• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
There is a Brawl tournament at this as well, but maybe you guys should make it different or soemthing, like Low Tier, to break up the monotony...

Dekar289

Smash Hero
imo should do

melee low tier, melee singles, melee teams, melee crews
and if by some miracle there is any time left we go brawl ffa items warioware

Dekar289

Smash Hero
earl and tibis will smash all the brawl peeple
and they all be like
"wowow, guess i can have fun and **** too"
melee scene explodes, robocop attendance 300+

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
300+ is a given, we're roping in the Tekken scene which is like, an extra 70 people. RAWRRRRRRRR

Dekar289

Smash Hero
so whats the deal with recording equipment for this

tanman has like a hdd recorder right? i'm assuming you can't transfer the files straight to a laptop or anything, or input a mic

kupo

Smash Lord
Any small meets planned for this week before monthly? *looks at dekar* Itching to play some games.

Otherwise, monthly it is!

Atlasmist

Smash Journeyman
lets hope so *puts brawl into case and shuts it* time for some melee

i will only be around for half the day so long as melee is first then after that i have a 21st bday to go to

Dekar289

Smash Hero
smash at bryan's this wednesday confirmed

hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
Guys, the timetable would resume as normal.

We start at 1pm as usual. Ill post the exact timetable if people want, soon.

Brawl singles --> Melee Doubles --> Melee Singles. If there is time, and im praying there is: Melee crews.

It is very important that people bring their TVs to this! AND Power cords/cables.

Who is able to bring them this week? Atlas, Redact, Plasia, Timic, condog, vermeh? etc... Brawlers are most definitely welcome to help too to support the televisions for this, especially when there are brawl singles as well. Recording equipment would be appreciated as well, if not, ill resort to my camera lol.

Let me know! More help, the better. We're gonna have fun at this thang!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ill bring my hueg tv again if i get a ride, just have to hope for a ride as per usual with sam or something

also let me know about wednesday at bryans if dekars legit, im not working after tommorow so im keen for a meet anytime/anyday, even if its just me and someone else lol

tibs7

Smash Champion
for all the brawlers that should come to this ,due to massive interest we will be using the Japanese Stagelist for this weekends tournament. It is as follows:

neutrals:
final destination
smashville
battlefield

cp's:
yoshi's island
halberd
lylat cruise

Along with this Japanese Stagelist i will be endorsing Shaya's 25 ledge grab rule to stop excessive stalling/camping, makes the game worse imo so hopefully this will help the problem a tiny bit.
ALSO, with the issues of excessive air stalling because of a stupid 10% lead is not allowed, i will be giving you a warning first, then if it continues you will lose that game. If i am not present at the time and someone has an issue with someone else air camping, save the replay and bryan and myself will review it.

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW ehehe :chuckle:
any problems dont hesistate to ask

tibs7

Smash Champion
jumping on platforms trying to avoid the fray at all costs by using your aerial mobility, copious amounts of jumps etc etc
hard to say what it really is, but like when you see it you'll be like woo so gay

Dekar289

Smash Hero
isn't that just... running away in the air? sure it's gay but it's beatable
guess we'll see

tibs7

Smash Champion
dekar my good friend it is pretty much like that but abusing it for decent amount of time is just gay.
i wont be pulling people up on it for nothing it has to be pretty bad, so its pretty much a 'just in case' rule.
thanks conor for that ;)

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Since when is Smash in the business of banning stuff that's cheap/gay? Once there was a philosophy that you should only ban things that are absolutely game-breaking, not just lame/cheap/gay/whatever. It was about playing to win, accepting that the optimal playstyle for achieving victory may not always coincide with what makes a "fun" match. It's why chain grabs and **** didn't get banned in Melee.
Moreover, is there an objective measure of when you're 'air stalling'? What do you have to be doing and how long do you have to be doing it? What if you break it up with small bits of not stalling? What do you do when you're warned to stop it - are you forced to launch a naturally disadvantageous approach? Rules in which you can't objectively evaluate and enforce based on explicit criteria are naturally unprofessional for a competitive tournament.

Treading dangerous water imo.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Since when is Smash in the business of banning stuff that's cheap/gay? Once there was a philosophy that you should only ban things that are absolutely game-breaking, not just lame/cheap/gay/whatever. It was about playing to win, accepting that the optimal playstyle for achieving victory may not always coincide with what makes a "fun" match. It's why chain grabs and **** didn't get banned in Melee.
Moreover, is there an objective measure of when you're 'air stalling'? What do you have to be doing and how long do you have to be doing it? What if you break it up with small bits of not stalling? What do you do when you're warned to stop it - are you forced to launch a naturally disadvantageous approach? Rules in which you can't objectively evaluate and enforce based on explicit criteria are naturally unprofessional for a competitive tournament.

Treading dangerous water imo.
Pretty much this. Not much I can add; quoted for emphasis.

Also: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-should-be-banned.html

Even if banning "air-stalling" is warranted (which I completely disagree with, it is by no means game-breaking), it's definitely not something that you can define a discrete, enforceable rule around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom