• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE: Team Real or Team Fake on the Grinch Leak

Team real or fake on Snapchat leak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet solsitce

Smash Apprentice
FAKE ITS FAKE it has to be it's too perfect so perfect to be real ive inktrospective says it would be impossible to reacreate such a painting and thats were hes wrong it would it possible the mural inqusetion seems to be oil pastels not too hard to reacreate or mimic

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Agreed; the fact we've been in such a drought that if this is indeed the end, I don't get why it wasn't split into a Direct per month. Seems kinda selfish, and karmic that it leaked.
In a way, yes I totally agree. If all these newcomers are in, which are if I recall, Ken, Shadow, Isaac, Chorus Kids, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider, Geno and Skull Kid.. there's no reason not to have a reveal like we had in the August 8 Direct, with at least 2 unique newcomers showcased. It's by biggest gripe with this whole leak. Unless Sakurai wants a massive blow out for the final Direct, and troll us badly of course.. which he done before. And yes, that would be karmic (and intensively satisfying)! IF this all turns out to be true, that is.

Dan

Smash Lord
In a way, yes I totally agree. If all these newcomers are in, which are if I recall, Ken, Shadow, Isaac, Chorus Kids, Banjo-Kazooie, Mach Rider, Geno and Skull Kid.. there's no reason not to have a reveal like we had in the August 8 Direct, with at least 2 unique newcomers showcased. It's by biggest gripe with this whole leak. Unless Sakurai wants a massive blow out for the final Direct, and troll us badly of course.. which he done before. And yes, that would be karmic (and intensively satisfying)! IF this all turns out to be true, that is.
Skull Kid is not one of them.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
To be honest, I fall on #TeamReal. There's so many coincidences lining up to this leak (very oddly-timed trademark renewals for multiple characters seen in it including Mach Rider, the leaked item via a Wendy's video, the fact that the company itself has removed a video about them after the fact, a mysterious post by one of the Treehouse staff, the fact that unreleased Grinch stuff is also in the leak and the fact that nobody's been able to conclusively determine anything wrong with it) that I would be surprised if it's not real.

Also, the banner's glitched RIGHT where Isaac is on the fake leak. That's...pretty damning, to me.

Part of why I think it's real is Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case, which is simpler; that this detailed leak with a company and name tied to it that hasn't been debunked is real or that someone spent enough time faking what is the most complex, intricately-made leak in Smash history while also having access to unreleased Grinch material and working at a company where all this would be very difficult to pull off?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Team real, about 75% so. Just so much weird stuff going on, would be a hell of a coincidence.

Also, it's at 69% now for team real. #nice

ABalloon

Smash Cadet
NNID
pizzzzzzzaaaaaaa
I'm honestly split now. There's things I can see, and things I cannot with the leak.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
The only one that confuses me is that Chorus Kids are there. Aren't they kind of a meme pick? It's more memey than adding even somebody like Jimmy T from WarioWare imho

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
This leak has added another layer of excitement for this final direct. There are so many unanswered questions and while this leak is so so very convincing it's not 100% proven real until Sakurai confirms it.

Some things rub on me the wrong way too about this leak. Like the poor censoring of the name. Would someone who works in this profession really just barely crossout his name with snapchat's paint tool and not even consider just cropping it out? This is why I believe that someone else took the picture and it wasn't at all done but the name shown in the leak. This other person must be a complete idiot and I'm wondering what he was even doing in this workplace to begin with. This guy would have to be an employee of some kind, right? Maybe a janitor? I don't know. But this person shouldn't have kept confidential information out in the open like that. If this really happened, he pretty much cost this guy his career and got him in legal trouble. If this leak has taught me anything, it's to never underestimate humanity's stupidity. That's the thing about this leak. It all looks real but was executed idiotically. The censoring of the name is just so sketchy and makes me cringe.

Another thing that doesn't feel right about this leak is Sakurai mentioning he kept "everyone is here" secret by going to E3 with no displays of any kind. Just the video presention was all he brought. So it's really odd to me that his roster would get spoiled by a pic of some circular fixture (NOT A BRACELET). It contradicts the actions he took. It just seems pretty careless for a guy who did so much to keep things on the down low. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, it's in this famitsu column. To have it leaked this way is just really strange to me.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...g-things-a-secret-more-talk-about-the-future/

Sakurai really should've been quicker with the reveals and not waiting too long to drop loads of info on us. 7 characters is a lot of info. It's just baffling to me because he should know how this stuff happens, so why does he keep pushing his luck and waiting closer to release to announce more characters?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
So i thought of something rather minor but could it be possible the leaked displays could have been for that big upcoming tournament, the time matches up, I know the tournament is in japan and the leak is from france (and the logo was the english version?) but aside from the smash logo that may not matter and that may be able to be explained by international presence during the tournament or corresponding international event. IDK, kind of stretch but just an idea I thought I thought I would throw out there even though it may make no sense.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's so blurry that you could actually be right, but I've followed this leak intensely and you're the first person that's said that.
It's been going non-stop in the Skull Kid thread, honestly it seems almost 50/50 there right now if the Mask is or isn't there (well, that's conservative, it's flodded with people who see it but I think there's double ups whereas people who don't see it say it once and don't bother responding).

