• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The stage 2 Quick Waft is actually fast enough for you to get quick follow-ups off of the trip it causes, but it only does 6%, so it's still probably not worth using your waft charge on it.

Stage 1 is pretty much useless for all waft variants, though it's the least useless for the Rose-Scented Waft, due to it causing 6% damage and actual knockback. It's also funny to spam with the Quick Waft due to it having almost no start or end lag.

Last edited:

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
The Quick Waft at the early stages also has a larger trip hitbox than the regular Waft early stages. The Rose Waft may be the same size, but it's hard to tell since it doesn't trip. Here's the comparison:

Quick Waft

Waft

Rose Waft

These were all taken with Fox in a standing position.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
B customs (Better off sticking with chomp in my opinion)
Inhaling bite - Sucks opponents in; does less damage. I haven't tried this one out,
Garlic breath - Long delay, but when the breath comes out, it stuns (trips and knocks back people who are too far away). Not very useful in my opinion as chomp has a lot of utility

Side B customs (Matchup dependent)
Speeding bike - Less hp (breaks from one bounce) but faster and has insane knockback. Likely Wario's best custom as Rakurai has said, it also combos into waft at some percents!
Burying bike - More hp (I think it even bounces more from some throws) while burying opponents if it runs over them (even if Wario isn't riding the bike). Has a lot of potential for bike throwing combo strings and abusing grounded opponents (although Wario has no uplifting attacks that i know of as opposed to Sonic's up-smash)

Up B customs (Personal preference)
Widescrew - Much larger directional choice (can almost go horizontally), however it loses some height
Corkscrew leap - More height and faster vertically, however it can only go vertical, so it is risky as you could get knocked off your bike

Down B customs (Personal preference: Power - Standard waft, Range - Rose scented, Speed - Quick waft)
Rose scented waft - Less knockback, 10 second faster timer, MUCH larger hitbox, does damage over time from a sapling. I love this custom move
Quick waft - A faster waft. Fully charged it comes out slightly quicker than an ordinary waft, however it won't kill nearly as quickly. Very useful if you're worried about missing a waft

Personally I like 1212, none of Wario's custom moves are too inferior from each other (other than maybe his chomp customs), and he gains a lot from speeding bike and rose scented waft in some match ups as he can cripple recovery with their respective speed and range
I was trying 1212 today.

Oh my Waft God.

I used Speeding Bike on a Marth trying to get back on the stage and then it comboed into Rose Waft that killed at 69% without any Rage.

What is this madness? I thought I'd miss regular Waft's kill power too much but this a fun combo.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Do u know what to do when approached as Wario? I try to do aerials but they get shielded. Chomp gets beaten by w/e attack they feel like thriwin out, and my spotdodges or shielding tend to get read and punished.
You can create a wall vs Fox with fade away Fairs. Keep the range of his Utilt in mind, it covers an arc behind him that will hit you if you're not spacing well, and it also comes out on frame 3. If you expect him to shield, just do empty jump -> chomp instead of using an aerial. That said, Fox has the tilts and smashes to beat Warios chomp as well as his dash attack. It's a 50/50 situation between attacking and chomping.

Why does Wario like Duck Hunt? What do other Warios do in this stage when they play on it?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've heard some smashers around here say you shouldn't take Wario to Duck Hunt. I see how the trees being retreat spots with Wario's mobility certainly help though, specially when looking to charge some waft. I'm wondering if anyone has any more thoughts in the stage.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
How do I play semi aggressive as wario? I watched old replays and I seem to run away a lot..LIKE A LOT. unless I have a clear advantage I tend to legit maneuver and run away a lot.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How do I play semi aggressive as wario? I watched old replays and I seem to run away a lot..LIKE A LOT. unless I have a clear advantage I tend to legit maneuver and run away a lot.
You're playing him right then. :p

Lots of fair and general footsies with Wario if you want to be aggressive. Pressure with bike and chomp as well. Wario has good mixups to be aggressive.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Having a command grab is also very usefulf for this case because if you can condition them to want to shield your aerials, you get to just come in with Chomp. Wario is pretty good at slowly picking apart people's usual habits and making them play off balance. '

The only time I really go full on aggro is after I've landed a hit and I know I can chase them. Its just a situational thing that you have to recognize when you can get away/get a reward for pressing the advantage and when you might need to reset and back off. Every time I just keep wanting to go in and keep pressing without thinking I tend to take way more damage than needed. When I reset more and just calmly play with defensive tactics, I tend to do very well.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
Thanks guys. Also, how do I deal with Mario/Luigi/Yoshi/Captain Falcon/etc.,The heavy combo characters?

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
That may not be such a bad thing. Because of waft he seems like he's supposed to be played passively and reactionary.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
One last question, how do I use Dash Attack, Up Tilt, And Dair most efficiently?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Dash attack is a guaranteed follow-up off of down tilt at certain percents. The late hit on it can also jab reset if your opponent misses a tech.

