• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavebird or Wired?

ZeroPixelHitbox

Smash Cadet
What's your guys' opinion?
Wavebird or Wired?

Wavebird has a larger stick movement radius, but the wired controller has faster teching and whatever...

thanks.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Wavebird has a larger stick movement radius, but the wired controller has faster teching and whatever...
Where did you hear that? I thought that WaveBirds were identical to the wired controllers with the exception of the removed rumble pack and the additional components for the wireless elements (it was manufactured by Nintendo so I don't understand why it would be different). What do you mean by "easier teching"? Different triggers?

You should use a wired controller if you have the choice, though either will ultimately be usable. There are still problems with WaveBirds that don't exist with wired controllers:
• They can interfere with each other if someone else happens to use one (which is rare), so you should really be checking with any other users beforehand to make sure you're using different frequencies.
• They can be interfered with by other sources which are beyond your control.
• They don't have rumble (if you care about that).
• They require batteries.
• They're significantly more expensive.
• People have said they have significant input lag (though I don't know whether that's true or not).

Last edited:

silkys

Smash Cadet
Aren't they also illegal at big tournaments anyways? It seems kinda detrimental to break in a wavebird just so you could not use it in bracket.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm fairly sure they're not illegal. It's more of a hassle than a normal GCC on top of the input lag and stuff.

You won't be sitting far enough away from the TV for the wireless to actually be useful.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I'm fairly sure they're not illegal. It's more of a hassle than a normal GCC on top of the input lag and stuff.

You won't be sitting far enough away from the TV for the wireless to actually be useful.
They'd be illegal because of the interference, not because they could provide an unfair adantage. I would think that small events wouldn't bother with this restriction, but with something big like Apex the chances of multiple people using WaveBirds without realising that the others are too (and then the chances of them being on the same frequency) is significant. That said, I doubt it will be enforced in many cases anyway.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Larger stick radius? They are identical are they not?

But yeah, Wired all the way. Wavebirds are sticky feeling.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Since wireless anything came out I've always advised people against using them.

Coming from PC FPS background, one of my pet hates was seeing my team mates in the early days of gaming turn up to tournies with wireless mice. They had slight delay due to the wire, and performance issues as batteries started to drop off. In gaming where every little bit of performance is important - giving yourself a potential disadvantage, even if its only a few "ms" is just not worth it.

Top Bottom