• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Video Arkive & Critique Thread ~Updating in progress 45 chars done~

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Lol your attempt at trolling makes me laugh. You might have actually fit in here if you weren't so bad at it. I hope you've enjoyed your social interaction for the year. Have a nice life.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You're lucky @ Elessar Elessar isn't around or he would've infracted your butt by now.
Guess his luck ran out. He got warned and infracted for spamming and double and triple posting.

@ Baeklays Baeklays Do yourself a favor and don't post again until you've read and understood the rules. We like our boards clean and you're just soiling yourself all over our carpet. Don't double or triple or cuádruple post again, and don't derail threads. This is for posting and critiquing replays, not to talk about month old ATs.

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
Hey everyone!

here's a couple of online friendlies I did against a great shulk (for my level). Any advice would be appreciated!

from January 1st 2015

Goulmania (link) vs Ice (Shulk)
Goulmania (link) vs Ice (Shulk)

@ Epok Epok

I just watched your matches, 1st thing I'd like to point out is the boomerang is the most versatile projectile in term of range and directions it can be thrown yet you constantly throw it straight forward, I would have liked to see some floor bounces and diagonal throws!

2nd when you pull out a bomb don't be afraid to mixe it up and throw a boomerang with your bomb still in hand then throw the bomb, messes with your opponent!

3rd you use the bow way too much when they're close it's really unsafe even on hit at low % (Maybe it was a mistake due to lag but I thought I'd mention it anyways)

4th I loved the bomb drop to space yourself, that was good stuff. ( I should implement that in my own game!)

5th you're spacing game could use more Zair and fast fall Fair (just so the 1st hit connects)

6th Bow should be used more sparringly it's really laggy and bombs+boomerang is a better option most of the time sometimes I use it so that the arrow passes through the explosion of a bomb, that creates good cover for it.

:4link:critic mode ended:4link:

Hope I helped a little ggwp!

Last edited:

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
I know 4v4 battles are a disputed matter in the competive scene but personally I love it. Link is a pretty fearsome character in squad battles. His heavy weight on larger stages makes him much harder to kill plus he's one of the best zoning characters and has amazing upper stage control.

A few weeks ago I entered squads in tournament and it was probably the most fun I've had at a tourney. My team did well and gives me competitive advantage bc I'm notorious for talking mad trash mid tourney match which draws crowds and intimidates other players.

So did squads with members of my crew called the Dynasty, a group of smash players I founded back in 2008 which you can only join by playing very flashy and janky.

My team consisted of myself, BrimeZ; YOLO Link player extraodinaire
Officer Jenny; the queen of smash, notorious sandbagger and arguably the top ZSS player in the nation
Odon; the jankasorous rex and one of the top 10 falcon from Virginia to NY.
Duelist; New player and the newest member of the dynasty, master of a multitude of characters

Here's the match we had on stream
http://youtu.be/qXeGEZkwh3c

We got bodied lol. Even though they had Pink fresh, Coney, Tk breezy and aposlI thought we were going to destroy them. We were winning both matches at first, and then I was like" where all my people go?" lol

Anyway the point of this post was that as link players we should start discussing how we can develope the link metagame in 4v4

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Hello and good afternoon. It's been a long time since I post here. I was hoping you guys could help me to critisize my video so I can improve the way I play in a competitive way. Today I will post 3 videos (If I am not allow to post more that one I'm sorry, I did not know that). Thanks for your time, and patience viewing them. Thanks.

- 1v1
- Offline Fiendlies played on january 7, 2015
- Chuck (me) vs Sonny (David, a friend of mine)
- Vid #1: http://youtu.be/F5j5m5ed-Lw (Againts Shulk)
- Vid #2: http://youtu.be/9sH8YlA0iKI (Againts Shulk)
- Vid #3: http://youtu.be/xOANv1eFSh0 (Againts Robin)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I know 4v4 battles are a disputed matter in the competive scene but personally I love it.
I really like doubles and larger teams: they capture something of the mess of casual smash.

Today I will post 3 videos (If I am not allow to post more that one I'm sorry, I did not know that).
No problem, as long as people don't post 30 videos at a time you can post as many as you want.

Cronowolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3059-1564
Hello and good afternoon. It's been a long time since I post here. I was hoping you guys could help me to critisize my video so I can improve the way I play in a competitive way. Today I will post 3 videos (If I am not allow to post more that one I'm sorry, I did not know that). Thanks for your time, and patience viewing them. Thanks.

- 1v1
- Offline Fiendlies played on january 7, 2015
- Chuck (me) vs Sonny (David, a friend of mine)
- Vid #1: http://youtu.be/F5j5m5ed-Lw (Againts Shulk)
- Vid #2: http://youtu.be/9sH8YlA0iKI (Againts Shulk)
- Vid #3: http://youtu.be/xOANv1eFSh0 (Againts Robin)
Nice mechanics.

Against Shulk have you tried more zair while holding a bomb? This is excellent for zoning and I never see you do it. It is especially good vs characters that dont have projectiles, as it forces them to jump approach (easy to predict), or wait out the bomb.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Nice mechanics.

Against Shulk have you tried more zair while holding a bomb? This is excellent for zoning and I never see you do it. It is especially good vs characters that dont have projectiles, as it forces them to jump approach (easy to predict), or wait out the bomb.
Hi man and thanks for your time man. I have not use the Zair with a bomb because I dont think that landing to the ground with landing lag its not a good think to do, but I will try to do more Zair because I was not doing it in my matches :D

FSK

Smash Ace
Hi man and thanks for your time man. I have not use the Zair with a bomb because I dont think that landing to the ground with landing lag its not a good think to do, but I will try to do more Zair because I was not doing it in my matches :D
just remember to never use zair with forward momentum while your opponent is approaching you. Because it will lead to you getting grabbed.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Izaw vs Haze 100€ Money match

Commentated by Keitaro and False.

http://youtu.be/tBrvgR-c1VQ
Great matches. You made Haze really uncomfortable on those platform stages. Off-stage play was amazing, and I think I picked up some things from watching that. Keep on repping Link. :)

mackman

Smash Cadet

This might be a super dumb question, but...is Izaw performing lagless Z-Airs? (at 45 seconds and 1:15). And if so, how is he doing it? Is it just a matter of beginning the Z-Air immediately upon leaving the ground? Whenever I Z-air, it creates a lot of lag on landing.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
This might be a super dumb question, but...is Izaw performing lagless Z-Airs? (at 45 seconds and 1:15). And if so, how is he doing it? Is it just a matter of beginning the Z-Air immediately upon leaving the ground? Whenever I Z-air, it creates a lot of lag on landing.
He's probably L canceling them with fast fall. It's a technique which was found.

mackman

Smash Cadet
He's probably L canceling them with fast fall. It's a technique which was found.
From what I've been able to find, that consists of fast-falling so you make contact with the ground immediately after hitting them with the attack: In this case, the hookshot. Is that about it? (also, isn't L-Canceling a misleading name for something that has nothing to do with pressing L?)

Edit:

At 2:35, he cancels the lag without making any contact with Haze. Unless we're talking about completely different things, doesn't Lag Canceling require making contact with another character?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
From what I've been able to find, that consists of fast-falling so you make contact with the ground immediately after hitting them with the attack: In this case, the hookshot. Is that about it? (also, isn't L-Canceling a misleading name for something that has nothing to do with pressing L?)
Actually the name L cancelling comes from Lag cancelling, not from the button you press. So it's not really misleading.

And Fox has actually told me that apparently you can't fast fall L cancel zair. So yeah, I don't know what's happening.

mackman

Smash Cadet
Actually the name L cancelling comes from Lag cancelling, not from the button you press. So it's not really misleading.

And Fox has actually told me that apparently you can't fast fall L cancel zair. So yeah, I don't know what's happening.
Ah, I thought it was from pressing L to cancel the lag in melee....my mistake.

But...there's something happening, right? It's not just me? Am I crazy?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ah, I thought it was from pressing L to cancel the lag in melee....my mistake.

