• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread

dumcb

Smash Rookie
The Waft increases.

So I'm back again. I started playing smash about 8 months ago and went to a tourney at my college shortly thereafter. Got shreked, the usual, but I switched to Sonic as a villager pocketed my bike (First I ever encountered that, but I beat him with Sonic!).

I'm looking back now and wondering if Sonic is a good side main? I can see how Villager suffers as well against rushdown, but wouldn't Sonic force them to play differently? From what I read it looks like he does decently against most other top tiers.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
The Waft increases.
Yeah I might be joining you guys soon. With Fox, characters like Rosalina and Luigi give me a headache and given I'm a patient person to begin with, I think Wario is a good choice to back up my Fox. I also play Robin, but I honestly only play him because I love his character and gameplay, I submit to the fact that Robin is a very poor character overall.

Given that it's possible Wario beats Rosalina and Sonic, I'm tempted to play him.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I think Mario is definitely the go-to for a side character. His ease of use is a huge plus, pure fundamentals will carry you far. The only match-up I think we absolutely need to switch for is Sheik and Mario is one of her most difficult match-ups, so that's dandy. Any other match-up you personally can't handle with Wario, Mario probably at least has it even.

I'm looking back now and wondering if Sonic is a good side main? I can see how Villager suffers as well against rushdown, but wouldn't Sonic force them to play differently? From what I read it looks like he does decently against most other top tiers.
Villager does have a hard time with Sonic. If you're comfortable with him, he'd be great for that. He does alright against Sheik but you'd likely need to put a lot of practice in to get that match-up really down w/ Sonic if you want to use him for it to beat dedicated Sheik mains.

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
What about R.O.B. as a potential secondary/side main? I was playing him the other day and my friend said I was pretty good with him. He also thinks he can cover some of Wario's bad match ups with his projectiles and overall range, while still having cool item tricks with his top and good survivability with his recovery and weight. Thoughts?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What about R.O.B. as a potential secondary/side main? I was playing him the other day and my friend said I was pretty good with him. He also thinks he can cover some of Wario's bad match ups with his projectiles and overall range, while still having cool item tricks with his top and good survivability with his recovery and weight. Thoughts?
Feels like they both share the same bad MUs to me. I especially don't think Wario is a good answer for ZSS to help ROB.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Wario players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Wario and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Im a pac man main trying to secondary wario so perhaps it could work vice versa honestly they got some similarities .

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Guess I'll try out Fox, since it's good to have diversity in your character choices, and you say he helps with Wario's weaknesses without outright tier whoring.

Mario is tempting, but there are a lot of Mario mains in my area so a lot of people know the matchup.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Im a pac man main trying to secondary wario so perhaps it could work vice versa honestly they got some similarities .
Go for it, if you think you can make it work. It's not like it is a bad idea, Abadango came in 4th with those two and Rosalina.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Toon Link is the character I use the most besides wario and I say they are both pretty solid to switch between. Dedede was my old main and now one of my secondaries and he's a good transition from wario and can be a good battle against a shiek. Rob might also be good since he rewards patience just like wario and he's projectile based so he'll destroy characters like DK, bowser, etc.

Warumon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0559-6761-8614
Yea I picked up dedede as my second after I was using Olimar as my second (Olimar was a real good second trust me) and dedede just felt right to use as a Wario main.

Now that I think about it the main reason I used Olimar was to counter villager and it worked for the most part (I still keep him as a pocket for that reason).

Last edited by a moderator:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I posted a video to youtube showcasing a bit of how to use the edge dash in a practical setting. Technically speaking it's a pretty terrible match on my part, but the edge dashes are awesome!

https://youtu.be/mgklryvjAEA

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
I co-main Yoshi and Wario. Wario is more like my secondary but I use him about as much as Yoshi now.

I've toyed with Dedede and like him a lot, my biggest weakness with Yoshi and Wario is the sword wielders. It seems like D3 handles the likes of Marth pretty well. Thoughts?

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
This was my first tournament, but I managed to win, surprisingly. The competition was tough since it was one of the majors in the Philippines. I didn't really play my best because I was really nervous xD

These are just some of my tournament matches

Last edited:

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
I've always liked Dedede myself and I definitely think he fixes Wario's range problem. People here have also mentioned that 3D's Sheik matchup is not bad, which is surely Wario's worst matchup. 3D also handles sword and heavy match ups well, which also handle Wario's more difficult match ups. I mained them both in Brawl and did alright (even though I didn't really go competitive), plus they're both really fun to play.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Yay I won another tournament with Wario! I think I played very well this time. I'd also love it if someone critiqued the way I played, as advice would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Hey wario mains. Been working on my Wario lately. I'm a Dedede main but I'm working on getting decent with Wario and want to use him as my main secondary. In large part to cover the Sonic matchup. I may end up maining him if Dedede doesn't get a buff in a future patch.

Here's a few videos of me playing against a pretty good Sonic. Looking for feedback...if you could please point out things I'm doing consistently wrong that would be awesome. You don't really need to point out one time mistakes. And please be kind :D I know my Wario isn't all that great right now. Oh and my waft game is in need of tons of work. I usually miss. There were also a few bad misinputs where I accidently Down B'd off stage I also think I may be rolling too much and not using nair enough? Thanks!

game 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64HqA4rGAKo
game 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BhxdNhtM0
game 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnbQG1dr85A

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Not that it has anything to do with Wario himself, but I read that many people look for secondaries to pick for bad Wario matchups. Am I the only one who doesn't pick secondaries?

I don't like the idea of needing to have another character to cover up at certain areas for a character. I like the thought of us being able to use anyone against anyone as long as we're good enough :\ For example, I main Ganon and Wario, and if I entered a tournament, I'd stick to one of them. I'd rather lose as Ganon than needing to change to a different character because it's a bad matchup for Ganon. Kind of the same with Custom Moves. I don't like the idea that some characters become better with customs, and that you have to rely on Customs with some characters. I want to be able to use my main and be able to win.

Aaaaaanyway, here's a Wario montage I made some weeks ago! Hope you like it ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9DWXg_09g

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Not that it has anything to do with Wario himself, but I read that many people look for secondaries to pick for bad Wario matchups. Am I the only one who doesn't pick secondaries?

I don't like the idea of needing to have another character to cover up at certain areas for a character. I like the thought of us being able to use anyone against anyone as long as we're good enough :\ For example, I main Ganon and Wario, and if I entered a tournament, I'd stick to one of them. I'd rather lose as Ganon than needing to change to a different character because it's a bad matchup for Ganon. Kind of the same with Custom Moves. I don't like the idea that some characters become better with customs, and that you have to rely on Customs with some characters. I want to be able to use my main and be able to win.
Most people look for secondaries to pick for matchups they don't like, regardless of what character they pick. It's not terribly uncommon for someone to power through with the few they enjoy, but secondaries for certain matchups are a normal part of competitive play, really.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I thought I'd share this. Outside the broken shield, I thought I did a magnificent job in suffocating this Ganondorf.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Videos are finally up from an event in north Alabama last month. I would tell you to ignore the commentary. :p

vs. DanGR (Rosalina):

vs. Spade (Captain Falcon, only first game is as Wario):

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Videos are finally up from an event in north Alabama last month. I would tell you to ignore the commentary. :p

vs. DanGR (Rosalina):

vs. Spade (Captain Falcon, only first game is as Wario):
Wow Reflex, this is pure coincidence, but it looks like you and I have the same secondary in Falco (if he is indeed your secondary that is). Would you say that Falco covers all of Wario's non-Sheik weaknesses well or do you use him just for fun like I do?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
What sets here should I be watching for good wario play? Outside of Abadango, of course, I'm not sure what good wario play looks like, so I'm not sure whose matches I should be taking notes from.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I haven't really watched anyone's play, but the Wario players people regularly mention are Wafty, Jeepy Sol, Magik, and myself.

I can confirm that I am very good.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I like Lylat and FD. But really halberd is sheiks counterpick, you really shouldnt do that again.
Haha I don't think it's that bad. Wario can abuse low ceilings. Lylat sets up for tipper usmash pretty easily for shiek so I wouldn't go there. Also hard to land there vs a character like sheik

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Haha I don't think it's that bad. Wario can abuse low ceilings. Lylat sets up for tipper usmash pretty easily for shiek so I wouldn't go there. Also hard to land there vs a character like sheik
You're right about the up smashes, but one thing I like about Lylat is the tilting stage throws off her needle camping at times and can end fair strings earlier.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I never found wario to like low ceilings, I'd say somewhere near 80% of my KOs are horizontal.

Top Bottom