• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
@ bc1910 bc1910

Dunno if I'll be much help since I really don't know this MU at all so it'll be a more of a general thing. Real talk though, "how do I beat Wario?" is probably my least favourite question since it's actually, largely MU dependent, and I can't say much on that for the most. Wario's really versatile, safe and option rich without any exploitable weakness outside of his range which can be worked around.

Which is really all I can tell you. His range is baaaaad, especially on his safest move so he really has to be precise and patient with his footsies. I don't know how much Greninja can take advantage of Wario's awful range though. It's tricky because Greninja has the mobility, just not the frame data.

@ObZenIV

There isn't any but Wario's crouch isn't particularly noteworthy.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus Yeah, Greninja's fast moves tend to have fairly low range and vice versa. His fastest ranged moves are Ftilt and dashgrab both of which are great, but he struggles after that. Usmash and Fsmash don't have terrible startup (11 and 12 frames respectively) but they have a lot of ending lag. Pre-patch Usmash was amazing against Wario, in fact it pretty much trivialized the MU against any character who likes to stay in the air (except Yoshi, he was still annoying) unless they were willing to adapt, shield properly and fight Greninja on the ground. But with Usmash's current ending lag he doesn't have a low risk answer to a Wario hovering around his head. Utilt can work but the range lets it down. It is safe and fairly rewarding though, plus the tongue is invincible so it can get through Wario's Dair, I should probably use it more.

Last edited:

dumcb

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you have any tips for offstage play on Wario, basically general strategy.

For example, I've read that the W Man has some good gimping potential, and I'm wondering how to exploit that. It's not generally my playstyle, but Wario's recovery options are so good I can't afford not to try.

Do I do the jiggly and attempt to chase them offstage with fairs/bairs? It seems semi viable and I'll try to test it out later. Or do I do dairs near the ledge? (Seems inconsistent)

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Offstage play with Wario is huge because his bike and waft pretty much ensure he will be making it back to the stage so you can feel free to chase your opponent off stage like I sometimes do. Of his moves, the best ones to gimp someone recovering horizontally are f-air and chomp.

F-air is fast and you can often use it multiple times. I use it to trade with a Mario or Roy who are trying to recover as even the sour spot will usually put them in an awful position

Chomp can cripple a low to mid percent opponent as they will break out of it early and allow you to knock them further away with a f-air or recover. I use this more often when my opponent's recovery doesn't have a hitbox

I don't usually use b-air to gimp since it has a lot of end lag. If you're confident it will hit go for it.
D-air, Wafting and throwing your bike off stage are great ways to cripple an opponent recovering vertically. You can even extend the hitbox time of the waft with your bike - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMvl0XYXAc&feature=youtu.be&t=144

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141
Anyone have any good combo strategies? Im looking for good combos for wario but cant seem to find enough good ones

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Anyone have any good combo strategies? Im looking for good combos for wario but cant seem to find enough good ones
He's not a combo character but he has some. Sourspot nair and uair on grounded opponents can follow up to aerials, dtilt can combo into dash attack, dsmash and grab at various percents and bike hit can combo into a wheelie pop.

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Not sure if this type of question would be suited here, but do you guys think using the bike as an edge guarding tool would be considered spamming/cheap? What I mean by an edge guarding tool is quickly pulling the bike out and throwing it above the ledge so the opponent can't get up as easily (video explaining it). I've been doing this trick whenever I possibly can and about 3 people have called me a spammer on For Glory. Aside from this and recovering, I almost never use the bike or any other type of spammable move.

So would it be best to do this every chance I get, or should I just do it maybe once since it would be considered a cheap method?
Wario struggled killing outside of edgeguarding, so calling one of his main tools "cheap" is kinda stupid. It's about as cheap as using needles as Sheik to edgeguard. Use it whenever you feel it's a better option, but sometimes its good to actually chase offstage since it can actually net you kills.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I'm new to learning wario so i have a lot of questions.

-What are his safest moves?
-How does he approach and what are a few of his safest ways that he can get in?
-What are his to go to Oos options?
-Does he have any kill set ups other then using waft and using the bike to help edge gaurd? If so what are his most reliable kill set ups?
-Which throws do Wario usually use during matches?
-Is there a way to get off the bike and use it immediately?
-On the ground what normals should wario be using during the neutral when he is not in the air?

I'm going to put what ever information thats given in my notebook to study off of. Thank you in advance.

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141

-Does he have any kill set ups other then using waft and using the bike to help edge gaurd? If so what are his most reliable kill set ups?
-On the ground what normals should wario be using during the neutral when he is not in the air?

I'm going to put what ever information thats given in my notebook to study off of. Thank you in advance.
From what i know, using an up grab followed by a fair or a uair. Bair has high ko power and it got me a lot of kos off of this move.

As for safe moves, his smash attacks have lag, so not the saftest options. I like using aerials to ko, as they are some safer options.

As for ground, I use dtilt followed by an up or down grab, and I like to use some aerials to get some good damage in.