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
It's been going non-stop in the Skull Kid thread, honestly it seems almost 50/50 there right now if the Mask is or isn't there (well, that's conservative, it's flodded with people who see it but I think there's double ups whereas people who don't see it say it once and don't bother responding).
gamefaq it's everywere as well

not that I think it will happen but It could be that this banner is after the roster updated after the new direct and the reasion for no inceniroar is there saving it for the pokemon direct,

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The Artsy Omni Leakbuster video makes this supposed leak seem only about 20% likely to me.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I feel this is important here:

Yes this video says it all. Papagenos is this cycle's GameExplain. He did an amazing job of covering all the leaks. He didn't need to demonetize. I don't care if trolls are telling him he's doing it for money. He's obviously doing it for fun and doing it better than the big channels, so get paid for the service too. I hope he opens a Patreon.

aarchak

Smash Ace
The only one that confuses me is that Chorus Kids are there. Aren't they kind of a meme pick? It's more memey than adding even somebody like Jimmy T from WarioWare imho
Actually, I believe they were considered for Smash 4, but were cut late.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Actually, I believe they were considered for Smash 4, but were cut late.
Even then, they're in one mini game and don't do anything at all. Seems like a weird pick to me.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Even then, they're in one mini game and don't do anything at all. Seems like a weird pick to me.
Not really if you consider the Rhythm Heaven franchise as a whole. It has quite a number of games with very positive sales starting back with the GBA and ongoing. Think of it as a WarioWare, just that it doesn't really have a main "face" to be the absolute representative. Good candidates could be either Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids, since they have appeared in most RH games, are recognisable and are the closest thing to being possible fighters.

imo Chorus Kids are more interesting than Karate Joe because they represent better the musical side of the franchise and can reflect that better on their moveset. Karate Joe... well I imagine he'd just be sort of a Ryu.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Not really if you consider the Rhythm Heaven franchise as a whole. It has quite a number of games with very positive sales starting back with the GBA and ongoing. Think of it as a WarioWare, just that it doesn't really have a main "face" to be the absolute representative. Good candidates could be either Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids, since they have appeared in most RH games, are recognisable and are the closest thing to being possible fighters.

imo Chorus Kids are more interesting than Karate Joe because they represent better the musical side of the franchise and can reflect that better on their moveset. Karate Joe... well I imagine he'd just be sort of a Ryu.
Considering I haven't actually played them, it makes sense that I would miss that context. Fair enough!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Rhythm Heaven Girl makes MUCH more sense as a series mascot. If Chorus Kids get in before her, it's because the designers wanted them specifically for the fact that it is some kind of "team" character.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
Real imo, the stuff surrounding this feels too coincidental and the things that were completely out of this supposed faker's control such as the 4chan post from a month ago, the the item leak, and the video deletion recently. This is either the real deal or the luckiest faker in the world.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Part of why I think it's real is Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case, which is simpler; that this detailed leak with a company and name tied to it that hasn't been debunked is real or that someone spent enough time faking what is the most complex, intricately-made leak in Smash history while also having access to unreleased Grinch material and working at a company where all this would be very difficult to pull off?
You don't seem to understand "simple" in the context of Ockham's razor. In philosophy, "simple" doesn't mean "Easily understood or done; not difficult". It means to make the fewest assumptions about explanations or hypotheses. This means that someone could have made an elaborate, intricate leak to fool people into believing it. It wouldn't matter how long it took the alleged leaker to make something up. To illustrate this point, imagine if an accuser said, "This man murdered his wife", all the while the man was framed by someone else who went through many steps just to achieve his goal. You might as well believe the man is the murderer.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So if this leak would make a #GrinchForSmash a meme, wow, it's really hard to find notable Dr. Seuss games so he's a bigger joke request than Goku, Shrek, Spongebob, Batman, Spider-Man, James Bond, Harry Potter and other requested non-game characters.

But I hope this leak isn't real. I want Shadow to remain an Assist Trophy. If a second Sonic character deserves to be in Smash, it's Tails. He's the Luigi to Sonic.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So if this leak would make a #GrinchForSmash a meme, wow, it's really hard to find notable Dr. Seuss games so he's a bigger joke request than Goku, Shrek, Spongebob, Batman, Spider-Man, James Bond, Harry Potter and other requested non-game characters.

But I hope this leak isn't real. I want Shadow to remain an Assist Trophy. If a second Sonic character deserves to be in Smash, it's Tails. He's the Luigi to Sonic.
I couldn't care less if this is real. I just don't believe leaks until they're confirmed, and it'd be wise for everyone else to do the same.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I also hope the direct is soon. It's killing me inside that we are approaching the three month mark since the last Smash direct. Between then and now, the only things we were officially told about are a hardware bundle I can't afford, and Isabelle.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, at worst we'll get information in about 5 weeks. At least it isn't Smash 4's wait cycle.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Rhythm Heaven Girl makes MUCH more sense as a series mascot. If Chorus Kids get in before her, it's because the designers wanted them specifically for the fact that it is some kind of "team" character.
rh girl would be such a bland character,

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing you never played this masterpiece

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
So some nobody on twitter ignores blatant evidence and tries to analyze sakurai's psyche.

Oh my god boys it's over, pack it up
A bit dramatic and demeaning to the poster?

Maybe you're not as Team Real as you think you are if some nobody on Twitter gets your jammies ruffled up?

There's no concrete evidence for or against it. The only true part of it all is that it would of taken someone with some GA and marketing training (there's a lot of those people now) to mock this up or have access to it.

xzx

Smash Lord
So some nobody on twitter ignores blatant evidence and tries to analyze sakurai's psyche.

Oh my god boys it's over, pack it up
Uhh, no? He just explained a possibility of how it realistically could be faked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom