• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video critique

JoeyPlunk

Smash Rookie
What's up luigi boards.

So my friend and I recorded a few matches the other day, and I'd love to get some advice on my game. Any comments good or bad are super appreciated, thanks!

In youtube (sorry, can't post links yet)

/watch?v=9c7AoWzHGDs - (vs Falco)
/watch?v=s3GBLWZDtFI - (vs Falco)
/watch?v=z0e6B8k0R0E - (vs Fox)
/watch?v=un8C9Uh-xN0 - (vs Peach)

For reference, I've been playing melee for a year. Luigi for about 5 months.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Disclaimer: I'm a scrub who's never done anything notable in tournament. I've playing for just over a year, maining Luigi for the vast majority of that time. I have very little actual matchup experience (outside of the Roy matchup and kind of knowing how to combo/edgeguard/tech-chase spacies) so most of this is theorycrafting. I haven't really done in-depth video analysis before. I also tend to focus on the negatives when I analyse things so don't worry if it seems like I'm not saying anything good about your play.

I watched all of the videos at least once; I'll edit this with an in-depth analysis since it'll take a while to do.

In general:
• Your can move well when you want, though in a lot of cases you choose not to move at all.
• Your tech skill seems quite good in general (though I didn't see any shield drops; you should learn that if you haven't already).
• Your edgeguarding looks solid.
• You vary your option choices when you are recovering.
• Your tornado mashing is good.
• You use lightshielding usefully (most people don't even do this at all so you're already better than them).
• You are confident at knocking your opponent off platforms with aerials (jumping up and fairing them offstage, etc.).
• You seem quite confident from the ledge and are aware of what your options are.

• You aren't confident enough in going for punishes; there were lots of times where you missed clear and safe opportunities to punish even when you had lots of time to react.
• Your punishes could be a lot more optimised.
• You don't grab enough.
• You almost never dash-dance.
• You spend too much time unnecessarily standing still.
• You spend too much time in the air where your opponent could punish you.
• You give up stage control too easily.
• You go for attacks which are punishable because the opponent is at too low of a percentage (in many cases not even because they could crouch-cancel, but because they wouldn't ever get sent into tumble). This applies to a lot of moves that you do, but especially the triple jabs the you use a lot.
• You space a lot of aerials either too high up or too far inside the opponent, allowing them to punish you.
• You missed fast-falls to the ledge (after being shined off, etc.) quite frequently.
• You double jump too early in combos when you don't need to do so to reach your opponent; this prevents you from following up properly and wastes your jump if you get hit out.

• Elephante is missing their DI in a lot of cases (especially on combo moves).
• Elephante doesn't seem very comfortable/familiar with edgeguarding Luigi, so you manage to get back when you shouldn't quite often.
• Your capture card seems to record the sound at a slightly lower pitch sometimes and it sounds weird. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

JoeyPlunk

Smash Rookie
Eddy:

- Yeah my grab game is lackluster, somethin to work on!
- Congrats on making the PR, but now I'm coming for ya.
- Kordell's a big boy, dude does what he wants.

Stride:

Thanks for the analysis. I'm seeing many of the things you mentioned, and I think my lack of grabs as punishes has a lot to do with those first main problems you listed. I also gotta work on incorporating more dash dancing, it might help me address the standing still / giving up stage control problems, and is less committal than wavedashes. I do know how to shield drop pretty consistently, but haven't really used it yet in match (will have to watch some Vist for that). Anyway thanks a bunch!

Madcowdesease

Smash Cadet
You had a lot more opportunities to get grabs like other people said, but lemme just tell you a "trick" that abate uses to condition his opponents: He starts off with the sliding backwards grabs when his opponent is in that range, or walks/runs then does the reverse wd-grab, and when people start spotdodging and fullhoping, he does harder punishes. Right now you are trying to hit with a lot of upsmash and fullhop bairs, but your opponent's first reaction will almost always be to shield. You haven't inspired fear into their hearts yet. Always assume your opponents will be dumb until they prove otherwise. I get a lot of mileage off of that alone. Also mix up some of your double aerials to waveland smash attacks/grabs, because again, your opponent is using shield far too effectively against you.

Hope that helps.

Also im pretty sure i played an elephante at big house or kotn3 and wrecked him, are you from the midwest?

Last edited:

JoeyPlunk

Smash Rookie
All of what you said makes sense. So I just have to get in the habit of making grab the first priority, and then let the harder punishes come when they don't feel safe in shield anymore and try to act out, like you mentioned. Right now watching myself it looks like I just have that backwards. Thanks for the input.

Also yes, we're both from the Midwest. I'm from Milwaukee, living in Minneapolis. We both went to KOTN, so perhaps!

Top Bottom