• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Video Arkive & Critique Thread ~Updating in progress 45 chars done~

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Genix :4link: vs Gumba :4sonic: (3/7/15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b73pgkrsFA
Losers Finals (Poolmatch) - StepOne Online Tournament (Commentary in german)

Feedback is greatly appreciated!
I've only had time to watch the first match and it's fun to watch you play. I felt like you moved much better in the 1st 2 stocks of the match, and then towards the end you started standing in place a lot more and started fishing for the kill. Those are my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
All right, thanks to Foxy and Shaya the opening post now works again (it has been separated into three posts). It's all updated.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Link is using a normal boomerang (custom moves) in HoS - Smash 4 Singles LQF - Afro vs Hudet FYI. I personally think it'd be nice to mark that on the video (since I don't believe we have very many videos with customs on).

Also the Mario he plays seems to be standard, but the villager has 3 customs (at least). Timber Counter, Pushy Lloid and Extreme Balloon Trip (he never uses pocket in the match to know whether that was custom or not).

Pushy Lloid really seems to block all of Link's projectiles really well =/

Genix :4link: vs Gumba :4sonic: (3/7/15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b73pgkrsFA
Losers Finals (Poolmatch) - StepOne Online Tournament (Commentary in german)

Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Also Genix, you're using the soft bomb throws. Yay =). Also, I noticed a weak Nair to Jab? Interesting.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Link is using a normal boomerang (custom moves) in HoS - Smash 4 Singles LQF - Afro vs Hudet FYI. I personally think it'd be nice to mark that on the video (since I don't believe we have very many videos with customs on).
Only a 3DS online tournament video besides that -- I'll think about the most effective way to indicate the customs.

Anyhow, here's a neat set:
Firewire :4link:vs DKWill:4sheik:/:4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_vy-e3kaw

Firewire getting destroyed by Will's Sheik (who can blame him?) and then doing very well against his DK. It's good to have him among our ranks; if he keeps attending tournaments like that regularly he'll be really fine player in no time. He's already improved massively since the last footage we have of him.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Hello guys, sorry to bother but... Could anyone pleass see the matches I posted (pag 10. in the last section of the comments) and let me know what am I doing wrong? I have a tournament this weekend and I'll have to face that FOX again for sure, hahaha. Thanks for your help :)

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hello guys, sorry to bother but... Could anyone pleass see the matches I posted (pag 10. in the last section of the comments) and let me know what am I doing wrong? I have a tournament this weekend and I'll have to face that FOX again for sure, hahaha. Thanks for your help :)
Ok, just watched your 3 vids and I noticed that you have 3 consistent deficiencies.

1. You don't use nair. Everytime you suspect Fox may do a phantasm (sideB) do nair. nair cancels Fox and falcos sideB and hits them fully. Don't try to challenge it with a rang, just put a nair when they're off stage and you will retain stage dominance.

2. Stop trying to throw boomerangs at close range, you will get punished everytime vs Fox due to his speed. in fact, try to rely more on your sword in general.

3. Your ledgegame is weak. You always recover the same and get back ont he stage the same, with a ledgehop fair. You even did it when he was across the stage. This makes you too predictable. Mix it up, roll back on stage, jump, ledgeop zair, getup attack or just get up. mix it up and keep him guessing.

4. I lied about only three. Use soft throws more. It'll help you with stage control vs rush down chars like Fox.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Sure! I just went through them with Elessar and Hugglez, and here's what I got out of it. For some match-up specific advice, I would recommend you try and punish his Side B with Nair. Now where his hurtboxes are -- see this:

Anyways, back on topic. I've been testing some things with Fox recently while working on my guide over there and I discovered that I was mistaken about his Illusion. As it turns out, he doesn't have intangibility or invincibility or anything like that on Illusion. He simply moves so fast that he creates the illusion (see what I did there?) that he has intangibility. As you can see from the image below, on frame 21 Fox moves a considerable distance. This creates what I'm calling a "dead zone" that Fox's hurtbox never touches. So any hitbox in that area between frames 20 and 21 won't hit Fox because he essentially teleports right past it.

You are doing reasonably well for an MU this difficult, but you could really reduce your punishable actions. Be careful with the incredibly punishable boomerang -- Fox can be in your face in a matter of seconds and a shielded boomerang throw means another grab. You are grabbing way too often yourself -- it works game 1 but starting game 2 they keep missing and you get punished for it big time.

