• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wavebird causes online lag

juddapudda

Smash Rookie
yesterday, i was doing an online match with my cousin. he only lives about an hour away, but the lag was horrible and made the matches unplayable. i tried opening up ports on my router and all that stuff, but it still didn't seem to fix it. i don't know what possessed me, but we were in the middle of a terribly laggy match, when i thought that maybe the wavebird i was using might have something to do with it. i tried just a regular gamecube controller, and the lag immediately stopped. there is still a bit of a delay in our matches now, but nothing nearly as bad as it was before.
just though i'd share and see if it works for anyone else.

Teef And Claws

Smash Rookie
Hmmm... So maybee the wireless interferes with the routers signal, I wonder if the nunchuck can have this effect aswell? One thing I suppose you could try is changing the channel of your router if you wanna stick with the wavebird, it might help.

aeota

Smash Cadet
wow, i need to try this.. Im getting ridiculous lag online, and we use a wavebird. I havent been able to figure out the problem.. hmm.

aeota

Smash Cadet
I just used a wired turbo controller and still got immense (unplayable) lag, including button delay and frame lag. I'm somewhat pissed that I cant get play..

CitizenSweeps

Smash Rookie
WaveBirds work on an RF frequency which shouldn't interfere with your router. Any lag a Wavebird would cause would probably be button delay, and even then it would be something like a millionth of a second; if you don't notice the delay in regular play, it's not the fault of the controller if there's a delay in online play.

Wiimotes and nunchucks operate on a Bluetooth signal, which won't interfere with your Wavebird or router signals.

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
I hope it's not my little Wavebird.
I want to but more of them but Nintendo stopped production for some ridiculous reason.
Did they expect for us to play with the 'mote?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't think it's the wavebird. I get ridiculous lag sometimes and I am using a wired controller. As in, there have been times the game has frozen for a couple of minutes before resuming play, and other times where the game was moving at a consistent 1 frame per second or so. I think it's just people's connections (if one of your opponents has a slow or bogged down connection, everyone feels it) and Nintendo's overloaded servers, regardless of whether they have matches sent through them.

juddapudda

Smash Rookie
This is sheer ignorance. Sorry, but switching to a wired controller doesn't solve the problems.
i'm sorry, but as soon as i switched from the wavebird to the wired controller the lag stopped. please do not call me ignorant, i was just trying to share with others what solved my problem.

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
well, even if it wasn't the cause of the lag it's still an option to try. I myself have been using a wavebird this entire time and will be giving this a try reguardless of whether it works or not. Thanks for the post :D

Top Bottom