• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Wave Smashing" updated with vid.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=upLXveFz_rY

Did that grab your attention? Good. Ok, I'm not trying to claim I found a way to wavedash in Brawl nor that I was the first person to figure this out, but here is a little spacing tool for Samus. (I say for Samus because she benefits the most from this from what I've tested).

Basically all you are doing is using your shield to cancel your dash animation. To do this you have to be holding the direction, not tapping. If you tap you won't get your shield out. The result looks similar to a wavedash in Melee but with your shield popping up. Thankfully, in Brawl you can act very quickly after droping your shield. This allows us to "Wave Smash".

You can do another things too, like shield dash, turn around fully charged blast, tilts, whatever you like. For those of you that are skeptical, that's understandable. That's why I will post a video demonstrating this technique and some of it's applications this weekend.

Note: Any character can cancel their dash with a shield but from what I've seen Samus slides the most and can cancel the dash pretty early. A character like Captain Falcon pretty much can't shield cancel his dash animation, only his run.

ZorakBane

Smash Journeyman
yeah glad to see you're int eh brawl scene..
a lot of people are upset its not melee 2
i like the transition and im very happy

PS: i hated the transition from ssb to melee
PSS: keep figuring out mechanics i know you're capable mr computer science start reading the code with your eyes.. or just decompile it :-p

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking forward to the video to see if Samus can utilize this move to some great potential.

Edit: That's looking pretty sexy. :chuckle:

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
I want to see this technique in action, to see if it has some further uses. Also it would be nice to see if is more useful then wavedash to smashes, pivoting or croutch cancelling dashes. Please post a video showing this technique in action. Thanks.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Nice video, it's faster and further than I would have expected. That's pleasing. Also, I just got into work at 7:30, right when you're still up at 4:30 editing in the video - go to bed lol
I went to bed and woke up early O_o

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i thought someone already posted this in another brawl character thread

shield dashing is the way to go cuz u can attack out of shield right away
well gj for showing people that don't know already

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
From what I saw in the vid if you did it repeatedly it was only in one direction. It seems you can turn around and attack after it quickly; can you dash (then shield/slide) from it backwards?

You may have tried it at ~44s but I wasn't sure if that was your intention; you waited quite a bit after turning around before going at it again.

Does it seem feasible for you to do this as an approach to bait yourself then use it to pull back?

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
phanna must have told you about this first....lol jk. Good stuff....but constantly shielding will get quite bothersome...considering i haven't played yet ;_;. **** you phanna, you will be the best in FL because you have a playing time advantage...but rohins and i are still better than you hehehe.
I wonder if we will end up being able to do "good samus bad samus" again

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
phanna must have told you about this first....lol jk. Good stuff....but constantly shielding will get quite bothersome...considering i haven't played yet ;_;. **** you phanna, you will be the best in FL because you have a playing time advantage...but rohins and i are still better than you hehehe.
I think is this is discovered to be useful it will become second nature just like things did in melee. Also Esam I was meaning to get a hold of you about this

[thread=135553]Samus/Zamus online WiFi Fun Tournament Check it out[/thread]

hope you decide to do it as we are trying to recruit all the top Samus/ZSS players

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
lol Esam, phanna doesn't have brawl yet. Give it a shot when you get a copy the shielding doesn't slow ya down much.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Yeah, this technique is great. I just played brawl for the first time today, and it really helped me to kill opponents. Killing opponents with Samus seems alot harder now, pretty much just fsmash, dtilt, bair, and charge beam.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was actually thinking about this for awhile, and was hoping someone would try it out. Nice to see that it works like I thought it would. Nice work you guys!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
This looks absolutely beautiful! Imagine this combined with JC attacks. I found another thread that says you can JC any attack out of a shield. We have out new WD!! *Cheers* WOO-HOO!! *jumps around in room with underwear on*

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
this is very useful for spacing, will definetly work this into my game the next time i get to play brawl.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, this looks like it has a lot of potential, cant wait to see more vids of what this can do.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Wow I honestly thought this was going to be a wack thread, like all the "wavelanding" BS in Brawl Discussion. This actually looks incredibly useful, and is a great find. good **** man. *pound*

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why you coming up with new names for old stuff?

It's just shield dashing or shield approaching as others call it.

Eten

Smash Ace
Old waveshielding was a wavedash where you held shield so you slid with your shield up. (see: luigi approach to marth) It would be confusing to call it that. Given that the thread title is "wavesmashing" and is earliest discovery for said technique, it's easy enough to just stick with this name.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Wow I honestly thought this was going to be a wack thread, like all the "wavelanding" BS in Brawl Discussion. This actually looks incredibly useful, and is a great find. good **** man. *pound*

Why you coming up with new names for old stuff?

It's just shield dashing or shield approaching as others call it.
Did you even read the thread or are you just babbling about the title I gave it to draw attention?

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Seems like a very good tech for spacing and mindgames.
Speaking of spacing and mindgames, how well does foxtrotting work with Samus? I havn't heard much about foxtrotting with Samus and I'm curious as to which tech will work better for her or if they will be interchangeble.

Anyway, good find :)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dude. I saw the vid.

What I said was true. You dashed and shielded.

It's an old discovery.

Also, you said CF can only cnacel his run. This si true of everyone. It just so happens that Samus enters her full run very early so you can cancel her run into a shield sooner then most characters.

Top Bottom