• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

Dekar289

Smash Hero
she told me last night she's rather you didn't attend her party and just go to the monthly

Nova

Banned via Warnings
What dekar said.
I might come to this.
I can arrive really early on the day, then just annoy people on the Internet for like 3 hours.
Can anyone host me/pick me up from the airport (Conor >_>).
Either way still a maybe.
My sleeping pattern is stupid atm. But it's only like $75 return...
W/E, I'm a needy bìtch.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Figures.

I JUST start at this new job rite?
And they say I will be working the very occasional weekend.
So I look at my roster on my first day (yesterday).
And I'm rostered on ONE Saturday in the next 4 weeks.
And it's the 3rd.
Nyoro~n.

I'm going to get out of it though, because I know how much people need me to be there. And such.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
id be up for n2c is we get a decent turnout promised. falco needs some exp against characters not named diddy.

Splice

Smash Hero
@Scoot: Is that because it's an easter holiday so they up the prices coz they know people will be travelling for family etc.?

:(

Dekar289

Smash Hero
can someone do some sexy artowork for team buttsecks parade
preferrably art of an out of control buttsecks parade
something that could be put on a t-shirt

who am i kidding, vermy please do all that lol

earla

Smash Lord
may i please have any footage of me recorded last tournament put up? cheers

earla

Smash Lord
anyone money matches for 3rd of april 3 stocked brawl ~ private message me

Attila_

BRoomer
here's a point for discussion. i reckon if brinstar is legal, rc and japes should be too. they're equally as stupid as each other. kgo

C~Dog

Smash Champion
That's something I have been thinking about. In my mind, this is how I group the stages, on a scale from Starter --- Counterpick --- Banned:

~~~

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counterpick

Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick

Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2

Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat

Counterpick/Banned

Brinstar

Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Pirate Ship

Luigi's Mansion
Norfair

Hanenbow

~~~

Starter - These are the stages that I consider most Neutral. They should ALWAYS be included as Starter stages.

Group One - These are the stages I consider most Neutral, in the sense that they don't have any complex parts. However, on their own, they don't make a good Starter set.

Group Two - YI isn't exactly a Neutral stage, since it has a lot of aspects that deviate from the common concept of Neutrality: a non-flat surface; Shy Guys; random ghost-platforms; and a tilting centre platform. But, it's presence in the Starter list is important, as it balances out the stage choice for some characters (such as Diddy, ICs and Falco) who would otherwise be fought on a stage that they would use as their Counterpick.

Starter/Counterpick - These stages are suitable for Starters, but have aspects about them that cast doubt as to their viability as Starters. One goes to CP, the other to Starter; no big deal.

Group Three - Lylat is a great stage....that tilts.The tilting ****s up everything. PS1 has two/three tranformations that are probably deserving of CP status on their own, but since they last for a short amount of time, it makes it borderline.

Counterpick - Standard CP stages. Should always be included.

Group Four - They provide advantages for the losing player. I don't see anything wrong with these stages that makes me question their viability.

Group Five - Whilst these are still fine CP stages, there is just things about them that mean I group them as somewhat less CP worthy than the above: Frigate has no ledge on the right side, which ****s with recoveries that use tethers; Picto...has a lot of transformations, and that just bugs me for some reason.

Counterpick/Banned - Stages that IMO are treading the line between being viable and not. With these stages two rules apply: If you put stages from one group in CP, all the stages in the above groups are also put in; and all stages from a group must go in if one does. Note that all of these are accpetable for Teams play.

Group Six - I'm undecided as to whether Brinstar goes with the group above or below it. On one hand, it is a stage that provides a good CP for certain characters, on the other it has lots of stupid **** going on.

Group Seven - IMO viable CP stages, but against some characters you pretty much have to ban it or it's an autowin.

Group Eight - Kinda viable CPs, similar to the group above but they all
have things that make me question that viability: LM, circle camping, semi-cave of immortality; Norfair, lava, ledge camping, stalling to some extent, and LAVA.

Group Nine - An interesting stage, in that it is a good doubles CP. It's never going to be in singles, but in doubles works.

~~~

The issues I have with choosing the stage list are:

1/ Choosing a 5th Starter. IMO a 5 stage system in the best, which means that either PS1 or Lylat need to be included, and thats an iffy decision. A 7 stage system could also work, but that means that a 7th stage needs to be chosen. Urgh.

2/ Brinstar. For the most part I group Brinstar with Picto/FO, but I'm beginning to think it belongs with JJ/RR.

3/ JJ/RR/PS. On one hand, they are good CPs; on the other, they can be stupid.

I am tempted to put Brinstar with Jungle Japes, Pirate Ship and Rainbow Ride, and then put them all in the CP list.

