• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote for Tom Nook *Tom Nook Charges the competition*

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
TOM NOOK FOR SSB4

Tom Nook is the shop owner of your town in Animal Crossing. He meets you after you enter the town and gives you a home. He gives you a job and teaches you how to plant flowers. Tom Nook is probably the most important character in all animal crossing games to date, as well as being the most iconic and well known character in the franchise.

Franchise Logo:

Counter Arguments:
-"We already have the villager! we don't need another animal crossing rep!"
Animal Crossing is definitely big enough for more than one character at this point.

-"he'll just be a clone of the villager!"
There is plenty of stuff other in animal crossing that is either sold by Tom or bought by him. see this thread for the list of AC stuff used and not used by the villager.

-"He's in Villagers final smash!"
Well then again he is in Smashville and Town & City's background all they would have to do i get Tom nook out of villagers final smash.

-"Tom Nook is a peaceful character"
Villager is also a peaceful character possibly more peaceful than Tom Nook depending on how you play him.
In older games Tom Nook made you work for him when you moved in!!!!

Reasoning:

1: Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's most well known and best selling franchises, to not have a representative is crazy. Tom Nook IS that representative.

2: Tom Nook is the most iconic and recognizable of the characters in Animal Crossing. This would mean he is the best representative for one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises. Because the characters the player uses in Animal Crossing are customizable, it means there is no real "character" the player controls in the game. However, I do admit that the playable character has a very distinct look that is arguably more recognizable than Tom Nook, regardless of the customization options.

3: Tom Nook CAN fight. Just because he is never seen fighting in his games does not mean he can not be a contender. Captain Falcon, ROB, and Mr. Game & Watch are all characters that were never seen in combat. Captain Falcon is implied to be in conflict with others because he is a bounty hunter, however. Fox and Falco were also in SSBM despite having only implied combat experience. Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is also a character who appeared in a fighting game who has no combat experience. At least Tom Nook can use weapons and unique abilities that would allow him to contend with other Nintendo characters.

4: The Animal Crossing series is absolutely stuffed with tools and abilities that can be used for combat. Making an entire moveset for an Animal Crossing character is easy as pie. Look below for an example of a moveset where every single move is taken from an aspect of Animal Crossing gameplay. Plenty of characters already in Smash, including Captain Falcon, the Star Fox characters, ROB, and Zelda had very little to work with and Tom Nook is absolutely not one of those characters.

5: The franchise logo looks really cool and is basically asking to be put next to Tom Nook's face at the bottom of the screen.

There is no other character from Animal Crossing that deserves to be in Smash more.

Credit to all the previous writers in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/anim...the-tom-nook-thread-chances-up-by-100.324602/

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Back in Brawl, I was rooting for Tom Nook so hard. Unfortunately Villager got in instead of him for 4, so I think that really hurt his chances. Nevertheless, I would still love to see him, if only because Wario can't be the only crazy capitalist in this game. Tom Nook needs to smack people around with his bags of money, at least (I saw a Brawl mod that put Tom Nook's model on Olimar and made the Pikmin money bags... amusing, to say the least). With Tom Nook, every battle is a coin battle :denzel:

I doubt there's much support for him anymore, but he's one of the few newcomers I'd actually be interested in at this point, since most of the obvious choices have been done. Animal Crossing isn't some tiny franchise either; I'd say it deserves a second rep over some of the franchises that already have them. There's also enough stuff within Animal Crossing that you could make Tom Nook a character unique from Villager if you wanted to.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Back in Brawl, I was rooting for Tom Nook so hard. Unfortunately Villager got in instead of him for 4, so I think that really hurt his chances. Nevertheless, I would still love to see him, if only because Wario can't be the only crazy capitalist in this game. Tom Nook needs to smack people around with his bags of money, at least (I saw a Brawl mod that put Tom Nook's model on Olimar and made the Pikmin money bags... amusing, to say the least). With Tom Nook, every battle is a coin battle :denzel:

I doubt there's much support for him anymore, but he's one of the few newcomers I'd actually be interested in at this point, since most of the obvious choices have been done. Animal Crossing isn't some tiny franchise either; I'd say it deserves a second rep over some of the franchises that already have them. There's also enough stuff within Animal Crossing that you could make Tom Nook a character unique from Villager if you wanted to.
As much representation as Animal Crossing has been getting I wouldn't be surprised if he got a slot.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
As much representation as Animal Crossing has been getting I wouldn't be surprised if he got a slot.
Hmm, I hope so. I'm not feeling optimistic about my cut veterans so I don't even want to start placing my hopes on newcomers.

I also like him more than the other potential AC choices. He's basically an icon for AC, moreso than Resetti, imo, who shows up in one context. I'm surprised at how the games develop Nook's backstory and personality in those little side-convos, like how Nook pretended to have had a "petriperm" to not look like an idiot to Harriett, how he buys coffee for his nephews/kidnapped twins/whatever Tommy and Tim are, how he's a total K.K. Slider fanboy... as well as how sarcastic he is in the first game when you don't pay him anything, how you could knock on his door at like midnight and he'd grudgingly open shop for you in his pajamas (I know only one game ever did this but I thought that was hilarious), how bizarrely excited he gets in Wild World when you give him trash, his strange relationship with Sable and Crazy Redd.

And yet most people see him as some sort of mafioso gangsta pimp type who cracks your kneecaps when you don't pay him back. He's probably the chillest lender I've ever seen; if he's got any kneecap-cracking experience, though, it would sure come in handy for Smash.

I also think he'd have the best alternate outfits.
Apron Nook!

Sweater-vest Nook!

Suit-and-tie Nook!

Pajamas Nook! (the look on his face is just pure sleepy hatred)

Apron-that-covers-more Nook!

Wal-Mart Nook!

Tracksuit Nook! (he can throw coffee at you when you get his order wrong)

And I think an alternate that had Redd's apron would be pretty neat. Just sayin'.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I need to join the supporters list please!!! Hardcore Tom Nook fan. Surprisingly, I still see a load of requests for him in the ballot even though he's deconfirmed.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I need to join the supporters list please!!! Hardcore Tom Nook fan. Surprisingly, I still see a load of requests for him in the ballot even though he's deconfirmed.
Deconfirmed? he may appear in Villagers final smash but whats it name is in Shulk's final smash and is an assist trophy nothing's impossible.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Deconfirmed? he may appear in Villagers final smash but whats it name is in Shulk's final smash and is an assist trophy nothing's impossible.
You calling the great Heropon Riki "whats it name?"

And Palutena used to be Pit's Final Smash, anything can happen. :denzel: Maybe it's a Nook from a different town or whatever.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Before I saw this thread, there were times when I've actually thought of Crazy Redd(Everyone's cousin!) as a Smash Bros. fighter. This is relevant.

Last edited:
Pre defined role though. . .
riki isnt playable and the 2 roles arent visible at the same time

A more applicable example is chrom who is also a FS and. . .well.

Top Bottom