• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Games That Represent Your Country

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I'm kind of curious as to what countries people here would say are the best at representing the country you come from. It can be games specifically set in that country or games made in that country with a lot of elements of culture.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Oh thats interseting especially for a german like myself!
There is a lot of german in media although 99% of it is one of three things:
1. Stereotypes that are still really awful!
2. Nazis
3. Bad stuff from germans!
Like the only times i think Germans are dfecently represented would be these:

The edna and harvey series That series is great and takes place in some asylum in germany a lot of the specific german reffrences were removed in the american version + everyone being boiled down to crazy person with an awful dub! In general its a good story with nice parodys of mental health too!

I dont know if that counts but spy x family takes place in whats essentially fictional post WW2 Germany!
Which is an extremly unexplored setting you still get a lot of the advantages of WW2 stuff like for example EVIL Villains that are still in charge after WW2
but you also get amore nuanced and adaptable take on germany that can show its blossoming beauty and in general this setting avoids all the issues with
WW2 stuff like boiling every single german down to statan himself!

Now to come back to the funny family the cold war germany is just an incredibly fun Setting! And having a show set in germany that isnt war focused and instead wholesome is something germany rep despratly needs! That show has a game following ANYA who is a remanent of the terrible Experiments done in the war but she herself is just precious!

Im Running out of good german media...
Like there is the one German girl in zom 100 she is still a bit stereotypical heck she eats a pretzel in her one german flashback but she is nice speaks semi decently and doesnt wear tracht so thats something right?

I have no experience with him but there is that one german in tekken
Ah yeah and von kaiser in punchout wii hes still a stereo type although of the less used kaiser variety and he has some funny german quotes!

Thats like absolutly every positive expiernce i had with germany in media! and most of these are still flawed and or anime

Again germany in media is DIRE!

I guess there is also my videospiel-Man idea but that doesnt really coiunt either right?

Edit: theres also the grim fairytales but i dont think they represent modern germany pretty well!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well since I am British, there are a number of depictions within video games that represents my country.

Although many would view sports such as football (soccer), rugby and cricket which Britain is famous for, there is another sport in which my country usually thrives quite a lot which is professional boxing which have seen quite a number of established British boxers from Frank Bruno, Chris Eubank, Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe and Anthony Joshua.

There are a few British boxers that do kind of reflect my country in a sort of way such as Dudley (in Street Fighter) and Steve Fox (Tekken.)

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
I'm brazilian,i already saw video games who always have Rio de Janeiro who is the most known state but not other states, one of the biggest examples is Max Payne 3 who is the bad representation,Brazil is represented in soccer,beach,favela,carnival,and these things are stereotype things,it's the same thing that anyone say that Brazil is a spanish speaker country because we're from latin america and this is also a stupid thing

And there's various brazilian characters as Caveira and Captain from Rainbow Six, Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear Rising, Eddy Gordo from Tekken, Lucio from Overwatch, Sean and Laura from Street Fighter, Rikuo from Darkstalkers, Carlos from Resident Evil, Leona from The King of Fighters (but isn't confirmed if she is really a brazilian,Leona was found in brazilan soil), Neeko from League of Legends and etc,these characters are more represented and very better than anyone show that "Brazil just have Rio de Janeiro, bandits, everyone is poor and blah blah blah"

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Sonic Adventure games. No one understands America better than foreigners, really. I love reading about how Sonic Team came and learned about our various cultures (those of the Natives as well as the Europeans), took photos to use as textures for the games, and just how much they loved it here.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I grew up in America and when I saw this topic, the games that immediately came to mind for me are the Sonic Adventure games and the Tony Hawk games, especially American Wasteland. I have thought a lot about these games recently, not only because I miss the 1990’s and 2000’s, but also the atmosphere of these games reminded me of what America used to be like years ago. It was a time to mess around and have fun with friends while hanging out at places like Blockbuster or your town’s local mall.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Metal Slug 2 is the closest thing
good luck guessing where i am from
Mars.

It's been a long time since I played MS, but each stage takes place in a different location and most of the characters are from different countries too. I'm going to guess Saudi Arabia since the first stage of MS2/X is considered one of it's most iconic.

AlmaLi

Smash Rookie
It's interesting to think about games that represent our countries' cultures. For me, games like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey really capture the essence of Greece. Also, there's a growing trend of games from different countries showcasing their culture. By the way, do you guys play games to make money? I'm about to start, so my friend advised me to check out this guide about real cash app games. Thought I'd share!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well most games made in scotland aren't set in scotland. although that indies game Highland Song from last year did alright i guess

Leventisra

Smash Rookie
I'd say there are a few games out there that really nail the vibe of my country. Take Red Dead Redemption 2, for example. It's like a virtual journey through the heart of the USA, with its sprawling landscapes, rich history, and diverse characters. Playing it feels like stepping back in time and experiencing the Wild West firsthand.

Top Bottom