• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

AIDS

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure you can UpB Falcon and not get punished too badly or not at all. I see HugS do it against Falcons once in a while, so it must be pretty good. The only character who I think it shouldnt be used against is probably Ganondorf. He seriously does not move and you get punished afterwards.
maybe your friend DI's out of it? that is odd

well if thats true i guess the falcons are scared or are idiots and dont FF knee, cause its pretty hard to avoid, unless there is a platform right above you.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
maybe your friend DI's out of it? that is odd

well if thats true i guess the falcons are scared or are idiots and dont FF knee, cause its pretty hard to avoid, unless there is a platform right above you.
Well, if HugS makes it work, then it must be pretty good lol..
As for me. I dont do it that often, but when I do it's pretty much 50/50 whether I get hit or not. I only UpB Falcons if Im near an edge so I can grab the ledge or if there are platforms usually, but Ill have my random UpBs every now and then. I dont get punished that hard though.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
lol , hugs makes everything work son lol
it works on most charecters but just not falcon, i would't risk it unless the falcon was a noob
Indeed HugS' Pro Level is over 9000 so logically he can do ANYTHING :_).
And I know what you mean about that Falcon thing. I guess it only works almost perfectly if you're below a platform.
EDIT: Wow AIDS, you just posted on almost every single thread here lol. You are truly outragous.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Indeed HugS' Pro Level is over 9000 so logically he can do ANYTHING :_).
And I know what you mean about that Falcon thing. I guess it only works almost perfectly if you're below a platform.
EDIT: Wow AIDS, you just posted on almost every single thread here lol. You are truly outragous.
lol thank you, yes, i usto like fade away for 2 months and come back and post like 5 times and leave, now i started coming to samus threads a lot, and when i come i attened to try to help out most people here, and i come more often.

[TLT]BloodFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Only things Nova needs to work on is not spending his DJ when he is missling, he does it every so often. That Ganon should have won but he got dayum unlucky and that Ganon was pretty good also, I liked him. Nova is also very aggressive. Its not necessarily a bad thing since he's pretty good at keeping pressure, but if he fights someone one with better priority and who uses a better character, such as, Marth, Spacies, Sheik and Falcon, he wont win with such an aggressive style. I aint a fan of the aggressiveness, but it's interesting seeing it. Overall, he's a dam.n good Samus.
Yup, i like play in very aggressive style, i don't like the "safe style" i have a lot of mistakes, yeah, i'm no perfect xP, sometimes i really play in "safe style", using edge guarding in 100%, or grabs, and mire gay styles xD it's really, reaally funny (sometimes -.-)

Thnx 4 your opinnions guys =)

AIDS

Smash Lord
bloodfalcon, how long have you been playing, your violent game play works very well, i use both for samus, depends what presure im under but people get pissed when i play carefull. but very nice video!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Try UpBing ONLY.. It's fun, but afterwards you feel like a **** O.o.. But its fun and funny :_)..
I did that and I felt exactly that way! You feel like you shouldn't have, but every around you knows you should have, so you did.

AIDS

Smash Lord
that would be the gayest match ever though, samus makes people feel noob when you get up B'd or you grab them lol, lotsa better players feel like crap after that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJkIdHeuQk

Please critique this video for me. I need more experts' opinions. I think one of my problems is that I use smash attacks too much. Thanks in advance.

There are some basic things you can work on that should help you a lot.

Dash dance! Your movements are choppy and easy to read!!! You never try to take control of an area, or space yourself properly against your opponent. You are too direct. Try instead to bait marth to attack, then punish him for his moves. You can dash attack most of marths air attacks, and if he doesn't space right you can CC them. Incorporate wavedashing out of your shield! You roll for some reason...don't! Just wavedash out of your shield or run away...something.

Learn to follow up your missiles better, and how to react to what your opponent is doing. If marth whiffs any arieal you can ftilt him out of the air and then follow up, or dash attack him. Be careful of using bombs to space yourself. Learn how to pivot ftilts. Also, I noticed a few grab opportunities that you didn't take. Grabs can hurt marth, but make sure you get him! Also, don't forget your Up-B out of shield!!!

You really just need to work on your movement. After that, post another video and we will see where you are :).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r6xbsrDbz7g

Okay, unless I need to work on the same things....critique this one. Or just say, "same as above" or something.
Much better pressure and spacing in this video. You still need to dash dance though! And try dash attacking his aireals :). Otherwise, when marth jumps twoards you, stay in your sheild or wavedash away quickly! Then try and punish him in any way possible. You really want marth to be attacking you in this match-up with plenty of room behind you to punish his attacks. It's not easy though.

1st match:

Very good samus ^_^.

Be careful with missiles against falcon, especially on FD. All of his aireals go right through them, and he can get free hits when samus missiles. Usually, it's safer to waveland off of a platform and fast fall a missile so the falcon doesn't have as long to punish you. Granted there are no platforms on FD...be careful :).

Wow, nice shield pressure. Wrong punish though!!!! Nova should of charged his chargeshot, then charged a Dsmash and followed it up with a missile.

Another thing, against falcon you can knock him out of his aireals with a fsmash!!! Nova did great, just pointing out another option :). Also, dash attack isn't useless in this match-up either.

I've only watched the first video so far but from what I can tell Nova definitely knows what he is doing. At some points he could of cooled down some and used his tilts better, but for the most part he generally played correctly. He got punished for some MC's though that samus shouldn't be doing that often against falcon on FD.

2nd match:

The very first thing he does...MC. Why? This is ganondorf. ALL of his moves destroy your missiles. You do not want to be that close and missile against ganon without platforms to increase your speed or cover you up. And when you do shoot missiles against ganondorf, shoot them relativly high while still MCing so that if ganon short hops the missile might hit him. This creates pressure on the ganon and makes him think quicker and prone to more mistakes.

Watching more.

<_<. Recovery wasn't so hot. Looks like nova could of rising grapple canceled there into an attack...Instead he just got edgehogged.

The fair at :40 should of been followed by an uair or sex kick. Ganon won't always be in the position to dtilt after a fair so make sure you pay attention to how he DI's your attack. Another thing, nova just got punished for shffling a nair. He could of avoided this by screw attacking right after the nair. Samus has almost no lag on her aireals and she gains invincibility frames from the up B...so if you think you are going to be sheildgrabbed you might try to up B after an aireal.

Since Ganon is so big, consider sex kick out of shield as well as screw attack.

The dair at 1:26 was not smart at all. Nova could of just run off with a sex kick and killed him.

Nova keeps approaching with full hopped uairs. I don't understand why? >_>. Stop XD.

Overall, Nova seems to have a very good samus. Just work on missiling smarter and making your attacks more useful then flashy.

Edit: woo done with all the videos so far. Mega spree! XD.

Keep the samus discussion that isn't on the videos in the Samus Advice/Questions Topic.

Death

Smash Lord
I'm Death and I made an account a ways back. Anyway, I recorded a match with my Samus against a level 8 Fox (yes I know comps are bad to play against). My friends are coming over tomorrow so i will have "real" videos for you guys to critique. Plus some team battles :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbp4V-ytns

I think I need to use missles more?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm Death and I made an account a ways back. Anyway, I recorded a match with my Samus against a level 8 Fox (yes I know comps are bad to play against). My friends are coming over tomorrow so i will have "real" videos for you guys to critique. Plus some team battles :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbp4V-ytns

I think I need to use missles more?
We cannot critique you against computers unless you are just asking us to watch you show off tech skill. Post a video when you have one against a human :).

Death

Smash Lord
Okay, fair enough. :)
I'll post some tomorrow when people come over. Do you guys critique team battles?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Okay, fair enough. :)
I'll post some tomorrow when people come over. Do you guys critique team battles?
I am actually very good at teams and can critique you if you want.

Singles are better if you are looking to get better at singles though. Teams is a whole different game :).

AIDS

Smash Lord
Yeah im pretty good at teams too, often place 4th, i will help judge when you post videos aswell for a 3rd persons rate...kida like American Idol. lol, so who is gunna be our Simon?

AIDS

Smash Lord
Hey can you guys rate my samus and give me advice on anything I need to improve on?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1moJqpDxF4c
-thanks
you should be posting your matches under the name of UltimateLink, not lite

not so bad, you need a better aproach, always DI away from marth, and be more pationt at the edge for the edge gaurd, missle cancle helps make an opening for a good aproach, also if u wave dash onto the edge, and ledge hop Nair right away, you have invincability frames, that will help your edge gaurd, especally vs marth, also well space up tilts, or F smashes work too.

those are the main things i would work on first, not to bad though.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Hey can you guys rate my samus and give me advice on anything I need to improve on?
-thanks
for starters, as soon as the match began, you dropped on the ground, then shot a missle. you should have either wave landed backwards then shot it, or missle canceled it.

up b is generally used out of sheild. use an nair instead.

missles need general improvement overall. practice missle cancelling, practice PMC, even though its less useful on that stage.

your edgeguarding is good, utilts and dsmashes are good here.

when doing a jab, dont press the 'a' button again, crouch and do another jab immediatly after. either that or do an smash(fsmash or dsmash)

when you charge your neutral b, you dont need to shoot it immediatly. hold it until the opponent is least suspecting. use it for mindgames lol

you need to do more nairs.

try sweetspotting the edge with grapple. also try rising grapple beside stage to an arial.

dash attacks are good, your just abusing them a little too much. instead of dashattacking, do a dash grab, or crouch to cancel the dash. after crouching it opens up many options such as smashes, or a longer grapple.

as aids has said, your approach needs more work. missles are great ;)

Samus Syndrome

Smash Apprentice
-thanks
Yeah, practice missile canceling a lot, it really helps. Nice use of up b in the beginning, you should definitely use it more. Don't roll, I know it happens sometimes accidentally when trying to wavedash but it's really bad, try not to do it, ever. Your use of dash attack was actually really good but don't overuse it because it makes you very predictable. Practice teching too, you often fell flat on your face without teching, not very good. Instead of up throwing at 2.00, a down throw probably would have been better because he would have been low enough to hit with a follow up attack.

Great edgegaurd at 1.31 nice finish.

Very good and good luck.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
-thanks
Here is what I think you should work on:
- Do not dash attack that often. You did it A LOT. Also, I dont think dash attack is even worth it when you opponent is on the ground. That Marth should have been smart and just shield grabbed you every time. It's predictable and bad IMO.
- Missle cancel. Samus needs to do this. Those standing missles are BAD BAD BAD.
This is all that really stuck out to me. Other than this, you need to play better people. That Marth was pretty bad. He didnt attack enough and got hit with A LOT of missles that he shouldnt have been hit with.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like the sig there Syndrome.

And I'm glad to see this thread finally being used. Thanks posters and critics.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJ4B4mlJi78 vs Ragnarock (Fox)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pn6J07XAFkY vs Chad (Fox)

Those two actually happened within like 10 minutes of each other, they're from the loser's semis and loser's finals from the same tournament. The first is vs a technically sound but kinda inexperienced Fox who doesn't get a lot of Samus practice. The second is vs one of my crewmates, who obviously has a lot more Samus experience, as well as being just a much better player overall.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q4yOGysPTkA vs MookieRah (Marth)
Also from the same tournament.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
ok. Here is my Samus video against my friend's Falco. I think I did well this time? :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTzoJTDH3jI

Another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKXi8QoksE
first video:
try a little less use of usmash. after doing a MC, shooting another missle is fine, just dont always do it. Run up/wavedash and attack immediatly following the missle cancel, wether it be smash, ariel, tilt or grapple.
dont use the grapple in the air as an attack.
practice your edgehopped ariels a little bit
crouch cancel, wether it be for absorbing an enemy attack, or cancelling the ending dash animation.
over all, a very good samus. FoD is hard for samus players being that there is little room for missle spam, and the walls are close, destroying the good use of samus's incredible recovery. and you almost made that FoD recovery ;)

second video:
LOL at the first ko. niiice
up b out of shield; dont use your grapple, especially when they are close.
try to sweetspot the edge with up b. you got the grapple recovery down, as seen by the first ko :)
when recovering, drop down, then bomb recovery. samus's recovery is good enough to sacrifice a bit of distance.
try not to do ariel dodges, unless you are close to the ground.
near the end, you should have been using more fsmash and dsmashes, falco was at high percent, and would have made an easy kill. even if the wall didnt get him, you still have the oppertunity to edgeguard falco.
you have a very good samus :), your grapple sweetspoting is impressive, alot better than mine XD

practive PMC, even though on those stages its difficult. dreamland you have to double jump, and time the second jump just right. as for FoD, you just need to eyeball it ;)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sorry for the double post. For some reason smashboards would not save my edit :(.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Here I go again with my mass critiquing.

-thanks

First things first. Nice music :).

You started off pretty well, but if marth is approaching you that fast in the beginning then you need to shield >_>. Also, when you dash attacked, you could of dash canceled a fsmash or ftilt or something and it probably would have been better. And when you edgeguard marth you can shoot a standing homing missile then run off with a nair and it almost always kills them. If they are below you then ledgehop a nair.