That, and you *always* seem to recover the same, and then to *always* ledgehop fair, which is incredibly dangerous. Ledgehops don't have any invincibility anymore, so you can get hit by a Smash straight in the face for a kill at 80 percent. (That's how he killed you game 1.) Mix up your ledge-game a lot. Remember normal get-up is very good in this game, as is jumping; and rolls and ledge attacks are effective mix-ups.

You could use a little more Zair (which is not too great against Fox, but a fine tool nevertheless); and you never use soft bomb throws, which is a shame because they are great and effective against Fox. Bombsliding could help your game a lot too.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Only a 3DS online tournament video besides that -- I'll think about the most effective way to indicate the customs.

Anyhow, here's a neat set:
Firewire :4link:vs DKWill:4sheik:/:4dk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_vy-e3kaw

Firewire getting destroyed by Will's Sheik (who can blame him?) and then doing very well against his DK. It's good to have him among our ranks; if he keeps attending tournaments like that regularly he'll be really fine player in no time. He's already improved massively since the last footage we have of him.
For what it's worth, FireWire doesn't look like a good Link at all. He was very predictable with his rolls and always did the slow forwards roll =(. Personally until later in the 2nd match, he was playing pretty terribly. He doesn't use any of Link's aerials at all (ooh I saw a single BackAir). Maybe he'll get a bunch better, but I feel like I could beat him in a match right now, and I'm not that good.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
For what it's worth, FireWire doesn't look like a good Link at all. He was very predictable with his rolls and always did the slow forwards roll =(. Personally until later in the 2nd match, he was playing pretty terribly. He doesn't use any of Link's aerials at all (ooh I saw a single BackAir). Maybe he'll get a bunch better, but I feel like I could beat him in a match right now, and I'm not that good.
True, but it's good to see a man sticking with Link and trying his best. As I said, he is improving fast -- if he keeps attending similar tournaments he'll be a solid player soon. It appears he attends a lot of tournaments in that very active region of his, so I'm sure he'll get there. That nasty rolling habit should be the first thing to go though!

Also, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mqgGfPU-o
Hungrybox three-stocking a bad Link.. twice.. in less than four minutes..

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
True, but it's good to see a man sticking with Link and trying his best. As I said, he is improving fast -- if he keeps attending similar tournaments he'll be a solid player soon. It appears he attends a lot of tournaments in that very active region of his, so I'm sure he'll get there. That nasty rolling habit should be the first thing to go though!

Also, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mqgGfPU-o
Hungrybox three-stocking a bad Link.. twice.. in less than four minutes..
Yeh I learned not to roll from Elessar =). I was more backrolling back then and a little less predictable. Yeesh, yeh that is a bad Link. He only used the jab, rolls and his boomerang/bow right? and I guess the spin attack super poorly? Well, this makes me feel better about entering a tourney at some point lol.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
These are a month old, so I'm not sure if they were posted or mentioned yet; Eliwood's Link vs. Ethan's Greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI6ivcyFFU.

vs. BlackLuck's Bowser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8lKDV19cU.

vs. Yoyod's ZSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyz5XZrgnc.

vs. Kesa's Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaCSJVU4nkI.

vs. Genius's Marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-RcP8euCEY.

Sora's Link and Mario vs. Kesa's Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNp6K9SSydA.

ScizorVX

Smash Apprentice
http://www.twitch.tv/royalapplz1/b/640316046
Scizor vs. Perfect_Edge (R.O.B.) starts at 2:06:45

Scizor vs. OrochiWolf (Sonic) starts at 3:17:46

Scizor vs. S2H (Meta Knight) starts at 3:52:48 (game 3 i went greninja L: )

i can rarely get my sets up anywhere lol, this is a tourney i attended yesterday got a couple matches on stream also ended up placing 5/47 not to bad imo, excuse the bad quality but these are some solid link gameplay vids compared to what's out right now

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
These are a month old, so I'm not sure if they were posted or mentioned yet;
Thanks a lot for those! I never found them as they are labeled "SSB4" and not Smash Wii U/4.

http://www.twitch.tv/royalapplz1/b/640316046
Scizor vs. Perfect_Edge (R.O.B.) starts at 2:06:45

Scizor vs. OrochiWolf (Sonic) starts at 3:17:46

Scizor vs. S2H (Meta Knight) starts at 3:52:48 (game 3 i went greninja L: )

i can rarely get my sets up anywhere lol, this is a tourney i attended yesterday got a couple matches on stream also ended up placing 5/47 not to bad imo, excuse the bad quality but these are some solid link gameplay vids compared to what's out right now
Good stuff Scizor, very good to have those! Happy to add them, and we hope to see more of you.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Volcanic, you can directly link to a twitch stream at a particular time by just right clicking the video itself once you've got the right time.

