• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Smash 4! (Kind of...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainblowCupcakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainblowCupcakes
A new movement tech has been discovered in Smash 4 and My Smash Corner has delivered an awesomely detailed video explaining what it is, how to do it, and it's uses and applications.

Anyone else excited for this? I can see it making a huge difference in the meta.

D

Deleted member 245254

A new movement tech has been discovered in Smash 4 and My Smash Corner has delivered an awesomely detailed video explaining what it is, how to do it, and it's uses and applications.

Anyone else excited for this? I can see it making a huge difference in the meta.
This was posted about back before Wii U version even released when 3DS first released but for some reason it didn't get much attention, I still remain impressed with the possibilities as I was months ago.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Been at this for about an hour. The best advice I can give for this is to not let the control stick hit the edge when you're doing the flick: I'm more recognizable terms, Smash for the Dash, tilt for the flick. It's been giving me much better results.

Spirst

Definitely something worth getting the input down for. Need to incorporate this into my own game more now.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Inb4 the patch
Oh crap the patch are coming...

Loving this tech by far. I gonna start using it. and smash attack Cstick are too useless because I do many smashes than tilts.
I gonna change right now not for the trick. I need new way to play.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I'm saying like one in the comment section of this video said:

"So Wavedashing isn't gone... it's just slightly nerfed and harder to do.

I like it."

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Been trying some with the 3DS but it's pretty hard with the circle pad for me.

Currently away so no access to the Wii U but I'll definitely try this out more when I get back home.

Looks pretty fun to be able to master and use this.

D

Deleted member

Well time to change my name controls so tilts are on the C-Stick, not smashes.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
What do you think it would be more better to have the C-Stick set to as with this tech?

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
In b4 "It's too hard to do, everyone else can do it, except me so I instantly hate it, plz remove"

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It isn't needless because it has a purpose.
A) While I never said the motion was needless, it actually is. The game played fine without it.
B) This is essentially a backstep. Were its inclusion intended, it would replace dashing backwards or rolling backwards or have some similarly simple execution, not what is literally a frame perfect double input one.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
A) While I never said the motion was needless, it actually is. The game played fine without it.
B) This is essentially a backstep. Were its inclusion intended, it would replace dashing backwards or rolling backwards or have some similarly simple execution, not what is literally a frame perfect double input one.
It played fine, yes. But now it can play even better. This opens a world of possibilities.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
- With this move, you slide a variable distance while being able to act and get hit at any time
- Dashing backwards (away) seems to be faster and lets you go any variable distance
- Rolling makes you invulnerable to attack during the roll, but you can only act at the end of your set roll distance

You know, some people do want to move on from Melee, they just need a reason to. People didn't move on from CS 1.6 when Source came out because there was no reason to. When CS:GO came out many moved over because they felt there was a reason to and it felt like the sequel to the game they enjoyed playing.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It played fine, yes. But now it can play even better. This opens a world of possibilities.
Yes. A whole load of gamebreaking, controller breaking, thumb breaking possibilities.
It was crap like this that made me want to move on from Melee. Brawl sucked and Smash 4 was hardly what I'd hoped for but it was still a fairly good game and one I thought I could get good at happily. Now it's looking to have even worse physical barriers than its predecessor.

Khao

Smash Lord
What I like about this is that's it's actually pretty intuitive.

Wavedash required jumping and dodging into the floor, resulting in a short slide through the ground. Both actions are completely unrelated.

Here? You literally just dash and quickly turn around, which leads to simply moving back a little bit, which makes sense.

I wouldn't even call this an exploit, it's just realizing that you have more control at the start of a dash than you'd expect.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't even call this an exploit, it's just realizing that you have more control at the start of a dash than you'd expect.
Unfortunately, by definition of exploit, it is an exploit. Weather that has negative connotations is up to you.

Developers probably didn't know about this. Developers knew about WD and yet people still call that an exploit. Lets hope some people don't become hypocrites.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Unfortunately, by definition of exploit, it is an exploit. Weather that has negative connotations is up to you.
Developers probably didn't know about this. Developers knew about WD and yet people still call that an exploit. Lets hope some people don't become hypocrites.
Developers knew about the ability to retain momentum when airdodging into the floor in Melee just as they knew about the ability to retain momentum when ending a dash in Smash 4. In neither case were they aware that a set of inputs could be performed such that 90% of the motion involved could be ignored so as to capitalize on the momentum generated and use it as a form of movement in its own right.

The situations are practically the same.

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
A couple of questions:

1. Was this in Brawl? If so why wasn't it used then? If people knew it was in the 3DS version too, why wasn't it more heavily incorporated?

2. This seems more useful for some characters than others. Would it even be useful for Rosalina to learn this for example since she only moves 2.5 "squares" compared to Yoshi's 4 or Falcon's 6?

3. This is probably a stupid question but can this be punished? If so, how exactly?

I know this is simpler than Melee's wave dashing, but I want to see the full potential and downfalls of this before I begin learning and incorporating it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
1. Was this in Brawl? If so why wasn't it used then? If people knew it was in the 3DS version too, why wasn't it more heavily incorporated?
Technically yes, it was in Brawl. That said though, Brawl didn't have nearly the level of dash momentum retention that SSB4 does. Try shielding out of dash in both games and you'll see why it's only viable in 4.
As for why it wasn't really used on the 3DS, it looks to be super difficult to perform non-jab moves out of this without a C-Stick.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Already started practicing how to do this. It's really fun and gives me a lot better spacing.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Needlessly complicated movement options overshadowing the intended ones cannot be considered anything else.
It doesn't overshadow anything. Each movement option serves a different purpose in high level play, so more options = more possibilities. There is nothing bad about that. Not to mention no one is forcing you to use it.

The game played fine without it yes, but it was significantly more limited. What's wrong with more options? Once again, no one is forcing you to use it.

Yes. A whole load of gamebreaking, controller breaking, thumb breaking possibilities.
Unintended depth does not break a game. If you don't want to stress your controller or thumb, simply don't use it. The level of difficulty just makes it more competitive, which is a good thing for competitive play.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
no one is forcing you to use it.
I sank months worth of hours into Melee, to the point where I could 4 stock every AI opponent on lightning mode with no difficulty at all. I was not just good at the game but as good as anyone could be without facing real opponents.
I go online and what's the first thing I hear? Learn to wavedash you scrub.
So don't try and tell me its optional because, if you try to act like you're a better player without such mechanics, even so much as once, the competitive community will jump on you and never let up. You want respect from fellow smash players, you have to suck it up and learn to play through the pain.

The level of difficulty just makes it more competitive, which is a good thing for competitive play.
This is a misconception. Difficulty of correct implementation and the thought that goes into knowing when that is are what make a mechanic good for the competitive scene, not input difficulty. L-cancelling was not good for the competitive scene, only the low landing lag that resulted was.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Why are people comparing this to wavedashing? I thought people hated melee for being glitchy then get all hype to find things that are similar or easier to do lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom