• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanted: Ice Climber tutor

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I looking for someone who has a decent amount of experience with the Ice Climbers and can help me improve my game with them. I have problems with desyncing and using the alternating forward and backward throws. I know both are extremelly important to their overall game but I haven't been able to get them down by myself. Because of the potential difficulty of this task, I'm looking for someone with a decent amount of tournament experience and preferably mained the Ice Climbers in Melee too.

If you are interested in helping out a fellow Ice Climber main, just PM me and we can draw out a "lesson plan" and exchange FCs. Thanks in advance.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I am far from pro but from my experience from wifi sometimes its really good but alot of times its plain out discusting the lag is rediclous some potentially that would change the timming for the chain grabs making it increasingly more difficult.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Ice Climber can not really be taught. It's just practice to get everything down. And over wi-fi you'll learn bad habits because of the lag and will mess up your timing offline. So in other words, take the time to practice and teach yourself or pick another character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ice Climber can not really be taught. It's just practice to get everything down. And over wi-fi you'll learn bad habits because of the lag and will mess up your timing offline. So in other words, take the time to practice and teach yourself or pick another character.
Well, you see, I consider myself to be decent with the Ice Climbers but I don't know how long it should take me to finally get these skills down. Personally, I'd just like some input on how long I should expect this process to be so I know whether or not I'm on the right track. Also, because of where I live, I seriously doubt I'll ever be in a non-online tournament so that's not too much of an issue.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I have not seen these online tournaments ;P how does it work like everyone gives each other brawl friend codeS?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That or everyone gives their FC to one person (who acts as a judge) and they arrange matches at specific times. They aren't that popular here yet but they are picking up speed at places like gamebattles and allisbrawl.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Are they're connection requirements like how do you guys deal with lag and who observes whp wins or loses?

B0NK

Smash Lord
Well, you see, I consider myself to be decent with the Ice Climbers but I don't know how long it should take me to finally get these skills down. Personally, I'd just like some input on how long I should expect this process to be so I know whether or not I'm on the right track. Also, because of where I live, I seriously doubt I'll ever be in a non-online tournament so that's not too much of an issue.
I would expect progress to be different for everyone. Once you learn the techniques then it's just experience of playing different people. Personally, I don't like online because the first time I tried it the reaction was too delayed and I can't deal with the button lag. So I only play offline.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are they're connection requirements like how do you guys deal with lag and who observes whp wins or loses?
Like I said, there's usually a judge or witness who can vouch for the match. It'll be a three person match and the third person will quickly kill themselves so the remaining two can fight. When it comes to lag, people usually just play through it unless it's really horrendous and then the match is played at a later time. Sometimes it will just clear itself up if you stand for a little while and not press anything. Lag is always taken into account, players usually play at their own risk, and should be familar with the different timings. Truth be told, most connection problems can easily be solved so it's not a constant problem like you'd expect.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't feel like giving extensive lessons (nothing over WiFi or anything) but as probably the top Brawl ICs player on the east coast, I'll help you with anything you need over AIM. I can give you some good general strategies too and specific matchup advice. I also mained ICs in Melee and placed very respectably in Melee tournaments as well so I have a ton of experience.

My AIM is Nintendude1189 (go figure >_>)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
If you want to be good at Ice Climbers, you should practice a lot. It's best to play against other people LIVE because that kind of experience against real people without the wi-fi lag can really help you. I would recommend trying to practice chain grabbing when you have no one to play with.

I have a question to everyone on how people can find LIVE tournaments... I never heard of them until recently...

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
people seem to be anwsering this thread alot so i might as well throw this out there i am still struggling with forwad throw chain grabs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't feel like giving extensive lessons (nothing over WiFi or anything) but as probably the top Brawl ICs player on the east coast, I'll help you with anything you need over AIM. I can give you some good general strategies too and specific matchup advice. I also mained ICs in Melee and placed very respectably in Melee tournaments as well so I have a ton of experience.

My AIM is Nintendude1189 (go figure >_>)
Oddly enough, I don't have insant messenger. Would PM's be okay?

@ Demonictrilogy:

I have close to zero competition around me because most of my friends are into FPS's and racing games. Also, I live in the Midwest which usually gets royally screwed over when it comes to tournaments. With that said, online is pretty much my only source of competition.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
ok, im probably gunna teach you this tomorow, but on flat surfaces just grab, throw down, and the character will be pushed foward and you just dash foward and grab them in the air while theyre stunned. its in all the vids that im gunna send you. does that help?

ps. they can only chain grab from 0% damage to about 46% or something along those lines, so if theyre at over that number, dont even bothertrying to chain throw.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
oh, anyone who wants a live tourny, theres one in orlando FL on july 17th or something. pm me if you want details.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
"I don't feel like giving extensive lessons (nothing over WiFi or anything) but as probably the top Brawl ICs player on the east coast, I'll help you with anything you need over AIM. I can give you some good general strategies too and specific matchup advice. I also mained ICs in Melee and placed very respectably in Melee tournaments as well so I have a ton of experience."

hey i live on the East coast, i havent been able to go to as many tournys as you probably cuz i couldnt afford it. but if you ever want to play, id like to put my IC's to the test.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
oh, im sorry, im new to the site, i didnt know, thanks for the heads up. =]

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ok, im probably gunna teach you this tomorow, but on flat surfaces just grab, throw down, and the character will be pushed foward and you just dash foward and grab them in the air while theyre stunned. its in all the vids that im gunna send you. does that help?

ps. they can only chain grab from 0% damage to about 46% or something along those lines, so if theyre at over that number, dont even bothertrying to chain throw.
I know how to chain together down throws and I know it lasts up to about 40% with most characters. From my experience, there are some exceptions. Charizard, DK, Bowser, Shiek, Snake, and King Dedede can be down chained into the 60's if timed right while Jigglypuff, Pit, Metaknight, and Sonic can easily DI out of it and even counter with their Nairs.