Here's Scizor vs. that ROB for example: http://www.twitch.tv/royalapplz1/b/640316046?t=2h06m21s
Thanks for the info, I will change the links.

I also added a hidden Youtube version of the game against R.O.B. that is a viable alternative for those whose computer tends to crash from Twitch, like mine..Unfortunately the stream is too long to download, so the video is a little crude -- so be it.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Brush up on your Japanese and listen to aruth1218 play as Link: [1], [2], and [3]. While these don't have commentary, [1], [2], and [3]

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Brush up on your Japanese and listen to aruth1218 play as Link: [1], [2], and [3]. While these don't have commentary, [1], [2], and [3]
You know Ffamran, I have seen you contributing a lot of videos, and I'm extremely grateful for it. However, I can't but wonder if you secretly Harbor an ardent desire to play/main Link.

In fact, I'll just assume you, about people do. Come on, join us...we got cookies and tears. They are delicious.

Also, seriously, thanks for the contribution.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You know Ffamran, I have seen you contributing a lot of videos, and I'm extremely grateful for it. However, I can't but wonder if you secretly Harbor an ardent desire to play/main Link.

In fact, I'll just assume you, about people do. Come on, join us...we got cookies and tears. They are delicious.

Also, seriously, thanks for the contribution.
I link videos to everywhere. :p

Especially boards with not a lot of activity or not a lot of videos there like Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Charizard, etc. It helps to watch others play and see how they work.

Edit: Sine Language's Link vs. Rupee's Villager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjVDe_fS-c.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Hey guys, check out my Link and leave your tips and feedback for me.
Finally, Link is good!

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
I know it's old already, but here's what I take away from it:

• Don't Nair into opponents -- you got shieldgrabbed for it often.
  • Teching Sonics down throw is usually the best option if you DI it down
  • Your usage of boomerang is too clunky and telegraphed. More bombs, less boomerangs. You long-distance game is currently very clunky: bombs are far more versatile. (You pick up with this after game three -- keep at it)
  • The first thing you do after doing anything punishable is roll away. Any good player will call you out and punish you all the easier for it. You constantly approach with Nair, then roll back if it doesn't connect -- your opponent can just dash and grab. If Nair hits shield, you roll away. If your Fsmash whiffs, you roll away. If your grab fails, you roll away. Consider shielding or jumping away or initiating a new attack based on what you think you opponent will do.
  • Don't roll away from the edge constantly -- it is a really predictable habit that can get you killed very early.
  • You shoot an arrow after using the boomerang too often, even when it has no chance of connecting. That leaves you vulnerable for a really long time.
  • Most of your grabs miss -- be more careful with them
In general, less rolling, and more variation in your approaches and reactions. Nair is good but not that good -- if you want to space an aerial why not go for Zair once?

This one: --
Doesn't work at that timeframe, for some reason.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker

• Don't Nair into opponents -- you got shieldgrabbed for it often.
  • Teching Sonics down throw is usually the best option if you DI it down
  • Your usage of boomerang is too clunky and telegraphed. More bombs, less boomerangs. You long-distance game is currently very clunky: bombs are far more versatile. (You pick up with this after game three -- keep at it)
  • The first thing you do after doing anything punishable is roll away. Any good player will call you out and punish you all the easier for it. You constantly approach with Nair, then roll back if it doesn't connect -- your opponent can just dash and grab. If Nair hits shield, you roll away. If your Fsmash whiffs, you roll away. If your grab fails, you roll away. Consider shielding or jumping away or initiating a new attack based on what you think you opponent will do.
  • Don't roll away from the edge constantly -- it is a really predictable habit that can get you killed very early.
  • You shoot an arrow after using the boomerang too often, even when it has no chance of connecting. That leaves you vulnerable for a really long time.
  • Most of your grabs miss -- be more careful with them
In general, less rolling, and more variation in your approaches and reactions. Nair is good but not that good -- if you want to space an aerial why not go for Zair once?
Yeah, I joined the sonic boards' skype group and practiced with them a while.
They beat the ******** rolling habit out of me, among other things.
When I go back to look at those matches, I cringe hard.
I've still got a lot of room for improvement though, so thanks for the advice and tips, I really appreciate it.

This one: --

Doesn't work at that timeframe, for some reason.
Oh god, what the hell, that was working earlier. I have no idea what happened to it.
I can't even get it to load by going to the normal url and going to the time.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I joined the sonic boards' skype group and practiced with them a while.
They beat the ******** rolling habit out of me, among other things.
When I go back to look at those matches, I cringe hard.
I've still got a lot of room for improvement though, so thanks for the advice and tips, I really appreciate it.