Up tilt is just a decent anti-air option that requires less of a commitment then up smash and has a lingering hitbox.

Dair is great for edgeguarding due to the lingering hitbox letting you deny ledgegrabs with it, though you should never short hop it on-stage due to the terrible landing lag.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
Dash attack is a guaranteed follow-up off of down tilt at certain percents. The late hit on it can also jab reset if your opponent misses a tech.

Up tilt is just a decent anti-air option that requires less of a commitment then up smash and has a lingering hitbox.

Dair is great for edgeguarding due to the lingering hitbox letting you deny ledgegrabs with it, though you should never short hop it on-stage due to the terrible landing lag.
If u time it well, full hop dair can always hit any size char. It seems dash attack is situational for reads or missed Tech's.

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
I use it as a projectile or to catch landings. I also pick it up and throw it in which every direction best covers my opponents options.

ie. Your opponent is on the ledge, Throw the bike up and you now have jump covered. Then, there is a variety of different things you can do to cover the other options.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's a really versatile and relatively safe move to throw out. There's really no harm in using it as much as you want to, provided you aren't being predictable with it, which shouldn't be hard. It helps Wario camp anywho, which is always a plus.

It's one of the best projectiles in the game. It's meant to be abused. I'd tell you to just know the right situations to use it, but it's really more avoiding using it in the wrong situations. Only matchup where you want to be particularly careful with it is Villager.

Last edited:

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
Only matchup where you want to be particularly careful with it is Villager.
To add on to what Spinosaurus said, I always make sure the bike rides off the stage when playing villager. Sometimes that means staying on it through the hit.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
To add on to what Spinosaurus said, I always make sure the bike rides off the stage when playing villager. Sometimes that means staying on it through the hit.
Thing about Villager is that he can easily knock Wario out of the bike with his meaty aerials if he anticipates the bike. It's why you should seldom use it outside of recovery (and then you have to make sure it does drive off to the ledge as you said).

Fortunately, despite our limited bike options in this matchup, Villager can't really threaten Wario in neutral and his up b is really vulnerable to waft. (The balloons linger the hitbox!)

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
Thing about Villager is that he can easily knock Wario out of the bike with his meaty aerials if he anticipates the bike. It's why you should seldom use it outside of recovery (and then you have to make sure it does drive off to the ledge as you said).

Fortunately, despite our limited bike options in this matchup, Villager can't really threaten Wario in neutral and his up b is really vulnerable to waft. (The balloons linger the hitbox!)
Oh wow, I never knew the ballons made the hitbox linger. That's pretty cool.
I guess it's really pretty situational as to when you use the bike against villager then. Honestly, I don't use it much in that MU.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Yeah the first time I played Villager in FG as Wario was not fun. I forgot about the whole pocket thing.

After that though it's pretty easy to adjust. Like you all said, just make sure it falls if the edge.

Thanks for the replies!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We lose neutral scuffles somewhat handily but we don't -ever- have to approach. It can be very, very difficult for either character to approach, really, but mobility tends to trump power, and Wario's one of the characters that really does a number on Luigi's recovery because of how deep he's able to go. Ditching the Bike works well against Luigi because it eats Fireballs and still has a hitbox when you jump off of it, making it easy to buy time with virtually no commitment.

I expect this to go from even-ish (-slight- Wario advantage) to a decent-sized Wario advantage as movement and spacing gets optimized by both sides.

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I just realized wario has a forward/up tilt. Wario will do a punch diagnally up. Do other characters have these, and does anyone ever make it a point to use this tilt, and if so in what circumstance?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I just realized wario has a forward/up tilt. Wario will do a punch diagnally up. Do other characters have these, and does anyone ever make it a point to use this tilt, and if so in what circumstance?
That's known as angling, and just about every character can do it in some way. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Angled

Aside from being able to hit at a different angle , it can be useful since angled attacks usually do slightly more damage (just about all of the time an upward-angled tilt will be a bit stronger than a normal tilt, while downward-angled tilts are usually weaker than both the other kinds). Wario's upward forward tilt did this in Brawl though I'm not sure if it still does it in SSB4 (though even if it did I wouldn't use only upward f-tilts for the sake of giving an extra 1-2%).

Labernash

Smash Lord
Thanks.

Any tips on Yoshi? Starting to think Yoshi is Wario's hardest MU. The only success I've had is just being okay taking 3x more damage than they are taking and getting low % rage waft reads. If I wasn't able to outplay my opponent, I'd lose and I still drop games playing a Yoshi I'm much better than.

Played a Yoshi the other day at a house tourney and in winner bracket, it went to game 5 last hit last stock and I won. (6 waft KO's in a row) Then in GFs I picked random pocket characters I don't practice and won 3-0, no stress.

