• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique - vs Kage and No. 1 in Ottawa

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Hi everyone, I was looking to get some critique on my matches as I already tried on the General Ice Climbers Chat but may have been missed.

One match against Canada's Kage the Warrior's Ganondorf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HPeF0sp40

and No. 1 on Ottawa's PR, SAUS's Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHK2vwhmBs

Unusually, I had more trouble with the Link matchup with a lot of bomb camping (clearly shown) and I am having difficulty approaching it. A friend and I discussed that reading his jumps to the top platform might be a good idea as well as predicting when Link will pull out bombs. I would like some feedback both positive and negative if possible. Thank you in advance!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
First mistake i noticed is how you take stagecontrol in the opening, against ganondorf stagecontrol is extreemly important since if you corner him he doesnt have any that good options to take it back(ganons like to jump alot from that postions(2.19 for example) since his airials are his more rewarding tools), and ics have a faster jump if i recall correcly so commiting to something(squall, backair, or maybe nair) can often beat his option atleast if he jumps and can possibly lead to lots of damage in positioning).
If he does have stagecontrol well theres the risk of getting faired which ganons tend to throw out while fishing for rolls.
At 1.53 you can just backair the edge to cover the sweetspot while just taking the risk of doing double backair.

1.56 you win the situation with shielding after backair, but if you want to go more technical you can desynch easily with ftilts after the backair(which you might have tried to do, just wanna know if thats the intention?)

Something good you do is almost getting the win without wobbling so you'll be able too keep the fast play and reactions in shape.

Other then that, since its just 1match against ganon, i would recommend practicing with Writing down how many rolls your opponent does when cornered, and which way its done, it might help alot later.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
First mistake i noticed is how you take stagecontrol in the opening, against ganondorf stagecontrol is extreemly important since if you corner him he doesnt have any that good options to take it back(ganons like to jump alot from that postions(2.19 for example) since his airials are his more rewarding tools), and ics have a faster jump if i recall correcly so commiting to something(squall, backair, or maybe nair) can often beat his option atleast if he jumps and can possibly lead to lots of damage in positioning).
If he does have stagecontrol well theres the risk of getting faired which ganons tend to throw out while fishing for rolls.
At 1.53 you can just backair the edge to cover the sweetspot while just taking the risk of doing double backair.

1.56 you win the situation with shielding after backair, but if you want to go more technical you can desynch easily with ftilts after the backair(which you might have tried to do, just wanna know if thats the intention?)

Something good you do is almost getting the win without wobbling so you'll be able too keep the fast play and reactions in shape.

Other then that, since its just 1match against ganon, i would recommend practicing with Writing down how many rolls your opponent does when cornered, and which way its done, it might help alot later.
1:56 Yes I did try to do the turn around Ftilt-Blizzard desynch, but it must have been a technical flub. Thank you for the edgeguarding advice and in general, good advice, you seem to be a very skilled player! If it isn't too much trouble, would you be able to take a look at the Link matchup? (the second posted video) I am not too sure how to deal with the bomb camping.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Thanks for your help, it would be greatly appreciated since there aren't many ICs vs Link matches to observe from youtube!

Top Bottom