• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
noo we really didn't gardex but yes after that mind**** we 4stockd them maybe kunai will eventually upload one game where we fought leon/b-jay?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
always thought double G&W had potential but it's never really been tested out.
Probably not nearly as good as lets say double wario but definitely underrated.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Got some uploads, some that need critiquing, some just because.

Some are a little outdated but nothing too bad

SmileyFace (Mr. Maim and Watch) vs moo (Diddy Kong) 3

^moo is an MK player that's sorta afraid of my Gdubs specifically, not any of my other characters though (or so he tells me). He won the first as MK, then I won the second and in his attempt to force me off of Gdubs went Diddy on FD knowing I have both a peach and mk. I just stuck with it though because I'd been trying to put more faith in my gdubs. He did this to me last year and won that one so I guess this was my redemption or something. He's probably the most moody based player in our scene and when he's scared he plays...pretty bad, but when he starts to feel himself he becomes the biggest troll and his execution skyrockets and he can threaten our good players tournament life. Its really weird to watch it happen, it's like jekyll and hyde sorta. Regardless this is his diddy so you won't really see what i'm talkign about.
--
This... is just gay...

Yep... that's it.
--
SmileyFace (yup) vs RaveRemix (Toon Link) 1
SmileyFace (Uh huh) vs RaveRemix (Toon Link) 2

And the award for the gayest person I have to fight pretty much ever goes to RaveRemix. I win the set but he's soooo annoying to play against. Probably the most stressful matches I have to play because of the ******** volume of projectile to powershield. Still though chalk this one up as another win for the projectileless characters =)
--
Critique please (ICs vs Gdubs)

Maize (Ice Climbers) vs SmileyFace (Metaknight) 1
Maize (Ice Climbers) vs SmileyFace (Mr. Game and Watch) 2

In case you're wondering why I went Gdubs game 2: Because i'm a boss and I make my own rules. Literally that was why. It was a pride thing. Cost me a match but it was pools I didn't really care. He warned me to stay MK and yeah I probably SHOULD have listened but I thought I could win with Gdubs, really. I wasn't gonna take him to lylat because I kill myself there a lot and have no stage experience but I assumed the overall difficulty of him trying to do his CGs on that stage was worth it. Not only was it not, I actually CP'd myself. Maize is SoCal he was visiting us because he loves AZ and I love him [btw my boy Maize beat MikeHaze last weekend hype!]
--
SmileyFace (Metaknight) vs Mikeyy (ZSS) 1
SmileyFace (Gdubs) vs Mikeyy (ZSS) 2
SmileyFace (Gdubs) vs Mikeyy (ZSS) 3

I was trying to get my MK some practice. This is sorta older but still I dont get to put too many matches of my Gdubs up. I didn't really know what I was doing but I was just doing so here ya go.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Alright Swei, there are some things here that you should think about until next time.

First of all, I'm barely seeing any bairs or fairs; you're almost only going for dairs and grabs.(Although the few times you actually used fair, you used it effectively)
Bair and fair are both great moves when spaced well. Bair can be used to poke shields and both fair and bair can be used to gimp.

You have this thing going on where you pick very weird options. When Falco is recovering with his up b, you should hit him with a weak fair or a bair, not just stand on the stage or hit him with a down air. When he's on the ledge you'd just jump up and down while nairing, not sure why.

You almost ALWAYS jab after dthrow. This is both good and bad. It's good because you're abusing the fact that your opponent isn't teching it, and therefor setting them up for a regrab. However, they will catch on after the first time, so after one jab > regrab I suggest doing something else like dsmash, dtilt or dash attack.
When they were in kill %, you did a nice job of smash out of the dthrow, your nairs were also good.

Try cutting down somewhat on the grab attempts.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The only critique about vsing ICs that ever matters is choose more safe options, and don't mess up. If you don't mess up you beat ICs as most characters (including GaW). The reason I think GaW loses to ICs so badly is because it's really easy to make a poor decision as GaW because you're forced to commit a lot of time in each move you do. I don't know what kind of advice you can get for vsing ICs that would make you play better vs them other than look at your matches and see why you got grabbed, and really understand the decision on your part that allowed you to get grabbed. If it wasn't a decision, but a technical error then just acknowledge you need to practice your execution.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Remember when G&W beat Ice Climbers?
Good times.

