• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does Wario's Dacus have good offensive uses or it mainly to cover ground?
Its offensive uses are limited, due to even moderate SDI making many DACUS attempts quite punishable. If you do it, you should aim to hit someone far away, so that they have fewer hits to SDI out of, or used as a punisher. Either way, you want to hit with the later portion of it to minimize potential SDI.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I'm really liking Bite -> DACUS right now haha, ever since I changed R to attack DACUSes are sooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much freaking easier. Literally every time I try to do one, it is successful.

A good time to use DACUS is when you send an opponent away and you read their airdodge. DACUS will catch up to them in a jiffy, and just like Reflex said, it will hit with the later part of the Usmash so they will have a harder time SDI'ing (or none at all if you just hit with the last 2 or 3 hits).

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I believe the matchup is 50-50. I've played against t0mmy (arguably best ROB in the world) a TON, as you can see a bunch of our matches are in the video thread. ROB has really good aerials with a lot of priority, but if Wario can bob and weave well enough, he can maneuver around ROB's hitboxes and land some good hits of his own.

ROB outranges Wario, so this matchup has to be played at a much slower pace than other matchups. He is really great on the ledge, so be careful in edgeguarding scenarios (Fair will kick your ***). If he camps on the ledge, the best he can do is stalemate or hit you with a few projectiles; don't attack him while he's hanging there, he is a shark and you are a fisherman. Wario has to find an opening before he can go on the offensive, and if ROB plays right those openings are few, far between and very small to boot. However, when Wario DOES get inside ROB's defense, he can do some serious damage. This is a big metal ROBOT we're talking about here, he is heavy and thus easier to combo, his airdodge is great but if you read it then he is pretty much doomed.

Tires are super helpful against ROB. They give you range, something that SERIOUSLY helps in this matchup, and although ROB's gyro is all around a better projectile, the proper usage of tires will net an advantage IMO.

Matchup: 55:45, Wario's favor, tires give a +5.
Just like I thought; R.O.B. has a disfavour but it isn't that big. 45:55 to R.O.B. seems and sounds pretty accurate to me. Thank you for your contribution!

SAX

Smash Ace
No, it's not. Better than using Wario, for sure. Everyone just uses Pokémon Trainer incorrectly. Game and Watch is a ****ty character, anyway.
Which pokemon do you feel does the best against gaw? I'm kinda interested to your preference of pt over wario for this mu.

:phone:

jbandrew

Smash Lord
sooo, could you say this is the basic definition of how to play wario:

"Jump and airdodge just outside your opponents range. Then play the "hit my sheild game" by maneuvering yourself out of their range and into a spot where if they were to hit your sheild they'd get punished. Once they do, punish them. Done."

What do you guys think?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Which pokemon do you feel does the best against gaw? I'm kinda interested to your preference of pt over wario for this mu.

Squirtle, because he generally outspeeds him. He does everything that Wario would like to do in the matchup. He can juggle a G&W to hell and back, has lingering aerials that are hard to punish, has more reliable options after SDI'ing, can easily punish a grounded Up-B on reaction, has a great ground game that allows him to rely on something other than his aerials, can counter G&W aerials by making them last forever with Water Gun and then punishing accordingly, and can camp about as well if he needs to. There's a lot going for him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
sooo, could you say this is the basic definition of how to play wario:

"Jump and airdodge just outside your opponents range. Then play the "hit my sheild game" by maneuvering yourself out of their range and into a spot where if they were to hit your sheild they'd get punished. Once they do, punish them. Done."

What do you guys think?
I rarely do any airdodging when trying to space. I don't think it's all that important outside of running away or the occasional approach option.

EDIT: Curses--Forgive me for double posting.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why is G&W a really bad MU for Wario? What are other bad MUs of his?
It's not a terrible matchup. It's just boring and frustrating and a little in G&W's favor. Wario has a bad ground game, so he's often forced to go up against G&W's large aerials, which isn't the best thing in the world. Wario's plan is to camp like a little *****, and that's boring.

Meta Knight, Marth, and King Dedede are generally accepted to be his worst matchups. Some people say Peach, but I don't really understand those people.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question: Would it be better to punish tornado with a grab, and 1 or 2 pummels to forward throw? Or is a different move better?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've got a question: Would it be better to punish tornado with a grab, and 1 or 2 pummels to forward throw? Or is a different move better?
Meta Knight's horizontal aerial mobility during Mach Tornado is so good that you'll never really know where he'll be at the end. I usually pivot grab more-or-less in place, pummel once, and go for a throw. D-Smash is good, too, since it covers both sides of you in a way that F-Smash doesn't, but you should only use it when you know it will hit and when they're not at very low percents.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't of thought of d-smash, because i hate the lag on it. Also, what options does Wario have that go through the tornado, if any?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wouldn't of thought of d-smash, because i hate the lag on it. Also, what options does Wario have that go through the tornado, if any?
The only thing I'm aware of that straight-up goes through it is F-Tilt, but unless you tag him at the beginning of it, no Meta Knight with a brain is going to be obvious enough for you to land it through Mach Tornado. F-Smash, too, I guess, but, that's even harder to land reliably. Don't count on either of them.

