• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warlock Punch and You!

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Hey there!

Short and sweet, what do you, my fellow Ganon mains, use WP for? Franklin I cant seem to find a good use for it outside of toying with CPU's who dance around you until it finally hits them. :\

Should I just forget he even has a neutral special?

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Hey there!

Short and sweet, what do you, my fellow Ganon mains, use WP for? Franklin I cant seem to find a good use for it outside of toying with CPU's who dance around you until it finally hits them. :\

sadly it has no use in a real match outside showboating after a stock, lol.

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
maybe in doubles you can have your ally grab an opponent and you can warlock punch them while they're in grab lol

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it's mostly showboating and getting into your opponent's head by saying "i knew exactly what you were going to do, so you ate warlock punch".

or, if their shield somehow breaks.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I believe every move has a use. The Warlock Punch can be used if you expect your opponent to sidestep a move, and it can punish right after the invinsbility ends. I've tried this thrice with great success, though it's wifi, so can't say about real battles lol

CORY

wut
BRoomer
maybe if you're trying to catch another ganon sidestepping. or the opponent's trying to sidestep repeatedly during windup instead of doing anything else at all ever.

it's really just a super hard read move ("if i start it up then turn around, he'll roll behind me, panic then roll in front of me, lolz!") or if you break a shield.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
The only time I ever use it is when my opponent is hanging on the ledge. I back off from the edge a bit, and start it up and keep reversing it until they get off the ledge. At that point, I just take a wild guess to whether they'll try to get behind me or in front of me. I've only ever done this successfully like 4 times, so I can't say that it's very practical.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
As far as I can tell, based on my own experiences and various posts on these forums, the move's only real use is after the opponent's shield breaks and to whiff punish Jiggypuff's Rest.

Other than that, you may be able to land it once in a blue moon through some impractical edgeguarding shenanigans (like ShadowGanon posted above), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bazkip

Smash Master
The only time I ever use it is when my opponent is hanging on the ledge. I back off from the edge a bit, and start it up and keep reversing it until they get off the ledge. At that point, I just take a wild guess to whether they'll try to get behind me or in front of me. I've only ever done this successfully like 4 times, so I can't say that it's very practical.
It was so hype when you landed that in Ken's stream

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
The hardest of reads.

That is all.

In all honesty, I'd welcome a new move over it.

Unless you're living rent-free in your opponent's head, this move is never used.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
360 noscopes and 720 noscopes.
Yah there isn't much use to Warlock Punch save from styling on your opponent. It isn't even that necessary for punishing broken shields because a charged smash will have the same effect, so it all comes down to maximizing your swag.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Managed to pull off some shenanigans in doubles play when only one opponent was left at his last stock. I landed a Warlock Punch on both my teammate's and my opponent's shield, sending them both sliding off the stage, where my partner was immediately able to meteor him.
Warlock Punch as a set up, who would've thought?

Last edited:

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Managed to pull of some shenanigans in doubles play when only one opponent was left at his last stock. I landed a Warlock Punch of both my teammate's and my opponent's shield, sending them both sliding off the stage, where my partner was immediately able to meteor him.
lol, inventive... I like it!

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Managed to pull off some shenanigans in doubles play when only one opponent was left at his last stock. I landed a Warlock Punch on both my teammate's and my opponent's shield, sending them both sliding off the stage, where my partner was immediately able to meteor him.
Holy **** dude do you have video?
Also, I sometimes use it after flame choke for maximum swag, but there are safer things to do

Bazkip

Smash Master
Holy **** dude do you have video?
Also, I sometimes use it after flame choke for maximum swag, but there are safer things to do
We've got a Dazzle but we hardly ever use it, so unfortunately no video :\

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Teams. Infinite possibilities. Snake dart = free Warlock.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Hey there!

I don't know, I mean, you can wavedash with c. falcon into a fpunch and that sometimes works, so why not try it with G-dorf when you know the opponent has to come back on stage.

bandi

Smash Cadet
I don't know, I mean, you can wavedash with c. falcon into a fpunch and that sometimes works, so why not try it with G-dorf when you know the opponent has to come back on stage.
Cause his wavedash is just so... tiny and void.
I think there is probably one setup where WP would work. Dair=>WP - heavily depending on the enemy you're fighting. I didn't really test it, so don't take my words for granted.

Last edited:

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
But his wavedash can still get the right spacing if you start it at the right spot--but still, even trying to wp is pretty difficult. Were you thinking about Dedede for the D-air=>WP? I wanna try that with a bunch of characters now.