I have a goodie for you guys. Me vs Mr R. Europe's finest vs some dutch dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMFF_EXXwq4

Except for some horrible Gardex punishes*, I played well enough. Game 3 has legendary kills by me, especially Ramin's 2nd stock. You need to see that ****.

*Gardex punish - A term of increasing popularity in Europe that describes the act of horribly failing to punish well or punish at all in a situation that leaves the enemy open for the hardest of punishes.

Namesearch activate: Vinnie

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm really looking forward to see you play against Heru. You will quit Brawl after that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Why do you insist on dairing so much? Lots of your dairs were great, but lots of them were really bad :/.

Also when marth is in fsmash kill range, and he DBs your shield, don't grab! Just wait and fsmash.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
It's an addiction I can't stooooop

Problem with the DB thing is that he often grabbed out of DB, kinda made me iffy about just sitting in the shield

Alphicans

Smash Hero
If you have fast enough reaction (you don't need really good reflexes btw), then if marth uses db on your shield you get an fsmash on him no matter what, meaning he can't grab you. If he's grabbing you you're doing something wrong.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It is. You can't just fsmash Marth out of DB unless he does the whole thing which only noobs do.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
[COLLAPSE="Marth's SideB Frame Data"]Note: The (x)>> indicates when the dancing blade may continue into another attack of the combo

Forward b 1
Hit: 4-7
End: 30
(15) >>
Shield Stun: 1
~Shield Hit Lag: 0
ADVANTAGE: -25
Tipper Shield Stun: 1
Regular Stun: 21
~Hit Lag: 0
ADVANTAGE: -5
Regular Tipper Stun: 22
ADVANTAGE: -4

Forward b 2:
Hit: 21-25
End: 55
(28) >>

Forward b 3:
33-37
End: 72
(39)>>

Forward b 4:
49-54
End: 92

---------------

(28)>>
Down b 3
Hit: 34-36
(39)>>

Down b 4
Hit: 52 – 78
End: 103

---------------

(15) >>
Up b 2
Hit: 22-26
End: 53
(28)>>

Up b 3
Hit: 33-37
End: 71
(43)>>

Up b 4
Hit: 54-59
[/COLLAPSE]

If I'm reading these numbers right, we can only fsmash if he does all 4 hits. Otherwise the advantage is between 8 and 14 frames, not counting the shield drop.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Funny, we have another expression for this kind of punishes here in france, we call it Blubo punish.

Blubo punish: the act to jab or grab the opponent with Ike, when you could clearly use an fsmash. This is mostly used in situations when the opponent is completely free and messed up big time (cf Marth's UpB, Zss grab).

@ics/g&w: Dueler beat Myollnir again this week-end, in pools though :I

Alphicans

Smash Hero
[COLLAPSE="Marth's SideB Frame Data"]Note: The (x)>> indicates when the dancing blade may continue into another attack of the combo

Forward b 1
Hit: 4-7
End: 30
(15) >>
Shield Stun: 1
Tipper Shield Stun: 1
Regular Stun: 21
ADVANTAGE: -5
Regular Tipper Stun: 22
ADVANTAGE: -4

Forward b 2:
Hit: 21-25
End: 55
(28) >>

Forward b 3:
33-37
(39)>>

Forward b 4:
49-54

---------------

(28)>>
Down b 3
Hit: 34-36
(39)>>

Down b 4
Hit: 52 – 78
End: 103

---------------

(15) >>
Up b 2
Hit: 22-26
End: 53
(28)>>

Up b 3
Hit: 33-37
End: 71
(43)>>

Up b 4
Hit: 54-59
[/COLLAPSE]

If I'm reading these numbers right, we can only fsmash if he does all 4 hits. Otherwise the advantage is between 8 and 14 frames, not counting the shield drop.
Could you go through the math with me on this one? I am pretty sure you get an fsmash if they do 3 or 4, a decent punish if they do 2, and definitely a grab if they do 1.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Unless Marth does all four hits you should at all times shieldgrab. Only fsmash if you notice the Marth likes to spotdodge after hitting a sideB into shield or something. Dthrow can lead into better stuff anyways, though Marth is THE hardest character to techchase after Dthrow.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Weird, cause I've fsmashed third hit DB a lot against various marths...