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but even camping seems to get me combo'd.

Last edited:

Roots

Smash Cadet
Can you angle tilts with c-stick? I know Wario's up angle ftilt kills like 10% earlier than normal
Though I'm guessing it trades that damage for decrease in range.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Can you angle tilts with c-stick? I know Wario's up angle ftilt kills like 10% earlier than normal
Though I'm guessing it trades that damage for decrease in range.
To my understanding, no. It ends up making characters jab for some reason. Down angle f-tilt also sees some use by me to edge guard characters that have a hard time clipping the ledge. Even if they trade blows with me they're normally placed in a situation where they either cannot recover or it's an easy gimp situation

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you hold the correct direction during start-up with the Control Stick, I believe you can use a Tilt Stick to angle tilts.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What's the best thing to do if someone's hanging on the ledge? I usually get them to hang for a bit by tossing my bike upwards, but from there I don't know how to properly follow up and they eventually climb/roll back up.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
What's the best thing to do if someone's hanging on the ledge? I usually get them to hang for a bit by tossing my bike upwards, but from there I don't know how to properly follow up and they eventually climb/roll back up.
If you want to punish them during their invulnerability frames you'll need to ledge trump them. Here is a 'My Smash Corner' video explaining this if you haven't seen it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A

I struggle with using it in a tournament situation however, however once you've mastered it, it's a very good tool to apply pressure and force them to roll on stage.

If they have lost their invulnerability, you can punish all ledge grabbers with jab, d-smash, f-smash, f-tilt (angled downward), bike u-throw, d-tilt, waft and dash attack (taken from MSC video). If your opponent has a terrible recovery (falcon, little mac for example), I suggest timing your dash attack so its sour spot is out when their invulnerability is gone as the hitstun is huge and often gimps (it's also the most reliable attack to punish people who hold the ledge too long in my opinion)

Roots

Smash Cadet
Can you keep Wario's quick air speed when using Chomp mid-air?
Whenever I use it or B-reverse it my momentum nearly stops completely and I just drop

In this video the Wario B-reverses his Chomp and kept his speedy air momentum but in the other direction so I'm not sure
https://youtu.be/VlmV55Uiczw?t=31s (Thanks Freezy :>)

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Can you keep Wario's quick air speed when using Chomp mid-air?
Whenever I use it or B-reverse it my momentum nearly stops completely and I just drop

In this video the Wario B-reverses his Chomp and kept his speedy air momentum but in the other direction so I'm not sure
https://youtu.be/VlmV55Uiczw?t=31s (Thanks Freezy :>)
The only reason he got that momentum was because he jumped off the bike , when the bike is tilted forward it creates the momentum effect even more

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The only thing I really don't like about Wario is how they replaced his Brawl f-smash :(
Seriously, the shoulder charge is like Wario's signature move since the Game Boy days and was arguably one of the best f-smashes in the game...

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
To win a tournament you really need great consistency. When tournaments are run with 2 stock and no customs, it is very hard to get that with wario. He lacks a good combo game, and you can't afford to miss many wafts if you are against top players. In any given game, a wario can beat anyone. It's just being able to plow your way through many great players that is probably the biggest challenge.

I think if customs take off, wario might be more popular. Speeding bike + quick waft gives him a lot more consistency and a better combo game.

Last edited:

Labernash

Smash Lord
Sometimes I input an aerial out of some other action (OoS, ledge jump, another attack, etc.) and instead of the attack I input with the cstick, it neutral airs. What is the mechanic behind that?

It also seems to happen much more frequently on wifi, so I'm wondering if it's some strange buffer mechanic and I create it in the input lag of a laggier match.

Someone said that if you input the cstick perfectly in the corner, you nair, but I haven't found that to be the case trying to recreate it. I can't ever recreate it at all, it happens randomly mid match in unopportune times.

Any ideas?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sometimes I input an aerial out of some other action (OoS, ledge jump, another attack, etc.) and instead of the attack I input with the cstick, it neutral airs. What is the mechanic behind that?

It also seems to happen much more frequently on wifi, so I'm wondering if it's some strange buffer mechanic and I create it in the input lag of a laggier match.

Someone said that if you input the cstick perfectly in the corner, you nair, but I haven't found that to be the case trying to recreate it. I can't ever recreate it at all, it happens randomly mid match in unopportune times.

Any ideas?
I'm not entirely sure on it myself. I know it apparently happens if you input the cstick diagonally, and that it's a lot more frequent if it lags on WiFi. It probably has something to do with input lag.

Either way this is a system wide thing and not entirely relevant to Wario or any specific character, so it's better to ask in one of the more general sections about the game.

Last edited:

Labernash

Smash Lord
Hmm okay, I'll try somewhere else.

How many bikes do you need to eat before you get a full charge waft, considering each second gained and the time counting down?

Top Bottom