• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

swordsaint

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm just sticking to Falco for now, he does well against most... except for Pikachu... but anyway, yeah, I'd better learn Falco fairly comprehensively before I start learning any secondary.
I'm inclined to believe Falco doesn't do as bad as people say on Pikachu too, but there's no truly good Pikachus in Australia to viably base that opinion off. So you have nothing to worry about anyway.

earla

Smash Lord
im looking for some prac. brawl or melee next few days, willing to travel. hit me up

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Come to Bendigo Earl. It'll be fun.

Seriously though, I should be about 80% Likely to turn up to this. Theoretically. The weekend is free, so yeah...

Dekar289

Smash Hero
brawl singles first and melee teams first means less people needed in both games which means less holdups
let's always have 1 singles and 1 teams running together

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Sure that sounds fine to me, and seems everyone here is cool with it too. One of the games has to swap the schedule around anyway, might as well be Brawl.

I'll redo the schedule later today.

Splice

Smash Hero
So you aren't gonna finish doubles on time?

Also Scott, Chris has a good Pikachu, and i'd say Tibs and Afropony, whilst not exactly tournament winning Pikachus, are good enough for an Australian Falco main to make their opinion of the MU based off playing them, imo.

PS. Conor, low tier crews/crews of some sort?

swordsaint

Smash Master
So you aren't gonna finish doubles on time?

Also Scott, Chris has a good Pikachu, and i'd say Tibs and Afropony, whilst not exactly tournament winning Pikachus, are good enough for an Australian Falco main to make their opinion of the MU based off playing them, imo.

PS. Conor, low tier crews/crews of some sort?
from what I've heard about tibs' pikachu (lolattila), im gonna have to say it's probably not something i can judge the mu on. I had no idea afro even USES pikachu and as for amaterasu...never seen it.

but anyway, having never played them, i can't really gauge a proper opinion on the matchup. but i've played toby and don't think it's nearly as bad as it's said.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Attila's falco just platform camps against my pika so it's annoying but if it were tourny, I'd do bout 20% then leave him to approach me. Which I'd never do in friendlies.
Scoot I'll beat your falco with pika dw bout that.

Splice

Smash Hero
from what I've heard about tibs' pikachu (lolattila), im gonna have to say it's probably not something i can judge the mu on. I had no idea afro even USES pikachu and as for amaterasu...never seen it.

but anyway, having never played them, i can't really gauge a proper opinion on the matchup. but i've played toby and don't think it's nearly as bad as it's said.
Mmyep. My sentiments towards what you have just said are neutral.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Attila's falco just platform camps against my pika so it's annoying but if it were tourny, I'd do bout 20% then leave him to approach me. Which I'd never do in friendlies.
lol, friendlies. that's a fair call, i didn't really know whether he meant tournament or friendlies :p

we'll have to actually play one day...we've been to a few together but never really played. i am disappoint son.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Horrible stage option by me against Ted. Which ultimately cost me I think :(. But he is quite good.

But yeah best not to talk about that Ricky :p

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
tibor, you kept running into bairs. dash grab isnt the only approach pika should be using. that's why you lost.

and the mu is kinda stupid, from my experience. i mean, falco can win, but its just so much easier for pika to gain control of the match. and recovering against thunder is really dangerous. and pika combos into grab. and has better kill moves. and even after cg %, pika can still do nasty stuff with a dthrow.

swordsaint

Smash Master
tibor, you kept running into bairs. dash grab isnt the only approach pika should be using. that's why you lost.

and the mu is kinda stupid, from my experience. i mean, falco can win, but its just so much easier for pika to gain control of the match. and recovering against thunder is really dangerous. and pika combos into grab. and has better kill moves. and even after cg %, pika can still do nasty stuff with a dthrow.
lol no ones saying it isn't bad

just 65-35?

dunno.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
try playing fox against pikachu, then you'll apprechiate 65-35.

also you'll never play against tib scoot because I'll be at every tourney he is at lololololol

tibs7

Smash Champion
Attila you continually try to make me sound like I'm bad at this game lol, I haven't versed you in a tourny for bout 3 months. And I plan on totally gayng you in every way possible which will include playing pika v falco the way it's supposed to be played.

And it's actually legitmately hard to beat falco when you're down a stock.

Splice

Smash Hero
Attila you continually try to make me sound like I'm bad at this game lol, I haven't versed you in a tourny for bout 3 months. And I plan on totally gayng you in every way possible which will include playing pika v falco the way it's supposed to be played.

Poor Tibor, the things he has to put up with :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Your pika couldn't even touch my dedede :laugh:

This is VERY VERY TRUE.
The whole reason why the match up is uber gay against Pikachu is because Pikachu can take chip damage from falco ALL DAY and all he needs to do is get a grab to win.

Falco having a stock lead let's him play the super campy way without as much worry.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Your pika couldn't even touch my dedede :laugh:
bro cmon, I did take a few games off you out of he few matches we played between them. Also you told me the way to beat dedede with pika is to time him out....I'll do it next time ;)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
BIG POST

~~~

1. PS2 to be moved to Counter Picks

I want to move PS2 back to the CP group. There has been some discussion on it lately, even talk of makig it a neutral. The general reason people don't play the stage is because it isn't a good CP for anyone, not because it is banworthy.

~

2. Pools this month?

I feel running pools will be good for new people since they get more games and can play a greater number of people in 'real' matches. Also with the number of TVs we have available, pools can go very fast. Would culminate in a 16 man bracket. Also with pools, i'm considering changing the method of pools to the following (used in NSW tourneys):

* Player's strike one stage each.
* Sets are two matches played once each on the remainding two stages.

This would mean one of Lylat and Pokemon Stadium 1 would be removed from the Starter list for pools.

Also, if pools are run, there would be a seperate side event run concurrently with the bracket for the people eliminated.

~

3. If anybody has any issues/questions/comments/critisisms/suggestions regarding the ruleset/running, then voice up now since the influx of new Smashers makes this the most opportune time for such discussions.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
PS2 is the most amazing stage in the game.
BELIEVE IT.

Last tournament was amazing.
I'm pretty sure I played PS2 close to 40% of my matches.
And it was like

AWW BABY.

Sonic scares me SO MUCH ON THAT STAGE THOUGH OMG.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
pools into a 16 man bracket and also a bracket for those eliminated will take way too much time
i think.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Amateur bracket was pretty good. Only issue being that it is still ANOTHER BRAWL BRACKET, increasing time necessary to finish Brawl singles.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
As I told you on the day, it should still equate to less time than brawl pools.

Sunday was farked because of being forced to run like 4 events at once because people had to leave early :\

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Pools should be decided on how big the attendance is i guess, but as conor said before, it could give the newbies more of a chance to play extra matches rather then be knocked out right away.

amateur bracket is alright too, considering it gave me plenty of matches =p. Anyways, should equipment be organised? I heard tvs arnt really a problem, so bring lots of setups people =3

I'll be bringing my wii and cords if needed

Splice

Smash Hero
1. PS2 to be moved to Counter Picks.
Never knew why it was banned, I don't think I've ever played on it in tourneys since I started. Do we still have Pictochat though? :/

2. Pools this month?
Yes we need pools back. 'Specially with new blood.

Also with pools, i'm considering changing the method of pools to the following (used in NSW tourneys):

* Player's strike one stage each.
* Sets are two matches played once each on the remaining two stages
Yes this is much better than what we used to do. gj NSW.

This would mean one of Lylat and Pokemon Stadium 1 would be removed from the Starter list for pools.
Remove Lylat imo. I mean at least PS1 is a good stage HALF THE TIME.

Also, if pools are run, there would be a seperate side event run concurrently with the bracket for the people eliminated.
I've never seen any point in this. They should just play friendlies then, I don't see why you would let them do this but not play friendlies :/ Meh, will just make it harder for you and not that much better for everyone else.

I like your work Conor. ;)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Yes this is much better than what we used to do. gj NSW.
I don't even know what we used to do. Anyway, in my noob opinion we should make a six stage list for pools and strike twice. One of Final Destination/Castle Siege/Halberd added to the current 5 would be good :)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I'm inclinded to make it FD.

The fact that I have been playing D3 lately has absolutely no influence on that.

*shifty eyes*

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
5 is enough for a starter selection, plus you cant have an even amount of neaturals anyway. 7 would be over the top, unless we want the tournament to have more stage viability

C~Dog

Smash Champion
5 is enough for a starter selection, plus you cant have an even amount of neaturals anyway.
For pools you need an even number of stages so that you can both strike the same amount of stages and have 2 left to play on (one for each match of pools).

Splice

Smash Hero
4 and 6 are both good, it's really up to you whether you think the gap of fairness/neutral-worthiness between Lylat and the other 4 is larger or smaller than the gap of fairness/neutral-worthiness of FD and Lylat.

I'm pretty sure that's how you have to decide.

Ps. @Dean, the old rules were to just go random. Pretty good yeah.
@Leisha, lol

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Ohh for pools? My bad, I thought we were talking about the actual stage selection for the bracket xD.

Then I guess either suggest,

4 stages with

Smashville
BattleField
Yoshi's Island
PS1, PS2 or Lylat (I'd perfer PS1)

6 Stages

Smashville
BattleField
Yoshi's Island
PS1
PS2
Lylat

Just a suggestion

Anyways, we all misread sometimes. So dont get at me too bad please.. lul

I actually dont like FD that much anymore, Still should stay in CP due to the lack of platforms.

Splice

Smash Hero
Why the hell would PS2 be a neutral over FD or Lylat?

4 - Smashville, Battlefield, PS1, Yoshis Island
6 - Smashville, Battlefield, PS1, Yoshis Island, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination

Top Bottom