• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'll have some videos soon of samus in sd remix if you guys are interested. A few changes that she has, off the top of my head, are faster charge shot travel, better homing on missiles, and samus can grab in the air now (extenderrr too)

:phone:

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Twitch > ustream

You should use xsplit to stream and record locally so you'll have the online archived stream and a local file on your computer

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Oops. Posted in the wrong place....very sorry lol. So samus....how bout that tether recovery... I have absolutely no knowledge of this character. Also been meaning to ask for a YouTube page where I can find SD remix vids, you have?

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
people are just LAZY AS ****.
Prolly not ROM 5 but I might go to "Da Big House" since peeps are givin me 100 dollars just to show up.
ah, yea ppl are ****ing lazy.

$100 just to go to the Big House! u hope you go. if we both end up going, i would be honored if you would four-stock me.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok... well... time to show you guys my stuff. All of these are against the same guy, but he plays Peach, Falco, and Fox:
Video 1 (I suggest muting this, the sound is horrifically desynched)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjE0Ol28vHM&list=UUUQYWjWp2Xi2RLnei34hB3g&index=12&feature=plpp_video
Start off playing preeeeeeeeeeetty crummy
Video 2 (Starts of desynched, but fixes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snvhqhsX4TY&feature=autoplay&list=UUUQYWjWp2Xi2RLnei34hB3g&playnext=1
Better
Video 3 (Don't watch unless you can stand being sea sick. **** yeah Youtube!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dh1VLZNpk&list=UUUQYWjWp2Xi2RLnei34hB3g&index=11&feature=plpp_video
Video 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkXSsWvu7U&list=UUUQYWjWp2Xi2RLnei34hB3g&index=10&feature=plpp_video
Now witness my final form!

So, yeah, tell me what you think.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Stop trying to shield grab as much against spacies. It's just too damn slow and they're too damn fast. I also noticed you missed a lot of grabs against peach.

Geist

Smash Master
Stop trying to shield grab as much against spacies.
Actually
Not claiming that I watched all the video footage (just the last link) but I saw him use shield grab at least once on the strong hit of their fsmash. You actually have a frame advantage here for a grab, so in theory it's totally safe. It just requires that cory gets his timing down a bit faster, ey cory
Grabbing against FFers is a very high risk, very high reward mechanic. You get fox/falco in an uthrow and it's pretty much a free 20/50% depending on how you follow up. considering that samus's gimp game starts to work best right around that mark, you might as well justify that as a potential stock.
Unless you miss and get Usmashed by fox. Not cool.

One thing I saw was that you have a hasty recovery. I fall into this bad habit all the time, so hopefully by telling you not to constantly try to catch them off guard by hitting them with an early screw attack upon recovery, instead of safely sweetspotting and grabbing onto the ledge, it'll reinforce that in my own head and I can stop doing it too.

I'd be slightly more careful with your screw attacks. They work nice to effectively reset the battlefield to zero, but samus doesn't get enough out of them to be used as an offensive spacing game. That's what WD tilts are better used for. I just saw you missing screw attacks, or just barely giving fox/falco a love tap with them. Dangerous stuff man

lol all those missed charge shots :C
remember that uthrow combos into it. You gotta do the sexy little midair turnaround to get them though. It's so clutch.

If I had to nitpick once more, you had some nice spur of the moment edgeguards and decent missileage but I think you should get a bit more consistent and aggressive with them when you're edgeguarding, especially against fox. They're so vulnerable when off stage, it's total advantage samus at that point. Let's see some feet out there. Be really gay

darkatma

Smash Hero
alright, who wants to come the 'ham (violence??!) so i can record sum *****es.

also word of the day from ip man:

"Stop reciting theory and hit me already."

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Actually
Not claiming that I watched all the video footage (just the last link) but I saw him use shield grab at least once on the strong hit of their fsmash. You actually have a frame advantage here for a grab, so in theory it's totally safe.
Could you elaborate? This sounds important.

