• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote: Should gigabits have melee side tournies?

derf

Smash Ace
Ok so Cecil posted that if there was enough interest gigs would consider hosting melee side tournaments. Personally, I'd like to see this happen and in the hope of reaching more people, I decided to make a thread on this topic. So, smashers,

Would you enter a brawl/melee combo tournament?

If so, under what circumstances?
Would you be willing not to have pools for brawl singles?
How much would you pay to enter?
in gigs case, how often should these side tournies be held? (any other thoughts welcome)

C'mon guys, lets save the melee tourney scene!!!

In the gigs thread, QDVS and OTRU already posted so I'll stick their thoughts here..
I'll try to update this for at least the next week

In favor of melee side tournies:
QDVS
derf
MarsFool!
smash your mom
exarch
sheermadness
lvl9cpu
dogysamich(wants full-scale melee tournies)
cashmooney($10-15)
harriettheguy($10-15)
mankosuki($5 entry fee, is concerned about run time)
raistlin(wants brawl pools)
hungrybox
tedboosely
angrylobster
slim de la crim
rx ($5)
BAMN($5-10)
reno

Against:
OTRU (only if cost $)
captaincrunch
laijin
linguini (not against melee, but says this gigs will be huge & brawl pools a necessity)
fenrir
hiroshi
rockcrock(concerned about time)
zoro(wants melee tournies, but on a different day)
azianraven("melee deserves its own tourney, if anything")
cmroddy(would attend seperate melee tournies)

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
I might attend a gigabits or two in my smash career, Id say yes. Under the circumstance that It is COMPLETELY seperate from the Brawl tournament and not overshadowed as well. You know ****ty tvs that lag, or are 15 inches. Doubles Finals FTL eh?

derf

Smash Ace
Mars--
im not sure what you mean by ****ty/small tvs, as no competitive game should be played with lag. but yes the idea would be to have a seperate tournament that would not influence entry into the brawl tournaments. Being familiar with Gig's setup/space allocations, the seperation would be done though having the tournaments happen at different times rather than in different parts of the venue

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm all for keeping melee tourneys alive.

However, I doubt the participation would be that great. Three tourney entrance fees in 1 day is a lot of money and I already know I don't have a chance at winning a melee tourney. So while I think keeping melee alive is an awesome idea don't be suprised if there is a lack of interest in it.

lvl9 CP

Smash Apprentice
Ann Arbor MI/Los Alamos NM/Gainesville FL/Tampa FL
Fred,

I've bought Brawl and played through it this week, and so farI haven't been able to find any strategic or technical elements to Brawl. Sure it's sort of fun, but plays more like Mario Party instead of a serious fighting game. Hopefully someone finds something hidden in Brawl to make the game not suck, but until then I'll be down to play Melee anytime.

Knowing how technical Mark and Oscar are, I'm sure they will be too.

derf

Smash Ace
chris, yea oscar and jamal came over today and we played brawl for 2-3 hours, and then got bored and switched to melee. all 3 of us were like **** this game is so much more fast/fun.

sheer- what if the melee tournies were only $5? $8 maybe? I dont know if gigs would be ok with a fee that low because it cuts their profits. but its worth discussion.

otru- would you enter a $5 tourney?

edit: if youre in favor of melee tournies, please post your ideal entrance fee (not $0)

lvl9 CP

Smash Apprentice
Ann Arbor MI/Los Alamos NM/Gainesville FL/Tampa FL
Fred,

I've bought Brawl and played through it this week, and so farI haven't been able to find any strategic or technical elements to Brawl. Sure it's sort of fun, but plays more like Mario Party instead of a serious fighting game. Hopefully someone finds something hidden in Brawl to make the game not suck, but until then I'll be down to play Melee anytime.

Knowing how technical Mark and Oscar are, I'm sure they will be too.
I forgot the worst part! The taunts suck in Brawl compared to Melee! Sure, Brawl has directional taunts (which scores major cool points), but the taunts themselves suck.

"Yosh! Yoshi!" !? GTFO my house.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I for one think this would be a good idea.

I'm not interested in brawl's competitive side whatsoever.

I would say 10/15$ would be good.

edit: yeah, queen knows whats up.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I'm cool with melee side tournies, but I feel like Brawl will have a LOT of participants now that a whole lot more people are playing it than melee, and that to cut out singles pools would be a bad idea.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I can't see a big tourney like Gigabits having enough time to also do Melee. My tourney had 19 that showed though so it was able to end at about 6:00pm yesterday. Even after waiting to start teams at 12:30 for late people. So smaller ones would be fine I guess, but from what I remember Gigs runs pretty late as it is. I didn't like pools for Melee, but I don't think people would want to lose Brawl pools.

It'd also have to be fairly cheap for me to want to play Melee. $5 is fine I guess.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
if we were to do brelee,

then i guess we wouldn't have time to do singles and dub-dubs for both of them....

Or Melee would be single elim...

But I don't know....I've been liking brawl a lot...

It's more fair for everyone (excpet Olimar) and we would have a huge turnout.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
my votes in for melee. maybe with the huge brawl turnout, we can attract good brawl players who are melee virgins to start playing melee, and work in a reverse evolution. brawls legit as a fighting game, and as chops said, the smarter player always wins. but id personally rather be smarter and win at melee than brawl. $10-$15 would be cool.

derf

Smash Ace
remembering how long low tier+ low tier doubles took, my personal assumption was to only have melee singles tournies. even then time is obviously a concern because brawl matches take longer.

and not to put words in the establishment's mouth, but if gigs does have an enormous brawl turnout (which seems possible for the first few brawl tournaments), brawls pools might take take too long even without melee

Linguini

Smash Master
Ahhhh I played melee yesterday and it was sooo much funner...i miss ganon........
but yeah i vote for no melee tourney, I like melee alot more ,but just to be realistic this tourney is going to be HUGE already and pools are a must for a 64+ tourney.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
melee had a 7 year run for tourneys I think its about time we let go and move one to brawl (which btw ppl need to add me online) The brawl turnout is going to be huge enough and having a melee tourney on top of that would just be adding fuel to an already bigger fire.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I've been saying that we should do this since months and months before Brawl came out, so this idea has my seal of approval.

Also, I was saying from the beginning of the Brawl previews that a Halo 1-2 sort of deal might happen, and it looks like it is. If anyone has been following MLG that long, years ago when Halo 2 came out, -tons- of pros quit because it had so much less depth, but the absolute best players stuck with it and became behemoths in Halo 2 (Team 3D). Also, the competitive population -exploded- when Halo 2 came out, even though lots of pros quit, which also seems to be happening.

derf

Smash Ace
unfortunately hosting tournaments in gainesville is pretty hard to do. the university wont allow gambling on campus and it views tournaments with cash prizes as gambling. other than that, everyone lives in apartments. also, theres not anywhere near as many local players here as in orlando. regardless, if gigs doesnt pick melee up, i had planned on snooping around a bit

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'd rather have brawl doubles and singles than brawl singles and melee singles. if you can fit all three that would work. i've never been to gigabits before but i'd like to go in the future.

i really don't mind all brawl events though. but if you can fit all three, i'd like that better.

Smash your MoM

Smash Ace
im for havein a side torny like melee that would be great..u cant just abandon melee, w/o it i think no 1 would be into brawl like they are...and plus its a great game....

WAVE DASH, WAVE LAND, L-CANCLE etc....that makes the game crazy fun

Renth

Smash Hero
Brawl is really slow.

ganon is terrible, if a zelda loses to a ganon they should quit the game forever.

Melee<3

on a side note.. how are people so willing to ditch melee after putting 4 + years into it? it's like getting a new dog to replace the old one.. it's just not the same.

I want Melee 2.0 (w/online)!!!

:colorful:
Amen.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys

I'm not going to do any melee for this event.

Being that its the first Brawl event the turnout could be real big. We are doing singles and doubles as well. I don't want to risk not having enough time.

After this event we can hold separate melee events or try to do both on the same day but we would need a lot of setups.

slim de la crim

Smash Apprentice
slim, do you plan on attending gigs in the future? (im assuming youd be for a melee side tourney)

YES MOST DEFINETLY WILL ATTEND MELEE TOURNYS I PROLLY WONT BE PLAYING IN BRAWL TOURNAMENTS CUZ BRAWL ISNT A COMPETITIVE GAME. IT DONT KEEP ME GOIN LIIKE MELEE DOES!!!!!! IM ALL FOR THE MELEE TOURNYS! MELEE FOREVER! PUT ME DOWN DERF!

derf

Smash Ace
bump (mods- i promise to let this thread die in a week or so)

cmon guys add your input. if youre undecided, say so and ill make a third column

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
If my next tourney has Melee on the side, would it bring more people? I'll be happy to if so. I won't compete in it though, just stay out to run it smoothly.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Melee side tourneys? Gigs is slow/packed enough... but Yes, I want to see melee continue.
brawl match lasts at least 4 minutes in a 3 stock match if the players aren't camping. good luck pooling the waves of noobs who don't know how to kill (roll behind f-smash, roll away?)in a game where everyone lives forever. hell, they can't even charge f-smashes at the ledge anymore.

having a side tourny wouldn't work logistically, but i would also like to see melee continue.

Top Bottom