Mongoose132

Smash Rookie
But his wavedash can still get the right spacing if you start it at the right spot--but still, even trying to wp is pretty difficult. Were you thinking about Dedede for the D-air=>WP? I wanna try that with a bunch of characters now.
I'm almost positive that the hit stun from dair does not allow for a wp on d3.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost positive that the hit stun from dair does not allow for a wp on d3.
You can meteor cancel at certain percents with Dedede really well, so if Dedede messes up, then a well-timed WP can take him out. It would be tricky but doable if Dedede makes the right mistake.

jotun

Smash Ace
How do you reverse it more than once?

I've read that you can reverse it up to 4 times in PM, but I can't figure out how to do it more than once

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i've heard someone describe it as a dash dance timing. just try to repeat the same timing you have to use to turn around the first time (not just a b-reverse). it's tricky, but once you get the timing, that's all there is to it.

Triforce of Love

Smash Cadet
Obviously there will pretty much always be a more practical approach, but for any ganons looking to style it would be the dankest of swag kills. Bizarro Flame does an edge guarding move where he knocks an opponent offstage and if he has a predictable recovery option, his ganon will try to time the volcano kick and get him as he goes for the edge. This could also hypothetically be done with a warlock punch.

Here is a great example

Last edited:

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I have used WP to punish bad Marth players who don't sweetspot their recovery... but in that case it's just unnecessary swag.

I have also hit Zelda out of teleport, but once again, just for swag purposes.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Warlock Punch and now Warlock Sword is a great recovery punish. Use it as the opponent uses their up B and finish them off at early percents.

It can also be used for a risky play against someone who likes to shield grab.

Ex:
You keep using aerials
Opponent keeps shield grabbing
You go in for a fair or bair, but you Warlock punch instead
Opponent is thrown off guard and either
1) takes the hit
2) dodge
3) keeps shielding
4) reads you and punishes

The most likely of the four is the dodge in experience

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Warlock Punch and now Warlock Sword is a great recovery punish. Use it as the opponent uses their up B and finish them off at early percents.

It can also be used for a risky play against someone who likes to shield grab.

Ex:
You keep using aerials
Opponent keeps shield grabbing
You go in for a fair or bair, but you Warlock punch instead
Opponent is thrown off guard and either
1) takes the hit
2) dodge
3) keeps shielding
4) reads you and punishes

The most likely of the four is the dodge in experience
They have plenty of time to react to warlock punch (now side taunt) and hit you with most tilts/smashes or just grab. It's way too slow for a mixup like this, at best they get out of the way of the hit and are too slow to punish you after the move is over.

If the best case scenario (against any reasonable player) is nothing happens, we probably shouldn't do that

You can get some recoveries sometimes, though, if they don't expect it and we time it well.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
They have plenty of time to react to warlock punch (now side taunt) and hit you with most tilts/smashes or just grab. It's way too slow for a mixup like this, at best they get out of the way of the hit and are too slow to punish you after the move is over.

If the best case scenario (against any reasonable player) is nothing happens, we probably shouldn't do that

You can get some recoveries sometimes, though, if they don't expect it and we time it well.
I think you misunderstood. I am saying that it is good to use if you first train your opponent to react a certain way to your play style. They wouldn't go for a tilt if they think that you are going to FAir. Yes, they would still have some time to react and punish, but if you time it right it will work wonders by catching them off guard.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I think you misunderstood. I am saying that it is good to use if you first train your opponent to react a certain way to your play style. They wouldn't go for a tilt if they think that you are going to FAir. Yes, they would still have some time to react and punish, but if you time it right it will work wonders by catching them off guard.
That's literally never going to work on anyone with half a brain.

Anyways it's completely moot cause it's no longer in the game.

Bazkip

Smash Master
No, the Sword is there now and it's just a better version.
You were talking about jumping in with a Warlock Punch.
You can't do that with the sword taunt.

Only time it can ever work out is for edgeguarding, really.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You were talking about jumping in with a Warlock Punch.
You can't do that with the sword taunt.

Only time it can ever work out is for edgeguarding, really.
Oh yeah, you can't jump and Warlock Sword. Hmm. That sucks

Still it is really good as an edge guard tool.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I edgeguarded a Sheik with it successfully, but only because I recognized a recovery error and capitalized on it. It's still not really ever optimal to do, but it can be used situationally in edgeguarding on characters with linear recoveries like Falcon and Sheik, more so than I ever could with warlock punch. It's still only something that you'll only be able to land when your opponent messes up, though. That said, I'm a huge fan of the sword so far.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, the dtaunt is pretty much going to just be the ultimate disrespect edgeguard. you can't even punish predictable tech rolls with it, it's so slow : O

Top Bottom