• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Water = unfair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Everyone pretty much knows by now, that when you fall into water, you drown for a short time and then get your jump back and can leave. And the higher precent you are at, the longer you "drown" before you can do anything. But if you keep hitting people down into the water, they get pushed under, you get out of your "drowning" state faster than they do, and you can trap them there.

Shown in the first stock of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoEYcyBlbtE

I love the swimming feature, and think it's a lot of fun, but if this is what is to become of competitive-style water games, i think it's a bit too powerful.

Thoughts?

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Don't go into water? I think if your opponent can trap you into that, they deserve the kill. Water may not event be seen on neutral stages, so you wouldn't need to worry about it that often anyways.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Don't go into water? I think if your opponent can trap you into that, they deserve the kill. Water may not event be seen on neutral stages, so you wouldn't need to worry about it that often anyways.
Sometimes going into water is unavoidable. And we're nto talking about neutrals, so i dont know where you got that from. Wanna be counterpicked to like Great Sea where they do that to you?

Cheap tactics will always develop, and eventually people will get better at finding ways of getting people into the right situations.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Point taken. From the video you provided though, it looks like there were opportunities to get out of the water. I'm going to wait until I can play the game to pass judgment of course, but looking at it right now I think that isn't going to be a huge problem.

tanfastic

Smash Apprentice
Water is a cheap kill for most players (ones with good meteor smashes) so use mid air dodge? idk if it works in water...

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Everyone pretty much knows by now, that when you fall into water, you drown for a short time and then get your jump back and can leave. And the higher precent you are at, the longer you "drown" before you can do anything. But if you keep hitting people down into the water, they get pushed under, you get out of your "drowning" state faster than they do, and you can trap them there.

Shown in the first stock of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoEYcyBlbtE

I love the swimming feature, and think it's a lot of fun, but if this is what is to become of competitive-style water games, i think it's a bit too powerful.

Thoughts?
Water is COMPLETELY unfair for certain characters. Take Zelda for instance. When she falls into water on a stage like Tetra's Ship, she CAN NOT get out unless another character "helps" by hitting her in a way that will send her up. Her jump animation is too slow for her to get out on her own :<

If not for a poor feature like that, I wouldn't mind the water.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
The water is especially unfair on Jungle Japes, it can carry some characters far enough so they can't recover when they jump out.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
You can still move in the water, you know. That Samus only moved straight up - plus, you can use up-B to counter.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
While I can't comment on water in toon Link's stage, the water in the others isn't too bad, and regardless, it's still better than just falling to your death.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
Lol. Final Destination is unfair too! Characters with spikes have the advantage!!1

Some characters have advantages on some stages. Deal.

Zjiin

Smash Master
We tested this out yesterday as best we could, and yes, you can get trapped permanently under the water but it is VERY situational. They have to be at a decently high percent AND you have to call their movement left or right (which is very hard in already moving water aka Great Sea).

Great way to beat on scrubs, but any smart player will most likely not get caught in the act.

Will19

Smash Apprentice
Well, at Toon Links Stage i spiked my friend through the water and KO'd him. He was damaged around 50%. So I guess it depends on what stage the water is on.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
Too bad you can't use it in the Stage Builder.

I heard you can't use Water In the Stage Builder. :urg:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
this dosen't matter as there is no water on final destination
But Final Destination is pretty lame in smash, especially Melee. In Brawl, the only thing exciting is the music, and that KO trickster area below theedge.

Seriously, F*** FINAL DESTINATION! It's overrated as f***! It's not even a balanced stage (in Melee), it's just a spammer hell hold. Let's play Yoshi's Island (a much more balanced stage) instead. Final Destination gets boring after the 3rd to 5th match, anyways. Most overrated stage, ever! Seriously though, Final Destination IS a neutral stage, but it's not very fair. Final Destination favors light characters with good recovery, and that can spam. The only thing helping heavier characters is that it is smaller in Brawl, and those kill areas right under the stage.

And c'mon, unless you are in like the mid-low to mid 100 percentiles on up, you are not gonna die. Some light characters drown easier, but you know what? That is why they have the amazing recovery. THAT is balancing the gameplay for heavy characters, since they are usually at a disadvantage. This is very unlike perfectly flat stages that are laser spamming hell holds for birds in Melee. >_>

O, and I don't hate Final Destination, I like it. But it's totally overrated. If you want a much more balanced, better, and overall superior stage, play Dreamland 64. >_>

Tino's White Horse

Smash Journeyman
But Final Destination is pretty lame in smash, especially Melee. In Brawl, the only thing exciting is the music, and that KO trickster area below theedge.

Seriously, F*** FINAL DESTINATION! It's overrated as f***! It's not even a balanced stage (in Melee), it's just a spammer hell hold. Let's play Yoshi's Island (a much more balanced stage) instead. Final Destination gets boring after the 3rd to 5th match, anyways. Most overrated stage, ever! Seriously though, Final Destination IS a neutral stage, but it's not very fair. Final Destination favors light characters with good recovery, and that can spam. The only thing helping heavier characters is that it is smaller in Brawl, and those kill areas right under the stage.

And c'mon, unless you are in like the mid-low to mid 100 percentiles on up, you are not gonna die. Some light characters drown easier, but you know what? That is why they have the amazing recovery. THAT is balancing the gameplay for heavy characters, since they are usually at a disadvantage. This is very unlike perfectly flat stages that are laser spamming hell holds for birds in Melee. >_>

O, and I don't hate Final Destination, I like it. But it's totally overrated. If you want a much more balanced, better, and overall superior stage, play Dreamland 64. >_>
This person speaks the truth.

C Dawg009

Smash Cadet
^^ I was about to quote his post in the same way you just did lulz. XD

Either way, this thread is about water, not about Final Destination. >_> You kinda went off on a tangent there.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
I thought I heard somewhere that if you were "drowning" in the water long enough you'd get pulled under, was I mislead or does this still happen?

Btw, nice sig Karasu!

:3

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
This will be debatable for as long as people play the game competatively, some will like it, some won't. Only advice to those who won't/don't - use your weakness. Take what elements that being in water annoy you and use them on your opponent. If they're in there, you can stay out. If you're both in, try to get out first. If not, get them next stock. Psy.

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
I seriously doubt there will be many stages with water overall and in tournaments. Besides, water gives you a chance to recover, you should be thankful. If your charracter can't swim, to bad. You might have a good 3rd jump, but bad swimming abilities. So, water -sort of- balances the characters out.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The old water in Jungle Japes is a million times more unfair than any water in brawl. I don't think the water is enough to qualify for a ban.

S2

Smash Lord
Its a new element, people are going to have to learn how to play with it.

Water isn't going to get a stage banned, but we'll have to see if any water stage qualifies as a neutral. Some players are going to like water, other aren't. But not liking something doesn't make it "unfair".

SBJtagteam

Smash Rookie
well the water is there instead of nothing... so it actually helps if u fall in it... u should have died in the first place... just dont fall in it... that simple... avoid it...

JT_productions829

Smash Cadet
im still kindy edgey on the swimming thing. When i played, it really helped if you get knocked out. The toon link stage (i forgot the name) has a lot of water at the beginning and can really save you. But on the side, it kinda gets annoying if you hit someone off the boat and then they swim back.

Zjiin

Smash Master
People are completely going off topic. Despite what the title says, this is not a general "is water unfair?" This was a specific thread to target the strategy shown in the OP. We have tested and stated that it just isn't that easy to perform, so the topic should have ended.

Thread closed.

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
its a good little tatic, winning is winning, and if samus didn't fall into the water she woudln't have gotten trapped swim around and don't let falcon spike the **** out of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom