• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager in 1.1.1

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Thread for changes found to Villager in the new patch. So far, nothing has been found yet except for the minor global changes.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
According to thinkaman in the general patch thread, data doesn't point to there being any changes to villager at all.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Problem with Villager always is that so many of his moves are not contained in the character data but separate projectile data, so I wouldn't count him as unchanged yet.

But yeah, Sakurai seems to think he's completely fine as is.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Looks like we might be looking at a global shield stun increase, which is good for a lot of characters but Villager definitely can benefit a lot from that - there aren't many moves safe on shield.

Choi1357

Smash Rookie
Looks like it's safer to land with aerials now. Tomahawking with villager wasn't really a thing except for the jabs

Veen.

Plant. Water. Chop.
NNID
VeenStache711
We definitely need to find out what moves could be safer to use now.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Nair OoS is worse now which sucks since it was a good powerful tool before, the best parts for villager is probably landing with dair is safer and landing with nair is safer- so something like SH rising nair into landing nair into jab is all safe probably

Veen.

Plant. Water. Chop.
NNID
VeenStache711
Any thoughts on combos regarding trying to break shields? Possibly involving the axe or tree timber?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Any thoughts on combos regarding trying to break shields? Possibly involving the axe or tree timber?
Riding lloid at someone on a platform, with the lloid just low enough to hit the bottom part of their shield, to axe, is true, and allllmsot breaks shields.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Yo guys, i just figured out that Villager's Up B might be nerfed.
Check this out :https://youtu.be/eQO2OSqYdW4
Notice that the first up b is exactly identical, while the second one is way shorter than before.
You should check vil's upb data just in case !
Yup, it's nerfed again, and this time it's really annoying. I lost a bo5 3-2 because of it :'(

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Sheik Pikachu Rosa untouched... and Villager gets a second recovery nerf? Makes no sense. I'm really mad. -.-

Hopefully some OP shield setups can be discovered to make up for it, lol

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
"Villager recovery is OP"

BS

Welp, at least we still don't have to land to recover.

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Ok so apparently the changes to shield are a lot more extensive than just the formula change. It's a little confusing so i thought i would summarise the changes here.

So you hit the shield button (awwwww look at you all cute and safe in your shield :3).

What happened in 1.1.0:

A timer starts counting down frames 1-4. If you get hit it's a perfect shield. Not much else to explain here.

If you don't get hit another timer starts counting down 8 frames. This is the "shieldlock" phase. You can use your oos options (roll, spotdodge, jump and jump cancels), but you can't drop your shield until the 8 frames are up!

Now if someone hits your shield while you are in this state or any time after, you go into "shieldstun". In this state you are completely frozen in your shield and can't do anything at all! The ammount of shieldstun frames you receive is according to the formula (damage / 2.56 rounded down). Any remaining shieldlock you had left is paused during shieldstun and starts counting down again after the shieldstun.

This means missing a perfect shield by one frame puts you in a worst case scenario for punishing (unless you buffer an oos option)!

How it works now in 1.1.1:

The perfect shield timer works the same except that its reduced to 3 frames instead of 4 (bummers =/)

The shieldlock timer works the same too. You get your oos options, and you can drop your shield on frame 11(perfect shield timer + shieldlock timer).

Here is where things get really different. You still go into shieldstun when you get hit during the shieldlock or after stage (now according to the formula (damage / 1.75) +2 rounded down), but your shieldlock timer no longer pauses when your shieldstun timer begins. They both count down at the same time now!

So now, instead of being in a worst case scenario when someone hit your shield just outside of that elusive perfect shield window, you are in a best case scenario. In fact, when you do the math, any moves that do less than 20% will actually hold you in your shield for less frames when hit on the first frame of shield lock because the 8 frames won't get added to the new shieldstun values.

But what does it all mean Johnny!?

Well it is obviously much less safe to stay in your shield for prolonged periods (duh!), but compared to the old shield mechanic it's always better to shield sooner rather than later. Oos options are now much less effective since you will almost never have a period of shieldlock after your shieldstun.

Approaching with shields seems like it's actually going to be better than before as long as you only tap the shield button. All in all it is going to encourage short, skillful use of shield and generally quicken the pace of matches.

You can read more details in this thread:

http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-1-1-1.419235/

And if i got anything wrong let me know so i can fix it, mmmmkay? =)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ok so apparently the changes to shield are a lot more extensive than just the formula change. It's a little confusing so i thought i would summarise the changes here.

So you hit the shield button (awwwww look at you all cute and safe in your shield :3).

What happened in 1.1.0:

A timer starts counting down frames 1-4. If you get hit it's a perfect shield. Not much else to explain here.

If you don't get hit another timer starts counting down 8 frames. This is the "shieldlock" phase. You can use your oos options (roll, spotdodge, jump and jump cancels), but you can't drop your shield until the 8 frames are up!

Now if someone hits your shield while you are in this state or any time after, you go into "shieldstun". In this state you are completely frozen in your shield and can't do anything at all! The ammount of shieldstun frames you receive is according to the formula (damage / 2.56 rounded down). Any remaining shieldlock you had left is paused during shieldstun and starts counting down again after the shieldstun.

This means missing a perfect shield by one frame puts you in a worst case scenario for punishing (unless you buffer an oos option)!

How it works now in 1.1.1:

The perfect shield timer works the same except that its reduced to 3 frames instead of 4 (bummers =/)

The shieldlock timer works the same too. You get your oos options, and you can drop your shield on frame 11(perfect shield timer + shieldlock timer).

Here is where things get really different. You still go into shieldstun when you get hit during the shieldlock or after stage (now according to the formula (damage / 1.75) +2 rounded down), but your shieldlock timer no longer pauses when your shieldstun timer begins. They both count down at the same time now!

So now, instead of being in a worst case scenario when someone hit your shield just outside of that elusive perfect shield window, you are in a best case scenario. In fact, when you do the math, any moves that do less than 20% will actually hold you in your shield for less frames when hit on the first frame of shield lock because the 8 frames won't get added to the new shieldstun values.

But what does it all mean Johnny!?

Well it is obviously much less safe to stay in your shield for prolonged periods (duh!), but compared to the old shield mechanic it's always better to shield sooner rather than later. Oos options are now much less effective since you will almost never have a period of shieldlock after your shieldstun.

Approaching with shields seems like it's actually going to be better than before as long as you only tap the shield button. All in all it is going to encourage short, skillful use of shield and generally quicken the pace of matches.

You can read more details in this thread:

http://smashboards.com/threads/shields-in-1-1-1.419235/

And if i got anything wrong let me know so i can fix it, mmmmkay? =)
I thought perfect shielding was frame 1-3, and was buffed to 1-4, according to Shaya?

This is cool tho, means the option select of run-tap shield - buffer jump nair, so if you dont shield you do oos nair, if you DO perfect shield, you grab...

Top Bottom