• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Watch that crowdfarter video. Watch the intro cutscene to The Shake Dimension. Watch his idle pose in Wario Land 2, Super Mario 64 DS or Wario World. He often has his eyes half shut, and generally moves pretty sluggishly. One of the biggest things about him previously was that he was slower and less agile than Mario, but more powerful (and this is even directly apparently in SM64DS since both characters are playable.) Except for when he's in the thick of the action, Wario would rather be sleeping.
Well, I meant to say he's not like that in the field of battle.

'Cause y'know, if there's a competition, there's loot. :warioc:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You guys are ridiculous. His WarioWare incarnation was all about being as zany and wacky as possible. Wario is well-known for using unconventional methods for getting the upper hand, and this game is no different. I'd say his Acrofatic style is pretty becoming of him, and that short of pulling a G&W and making him use moves from various microgames, this was a very good direction to take him.

D

Deleted member

I would also like to point out that Wario was floaty in the first Wario Land, so his overall floatiness in Brawl could be reflective of that like Samus' is of the first Metroid.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You guys are ridiculous. His WarioWare incarnation was all about being as zany and wacky as possible. Wario is well-known for using unconventional methods for getting the upper hand, and this game is no different. I'd say his Acrofatic style is pretty becoming of him, and that short of pulling a G&W and making him use moves from various microgames, this was a very good direction to take him.
The think is, they put too much focus on Wario Ware and didn't put that much from Wario Land, which is a fairly large part of his franchise. They should have put the same or relatively the same amount of emphasis on both series.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Was Wario Land horribly underrepresented? Yes.
Did that make Brawl Wario a bad character? Hell no.

He was a blast to play as and unexpectedly ended up becoming my main.
I hope they integrate more Wario Land into him while also keeping him weird and unique.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Was Wario Land horribly underrepresented? Yes.
Did that make Brawl Wario a bad character? Hell no.

He was a blast to play as and unexpectedly ended up becoming my main.
I hope they integrate more Wario Land into him while also keeping him weird and unique.
He can play the same way without his moves being completely stupid though.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Wario, Marth and Metaknight were all in that old picture Sakurai posted. Let's hope Wario is also confirmed soon

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Wario was one of my mains in Brawl. Although I would like to see some more Wario Land rep, I do like the WarioWare ideas they came up with. The only change I would make to Wario's moveset is that his B needs to be changed to his infamous ram attack from Wario Land. Also, you should be able to charge it up, kinda like DK's B.
Wario better get confirmed some time soon, or I'll beat Sakurai over the head with a bat! :awesome:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If we got Project M Wario as Smash 4's Wario, I would literally **** myself.

Much as I love WarioWare, a series where Wario literally does nothing besides make video games should not be chosen over one where he actually does things for a moveset. Wario's signature move is his Shoulder Charge, it always has been. We got some dumbass bite that made no sense. Yeah, Wario's not above cheating and being weird to win, but he acted massively out of character in Brawl. Wario isn't retardedly wired, scrambling around like a cockroach. Wario is a brute, flinging his massive biceps every which way until everyone around him is battered and bruised.

Instead of Wario, we got "Japan, the Character". Leave the Game & Watch **** to Game & Watch. Let Wario be Wario.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724

Much as I love WarioWare, a series where Wario literally does nothing besides make video games should not be chosen over one where he actually does things for a moveset. Wario's signature move is his Shoulder Charge, it always has been. We got some ******* bite that made no sense. Yeah, Wario's not above cheating and being weird to win, but he acted massively out of character in Brawl. Wario isn't retardedly wired, scrambling around like a cockroach. Wario is a brute, flinging his massive biceps every which way until everyone around him is battered and bruised.
Leave the Game & Watch **** to Mr, Game & Watch.:gw: Let Wario:warioc: be Wario.
yes :warioc:'s Side special move So be his good old Shoulder Charge

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman

Much as I love WarioWare, a series where Wario literally does nothing besides make video games should not be chosen over one where he actually does things for a moveset. Wario's signature move is his Shoulder Charge, it always has been. We got some ******* bite that made no sense. Yeah, Wario's not above cheating and being weird to win, but he acted massively out of character in Brawl. Wario isn't retardedly wired, scrambling around like a cockroach. Wario is a brute, flinging his massive biceps every which way until everyone around him is battered and bruised.

Instead of Wario, we got "Japan, the Character". Leave the Game & Watch **** to Game & Watch. Let Wario be Wario.
Yeah...At first I thought Wario was OK, but then I replayed the Wario Land series. Then I remembered how Wario truly should play.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd like to see if the Earthshake Punch gets used as one of Wario's new special moves.

