• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I see what you did there, however I dont mind, because at least I stick to people and dont have my way with dogs.

Hater

Smash Ace
I don't know what luke is saying, I could only imagine that the quality of females he could attract all are easily aesthetically comparable to canines

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Excellent, next person to start anything like this again, I'll roomban. Been wanting to try it out, and you've all had enough warnings.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Rejoice! Marteh is coming on sunday, i want as many friendlies as possible, all (constructive) criticism welcome. oh if someone could bring a standard 35mm jack microphone it would be good since i have an adapter so the commentary device can have 2 mics whoooo!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Rejoice! Marteh is coming on sunday, i want as many friendlies as possible, all (constructive) criticism welcome. oh if someone could bring a standard 35mm jack microphone it would be good since i have an adapter so the commentary device can have 2 mics whoooo!
Three if I commentate ;)

Only microphone I've got us the USB Guitar Hero one sadly :c

Hater

Smash Ace
Look guys, i've been considering letting people know this for a while but I think it's time to come out and say it.

I am actually a homosexual. I'd like to think we can all move forward from here without discriminating against me because of it.

Hater

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Look guys, i've been considering letting people know this for a while but I think it's time to come out and say it.

I am actually a homosexual. I'd like to think we can all move forward from here without discriminating against me because of it.

Hater
And I'm a biological experiment gone wrong.

Welcome back Marteeeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Hater

Smash Ace
Gaiz time for set up harassment brings all your tv's and wii's we will need them, This tourney should almost have every1 from our scene

So don't be stingy or lazy!

MTGod

Smash Champion
Is anyone able to swing by my place to pick up two TVs??? Still not sure if I can gank the car D:

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
me and glenn will actually b coming for the first time in foreverrrrrrr, its at the church right?

p.s-it will b glenns birthday so make sure to embaress him somehow lol

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
i vote for both, also i will probs have 2 leave early so if at the end some1 could just give him a lift to the traino?

Vlade

Social Outcast
-------------IMPORTANT NOTICE-----------------

The Joondalup/Mandurah train line is down this weekend due to maintenance of the Perth Underground tunnel or something. This finishes at 9am tomorrow but it could mean that people might be late rocking up if they use public transport since you have to get a bus from Stirling to Glendalough (the train line only operates up to stirling). If you plan on getting public transport make sure you allow plenty of time because as far as I'm aware there are limited buses which stop at the stations since most of them are just express to the city.

Going home after the tournament should be no dramas since everything should be functioning normally after 9am.

Just a heads up :)

Vlade

Social Outcast
In celebration of SWF's 10th Anniversary, I'm going to do a highlight of my Smash moments :D

September 2008
My first tournament. This was hosted by Andre, AKA Muzga. I had no idea what to expect but I was kindly picked up by Andre and he seemed like a nice guy which was a good start. When we got to his house (which was where the tournament was at) there were already lots of people there, and I didn't know ANYONE. Back in the day we didn't use tio to run tournaments so I had to draw a number out of a hat to determine who I was versing in the bracket. As luck would have it, my first opponent was Andre.

I already knew he was a Metaknight main so I had an idea of what to expect. I beat him on FD which was the starter we played on (since we used random stage select), he beat me on delfino convincingly and then I scraped a win against him on Jungle Japes. After that I had a decent idea of how the tournament format worked and was keen to go as far as I could. After versing Andre I sat around watching Niven play Mic I think, and then some guys introduced themselves to me since I was too shy to start any conversation. I remember the twins (Sam and Alex I think?), Dan and Jonathon shaking my hand and making small-talk, which was really nice since at the time I didn't really have many friends because most 14-year-olds are quite immature. Next up I versed a wolf player who came down from Mandurah. I 3-stocked him because he kept getting grabbed by falco at low %, and at this point I thought I felt like I could win the tournament. But my next match against Samuel proved me wrong. Everyone told me I was up against the best player and I was really hyped to hopefully make an upset as a newcomer, but it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure I got 2 stocked both games by his toon link. I shook his hand and I remember Dan telling me that Samuel has won every brawl tournament in Perth to date. From that point on, I knew that I could not stop improving until I win a tournament over him.

Next up I played against Jonathon's pit. It went down to the last hit, last stock on Jungle Japes and he, much like Samuel, outplayed me. This meant I finished 4th. I then watched Jonathon play against Richard and was impressed by Richard's Game & Watch, which won fairly convincingly as far as I can remember. This didn't quite translate into the Grand Finals between the brothers but I was still intrigued by what would be considered the top level players of Perth, since this is what I aspired to be.

At the end of the tournament Andre offered to accompany me on the train to Mandurah to the next tournament which was at Niven's. I originally didn't plan on going but since I had an adult with me on the train I decided to go. On this train trip I got to know Andre, Samuel and Richard really well since we talked about stuff for the whole ride which was an hour. It was really nice talking with people who have similar interests for once. When we got to Niv's I had a better idea of what I was doing and placed 3rd, losing to Richard and Samuel. I also remember getting fairly schooled by Bob's olimar in friendlies. The main highlight of this tournament was the train trips to mandurah and back because it was my first time talking with people that shared the same interests.

