• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video with cool, NEW Yoshi techniques!

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I definitely need to try that fats Pivot Grab.

BTW in the video showing Wolf being edgeguarded, why is the Egg Grab necessary?

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
I definitely need to try that fats Pivot Grab.

BTW in the video showing Wolf being edgeguarded, why is the Egg Grab necessary?
I think it is necessary because if he gets caught by Yoshi's tongue, there is no escape from that footstool jump. If he didn't do egg lay, then Wolf would have escaped. His tongue pulls Wolf into the footstool.

Gindler

Smash Champion
So does that ELFS only work on Wolf? Just wondering because that's awfully limited, although I do have the biggest problem with wolfs :p

Sharky

Smash Master
Yeah it's easiest on Wolf because his escape distance from Yoshi's grab works perfectly with the ELFS. (lol ELFS) =P

PRiDE

Smash Lord
has anyone else done the infinite on wario thats not computer controlled?? my friends can except from it, he jumps just before reaching the tough.... like just over it.. its only working on comps for me.. let me know. thanks.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I think it is necessary because if he gets caught by Yoshi's tongue, there is no escape from that footstool jump. If he didn't do egg lay, then Wolf would have escaped. His tongue pulls Wolf into the footstool.
Oh I see... I was hoping that the Egg Lay extended the Foot Stools range but all it does is create another obstacle for the opponent, still, I like it.

Badgey

Smash Rookie
has anyone else done the infinite on wario thats not computer controlled?? my friends can except from it, he jumps just before reaching the tough.... like just over it.. its only working on comps for me.. let me know. thanks.
All of the time.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I don't play much Human Wario's. I think yesterday was my first ever match against one. I manage to Chaingrab him about 3 continuous grabs until I did the next one too early and he footstool jumped away

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's easiest on Wolf because his escape distance from Yoshi's grab works perfectly with the ELFS. (lol ELFS) =P
That and he falls really friggin' fast.

The grab > release > ELFS combo looks like it might end up being character specific, specifically fast-faller and possibly heavy characters. Someone needs to test this.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Wow nice job decoding all this stuff guys. I wish the people on the Lucas thread were this cooperative in finding and explaining techs. Great stuff.

Veehelm

Smash Rookie
I had some interesting and possibly relevant results with the egg lay cancel today while playing against my friend who used Kirby.

We were playing around in training trying to see if a certain glitch worked with all characters. Mid testing I got bored and asked him to try something with me and for roughly 10 minutes we tried to perform the canceled egg lay and despite every effort we couldn't do it. Then we began sparring and to my surprise when Kirby was using his basic A-tap jab combo it was almost a guaranteed egg lay cancel giving me an easy jab setup (I Didn't bother testing to see what I could get off with its hit-stun). After doing this once we did it several times to confirm and we continued sparring. After a while I was in a poor spot and my friend continuously had me up in the air trying to juggle me. During this I directional influenced to his side and he attacked with an F-air and I countered with a Neutral-B. Once again, to my surprise, I performed an egg lay cancel and quickly used N-air. The unusual thing here was I absorbed his attack, damage and all, without knock-back (Super Armor!?) and was free to move with him in hit-stun! I did this a couple more times and my friend got pissed that I was almost at 200 damage and still alive.

So the general hypothesis I have going from this is that against certain characters (perhaps relative to size?) the egg lay cancel can only be performed when their body is in an altered state such as during an attack. If this is true and a degree of super armor is granted then perhaps, against certain characters, Neutral-B could be used (with proper timing and spacing) as a counter attack.

This is just a thought I wanted to propose to our Yoshi community but more data is need to confirm this or see if this was just a fluke. I kind of feel left out of the thread for missing Fumi’s original video but a thank you to bigman40 for making a copy.:)

D

Deleted member

I cant do the sliding egg throws with tap jump off. Ive tried for like 2 hours, and i still cant even up b out of a dash with it off. Can someone help, because tap jump off helps with a ton of other stuff.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I had some interesting and possibly relevant results with the egg lay cancel today while playing against my friend who used Kirby.