Oh god, what the hell, that was working earlier. I have no idea what happened to it.
I can't even get it to load by going to the normal url and going to the time.
Got a very aggressive Link on a recent weekly from Smash @ Xanadu (VGBootcamp).

Villager (Rupee) vs. Link (Sine Language)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjVDe_fS-c

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sqiddwr demonstrates how to play the Rosalina MU (he camped so hard the Rosa forfeit, LOL): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dot4DhAPtM
That was a damn painful match to watch. I dislike extremely how he played since it doesn't improve the meta nor teach how to play those MUs. Sorry DF, but that Rosa was horrible. That kid was a horrible player who has no idea how to approach Link nor deal with spam. This match, imo, doesn't showcase that Link's skills since all he did was ride the platform as he, statically, chucked bombs. There's nothing to be learned from it and you know this.

That Rosa/Palu player was just all kinds of bad.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I don't think it was a serious recommendation. It was just funny.
I was teaching grammar, so subtleties of language eluded me and I took it all seriously. Plus, at least some of the more dense users will at least not mistake him for being serious or this representing good MU play.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
He didn't use any of the important ATs in this MU (Arrowlock SetUps ,Jablock/jabcancels , softhrow) although he had the chance to.
I disagree with his custom choice. Meteor makes it easier to control stage , especially against faster charakters since it is faster and more versatile than soft throwing. Also Fox is one of the Chars that are easier to hit with meteor bombs offstage.

I guess he was trying to play safe and not get punished , but you can't simply throw out nairs or other moves. You have to react to or read the appraoches , if you randomly throw out moves to "zone" you gonna get punished all the time like you saw it in this match.
You have to be patient and act thoughtfull in order to make yourself safe.

I liked how he used JCT to create a bit of space when throwing a bomb though.

He got 1 edgeguard in the game that he messed up. If you choose bumerang , you gotter get your angle right and aim properly.
But choosing bumerang in that situation is what i disagree with already.
Arrows would have been way better if he chose projectiles because they are the safest edgeguarding option. The angle of arrows was fitting the situation so you gotta use them instead of the bumerang , since they are faster overall and send your opponent lower so it is better for gimping/edgeguarding.
Also he could have jumped in and naired instead of throwing a projectile , so he can follow him if he goes low.
Or even try a dair spike , assuming the side b.
PS: i am getting some matches of myself in here so you can help me improving too.

EDIT:
A little older but critique/advise on that one would be great.
Critique on the second set is ofcourse also appreciated, However I think I partly showed good stuff that you can do with Link and eventually showing the MU even though it is online? Opinions wether this has any value for us as a reference?
(sorry if the german commentating is annoying. Don't land into WFT @kill% upsmash>all aerials :( )

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Any thoughts on the non-joke tourney match I posted?

Also NorCal Regionals had at least 1 person play Link against a Fox (1st match before he switches to Sheik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chz-PO0tPiA&index=7&list=PL5n6M_nMn9OM-upvrNr-CBU6heOR510rs

Another from NorCal Regionals:
Soulimar (Olimar) vs. Soronie (Link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5djHBsN72g&index=23&list=PL5n6M_nMn9OM-upvrNr-CBU6heOR510rs
Yeah I saw those. First one was a little sad -- Fox MU played well is extremely difficult for Link, and how well he did with Sheik shows that.

I've added Sabacca's match against Wii Fit Trainer -- I can't see the other one yet because Twitch kills my pc.

Incidentally, I asked StaticManny and he said he'd get some more matches recorded for us. (He doesn't use Link in tournament anymore lately cause of the Sheiks and Diddy's, but he's planning to.)

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
It was quite entertaining watching your match Sabaca =). I'm excited to see how you improve over time.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Staticmanny's region doesn't record much currently but he's planning to change that, so hopefully there will be a lot more in the future. For now, here are three FG matches he recorded for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jstUywZx42s

They're neat in so far as you see his very patient game (you can see it in his match gainst Trix too): lots of careful baiting and excellent use of the pivoted Ftilt. 'Hope to see him in action against better opponents again!

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Btw, it's really nice to see some really nice Link play the past 2 videos =). For one, people are actually using FTilt (which I felt was underused before).

Also some feedback for Sabaca. I feel like your projectile game ironically is a bit weak (otherwise I feel the spammy WFT you played would've been murdered), but your CQC is on-point.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
Also, can i have some critique for the video that i post ? Would be cool :) .

Top Bottom