For approach, if you approach your opponent, they can put you into a combo you cant get out of. Use the chomp when they approach you to start a combo.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses

-Wario's safest moves are fair and dtilt. Low startup and basically no endlag.

-Spaced fairs can put pressure on your opponent and can help you close the distance. Bike can also crap on stage control but use it sparingly or you will get punished. Otherwise, play very safe with Wario. He has almost no reason to approach since he gets waft charge over time.

-Nair is his go to Oos, but Up-B is good occassionally due to the large hitbox on it.

- Not really. Ftilt is okay at 120ish, but thats only if you really want to close off a stock. Otherwise, waft setups and edgeguards are Warios best wats of killing.

-Uthrow is his best throw if you want to build damage, since it sets your opponent up for juggles or even wafts. Fthrow is his kill throw, bthrow is his "get the opponent offstage" throw, and Dthrow is also good for followups.

-Yes. If Wario uses the bike while on the ground, and drives off the stage. He can jump off the bike, double jump, and use the bike again(the bike has to be offscreen). This does not work if you bike in the air.

-Dtilt. It's quick, it combos into itself, and can set up grabs.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What are his safest moves?
F-air is pretty safe since it's fairly quick and can be used to push away enemies. D-tilt also provides a bit of spacing and is also really quick.

What are his to go to Oos options?
D-smash and f-tilt since they have good knockback and come out quickly (also d-tilt since it can lead to a quick follow up).

EDIT: Like ZeGlasses said N-air would probably be better since the two I mentioned come out slightly slower and can leave you vulnerable.

Which throws do Wario usually use during matches?
F-throw is best for actually KO'ing since it has high knockback. Up-throw is good for juggling characters, while d-throw can put your opponent in a vulnerable position at low %'s. B-throw is only really useful if you want to get your opponent off the stage since it has low knockback (though it can also be used to knock away other players and even Rosalina's Luma).

Is there a way to get off the bike and use it immediately?
By use it immediately you mean ride it again, the bike will have to fall of the stage.

If you're talking about using the bike to toss around, you can run off the stage and quickly ride your bike towards the ledge so the bike lands on the end of the stage (video explaining it).

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Falling DAir and landing without getting the final hit puts your opponent in a bad position and you can dash -> back air and even upsmash or waft, but it's not the safest. Also if you get the trip with the dash attack that sets up for tech chasing. Sourspot nair also combos into waft.

Though you'll pretty much kill mostly off punishes with FTilt and BAir which are pretty safe if spaced (short hop immediate BAir autocancels), and you have FThrow too.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Incomplete falling D-air to half waft also becomes a true combo on a few characters when Wario has enough rage, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've only tested this with smash monado art active Shulk in training mode and Villager (attempting to escape with N-air, Air dodge and double jump) in regular mode with Wario having about 125% damage.

dumcb

Smash Rookie
Speaking of Dairs and Wafts,

Has anyone found a reliable or semi reliable way to break the dairs autolinking? I know if they manage to get out before it ends it results in a spike, but I haven't been able to pull it off yet. Is it too dependant on opponent DI?

Also, how long to half waftish/about when can I expect halfw to ko near the edge? I really feel that I should be throwing it out more as it still feels quite powerful. In addition, it seems much much harder for the opponent to predict, as most Wario play revolves on fully charging it/there's the plus that you're not glowing.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
weak hits of nair can get you a waft when they don't expect it. Abadango does this to Dabuz at EVO on his first game with him.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey all, I'm thinking of picking up Wario and I had a few questions.

Do you guys have information on how long it takes each level of Waft to charge and the approximate kill %'s of each level? How many levels of charge are there, and does the level just before full charge kill sooner than full charge, like it did in Brawl?

Do you guys have kill %'s of fThrow at the ledge and information on how rage effects how soon it kills?

CoveredNMoney

Smash Cadet
What do you guys practice in training mode?

I usually just practice fast ledge trumps, perfect pivots etc, but I was wondering if there was wario specific stuff I could practice

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Hey all, I'm thinking of picking up Wario and I had a few questions.

Do you guys have information on how long it takes each level of Waft to charge and the approximate kill %'s of each level? How many levels of charge are there, and does the level just before full charge kill sooner than full charge, like it did in Brawl?

Do you guys have kill %'s of fThrow at the ledge and information on how rage effects how soon it kills?
Charge times is the same as Brawl. Fully charged kills the earliest though, unlike Brawl.

FThrow kills Mario at 199% center stage according to this, but it's also significantly affected by rage.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Any tips on dealing with Jigglypuff? Their aerials beat a lot of Wario's attacks so it's really hard to approach them. Shielding and being defensive is hard too since pound will hurt shield a lot and it's hard to punish her aerials since she can easily move away.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You should never be afraid to shield against Jigglypuff. Pound does something like 60% of a shield's health, but the only things you would be shielding otherwise are relatively weak aerials, to the point where half-decent shield management means it will never get broken.

