• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video examples of bread-and-butter Ice Climbers combos?

gapw

Smash Cadet
I'm rather new to the character, and I've often heard people say that a simple but effective combo is down throw -> down air -> re grab -> pummel -> blizzard -> throw -> smash, and several other variations of that. But while attempting the basic 'Popo down throws and Nana down airs and Popo regrabs' part of the combo, I was often confused of just what it should look like. I could eventually get the down throw and Nana's down air down well on an unmoving target, but when I attempted the combo with 20XX's CPUs they would often double jump out the combo. This double jump would either prevent Nana's short hop down air from connecting or make me have to wait far too long to regrab.

I was wondering if somebody could either give me a more detailed explanation of this combo (which climber does what, when to input certain things, etc) or link me a gif/video of it. It seems like this would be a good place to start with the Ice Climber's infamous grab game, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4vsfAvT-w
At 10:30 chudat performs the down air chaingrab as a setup to begin wobbling.

To perform the chaingrab you press down to begin a down throw with popo. You then shorthop with nana and down air. The timing is hard to explain but quite simple to get with a little practice. Then as soon as popo is able to move input a dash forward and jump cancel grab.
In order to blizzard while grabbing press A. Popo will pummel and Nana will jab so she finishes first and becomes desynced. Then input down B while popo is still in lag from the pummel.

gapw

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4vsfAvT-w
At 10:30 chudat performs the down air chaingrab as a setup to begin wobbling.

To perform the chaingrab you press down to begin a down throw with popo. You then shorthop with nana and down air. The timing is hard to explain but quite simple to get with a little practice. Then as soon as popo is able to move input a dash forward and jump cancel grab.
In order to blizzard while grabbing press A. Popo will pummel and Nana will jab so she finishes first and becomes desynced. Then input down B while popo is still in lag from the pummel.
What makes the down air so important?

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
The down air has set knockback which means they always go the same distance away regardless of percent. And because the knockback is so low you can very easily get into position to regrab. Also it knocks them out of the tumble animation from which they could tech into a standing position in which they cannot.

Top Bottom