Uhh technically I think you're closer actually.. hah. Though I don't cross the border much. you're definitely closer to here than you are to Andy ;)

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
http://www.twitch.tv/crismasmash/b/331656790

soo this was a live stream from sunday. i basically used only samus the whole day so theres a bunch of matches here.

any of the falco/falcon vs samus - Knut and G$
peach vs samus - Knut and Crismas (the match with a green peach is G$. it was like his first time using her >_<)
DK vs samus - Knut and Paul
fox vs samus - Knut and Unknown
marth vs samus - Knut and Strife

lemme know what you guys think.

[we do doubles for a while) i hop back on with samus in singles around 2:48]

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
if spacies f-smash your shield, shield grab the **** out of it
Oh gotcha, I usually spam A while in shieldstun to get it out the quickest.

Man... I can't believe my pool at Rule 6 was recorded. I played like assssssssss.

DUCK WAT I DO VS JUGGOGAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7rMI8NX1I T.O. BATTLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRGMx2UxAAA vs the one and only Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ehtWK2e8g Phil taught me how to play, it's not easy for me to do anything against him.
Fresh Samus vids woohooo

Set/Video 1: So far, just simple spacing errors. Did you have a good warmup that day? I also learned something new watching your gameplay which is why I love watching other Sami. When you're below a shielding opponent who's on a platform I notice you jump into their shield immediately bomb and go into an aerial. I think I'll try this next time I play. You're missile spamming is a lot better than mine especially using the platforms while doing so. Tossing a bomb off the edge of the stage to mess up an opponents sweet spot is something new I'll try also. Your jab pressure onto shield could use some work. Falcon's grab range isn't the best, but I think if you're spaced well enough you can do Samus's infinite jab without fear of being grabbed while still putting pressure on his shield. [strike]If you think he might aerial oos then just nair when you'll think he'll jump[/strike](removed because as a Samus main this is too basic lol). But as a Falcon player we have nothing oos :c (unless you're Hax or S2J who can squeeze a uair out frame perfect)so the best he can do is buffer roll. And last thing for this first set is we both utilt too early when an opponent is approaching and get punished for it too often. It's a habit I've been trying to break -____- Pay attention to you're opponents jumps when they approach. If they approach from above they might see you utilt early then double jump and come in after you finish your attack. I've sometimes found up angled ftilt to work better in similar situations.

Set/Video 2: First thing I noticed, YOU BROKE HIS SHIELD. That has got to be one of my favorite things to do with Samus that I haven't done yet...SUPER JELLY. Also, how I feel when playing Ice Climbers:

No one plays Ice Climbers in our area along with Puff. But besides that, sick shield pressure man. Gonna go into my next few matches trying to smash missile followed by a bomb to dair.

Noticed you like to jump immediately after being knocked far off stage after DI-ing correctly. Try to save your jump as best you can. Just another option you have to mixup your recovery when returning to the stage.

Set/Video 3: Man that Fox was all over you game one = / He probably would have 4 stocked me no mercy. Game 2 you had a bit of a break through in his momentum but he was still playing a mean Fox. Well, that was a tough. Reminds me of when I played Eggm first round 2 weeks ago at a local :c I'll let a higher level of authority Samus tackle this set.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
I like uair against falcons. i feel like it can usually get them before they dair. and at certain/lower percents it goes right into dtilt (or dmash probly). also, i try to stay off the platform more against falcon. and i from a platform, i like drop down nair or uair. i just feel like other stuff is too slow against a falcon. i guess a quick waveland off to an aerial is good, but for some reason i always do wavelands at the worst times and get hit.

for edgeguarding, i like to stay on the ground as long as possible. if he gets near the ledge, ftilt or utilt. if he goes high, i try to walk and follow then nair.

Corigames

Smash Hero
OH OH OH I CAN HELP WITH ICs, I play with Wobbles semi-regularly.

Spam ****. Any two-bit IC will get ****ed up by a constant barrage of missiles because Nana can't shield to save her life, literally. If you keep shooting stuff at them from a safe distance (playing keep away and a good game of don't-get-grabbed at the same time), you should be able to mess up Nana and then get an opening on them. The second they are at different %, you can really punish them. One F/Dsmash, Utilt, D/Nair, etc. will send them flying different distances and then you can just poke her off.