Can we not fair/anything else (ftilt even)?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They just didnt upb you in time. The frames dont lie. Of course if it still works then go for it.

:phone:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
My request about going through the math still stands. I don't know how to read this properly if we only have 8-14 frames of advantage. I know the frames don't lie, but I want to make sure we're all reading this right.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Well I'm basing it off of the difference between the end of one hit and the start of the next hit. I don't have much time right now, but unless there is a shield disadvantage, which I have only seen when not continuing all the way through, those are the numbers.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh I see. Yes you are definitely reading it wrong haha.

15 - frame advantage from first hit
27 - frame advantage from 2nd hit
33 - frame advantage from 3rd hit
38 - frame advantage from 4th hit

This is how I am reading it, and I think I am reading it correctly. So you cannot fsmash db1, but you can fsmash the rest. You might be able to barely dsmash db1.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That is assuming the Marth doesn't react and immediately follow up with the next hit. It's just like why MKs Ftilt is ********.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Actually that's not assuming anything like that. There is a large period of time where marth will not be able to db anymore. Nearly all of the db give you double the time you need to fsmash marth, so the timing isn't even strict. You should easily be able to fsmash marth every time he dbs your shield. If you can't you need to work on your reaction time.

Also I am confused... It says db1 is -25 on block :/. That should also mean we get an fsmash on that, but actually looking at the frame data doesn't show that.

EDIT: This is making me think we should make a "what moves we can fsmash OoS" thread. Or better yet, just a general OoS punish guide. People constantly say GaW can't land smashes vs smart and safe people, but if we can reliably hit a smash just off of shielding with absolute confidence that it will hit, GaW could perform a lot better.

D

Deleted member 189823

Alright Swei, there are some things here that you should think about until next time.

First of all, I'm barely seeing any bairs or fairs; you're almost only going for dairs and grabs.(Although the few times you actually used fair, you used it effectively)
Bair and fair are both great moves when spaced well. Bair can be used to poke shields and both fair and bair can be used to gimp.

You have this thing going on where you pick very weird options. When Falco is recovering with his up b, you should hit him with a weak fair or a bair, not just stand on the stage or hit him with a down air. When he's on the ledge you'd just jump up and down while nairing, not sure why.

You almost ALWAYS jab after dthrow. This is both good and bad. It's good because you're abusing the fact that your opponent isn't teching it, and therefor setting them up for a regrab. However, they will catch on after the first time, so after one jab > regrab I suggest doing something else like dsmash, dtilt or dash attack.
When they were in kill %, you did a nice job of smash out of the dthrow, your nairs were also good.

Try cutting down somewhat on the grab attempts.
Thank you for the critique, Gardex. I was really expecting it.
I don't know how to approach Falco, how do I do that? I want to get better in that MU in general. Any tips?

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
The Wario gimps were nice, but he was way too hasty with his recovery with you being right there ready to gimp.

And I have no idea how you were able to get in so many grabs in on Snake.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
K you completely ***** him rofl.

That dair -> dair combo near the end was cool.
Would've looked even more legit if I connected with the grab afterwards

This guy beat me last time we played(Going all Snake)
Twas a big upset at the time.

Grabbing Snake is easyyyy
Making something out of the grab is way harder(But my reads were good this time around, so I made it work)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well. Ftilt is pretty slow and weak. It's basically a compromise between Dtilt and Fsmash which we don't even need. You need to take a great risk to land a laggy and slow move that doesn't even reward you much. Our worst move, no contest. It's not useless, but it's not very important as it's outclassed by pretty much everything.

Top Bottom