Waft (and not necessarily the fully charged one), a tire throw/Z-Drop, the second hit of N-Air, D-Air, and F-Air are fairly reliable options if you come down on the top of Mach Tornado. Waft's large hitbox gives it more leeway than the other moves; you can be on the top-left or top-right and it will work.

B-Air can do it if you're spaced perfectly (read: lucky).

If you throw the bike at Mach Tornado, that'll beat it. :p Unfortunately, Mach Tornado eats tires from the side. :(

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thanks. Do each of his aerials need to hit certain places for them to beat it? I've hit a tornado with a dair from the top of it, but can it hit it from the side?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Okay, thanks. Do each of his aerials need to hit certain places for them to beat it? I've hit a tornado with a dair from the top of it, but can it hit it from the side?
Like I said, you have to land from the middle of the top for pretty much everything except Waft.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I count on Ftilt to go through tornado, you're right Fsmash can but it's waaaaay more precise in the timing. As for hitting MK with Ftilt, you simply have to make a slight read (tornado has a startup longer than Ftilt).

SAX

Smash Ace
It's not a terrible matchup. It's just boring and frustrating and a little in G&W's favor. Wario has a bad ground game, so he's often forced to go up against G&W's large aerials, which isn't the best thing in the world. Wario's plan is to camp like a little *****, and that's boring.

Meta Knight, Marth, and King Dedede are generally accepted to be his worst matchups. Some people say Peach, but I don't really understand those people.
I'm one of those people lol. I play kyon pretty often, and his spacing is so perfect i feel like i can never get in. I probably just need to stop falling for his bair and turnip traps.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Peach is a pretty tough matchup for Wario... her aerials are just... death. and if she grabs you at low% she has a free 50% uair string. she can grab release us into her most powerful move (usmash) which kills at ~100% and her bair can lock us out completely.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Peach frame traps Wario in rough spots. That's why she wins.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It doesnt seem fun...i've tried against a couple haha. I'll just stick to pit for that one :p

@DMG you don't post much do you? lol. Are you still actively going to tourneys? How come no vids? :p

Inferno3044

Smash Master
My main for now is Mario so I might use him against Peach. Or I'll pick up Falco (been meaning to pick him up for D3 who apparently does well against Wario).

How does Wario do against IC's, Falco, and Pikachu?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
My main for now is Mario so I might use him against Peach. Or I'll pick up Falco (been meaning to pick him up for D3 who apparently does well against Wario).

How does Wario do against IC's, Falco, and Pikachu?
I believe the first two are 50:50...some may disagree. Pika is 60/40 our favor apparently. wario is more about baiting and punishing for kills...only "setups" involve footstools tire traps or common follow ups.

SAX

Smash Ace
I might stick to Mario when against Peach or pick up Falco.

How does Wario do vs. ICs, Falco, and Pikachu?

What are some good kill setups that Wario has?
I think wario has an edge in the IC MU, 55:45. I agree with the rest of what kuro said lol

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I think wario has an edge in the IC MU, 55:45. I agree with the rest of what kuro said lol

I could see that...

@Reflex...honestly from what I'VE seen i think it's about as bad as marth. Not worse but as bad. She applys better pressure imo. And her aerials are much more safer. On the other hand...if she floats in any way while you have fart....

BOOM :D

Lmao @ much more safer...much more safe*

Peach is so good with tires though :(

SAX

Smash Ace
I don't think it's as bad as, say, Marth, though.
IMO, peach is harder than marth. But maybe that's because cfl has kyon and like no marth players lol. I got the chance to beat a notable Marth player in a MM. I think it's just because we don't have good Marths here xD

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
IMO, peach is harder than marth. But maybe that's because cfl has kyon and like no marth players lol. I got the chance to beat a notable Marth player in a MM. I think it's just because we don't have good Marths here xD

Mike and chaz are pretty legit. Idk what you talkn about XD. They definitely are close to or upon that status. Chaz IS a top marth as well lol.

Oh i kinda agree with peach being harder but i think it's more so the same as marth. Like, it could be both imo. I feel peach is way more safe than marth which is what makes it harder.

Top Bottom