You can shield for a split-second to fend off potential aerials, then roll away from Jigglypuff. If you have stage space, rolling away from Jigglypuff will never have negative consequences for you. If your shield ends up being weakened, rolls are a fine alternative to shielding as long as you're doing enough elsewhere to make it so she can't just read a roll toward her and Rest you for it.

F-Tilt helps with counterpoking up close.

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
Is d-throw to waft a reliable combo on opponents who fail to DI/tech? Just wondering cause I pulled one off after asking myself that.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
At mid percents or lower (as low as 0% for Jiggs I think) for all characters they can act out of the hitstun from the d-throw before they hit the ground, so assuming they don't input an aerial or jump (maybe they tried to air dodge out of the hitstun) and don't tech, waft could be a follow up, however it would be very situational. Using your bike after a d-throw is more reliable as it will catch an opponent who doesn't tech, techs in place or techs away from Wario if you think they won't jump or input an aerial.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Don't use D-Throw with the intention of comboing into anything. A list of the worst tech rolls might be useful, though.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What is the throw to go to when your back is facing towards the ledge vs characters with quick recovery moves (Pika, Sheik, Fox, etc)? D-throw or B-throw?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So you can only pull out the bike once while you are airborne? Is that how it works?
If you ride your bike offstage and jump off of it, you can pull out another bike by using your second jump. After that you'll have to touch the ground to use the bike again (I think you can also get another one by jumping up from a ledge).

Last edited:

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
You do get your bike again if you use the jump getup option, but only that option. To clarify, simply dropping down won't give you your bike again. Also you don't need to use your second jump to use the bike again - you can jump, bike, double jump.

Another interesting thing is if you spawn your bike so you get on it as it touches the ground/platform, you get your double jump back and you can use a bike in the air again.

OneShotzer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1864-9787-3308
I'm having a hard time trying to b-reverse chomp any suggestions? I've only been playing Wario for about a week but def. going to main him way more fun than any other fighter. wah.

OneShotzer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1864-9787-3308
Now is the input jump b then flick the stick in the opposite direction?

Casual Souls

Smash Rookie
Which matchups should I play more defensively? I've noticed that I have a hard time in the Ness MU because he has a lot of things that punish me. I generally play very aggressively and space with FAirs and try to chomp if I predict a shield grab,

Also, what should I do against more defensive players? I use chomp a lot against them but it becomes predictable and easily punishable.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Which matchups should I play more defensively? I've noticed that I have a hard time in the Ness MU because he has a lot of things that punish me. I generally play very aggressively and space with FAirs and try to chomp if I predict a shield grab,

Also, what should I do against more defensive players? I use chomp a lot against them but it becomes predictable and easily punishable.
Definately Definately play defensively against Rosalina, Shulk and Sonic. They can outrange and/or outspeed you meaning you need to target opportunities to punish. Make it so that they have to catch you because this will frustrate them. Especially when they know that every moment they waste not building damage is charging your fart.

When playing defensive players (or trying to goad players into doing something) I prefer to launch the bike at them. It covers the ground, forcing them into the air where Wario is typically stronger, and most launches will cause the bike to fall off the stage giving you little risk of using it.

PLUUUUUUS, launching (or riding) the bike into Rosalina is one of the best and easiest ways to get rid of Luma when fighting Rosalina. Even if she blocks the bike, it still hits Luma, and if Luma is relatively close to the edge of the stage, it will send him careening off. Rosalina can't call him back when he's in freefall, meaning you just took out her attackshield. It's stupidly effective and most Rosalinas can't deal with it.

Roots

Smash Cadet
How do you guys space your opponent?

I like to FHFF 2 fairs and if they shield the first one I'll come down with a chomp or mix it up with a jump or something.
Or maybe just SH fair, nair, chomp, whatever.

Is using SH bairs useful for spacing? You have to put it out on literally the first frame after jumping, though Wario's airspeed can easily get you away in time for the auto-cancel so it seems safe.

I know that the bike can be used as a pseudo-projectile but it doesn't seem too safe since your opponent can read it and punish the bike jump. Still, you've got so many options on it, like continuing riding and wheelies, that the mindgames can appear.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I'm having a hard time trying to b-reverse chomp any suggestions? I've only been playing Wario for about a week but def. going to main him way more fun than any other fighter. wah.
You really just have to practice. If you're like I did at B-reversing at first, then you need to input the opposite direction even faster. It's not like Falcon/Warlock Punch reversal. You need to almost input B and reverse at the same time :)

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
He's french and he's came to SKTAR before. Theres some sets on youtube of him in SKTAR and several from tournaments from france. Did he ever get into SSB4? I think he was the best wario in brawl period, imo. It would be sad if he didnt continue, the kid had so much potential.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
He still plays Wario, France just doesn't seem to upload tournament footage nor travel much anymore.

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
He still plays Wario, France just doesn't seem to upload tournament footage nor travel much anymore.
well thats unfortunate. I wanna see what kind of smooth moves he can pull off with the new wario. Too bad theres no footage of him in smash 4. Hopefully he comes to the states for a tournie at some point.

Top Bottom