~~~

Also on another note, I am open to the concept of using Custom Stages as a tournament standard. It would solve the problem of having to find a7th Starter, and they could be some great CPs made to tailor to a specific play style or character type.

Unfortunately, because it is, by nature, not part of the base game to start with, it is inherently difficult to objectively make a stage that would work alongside the stages already used.

If there was a Backroom led project to create a set of Neutral/Starter stages, that culminated in a BR-sanctioned list of stages acceptable for tournament use, I would definitely use it.

So yeah. Discuss etc etc

EDIT: I was supposed to be doing homework and I typed this up instead...good one attila...

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
loooooooooooooool Final Destination. Should be grouped with Yoshi's Island at LEAST, due to most likely already explained (by shaya?) reasons.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Ok this might sound a bit far out, but I was mulling the starter stage predicament over.
And I came to a conclusion, that starter stages should aim to be, as neutral as possible for the maximum amount of characters on the list.

And while realising that I came to another conclusion, about all the possible starter stages. Almost all of them provide no huge advantage to any one char... except FD.

FD seems really neutral... on paper. But think about it, played right it is incredibly good for certain chars. Does your char lose out in mobility? Prepare to be timed out (Lol sonic), no projectile? Falco says hi and good night and diddy kong will destroy... destroy you. It also forms the one of the better IC stages, how are you going to avoid their grab with no platform and suitable projectile and defensive use of them? You aren't.

So why don't we (after realising how badly FD is not neutral for the maximum amount of chars) give a try at having a 5 starter system. YI, SV, BF, PS1 and Lylat?

None of those 5 stages give such one sided MU's as FD, and I know everyone will now scream at me "BUT NIX, YOU CAN JUST BAN THAT STAGE".
Seriously if you use that argument, I will smack you next tourny. Sure I can ban it, well then lets make Mario Bros legal, don't like it ban it durp durp.

The starter stages should be an odd amount of stages without stage bans taking into consideration. They should all try to be as fair and as least MU changing as possible. This is the purpose of starter stages, the only things affecting who wins, should be; the MU between the two chars and the skill of the players.

Now FD might be more neutral to some chars than all others, but, all the other stages are evenly neutral for the whole cast and I think thats a huge point that is often overlooked.

Now this might sound superficially stupid, but give it a shot and think that we should be trying things to provide the best possible rules for our competitive scene.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Yeah FD is the only stage in the game without platforms, it is long and the bounds are larger then the other starters. not to mention the advantages for IC, Snake, Diddy and DDD.
In my current opinion it should be grouped with YI.

Attila_

BRoomer
fd isnt good for ics. seriously. bf is infinitely better against anyone who isnt named marth.

and if we have 5 neutrals, fd is definitely on it. i can kinda understand if its left out of a 3 neutral selection list, but putting ps1 and/or lylat in over it is really silly.

and yeah, if you have brinstar, put rc and japes back in. or get rid of them all. not sure about pirate ship... its probably just as stupid as them anyway. whatever.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Ok great point attila that really addressed why I was wrong and why FD should be in the starters over them...
Oh wait no it didn't.

I accept that its your point of view but could you please try and give me the reasons FD provides a more neutral MU for as much of the cast as possible than PS1 and Lylat? What MU's are completely changed by either or which char gets god mode?

Fine IC's are bad on FD? Take them off, put in D3 boom enjoy.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Hi I'm Falco, and I am going to ping away and shoot lasers at you for the next 8 minutes.

Hi I'm Snake, and I am going to mortar away and throw grenades at you for the next 8 minutes.

Hi I'm Diddy, and I am going to throw bananas at you and laugh at you for the next 8 minutes.

Yo *****, I'm King Dedede, and I'm gonna chaingrab your *** all the **** over this stage and throw little round ****ers at you for the next 8 minutes. *****.

Attila_

BRoomer
generally its only mks and warios that time people out... and it's actually probably hardest for them to do this on fd, now that i think about it.

basically fd is more neutral than ps1 and lylat because it favours/inhibits certain players to a much less extent than fd does.

take an mk to lylat. he can fly under the stage, uair through a decent portion of the stage, and laugh when sweetspotters are struggling to recover at the ledge. not to mention that anyone who has difficultly autocancelling (characters, not players) simply have to live without some aerials because of the tilt.

and ps1... it has walls. walls mean infinites and tilt locks. walls mean stupid techs and stories of survival. it also splits the stage in two at points, making approaching impossible and STALLING FOR TIME MORE VIABLE THAN EVER.

fd has no platforms, and favours certain characters. ok. but im not gonna get sharked, timed out, miss the ledge, infinited/locked against a wall or live forever by teching on it.

and just for the record, at least in the snake mu, d3 players prefer bf. it makes getting the kill easier.

Top Bottom