Simple:
Step 1- Spam
Step 2- Separate
Step 3- ?????
Step 4- Profit

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
The second they are at different %, you can really punish them. One F/Dsmash, Utilt, D/Nair, etc. will send them flying different distances and then you can just poke her off.
TIL Ice Climbers have different percents respectively. I'm guessing only Popo's is shown?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, Nana and Popo have their own percents. Go into practice mode, spawn a heart, beat up on the ICs until they're at 100%, then have Popo eat the heart (ewww), and punch them both at the same time. Nana will fly and Popo won't.

Muy importante

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Hella yes, some fresh Samus video. Gonna look now.

Very brief description from what I saw at 2:30am:

Fsmash works wonders! Try it some more. Also, use regular missiles when you send a spacie off the stage, especially Falco. Then just utilt them because they more than likely eff'd up their sweetspot after getting hit by that missile.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
Need to be more mobile.
Also simply wavedashing inbetween lasers and shielding puts you in a TERRIBLE position. You have to power shield them, or just hope he messes up and doesn't space on your shield so you can up b.

But yeah move around the map more. You let him walk all over you then you punish him when he slips up.

I guess the hidden moral is that you don't want to rely on him messing up, instead rely on MAKING him mess up.

Violence

Smash Lord
TILTS, BRO, TILTS.

Everytime, you were in the space animal's range, you either did nothing, or dsmashed.

Throw out some tilts, maybe a dsmash or something, he's lasering you, you can't just stay in shield, I don't care how well you can wavedash in and out.

There's more moves to use, you should use them.

Also, yeah, you're kinda stationary for my taste. I don't like that you never once got on a platform to evade lasers.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
TILTS, BRO, TILTS.

Everytime, you were in the space animal's range, you either did nothing, or dsmashed.

Throw out some tilts, maybe a dsmash or something, he's lasering you, you can't just stay in shield, I don't care how well you can wavedash in and out.

There's more moves to use, you should use them.

Also, yeah, you're kinda stationary for my taste. I don't like that you never once got on a platform to evade lasers.
Thank you, irobinhood, plup, and violence. I can't believe I didn't notice that while playing, lol. I was a lot better in my previous videos compared to this one, but I haven't been playing melee much for a few months and when I did play, I didn't really use samus. I guess I need to dedicate more time and effort towards samus =)

abcool

Smash Ace
My Samus buddies. I need some tips with handling this team in doubles. A few questions. How do i DI Falco Upsmash, Fsmash and Downsmash. Second question find the weakness in this Falco/Peach team? Last question am i playing Samus properly in doubles? Anyway, you can give me any sort of advice outside the questions if you want to. http://youtu.be/mqngyuWOHr4

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
lol, i just watched that this past weekend! awesome.

hmmm, samus in doubles. what robinhoood said, dont hit your partner with missiles but u did good at that. maybe more missiles, when you partner is isolated/not in too much danger of getting hit. i feel that samus should be more of an annoyance in doubles. missiles, bombs, and couch canceling can ruin people in doubles because i feel that many people are less cautious about WHEN they attack in doubles. basically, occasionally hitting people and screwing them up so your partner (falcon) can destroy them. overall, i think you played well. u just need to keep falcon alive (no double teams on him). the teams are kinda similiar, one slower, floaty char and one faster char. you just need to be the team that hits peach off occasionally and then makes falco hate his life. i really think its a lot about killing falco. also, i think keeping iso's would be helpful in this matchup. especially if your good against falco. other then what i said before (about samus being an annoyance in doubles) i feel that samus isnt that strong/helpful in a 2v1. so i would try to iso the falco.

idk, i'm not that experienced with doubles but i was just throwing my thoughts out there. hopefully i gave you some ideas or something.

abcool

Smash Ace
Thanks Gunpunch. I am pretty good at the game, but that Falco/Peach team ain't no joke. They slap me away and gang my partner. He tends to rage about Falco pressure a lot so i try to take lead in the matches and Samus can't seem to do that with the type of mobility she has. I asked HugS and basically he said Falcon should lead and kill while i support. I guess we'll have to work on that. I just need to learn how to survive longer. Can someone show me how to DI Falco's Fsmash, Downsmash and bair? Show me the contoller inputs please and thanks. I DI it up and inwards right now, but i heard it was up and away? I need to see the inputs.

Top Bottom