Basically, Wario would smack the ground hard, damaging anyone within his attack range.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is the D-Smash in Project M, as an aside.
It would make more sense than what Wario's d-smash is in Brawl. However, the Earthshake Punch does apparently mimic Charizard's d-smash. Of course, we've seen characters mimic attacks used by other characters more than once, so that's pretty much a moot point by now.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
OK, if Dedede is already confirmed, don't you think it's about time they reveal Wario? He was in that sketch on Twitter, so that means he's at least been considered.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I honestly can't see Sakurai ditching his interpretation of Wario, unfortunate as that may be. It's not like there's been any sort of outcry over the lack of Wario Land representation. Hell, most of the unwashed masses don't even like him because he's not "cool" or "cute".

If I do say so myself, one must have impeccable taste to enjoy Wario. Or, rather, one mustn't be a dunderhead. I'll keep playing Project M for my sweet, sweet Wario fix (although my skill with him has waned considerably since also starting to use Samus and Mewtwo; DAMN YOU SHINY NEW THINGS) and just pretend that Sakurai's Wario doesn't exist.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I honestly can't see Sakurai ditching his interpretation of Wario, unfortunate as that may be. It's not like there's been any sort of outcry over the lack of Wario Land representation. Hell, most of the unwashed masses don't even like him because he's not "cool" or "cute".

If I do say so myself, one must have impeccable taste to enjoy Wario. Or, rather, one mustn't be a dunderhead. I'll keep playing Project M for my sweet, sweet Wario fix (although my skill with him has waned considerably since also starting to use Samus and Mewtwo; DAMN YOU SHINY NEW THINGS) and just pretend that Sakurai's Wario doesn't exist.
I think it's quite well known that there was fan backlash, I thought that was why they added overalls Wario in the first place.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
A costume change and an entirely different character are two very different things.
When the first trailer came out, a lot of people were surprised and disappointed that Wario showed up and didn't look like the Wario they'd known and loved for so long. Overalls Wario was an attempt to address that, or so it seemed at the time.

D

Deleted member

I love how people praise the Project M Wario.....when there's not that many changes in moves.

I mean, I get it; it adds some of the iconic Wario Land aspects. But it's still a majority of what it was in Brawl.
Don't get me wrong, I like how P:M Wario is and think he should be a healthy mix of Wario Land and WarioWare like that, but it's bizarre to see people saying it's "better" than Sakurai's Wario, when it's still Sakurai's Wario for the most part.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I love how people praise the Project M Wario.....when there's not that many changes in moves.

I mean, I get it; it adds some of the iconic Wario Land aspects. But it's still a majority of what it was in Brawl.
Don't get me wrong, I like how P:M Wario is and think he should be a healthy mix of Wario Land and WarioWare like that, but it's bizarre to see people saying it's "better" than Sakurai's Wario, when it's still Sakurai's Wario for the most part.
Yeah. (I hate making one word posts!)

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457

It's better, but it's still not perfect. The removed the stupid Mr. Game and Watch run animation, and gave him four or five iconic moves that fit him much better than the moves they replaced. Of course we can say it's better when they changed things to make it better. If you add 5 cents to a pile of money, it's still more money than it was.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's better, but it's still not perfect. The removed the stupid Mr. Game and Watch run animation, and gave him four or five iconic moves that fit him much better than the moves they replaced. Of course we can say it's better when they changed things to make it better. If you add 5 cents to a pile of money, it's still more money than it was.
But if you take five cents away to get the new five cents you still have five cents...

That analogy is downright stupid.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much what Swamp said.
And when it comes down to it, not much was added in terms of things iconic to Wario.
Ground Pound (which was already in his down throw)
Earthshake Punch (which debuted after Brawl)
One-armed toss (I'm only counting this because it's inspired by WL4)

Shoulder Bash being moved from side smash attack to side special doesn't make it an addition. And in the same vein, the motorcycle, which has become iconic to Wario since 2003, was taken out.
The rest:
Flailing kick of fatness
Midair back punch

are not iconic whatsoever to Wario. Granted in the case of the back punch, what it replaced wasn't iconic either and the back punch is overall more useful of an attack, but it is just as iconic as the old back air attack; not at all.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
The motorcycle is part of Wario Ware and it's still there as his entrance. The shoulder bash working like it always had was a change, they didn't just move it from his side smash, they completely changed the way the move works to match the Wario Land games and gave it effects that resemble the ones in Wario Land the Shake Dimension. I think most people would say the new Dair Mario Tornado is a new move, it functions completely differently and it's only based on the other one, is this not at the very least a similar situation?
Also, they put the Swing Ding from Wario World on his back throw. His forward throw previously resembled the Swing Ding but it didn't make him move like it does in Project M. And the one-armed toss has been in every single Wario Land game, what are you talking about?