Late 2008 to Early 2009
Bob was now hosting tournaments again at his house in Rockingham. Sadly, a lot of people like Dan, Sam and Alex had just left the scene without a trace so we were down to getting turnouts of 10-12, in fact I even remember a turnout of 8 at a tournament. One major thing that happened in Early 2009 was my purchase of the Dazzle, which I believe was one of the best buys I've ever made. With it I recorded the tournament matches and Shaya told me exactly what I was doing wrong, which opened my eyes to the idea of 'options in brawl'. This translated to the tournament where I placed second for the first time, taking a set off Samuel in Grand Finals. I was completely stoked at my performance because I knew I was getting to his level. I won $8 for my efforts which I immediately spent on pizza.

Mid 2009
I started hosting the "Objection!" series of tournaments. I did this because I was fed up with the small turnouts we were getting and decided that if we were to host a tournament at a venue we would be able to attract more people. I made a post for "Objection! 1" at Joondalup Arena and got 30 entrants, probably the biggest Perth tournament to date. I like to think that I am the one responsible for reviving the Perth scene. At this tournament there were a sizeable amount of newcomers, including Trav, Kane, and Alzi who have stuck around since (I know there are more but those are just off the top of my head). I also remember Elton posting in this thread that he was expecting to win the tournament and was offering me and Andre a $50 MM but his condition was to play practice matches first lol. I didn't realise that being a Tournament Organiser was hard work at a venue until this day, but it was really good experience. Luckily I had the help of tio to help me with the assistance of mainly Andre since most people were new and didn't know how a tournament worked. When it was my turn to play my first opponent was Elton and I was actually really nervous since I badly didn't want to lose. I ended up placing 3rd at the tournament after being outplayed by richard. What I was really happy with was that I got 30 entrants at a tournament, a lot of who were hyped by the competition and wanted more.

I think at "Objection! 3" Samuel and I had the Grand Finals of Legend, where I was so so close to taking the first set but Sakurai stole it away from me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtHcjKNWXo

I still remember that very moment when everyone screamed and I was in laughter because Sakurai had come to haunt me. It was one of the best sets I've ever played because I think I came back from 2-0 down to equalise it to the last hit of the last stock. Even if I did win the first set, I kind of doubt that I would've been able to take a second set.

The last tournament I hosted was a tournament that taught me a valuable lesson: never underestimate anyone. I learnt this because I lost to Kane, who I had convincingly beat at Objection! 1. His Metaknight was something I had never experienced before and made me learn a lot more about how general matchup knowledge is so important. I was quite sore from losing at the time but Kane deserved his 2nd placing for improving so much in such little time.

Late 2009 to Early 2010
Trav started hosting tournaments. I don't remember anything notable in terms of my own performance, but the passion for winning a tournament was as strong as ever.

I will also never forget the moment I saw CAOTIC post "Corpse wins Rocky. Congratulations" and the whole MSN convo we were in just orgasmed with hype.

In February 2010 I will never forget the second moment Sakurai came to haunt me, when Frigate basically stole my Grand Finals win away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g5lS-hA8lE

Looking back on it my Metaknight sucked and deserved to lose anyway. Despite this horrible luck, it was balanced out by a second placing in Doubles with Jupz (a very intense match against Trav/Andre - I didn't expect you guys to win actually) and my first tournament win, despite Samuel/Richard not being there.

The Present
We haven't been getting turnouts of 30 lately but our activity at Supanova was a huge success and I hope that the Perth scene continues to grow and develop. I look forward to seeing how our Perth players do at Robocop and am very excited to see the results. Sadly I think people are losing their passion for brawl but hopefully this will change with some more mixed results. The Perth Smash Scene has been a huge part of my life these past 2 years and joining was probably the best thing I've done in my life. I am very grateful to have you guys as friends and will cherish the awesome moments we've had together both in tournament and out of tournament.

Peace :)

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Large coherent posts are cool. A welcome change from the normal posts we get.
Something

Yeah, that's what I was mainly going for. Too much spam in this thread so I wanted to type out something long and meaningful :D
A little

And everyone complained about my post walls... Pfft...

The main problem with yours was that you quoted basically everything that had been posted in your absence and replied to them all
This. But 10 times worse.

Late 2009 to Early 2010
Trav started hosting tournaments I don't remember anything notable in terms of my own performance, but the passion to winning a tournament was as strong as ever.

I will also never forget the moment I saw CAOTIC post "Corpse wins Rocky. Congratulations" and the whole MSN convo we were in just orgasmed with hype.

In February 2010 I will never forget the second moment Sakurai came to haunt me, when Frigate basically stole my Grand Finals win away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g5lS-hA8lE

Looking back on it my Metaknight sucked and deserved to lose anyway Despite this horrible luck, it was balanced out by a second placing in Doubles with Jupz (a very intense match against Trav/Andre - I didn't expect you guys to win actually ) and my first tournament win, despite Samuel/Richard not being there.
And Technodeath had entered the scene. Vlade hosted the first out of city attendees. And stuff. Important times.

MTGod

Smash Champion
At least no one got confused with who I was talking to ^^

Never. Counterpicking. Again. Ever. All starters. All the time.

Top Bottom