Only approach with dash attack if you think marth is going to do an aireal. You were dash attacking when marth was just standing there...he could of done anything to punish you easily.

... Again with the dash attacks :(. And you got shieldgrabbed this time.

When you dash attacked twice into a nair at around 1:25 you tried to jump and hit marth with another nair...if you would have just naired again without jumping then you would of gotten him :). And don't use dash attack to edgeguard.

You missed an easy grapple recovery near the end of the video :(.

Basically here are the things your samus needs to work on:

Spacing
Not using dash attack that much and using it in different situations.
Your shield pressure game. (Jabs and tilts)
Edgeguarding(You did ok, but only because the marth wasn't that good. You could of done smarter things)
Dash canceling.

I want you to go play 1 day without using the dash attack. At all. For anything. Learn what you can do instead, and figure out ways to space yourself properly with your wavedash's. Dash attack isn't a bad move, it can be used to knock marth out of his air attacks, but you definitely need to find new things to do. You are too predictable. Try out new things and see how they work :).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJ4B4mlJi78 vs Ragnarock (Fox)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pn6J07XAFkY vs Chad (Fox)

Those two actually happened within like 10 minutes of each other, they're from the loser's semis and loser's finals from the same tournament. The first is vs a technically sound but kinda inexperienced Fox who doesn't get a lot of Samus practice. The second is vs one of my crewmates, who obviously has a lot more Samus experience, as well as being just a much better player overall.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q4yOGysPTkA vs MookieRah (Marth)
Also from the same tournament.

1st Match:

In the very beginning you could of followed your smash missile, and daired him since he reflected it. Just a thought.

Ok, you noticed he likes to spam upsmash. Good :).

Hahaha I liked the extender grab. I'm sure you noticed but you jumped past rag and missed lol. You could of turn around charged shot and it still would have worked though! And I bet you anything he would of DI'ed it horribly.

You did fine this match..not much you would of worked on XD.

2nd Match:

I liked the Dsmash's to tech chase with..but maybe try to dtilt? You can combo from it into several things. Just a suggestion.

You make really good use of your wavedash's. I need to be more effective like that XD. And wow at 1:24is you chased him onto a platform then dsmashed. Brilliant :). Gotta hate those shine spikes though. I like recovering above on stages I cant grapple low onto the wall against fox's. I just feel safer even though samus dies off the top easily you can bomb to interrupt their attacks.

I have seen you full hop fairs a few times now. Why? I'm not sure whats going on in your head XD. It seems like if you shffl them, you would be punished less.

Nice edgeguard at 3:08.

What were you thinking a 3:20? Standing chargeshot against a fox...when he is far away from you? Ew. XD.

This fox is a lot better, but I think you would have done better if you would of stayed in your shield more. You have good movement and use it well, but sometimes the fox would throw out attacks that could of been screw attacked out of your shield easily. The full hopped fairs weren't working for you either >_>. Another thing you could of done, is use the platforms a little better. Running away from fox then jumping and platform dashing off and fast falling a bair or nair will take a lot of people by surprise. It's hard to punish because of samus's lack of lag, and not near as slow as shffling.

3rd Match:

Wow. That is a tall T.V.

SWD in tournament match usually = bad. >_>.

Hmmm I don't have much advice for you on this one. You did great. Try ledgehopping nairs against marth though >_>. Spikes them into the top of the side of battlefield.

ok. Here is my Samus video against my friend's Falco. I think I did well this time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTzoJTDH3jI

Another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKXi8QoksE
Ok, well...I watched both of the videos..and I was going to critique them apart but I don't really need to. You have a TON of things you need to work on. And that falco player was absolutely horrible...you could do pretty much whatever you wanted and still beat him. So it's hard to give you advice against someone when anything would work. So I will just give you some general advice :).

Things you need to work on:
Advanced tactics. You looked really sloppy >_>.
Missile spamming.
Movement.
Edgeguarding.
Recovering.

I saw you just use moves...just to use them. Whenever you were playing it seemed that you didn't really have a strategy...or method of attacking or defending..you just kinda tried to hit him. You also just randomly wavedashed when it wasn't useful at all. Watch videos of some good samus players and see how they move. You need to make your movements and attacks useful, not random.