We were playing around in training trying to see if a certain glitch worked with all characters. Mid testing I got bored and asked him to try something with me and for roughly 10 minutes we tried to perform the canceled egg lay and despite every effort we couldn't do it. Then we began sparring and to my surprise when Kirby was using his basic A-tap jab combo it was almost a guaranteed egg lay cancel giving me an easy jab setup (I Didn't bother testing to see what I could get off with its hit-stun). After doing this once we did it several times to confirm and we continued sparring. After a while I was in a poor spot and my friend continuously had me up in the air trying to juggle me. During this I directional influenced to his side and he attacked with an F-air and I countered with a Neutral-B. Once again, to my surprise, I performed an egg lay cancel and quickly used N-air. The unusual thing here was I absorbed his attack, damage and all, without knock-back (Super Armor!?) and was free to move with him in hit-stun! I did this a couple more times and my friend got pissed that I was almost at 200 damage and still alive.

So the general hypothesis I have going from this is that against certain characters (perhaps relative to size?) the egg lay cancel can only be performed when their body is in an altered state such as during an attack. If this is true and a degree of super armor is granted then perhaps, against certain characters, Neutral-B could be used (with proper timing and spacing) as a counter attack.

This is just a thought I wanted to propose to our Yoshi community but more data is need to confirm this or see if this was just a fluke. I kind of feel left out of the thread for missing Fumi’s original video but a thank you to bigman40 for making a copy.:)
I just want to get things straight before they get out of hand. Yoshi's egg lay does not give SA frames. Sorry to get really technical with it, but it only appears to give SA frames, and here's why.

It's a new game mechanic that when a grab and an attack hitbox connect at the same time they trade hits. The person doing the attacked will get grabbed, while the person doing the grab will take the damage but will not take any knockback from the hit. Yoshi's egg lay has a grab hitbox and that's why it works that you can counter an attack with it. This is true for any grab or move with a grab hitbox in the game (i.e. Wario's bite). But say if the grab doesn't connect and the attack does, you're going to take a full hit, knockback and all. Sorry I'm not trying to bash you in any way. I just don't want people to go around saying Yoshi's egg lay gives SA when it doesn't. It is very good to counter attacks with. :)

Here's a video for proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeuXNw5P3G4

I cant do the sliding egg throws with tap jump off. Ive tried for like 2 hours, and i still cant even up b out of a dash with it off. Can someone help, because tap jump off helps with a ton of other stuff.
If you want to do a sliding egg toss without tap to jump on, you're going to need some very quick fingers :p. You got to dash in the direction you want to slide, hit you're jump button, and then do an egg toss before you leave the ground. Hitting the jump button will cancel your dash with a jump, and if you are able to do an egg toss while sliding. It takes some practice to get down consistantly. Hope that helps. :)

Forsworn

Smash Cadet
I play with Tap Jump off as well, but I can do this reverse egg throw easily because of my button configuration with the Gamecube controller. I have Y set to jump and R set to Special.

Dash --> Up/Upward reverse diagonal on control stick + Jump button (Y) + Special button (R) all at same time --> Manipulate egg throw like normal with control stick and Special button

I haven't used it in matches yet, but the button inputs feel fluid and not clunky at all with my setup.

bigman40

Smash Master
To efficiently ETS w/o tap jump. You'll have to be quick in moving your fingers. the analog stick should go in a 180 degree from where ever you dash. When you jump, make sure you analog stick is facing up or in the corner on the opposite side you were running. If you do it too early, you'll pivot and it won't work. You can see it when you slow down in training mode.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
First of all, thanks for the new video since I missed the original. Anyways, for those of you attempting the sliding eggs with tap jump off, you may want to add an additional jump button. I had earlier added L on the Gamecube controller as a jump button for when I wanted to c-stick aerials without flinging my thumb back an forth. This also is a great help with the sliding eggs. I simply hit L at approximately the same time as upB.