But...there's something happening, right? It's not just me? Am I crazy?
Maybe you are. I didn't notice it that faster. Would have to rematch them with more care to tell accurately.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's more that fast falling has nothing to do with the glitch/mechanic that makes the Frame Cancel/Synch thing work.

Edit: More to the question though, Zair has always been that lagless. He's just buffering an action out of the landing so that it is done as soon as possible. Also the fact that it's done out of a SH and not FF'd means that he's only adding on the landing lag of a SH (which would have been present even if he didn't Zair) which is less than the landing lag of a FH or a FF.

Last edited:

mackman

Smash Cadet
It's more that fast falling has nothing to do with the glitch/mechanic that makes the Frame Cancel/Synch thing work.

Edit: More to the question though, Zair has always that lagless. He's just buffering an action out of the landing so that it is done as soon as possible. Also the fact that it's done out of a SH and not FF'd means that he's only adding on the landing lag of a SH (which would have been present even if he didn't Zair) which is less than the landing lag of a FH or a FF.
Holy crap, it makes a difference whether you do it with Z or Dodge-A...With air-dodge -> A, there's a tremendous amount of landing lag...with Z, it's lagless. Is this just common knowledge that everyone else except for me knew about?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Holy crap, it makes a difference whether you do it with Z or Dodge-A...With air-dodge -> A, there's a tremendous amount of landing lag...with Z, it's lagless. Is this just common knowledge that everyone else except for me knew about?
Yes. It's common knowledge. The lag from landing with an airdodge transfers over.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Doing it with Dodge A is probably a vestige of brawl, where you did that to be able to retain the bomb. Here however it's not useful at all. Maybe that's why I didn't notice such a big difference in his timings, because I always did zair just with z.

mackman

Smash Cadet
Doing it with Dodge A is probably a vestige of brawl, where you did that to be able to retain the bomb. Here however it's not useful at all. Maybe that's why I didn't notice such a big difference in his timings, because I always did zair just with z.
That's exactly it. Well, time to unlearn all the previous unlearning that I've been doing, and just train myself to use Z instead of Dodge A.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
That's exactly it. Well, time to unlearn all the previous unlearning that I've been doing, and just train myself to use Z instead of Dodge A.
It takes time to unlearn brawl after so many years, specially since Link is essentially unchanged, but it's worth it. This game is and plays so differently that you can't really transfer anything but fundamentals.

Breadloaf

Smash Apprentice
Great matches. You made Haze really uncomfortable on those platform stages. Off-stage play was amazing, and I think I picked up some things from watching that. Keep on repping Link. :)
I agree i picked up a ton in terms off edgeguarding it really helps when you have videos like this to study from.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452

So...beautiful... ;A; This is why you're my favorite Link main. That Dthrow > footstool > tipped Fsmash was so hype, your offstage game was so tense and masterfully executed, your ledge techs made me jealous, and the way you finished it off with that Dtilt meteor was the perfect way to end it.

It's so good seeing you play Link again, Izaw. Keep it up! I want to see more! :D

sasook

Smash Champion
I know right? The things he does in his matches are unthinkable, he does stuff that just shouldn't be possible, yet it happens. Honestly it's remarkable.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I know right? The things he does in his matches are unthinkable, he does stuff that just shouldn't be possible, yet it happens. Honestly it's remarkable.
I know right? It's almost, almost a if it's all staged. But of course, he wouldn't do that right? Stage fights just to seem to be better than he is.

By the by, do you ever lose @ Izaw Izaw ? I've never seen you upload a set where you lose.

So...beautiful... ;A; This is why you're my favorite Link main. That Dthrow > footstool > tipped Fsmash was so hype, your offstage game was so tense and masterfully executed, your ledge techs made me jealous, and the way you finished it off with that Dtilt meteor was the perfect way to end it.

It's so good seeing you play Link again, Izaw. Keep it up! I want to see more! :D
Don't feed attention whores.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Awww the other Link noobs can't handle it. Q_Q
Can't handle what? All I did was ask why is it that you never upload videos of you losing. I mean, you do lose right?

What did I say that would make the all mighty and glorious Izaw stoop so low as to call us noobs? Unless...did I touch a sensitive topic?

Top Bottom