• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Ryu - Matchup Discussion and Analysis

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Me vs NEO.

Enjoy and feel free to critique or take notes.

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
From my few matches against Ryus, I can add a little bit of input to the MU
Ryu has the tools to break through Marth's walls we'll try to set up and take our stock fast if we mess up in the neutral. Because of Marth's multiple single hit moves, Ryu can power through the majority of our moves (most notably f-air and d-tilt) with his focus attack and start his combo shenanigens up close.
As a consequence, Marth has to be exceptionally careful with what moves he throws out in neutral. nair should be used more often with aerial spacing and db for punishes and approaches. Jab 1 into 50-50s is far too risky to use as much as we'd like in this MU, simply because of his down-b. Use it only when you know it's guaranteed (u-tilt at higher %s). Otherwise, keep it a basic jab1-jab2.

We keep Ryu in mid-range so he can't as easily set up his tilt combos up close and also so he can't start spacing us out with hadokens at longer ranges. The neutral will basically be us using a lot of full hop f-airs into falling n-airs to keep him out while at the same time baiting out focus attack approaches for us to punish. If he starts running, maintain the medium distance and push him to the edge of the stage. Ryu is not someone we want to approach, but we don't want to sit there eating fireballs either.
But gimping him is one of our most reliable ways of taking his stocks. Lower recoveries will be safer for us to gimp, with less risk from focus attacks. Higher recoveries should only challenged after waiting for him to chuck out a tatsumaki.

Last edited:
Top Bottom