Wario Land Shake Dimension not being out yet means nothing, they got his victory theme and crawling animation from there.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
The motorcycle is part of Wario Ware and it's still there as his entrance. The shoulder bash working like it always had was a change, they didn't just move it from his side smash, they completely changed the way the move works to match the Wario Land games and gave it effects that resemble the ones in Wario Land the Shake Dimension. I think most people would say the new Dair Mario Tornado is a new move, it functions completely differently and it's only based on the other one, is this not at the very least a similar situation?
Also, they put the Swing Ding from Wario World on his back throw. His forward throw previously resembled the Swing Ding but it didn't make him move like it does in Project M. And the one-armed toss has been in every single Wario Land game, what are you talking about?

Wario Land Shake Dimension not being out yet means nothing, they got his victory theme and crawling animation from there.
His crawl animation didn't look like the one from WLSD to me...Oh wait, I'm thinking of the one when he's squished under an object and he's going "weurmeheowerwower"...Or at least it sounded like that to me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! was released in Japan on March 21, 2003. Perhaps Wario will be revealed to honor that game's anniversary.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I feel like the best way to represent Wario as a mix between the two games would basically be Project M Wario, but make shoulder bash his Neutral Special and Side Special would stay the Motorcycle

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Is there any chance that Wario will get a Waluigi color scheme?

If not, then I don't really intend on using Wario because basically I wanted this in Brawl and to me Wario and Waluigi are the same thing, except I kind of like Waluigi's color scheme better, in fact Waluigi's color scheme is pretty much the only reason why I even like Waluigi.

I was rather disappointed not to see a Waluigi color scheme on Wario, Luigi and Wario could have both had it.

D

Deleted member

Wario and Waluigi are the same thing?

....what in the literal ****?

TeamFlareZakk

Wario and Waluigi are the same thing?

....what in the literal ****?
I talking about how Wario looks the most identical to Waluigi, and considering Waluigi does not make it and I doubt he will, then the least they could do is give Wario a Waluigi color scheme, the Waluigi color scheme on Luigi doesn't quite cut it for me because Luigi doesn't look as identical to Waluigi as Wario does, and that's what I mean by Wario and Waluigi being kind of the same thing.

D

Deleted member

I talking about how Wario looks the most identical to Waluigi, and considering Waluigi does not make it and I doubt he will, then the least they could do is give Wario a Waluigi color scheme, the Waluigi color scheme on Luigi doesn't quite cut it for me because Luigi doesn't look as identical to Waluigi as Wario does, and that's what I mean by Wario and Waluigi being kind of the same thing.
I feel as though colors should only go to their counterparts, not the partners.
Like how Mario and Wario have opposite color options yet Mario and Luigi don't.

I'd rather Wario not get Waluigi colors in that regard, because it would just be a reminder that he won't show up anytime soon.

TeamFlareZakk

Well, @GoldenYuiitusin as unfortunate as it is, Waluigi probably won't show up again so might as well try to include him the second best way they could include him being a playable character and that's being a color scheme, and Wario looks just like him, so it would be so therefore Wario should get one.

I don't think counterpart has anything to do with anything, there's a chance Waluigi might never get in Super Smash Bros considering the history he has in Nintendo, he has no game of his own, only appears in games like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, and even though he's supposed to be a villain, he never even at least played the role of main antagonist like Wario did in Super Mario Land 2

Also I think Mario and Luigi should have each other's color schemes because I've played as Luigi in some games such as Super Mario World, and in those games Luigi is just a palette swap of Mario, and that needs to be acknowledged, much like Daisy is pretty much a clone of Peach, thus it's easy giving her a Daisy costume.

Another good reason is Wario acts more like Waluigi.

@GoldenYuiitusin by your signature I see you support Waluigi someday being in Super Smash Bros, and I too would like that, but we need to work with the best we can get and the best you could get that is the closest thing to playing as Waluigi, is Wario with a Waluigi color scheme, not Luigi with a Waluigi color scheme.

I thought in Brawl Luigi having the Waluigi color scheme and Wario not having it was a worse reminder of not seeing Waluigi, and that's because Luigi looks nothing like Waluigi, however at least Wario kind of does.

Also I think it could replace one of these, especially that pink one or that brown one.

Wario looks good in Waluigi's color scheme, in fact he looks very identical to the real thing in which as I see it would actually help in filling in that empty void of not having Waluigi because I felt Luigi didn't with his Waluigi color scheme.

Another thing if I hear Waluigi is a Assist Trophy, which I probably will, I'm not gonna care, all I'm going to care about is the question will Wario get a Waluigi color scheme.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I thought in Brawl Luigi having the Waluigi color scheme and Wario not having it was a worse reminder of not seeing Waluigi, and that's because Luigi looks nothing like Waluigi, however at least Wario kind of does.

Wario looks good in Waluigi's color scheme, in fact he looks very identical to the real thing in which as I see it would actually help in filling in that empty void of not having Waluigi because I felt Luigi didn't with his Waluigi color scheme.
I... WHAT? How in the holy hell does it not make sense for Luigi to get the color scheme?
Wario is intentionally designed to be an over-exaggerated anti-Mario. Waluigi is exactly the same thing except for Luigi.

Top Bottom