• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
I may come to this tourny as well. Only Bendigonian with dedication... Or idiocy, whatever people consider it =P

Anyway, given that Edge and DS check these forums less than I do, I dunno whether they'd come, even if it was a Sunday...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
C-Dog, are you going to implement something like the Atyeo ruleset? It'll be good BT2 prac

Good ideas I see posted:
- a new friend for free deal (can make that work for Melee too)
- main or side tourney to be crews/atyeo

Also, to add an additional comment, it seems like people aren't realising the size/growth of a scene is a community responsibility as much as it is a tournament responsibility --tournaments can only go so far to encourage growth, but a lot of the growth comes from the community doing the little things to build the scene from the ground up -- like making new friends, outreach, etc. tournaments just provide the opportunity to meet and the venue, but the people in the scene do the rest of the job to pull in people and make them stay. smash is ultimately a social tribe, so if a newcomer doesn't create any meaningful connections during their time with smash, they will eventually drop out.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
C-Dog, are you going to implement something like the Atyeo ruleset? It'll be good BT2 prac

Good ideas I see posted:

Also, to add an additional comment, it seems like people aren't realising the size/growth of a scene is a community responsibility as much as it is a tournament responsibility --tournaments can only go so far to encourage growth, but a lot of the growth comes from the community doing the little things to build the scene from the ground up -- like making new friends, outreach, etc. tournaments just provide the opportunity to meet and the venue, but the people in the scene do the rest of the job to pull in people and make them stay. smash is ultimately a social tribe, so if a newcomer doesn't create any meaningful connections during their time with smash, they will eventually drop out.
Be my Friend!

No seriously, from a noobs perspective this is the way to go. Welcome the new guys and make it enjoyable for them; play your best against them, because if they lose and quit then they are just sore losers.

I'm coming in August not expecting anything except to have a good time and meet some cool guys.

ALSO. With the whole bring a friend thing; if i bring TWO friends: will you pay me? :3

C~Dog

Smash Champion

Good ideas I see posted:
Yeah, I was thinking of doing Atyeo instead of singles this time. Was going to do it last time, but never got round to it xD

With the Bring a Friend deal, it's limited to one friend per person, and you can choose which event you want to enter for free.

This. The reason I got so into the scene was I started talking to Vermy and Jei pretty much straight away.

Also Splice don't worry you're still my friend.

Splice

Smash Hero
If wizpig IS diddy kong racing, then i totally know what it is, guys, come on, geez.

But never heard it be called wizpig before =/

Also, there is a difference between trying hard against the newcomers, and playing the gayest possible way against them, which is what Gary did to my friend :( Even pros like Attila don't like to have people play against them like that.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
If wizpig IS diddy kong racing, then i totally know what it is, guys, come on, geez.

Also, there is a difference between trying hard against the newcomers, and playing the gayest possible way against them, which is what Gary did to my friend :( Even pros like Attila don't like to have people play against them like that.
Don't be a fool. I don't play Gay to be Gay ever... If it seems I am playing gay then it's because I am trying out a strat. The fox running away is prob the only gay thing I did and I was doing it against everyone cos I was practising and finding out for myself how viable it is.

Splice

Smash Hero
@Alzi : Wow that totally explains everything. . . . . .

Anyway, in response to Garys post about practising to find out the viability of strategies and other srs business, I only have one thing to say, and that is that you cannot spell "Gary" without "Gay". I rest my case.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Splice: Wizpig is the final boss in Diddy Kong Racing, it's unbelievable how you don't know that lol. But it's also cute.

I understand what Gary is saying, I never go Pit against new comers, instead I try different things with different characters that I normally wouldn't be able to perform against veterans because they would shove my foot in my *ss before I even get close to getting the hang of it.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431

rofl you clearly don't know who wizpig is then. nor have played enough dkr.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Only if Wizpig is selectable. I want to stomp mofo's like he stomped me so many times.
Btw who thought that fat pig was hard? I think he was, but at an enjoyable level...as in it takes more than one try to beat him lol. Unlike games these days.

btw move this 'wizpig is hard' bs in the FFFF thread guys geez =P

>_>
<_<

SMASH BROS.!

edit: I'm talking about both times you vs him, on foot then on rocket. I'm not a noob =_=

Rhythm_Raik

Smash Rookie
Haha, I've stopped it now. I used fox agressively the last tourney against the new guy :).
Reason I didn't hold back against new guys is cos; When I'm new to a game, I like it when my opponent gives his all. So I know what people are capable of and so I can learn the proper metagame quickly. But yeah i'll go easy with them from now on, unless they ask of course =).
Hey, I prefer it if people give it their all. Even if I get my butt kicked, I won't care as much as if I win and then I find out they were holding back.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Hey, I prefer it if people give it their all. Even if I get my butt kicked, I won't care as much as if I win and then I find out they were holding back.
play against my ice climbers and youll quickly change your mind. when someone is playing gay, its seriously not fun for anyone...

earla

Smash Lord
welcome rhythm raik. i'm sure ledge or myself would kindly give you tips on ike if you would like any.

any 'gay' technique can be beaten, the challenge is enjoyable.. not so much frustrating to me. :)

Attila_

BRoomer
funnily enough, people who are new to the scene are rarely able to overcome gay playstyles. hell, they cant overcome sandbagging.

and no, you cant always overcome them. capt falcon will never be able to overcome an mk who spams nado. and the fact that one player has to work so much harder than the other is annoying to me. i like it when things are even :)

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
That's the worst example ever Attila. C.Falcon will never beat an MK ever let alone a newcomer against these Melbourne MKs lol. Nado has nothing to do with it :p

But I do agree that playing gay isn't that fun especially if it's against new people. The whole point of this convo is that Gary gayed out a newbie and that person refuses to come back. At least I thought that,s what we are supposed to be focusing on.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
=) That's a good attitude to have.
Like Earl said earlier, we would be happy to help you out.

@Everyone:
This started as a joke and now people are starting to seriously blame me... Ok time to set it straight I guess.

I didn't Gay anyone. I just played Agressively with MK against them so they didn't have a chance to even think about what was going on before they lost all their stock; This is seriously what happend. The other 2 people that Splice is talking about were in friendlies where I was just playing like I normally would. In one case I Dittoed him in hopes that he would learn a few things, he lost then got sad cos I beat him with his own character, I don't understand how this is Gay in anyway? Ok next example is when I was learning to play Fox seriously. Camping with Fox in my opinion is his most viable strat, so I was simply playing evasive and shooting a lot. He got frustrated cos he couldn't catch or hit me. I only took a tiny bit of damage that game; I don't understand how this is much Gay at all tbh, It isn't a spammy move or strat that is very hard to beat for new people, I was even having a laugh with him about it, anyway I think the reason he really got sad is cos he knew that Fox wasn't my main, yet I was still only taking a few percent every game. So all in all it wasn't my Gay playing that made them sad it is that I beat them, and leaving them with the impression that they couldn't beat me, ever.
Like I said earlier when I first play a game I want to get good at, I like it when people don't hold back against me at all. It helps me adjust to the real metagame quicker and gives me a chance to experience what it is like to face a really good player, I think it is the best attitude to have if you want to get good. Ohh and I'm completely with Earl, I like the challenge in beating gay techniques.

So there you go, you have my honesty. Sounds arrogant? Well It's Just the truth and it seems it had to be said before people start believing what they read on the boards and turning what was meant to be a joke into seriously blaming me? And people were saying that I am a Serious person... LOL.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I was joking Gary. But seriously you are the one responsible for destroying the smash scene forever.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I guess it looks like I was blaming you. My bad. I really wasn't, I was just pointing out the origin of the convo (I also didn't know it was a joke) and yeah I've already said I agree with your method.

I'm sorry Gary please don't eat me. :c

Sieg

Smash Champion
Getting beaten with your own character when your opponent is obviously just playing him for lols is ****ing annoying.

It hurts man. Only the strong willed can take it.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
how dare you try to win at a tournament, ledge
cao would be disappointed
banned from the smash scene forever

Rhythm_Raik

Smash Rookie
welcome rhythm raik. i'm sure ledge or myself would kindly give you tips on ike if you would like any.

any 'gay' technique can be beaten, the challenge is enjoyable.. not so much frustrating to me. :)
Forgive my n00bishness, but what's a "gay" technique?

=) That's a good attitude to have.
Like Earl said earlier, we would be happy to help you out.
Heh heh, thanks. ^^

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Gay in this context refers to tactics such as repeatedly using MK's Tornado, camping with Falco's/Fox's Lasers, etc.

Basically tactics that are hard for people to deal with without some measure of skill.

EDIT: also they are generally very simple to do, yielding a high reward for low risk, which is generally why people hate that style of play.

Attila_

BRoomer
pretty sure co18 has a pretty high degree of skill, conor.

imo gay moreso refers to a playstyle that is easy to pull off, yet forces the opponent to fight a significant uphill battle.

Top Bottom