Against falco, it's good to stay at close to mid range. If you get far away he will(should) laser spam you to death. You do not want this. You want to be at the distance so that if he lasers he will be nervous of you moving in and hitting him after you shield. You need to punish falco for EVERYTHING. Screw attack out of your shield is your best friend. Shut down his approach's and edgeguard him well. Do anything you can to get falco off of the stage quickly..he has horrible recovery and samus's edgeguarding is perfect for killing him at any %. Use utilt or your sex kick to edgeguard. You can up throw to charge shot falco at almost any damage. At 0% you need to Short hop!!! Higher %'s you full jump. Make sure and use platforms to your advantage!!! You can move across the stage quickly by platform dashing and catch falco often with fast falled attacks off the platforms.

Practice more and watch a lot of samus videos and you should get a LOT better :).

Whew done.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
lololololol Here are some of my newyears videos.

It was mostly just some laid back playing with some messing around, you really don't have to critique them. I just kinda wanted to post them somewhere, but you can if you want, I can't stop you.

Lanowen(SAM) vs L.Wolf(PCH) - FD - b1
Lanowen(SAM) vs L.Wolf(PCH) - FoD - b2

I get owned in these
I.B(MTH) vs Lanowen(SAM) - PS - c1
I.B(MTH) vs Lanowen(SAM) - FD - c2

Lanowen(SAM) vs coolhat(LUI) - YS - f1
Lanowen(SAM) vs coolhat(LUI) - PS - f2

Lanowen(SAM) vs L.Wolf(PCH) - BF - h1 - Crazy turnip catch in here from close distance somewhere
Lanowen(SAM) vs L.Wolf(PCH) - BrinS - h2
Lanowen(SAM) vs L.Wolf(PCH) - FoD - h3

I.B(MTH) vs Lanowen(SAM) - DL - j1
I.B(MTH) vs Lanowen(SAM) - PS - j2
I.B(MTH) vs Lanowen(SAM) - FD - j3

Lanowen(SAM) vs coolhat(LUI) - YS - k1
Lanowen(SAM) vs coolhat(LUI) - KJ - k2
Lanowen(SAM) vs coolhat(LUI) - FD - k3

Lol, you can see sometimes just stupid stuff happen, you just kinda needed to be there; we didn't get teh real stuffs on tape :'(

Mars-

Smash Champion
Okay, I watched the one of you vs that marth on PS.

You got spiked and died, you will want to avoid that if you are going to get better. Then the next life you had him on the edge and started charging up a up smash, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Then you got hit with a forward smash when you were hanging on the edge, you generally don't want to get hit by forward smashes when you are vsing marth. And then you got spiked, AGAIN. Then you charged up your charged shot, and didn't shot it till like 10 seconds later, BLAST HIM IN THE FACE. And finally, you missed your grapple on the last life.

Your samus is disgusting, go back to school.

EDIT: I just felt like putting this here because I know somebody is going to take me seriously, this is a joke.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
the falco is pretty bad, no shffls, no shorthopped lasers, no shine combos. besides these arent the falco boards, so the advice i can give is pretty slim.

platform missle cancel. on battle feild you have to double jump however.
sweetspot the edge with up b, and use the grapple to recover, sweetspot witht that as well
need more sheild and/or crouchcanceled dsmashes. sheild to up b or nair is recommended.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I am going to post a vid here as soon as I have one. Nova (being the only one I've watched so far) makes me think I have a really bad samus.
Nova looks very pretty cause he is technical, but a less cool looking samus like...wes can be better then him, Hylian also has a very pretty samus now, but i still see him making mistakes, do not be judge mental until you post and responces from sevral people, then you will know the honest results of how ur samus is coming along, take advice we give out on these forums and try to use it, there is a lot of good information on the smash world forums, anyway we are looking forword to your video post, i will rate it when you post it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nova looks very pretty cause he is technical, but a less cool looking samus like...wes can be better then him, Hylian also has a very pretty samus now, but i still see him making mistakes, do not be judge mental until you post and responces from sevral people, then you will know the honest results of how ur samus is coming along, take advice we give out on these forums and try to use it, there is a lot of good information on the Smash World Forums, anyway we are looking forword to your video post, i will rate it when you post it.
I will have some new videos of my samus up soon :).

AIDS

Smash Lord
I will have some new videos of my samus up soon :).
good to here bud, i hope to see your videos especally, you are a more technical then me in a lot fo areas lol, your samus is more fun to watch, i play a samus that waits and abuses lol, my samus style is much hated:chuckle: it is kinda like you are kizzu's marth and im more of M2K wait for gay kill and rarly abusive lol

but be sure to tell me when it is up...or i will just look for a thread on the samus section with my post not most recent. lol

Top Bottom