Like I said, I have problems with the alternating forward/backward throws and desyncing.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I know how to chain together down throws and I know it lasts up to about 40% with most characters. From my experience, there are some exceptions. Charizard, DK, Bowser, Shiek, Snake, and King Dedede can be down chained into the 60's if timed right while Jigglypuff, Pit, Metaknight, and Sonic can easily DI out of it and even counter with their Nairs.

Like I said, I have problems with the alternating forward/backward throws and desyncing.
There's a desynch guide if you need it, and they're pretty hard. It just takes some practice. (:

About the alternating Forward Throw, are you "walking up" with the non grabbing Ice Climber before throwing with the grabbing one? You can't alternate throw from the neutral grab position, so practice this first if you haven't.

PM me if you need that Desynch info btw.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
"I don't feel like giving extensive lessons (nothing over WiFi or anything) but as probably the top Brawl ICs player on the east coast, I'll help you with anything you need over AIM. I can give you some good general strategies too and specific matchup advice. I also mained ICs in Melee and placed very respectably in Melee tournaments as well so I have a ton of experience."

hey i live on the East coast, i havent been able to go to as many tournys as you probably cuz i couldnt afford it. but if you ever want to play, id like to put my IC's to the test.
Where on the east coast?

Oddly enough, I don't have insant messenger. Would PM's be okay?
Have an account on All is Brawl? We could meet in a chatroom there. I'd prefer to not use PMs especially cause my PM box is just about full and I don't feel like cleaning it out yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have an account on All is Brawl? We could meet in a chatroom there. I'd prefer to not use PMs especially cause my PM box is just about full and I don't feel like cleaning it out yet.
Actually, I do. Also, I might as well ask now, what is your preferred way to desync? These are the ways I can pull off but I usually don't last very long afterwords which is what I want to work on:

-Grab desync
-Belay desync
-Squall desync
-Usmash desync
-Uair desync (although I have a hard time pulling it off and don't exactly know how I do it)
-Stutter step desync

I'm told that the best way to desync is to dash dance but I can't pull it off with anyone yet... I couldn't dash dance in Melee either for that matter. Is this a problem or do you consider it to be an overrated tech?

Bros229

Smash Cadet
dash dancing is one of the best ways, and it is imperitive that you learn to at least apply it. not master it. but have it at your arsenal in case all the other desychns dont work against your opponent.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Actually, I do. Also, I might as well ask now, what is your preferred way to desync? These are the ways I can pull off but I usually don't last very long afterwords which is what I want to work on:

-Grab desync
-Belay desync
-Squall desync
-Usmash desync
-Uair desync (although I have a hard time pulling it off and don't exactly know how I do it)
-Stutter step desync

I'm told that the best way to desync is to dash dance but I can't pull it off with anyone yet... I couldn't dash dance in Melee either for that matter. Is this a problem or do you consider it to be an overrated tech?
None of the above (besides grab). I desynch almost exclusively by pivoting an f-smash. Nana will do a dash-A and Popo will charge an f-smash. Then I usually have Nana Ice Shot or Blizzard and work from there. Unless you are facing someone with projectiles this is a really safe and fast way to desynch since nobody will approach you while you are charging and Nana can attack really fast after the dash-A.

Dash dancing in Melee is one of the most useful maneuvers in the game, but in Brawl it's nearly useless. Don't worry about learning it.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Well, the desyncs I use mostly are:

Grab desyncs
Beginning desyncs
pivot desyncs

Also, can anyone answer me this? How come sometimes when I hit people, and I have Popo do a ftilt, Nana does a short-hopped fair? I've done this numerous times but I don't how.

B0NK

Smash Lord
None of the above (besides grab). I desynch almost exclusively by pivoting an f-smash. Nana will do a dash-A and Popo will charge an f-smash. Then I usually have Nana Ice Shot or Blizzard and work from there. Unless you are facing someone with projectiles this is a really safe and fast way to desynch since nobody will approach you while you are charging and Nana can attack really fast after the dash-A.

Dash dancing in Melee is one of the most useful maneuvers in the game, but in Brawl it's nearly useless. Don't worry about learning it.
This desynch and also pivot ice block are the only ones I really use. The pivot ice block is better against some characters with projectiles because the ice block can cancel out some projectiles. (Like Lucario's)

EDIT:

stoopdklutz said:
Also, can anyone answer me this? How come sometimes when I hit people, and I have Popo do a ftilt, Nana does a short-hopped fair? I've done this numerous times but I don't how.
Sometimes when you desynched and you use F-air, only one climber will F-air while the other climber will F-tilt. Also the Ice Climbers can desynch after hitting an opponent with almost any attack but the timing doesn't allow much room to input a command for one climber.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
I feel all behind in this smash debate :) but after reading all the posts I feel as though I am back up to speed. I am so happy that someone is experienicing the same things that i was seriously about to post. well let me add one more twist to the argument. Ok so about the forward throw sometimes I can get the first throw from poe to nana but everytime i throw from nana she seems like she throws werid and poe misses. Then as for he back throw chain till death pshh up until yesterday I did not even know I Was doing it so horribly wrong. I kept thinking to myself it never looked like this in vids. I would toss them way to far in the air a computer may just wait till they drop when i would catch them not a person. they easy jump into another direction and punish nana :( or they move out of the way. I guess the correct way is litterally tossing them directly to the other ice climber. Now that is what I am trying to learn. but have no clue what i am even looking for.

Top Bottom