D

Deleted member

First of all, thanks for the new video since I missed the original. Anyways, for those of you attempting the sliding eggs with tap jump off, you may want to add an additional jump button. I had earlier added L on the Gamecube controller as a jump button for when I wanted to c-stick aerials without flinging my thumb back an forth. This also is a great help with the sliding eggs. I simply hit L at approximately the same time as upB.
I love u. This way is really easy and effective, i suggest u all try it, it makes for extremely easy ETS's and doesnt interfere with my other controls.

bigman40

Smash Master
I haven't used it in matches yet, but the button inputs feel fluid and not clunky at all with my setup.
I started putting it into my game. They are perfect for defense and they are really good when you go against a good snake. Those eggs help create havoc to keep snake from setting up so many traps.

BTW, does anyone use the DJC egg lay? I've been messing around with it and it seems useful as a counter, but I'd like to know from other yoshi players before I do anything.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I prefer the DJC Egg Lay as more of an approach this time around.

I find that the things you really want to counter with a reverse DJC are best just run away from and then approached with something else. The range on the move is kinda lacking for the purposes of using for a reverse counter, I find.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I really only started using egg lay towards the end of melee, Seanson's Yoshi combo video inspired me. DJC egg lay is probably one of the few things that has remained pretty much untouched from melee (the range on egg lay was nerfed, but just a teeny bit). But this time around there are so many different ways you can incorporate it into your game.

Quickly dashing in the opposite direction and jumping causes Yoshi to turn around his gigantic head. It's very good for dodging oncoming attacks and for spacing in general. Follow it up with a double jump back in the direction you were originally facing to counter, like Shiri said.

DJC egg lay gives you heavy frames which lets you go through some attacks if your not too high. Throwing people into an egg can really affect the flow of the game and can score you an extra hit or two.

Reverse neutral b is a very nice skill to utilize, just quickly tap the opposite direction before using egg lay to turn around.

A new feature in brawl is wavebouncing. There are two ways to do this. One way is to assign the c-stick to do specials. If you jump in one direction, and c stick in the other direction with the corresponding special. This will cause you to do the special in the direction you are facing, but you will move backwards. It is really hard to do a neutral b with the c stick because you have to hit exactly one of the diagonal notches on the c-stick.

The way I use wavebounce my egg lay is to jump in one direction, press b, then move he control stick in the opposite direction. This will cause you to wavebounce in the direction you were facing originally, and do an egg lay in that direction also.

I'm still trying to work on spacing to make it work better in my game, but it's definitely my still my most favorite move in the game. It goes through shields, and attacks if you can connect it correctly.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it has to be from the other side. You can keep grabbing from the same side, but pivot grabs are just easier to time since they're really quick. I've pivot grabbed from the same side while a Wario was over the ledge, since I couldn't run out any further.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bringer, I know what you mean. There's just something about it, though...

Here, think of it like this. I'm not sure if these percentages are the same in PAL, but this is how it went down in NTSC. Remember Marth's 0-death grab on Fox from Melee? You could just up throw and regrab from 7% to 21%. After 21%, you had to pivot to keep it going. If you tried to just regrab, even with a different timing, it wouldn't work for some reason. There's probably a very elementary explanation for this, but I honestly have no idea what it is. But yeah, if you think about it like that, it might make more sense.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shiri, I can only think of that being caused by a spacing issue.

The reason you pivot with Marth is because of Fox's ability to shine you out of stuff. If you don't pivot, you have to time your grab to be the early part of Marth's grab animation and Fox can react fast enough to shine you while you wait for him to fall that far. However, if you pivot, you are out of range of shine.

I can't see the same thing happening here. Nevertheless, it is possible that pivoting just helps time it easier. And it's flashier. Flashy ftw.

syncro

Smash Rookie
hey do any of you guys know how to do those really big yoshi egg throws that they say you can on the official smash bros brawl website
:confused:

HELP

bigman40

Smash Master
Heh, Shiri, The egg lay cancel (don't know what to call it) may be easier than suspected. I was able to do it twice on a human player (he was wolf and yoshi), on red ping too. Maybe when you get used to the spot that you need to hit it, it becomes easier. The only thing I found it weird though is that I used the DJC to do it.......idk something I wanted to throw out there. It's not as tough as it seems once you understand how far away you need to be to get the move.

EDIT: oh, for some people playing with tap jump off. Clawing the controller could let you ETS with ease.

Top Bottom