• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
When Wario is at kill percent it's obviously better to air release him into a kill move, which is what happened to Reflex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovLtEIur65w&t=14m27s . I was just explaining why it happened.

Edit: Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then. :)

Edit 2: And yet I can't get Wario to air release like Seibrik did. Maybe he doesn't air release if he's grabbed in the air. Maybe Reflex needs to stop pressing jump when mashing?

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
Oh, don't get me wrong Dyno; I think Reflex's mashing abilities are great! I was just giving a little suggestion. Though looking back at the post it did seem a little critical. Sorry about that!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
With Wario, generally I break out of grabs by pressing A slowly. The only time I really mash out with all my might is against guaranteed grab releases like D3, Snake and also against Ice Climbers.

Exdeath

Smash Master
With Wario, generally I break out of grabs by pressing A slowly. The only time I really mash out with all my might is against guaranteed grab releases like D3, Snake and also against Ice Climbers.
Seibrik is very good about mashing without pressing a jump button. I don't recall how he mashes out, though.

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
So some characters can get guaranteed air releases against Wario no matter what?
Yes. The characters are Snake, Marth, Dedede (only with dash grab and I think also pivot grab), Zero Suit Samus, Peach, DK, Ike, Shiek, Ivysaur, Yoshi, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

Any character can air release Wario if he's hanging off a ledge though.

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
Correct, as long as Wario isn't off an edge when being grabbed. I heard someone say that grabbing a character when they're in the air just above the ground followed by one pummel will force an air release, but I tested it and got negative results so yay.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Yeah, but that's the disadvantage you get for playing Wario :(. One disadvantage out of few for him.
What disadvantage? I don't know of such a thing as a wario main.

Just fart on them in real life if they do that.

Nevermind, I love all my Wario brothers. I couldn't do that to them.

Gichan

Smash Champion

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Gpx0n5bMM&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7U-GYj_JLs&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43K2BU9cTk&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WobjRE01EQ&feature=related

I really need help with this MU. I watched the set again but I just find myself gettign outspaced. I was even starting to roll to try to do something. Wario has to work really ****ing hard in this MU to do even anything. Any input would be great.
I think you just need to slow down and try to control the match a little more. You missed some opportunities to punish but I'm not sure how big that was. You should make marth come to you especially when you have the lead and make him work for the kills. Def shouldn't let him get away with so many fsmashes. Control the tempo against Marth and don't rush and you should win. Game 3 was probably your best match because you used fair the most. Game 1 was good because of the wafts. just relax more and control the tempo. Also you shouldn't willing go to the ledge against Marth.

SAX

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Gpx0n5bMM&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7U-GYj_JLs&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43K2BU9cTk&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WobjRE01EQ&feature=related

I really need help with this MU. I watched the set again but I just find myself gettign outspaced. I was even starting to roll to try to do something. Wario has to work really ****ing hard in this MU to do even anything. Any input would be great.
I'll see if I can do a write up of this when I'm free. Marth's aren't as hard as wario's boast him up to be. I personally think It's an even MU because wario has the ability to easily weave in and out of Marth's zones. Also, If you feel yourself coming to a plateau in your playing, take a break. Like, Don't play for 5-7 days. You'll be suprised by how much better you get.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
A good Wario can weave in and out pretty well, and punish mistakes good. Marth does outspace Wario, but Wario has a lot more speed, and I think it is a minor disadvantage. Wario loves to punish, so punishing Fairs is good to do if you can get in quick enough. Wario can camp Marth to charge the waft, and use tires if he gets the chance.

SAX

Smash Ace
I think you just need to slow down and try to control the match a little more. Control the tempo against Marth and don't rush and you should win. just relax more and control the tempo.
This part is very accurate. Really work on trying to to feel like marth is the one that has to work hard to win.

I disagree with the ledge game though. Wario can mess with Marth on the ledge and get him into uncomfortable positions. Tires help with ledge trapping as well.

I should be free this weekend to write up your matches Gichan.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This part is very accurate. Really work on trying to to feel like marth is the one that has to work hard to win.

I disagree with the ledge game though. Wario can mess with Marth on the ledge and get him into uncomfortable positions. Tires help with ledge trapping as well.

I should be free this weekend to write up your matches Gichan.
when I said it about the ledge I meant as he shouldn't willingly go to the ledge against marth.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Long time no see Wario boards... been really busy with exams (got one more on Monday :( )
I've been through the last few pages to update myself...

Haha theory crafting is so laaaame I wanna play you dude! Where do uou live RedHalberd? If I ever happen to drop by that state we should totally smash.

While I agree that MK can be deadly with tires, his moveset really just doesn't mesh as well imo and he also has waaaay slower air speed. Wario has really good mixups with tire throws and bite, plus a lot longer range that he can punish from with deadlier moves than MK has (Uair, Fart, Nair for combos).

I'm not saying Wario is unbeatable with tires, but they DO help a lot in the matchup and they are a lot better than people realize. I would safely say that I would rather have a tire than not have a tire against MK.
Partially agree, tires give Wario a slight advantage because they take the wind out of MKs sails very quickly. If an MK is controlling the match, and Wario has a tire in his hand, the MK's first priority is instantly to get rid of the tire because any MK that knows the matchup knows the damage that tires can potentially do if he isnt careful around them.

Default match scenario: MK outspacing and keeping Wario's momentum snuffed.

Match scenario when Wario has a tire: MK aims to restore the Default match scenario which is in his favour

it gives Wario that little bit more options for MK to consider. More than anything else, tires are an amazing source of mindgames which Wario can use to bait a reaction and punish.

although Pwneroni you're getting much better but I think Red Halberd would take your lunch money if you played.

Hey halberd you really think its hard to place with wario? I would think it would be rather easy
Warios typically only go so far in tournament until they encounter an MK, :dedede:, Marth or Peach who knows the matchup.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I don't need to take a break from playing lol I play like once or twice a month at the moment lol. I actually wish I could play more, like start on wifi again, so I can improve, but life's busy right now.

I also have this feeling that when I play a lot on wifi, I'm not actually improving....weird...in fact I feel I sometimes get worse. Does anyone else get this at all by any chance?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
I had some good matches recorded of me vs Dmac (TL) and me vs Bladewise (Marth) from the tourney yesterday that should be up sometime in the next few days

I'll post them when they are up ^_^

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't need to take a break from playing lol I play like once or twice a month at the moment lol. I actually wish I could play more, like start on wifi again, so I can improve, but life's busy right now.

I also have this feeling that when I play a lot on wifi, I'm not actually improving....weird...in fact I feel I sometimes get worse. Does anyone else get this at all by any chance?
I think it depends on what you judge yourself on. If you play wifi just to win games then you're prob not going to improve.However, if you play to get a feel for some MU's and to try things out and get reads on your opponent then you could improve that way as well. But yeah I've felt like that though. It can be tough.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I really liked the vid.

One suggestion though:

Make it a pure wario video. Everyone use wario and do cool stuff.

BPx

Smash Lord

BPx

Smash Lord
Croi, you use clap really well. I didn't know the hitbox went that far below him until I rewatched the hitbox video.
You also play incredibly smart, keep up the good work.

Top Bottom