• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Hi, just picked up the character over the past few weeks and I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious lol

Dedede main, but definitely plan to break out Villager to deal with some of that projectile spam the King hates so much

D

Deez1

Double Posting Warning Received

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think I already talked to that person and I did get helpful advice.

Also, the bowling ball edgeguard is always incredibly satisfying to land. :happysheep:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
I've never been more hyped for a character in a game since Olimar in Brawl, Villager is way too friggin' fun.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
@ zeezee zeezee , I've seen you mention Game & Watch as a good (or at least not bad) character a few times, is there a specific player you'very fought that's made you think that? Most players think he's pretty bad so it's nice to see a differijg opinion.

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
@ zeezee zeezee , I've seen you mention Game & Watch as a good (or at least not bad) character a few times, is there a specific player you'very fought that's made you think that? Most players think he's pretty bad so it's nice to see a differijg opinion.
I'm not saying that game and watch is good, but rather, problematic for villager simply because of his up b and its windbox causing villager some serious problems recovering back on stage. Basically Game and Watch will grab the ledge and wait for you get near him...he will then drop down and bair you, if he misses you with the back air, he can still hit you with his up b which will spike you into the wall requiring your teching to be on point. If his up b misses you however, it will propel you up with its really strong windbox and leave you extremely vulnerable coming down so its a bit of a lose-lose situation when hes edgeguarding you. He will just keep you offstage until he either spikes you off the wall or finally just ends you with a bair.
I don't remember his tag, but he frequents NY smash 4 tournaments a lot and I'm pretty sure he is part of the Ho3K crew. We were just playing some friendlies and it was my first time playing against a solid game and watch and it was a really nightmareish scenario.

I suppose you can try to reach the other side of the stage to avoid him, but the bair will just always leave you so far that you will rarely get a chance to do it effectively from what I can tell...and you can't even go under some stages because of their walls.

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
I've heard FOW say he thinks G&W is top 5. That's crazy to me every time he says it. I do think he's one of the more underrated characters? But top 15 is pushing it, let alone top 5!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@MJG just sniped M2K's Diddy at the Great Revival in the most glorious secret tree growth sadly he didn't win the set but damn was that a joy to watch!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello guys, long time Animal Crossing fan here. I'm considering dropping Rosalina for Villager as my secondary (with Greninja and Meta Knight being my mains), mainly because I like the character better, but also because I struggle against campy characters and Rosalina isn't doing the job of alleviating from the problem anymore. My question is: How does Villager match up against campy characters with projectiles such as Toon/Link, Peach, Mega man etc?

Oh and if anyone here plays Animal Crossing: New Leaf and would like to play with me whenever, my F/C is to the left. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
Villager can nearly shut down other campers if you use pocket, and your projectiles well. Refreshing Pocketed items such as the Metal Blade, Rob Gyro, e.t.c. really stunts their playstyle. Villager is a solid pick, join us.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Villager can nearly shut down other campers if you use pocket, and your projectiles well. Refreshing Pocketed items such as the Metal Blade, Rob Gyro, e.t.c. really stunts their playstyle. Villager is a solid pick, join us.
No Villager does not shut down MM at all. Pocketing Metal Blade does not force MM to not use it. The time it takes for you to pocket and take out the MB, MM has throw a crash bomb.

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
He doesn't necessarily shut him down, Metal Blade is a big part of MM's meta though. He can really make life hell for other campers though.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
If you pocket metal blade he takes out another one.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
@MJG just sniped M2K's Diddy at the Great Revival in the most glorious secret tree growth sadly he didn't win the set but damn was that a joy to watch!
I was actually about to mention Great Revival.

There were two top eight appearances for Villager at this Midwestern regional.

Mjg who placed 2nd, and then I actually placed 7th with him, so seeing those two places taken up by Villager in a meta currently clogged with Diddy is really exciting to see.

I also played Smash Potato with Mjg off stream for about twenty minutes. That was a ton of fun.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I was actually about to mention Great Revival.

There were two top eight appearances for Villager at this Midwestern regional.

Mjg who placed 2nd, and then I actually placed 7th with him, so seeing those two places taken up by Villager in a meta currently clogged with Diddy is really exciting to see.

I also played Smash Potato with Mjg off stream for about twenty minutes. That was a ton of fun.
Sorry Cody i literally joined when it was grand finals congrats on getting 7th place!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah I'd say MM is the only campy character that Villager struggles with. Sometimes Link.
While I think Toon Link is better than Link, I think Villager has a harder time with Link.

I'm looking for another character to main with Villager. Villager has some great match-ups, but some are a nightmare. I was thinking anyone of these: :4mario::4sonic::4peach::4metaknight:

Mostly to cover those pesky match-ups.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
While I think Toon Link is better than Link, I think Villager has a harder time with Link.

I'm looking for another character to main with Villager. Villager has some great match-ups, but some are a nightmare. I was thinking anyone of these: :4mario::4sonic::4peach::4metaknight:

Mostly to cover those pesky match-ups.
Let me give you Villager's four most significantly bad matchups

:4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4megaman:

You are going to need someone who AT LEAST does even with all of these characters.
It has to be even because there would be no point in picking up a character that just loses to your worst MUs slightly less than Villager.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

You are going to need someone who AT LEAST does even with all of these characters.
It has to be even because there would be no point in picking up a character that just loses to your worst MUs slightly less than Villager.
So ok, do you know how Jigglypuff does against those characters then?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So ok, do you know how Jigglypuff does against those characters then?
I'm probably wrong about most of these but.. I can give it a shot!
:4sheik:
It's very funny to know that the one of the three moves that invalidates Villager is trolled by Jiggs. She can dance around f-air so deliciously It makes me mad! She also technically kills earlier because rest. Though you are going to have to earn that nap what with Sheik's speed and all that. Can Jigglypuff duck under needles? That would be funny!

:4sonic:
I have no idea how you are going to kill him...

:4yoshi:
I'm pretty sure Jiggs deals with him better jump through the eggs and kill with rest

:4megaman:
No comment

Err Why don't you take these 4 to the Jigglypuff forum.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I'm not really a huge competitor, mostly 1v1 online. This is mostly due to my location which has a lack of tournaments. I know online isn't the best for preparation towards tourny play, but I do not intend to actually compete. Still, I appreciate your input. Though I would like to add :4falcon: to that list due to his power and speed combination.

Problem is, I don't know any character that has an even or advantage match-up against :4sheik: or even :4sonic: other than top/high tier characters.

The only characters that I really like that are considered great to many are: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4sonic::4villager:.

I don't really play characters that I don't like because they're good: :4ness::4pikachu::4megaman::4falcon::4sheik::4yoshi:.

Other's that I feel have some potential: :4charizard::4myfriends::4robinf::4drmario::4metaknight::4rob:

I'm thinking Mario has the best match-ups against those characters though. And I do like using him so I think that will be my best bet for now.

P.S. I didn't mean for that to sound rude or accusing. Hope you didn't take it like that.

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
I feel like :4yoshi:, :4sheik:, :4sonic:, and :rosalina: are his worst matchups, with :rosalina: being surprisingly manageable.

I have a lot of trouble with :4yoshi: myself, his hitboxes are stupid and he's constantly in my face.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I feel like :4yoshi:, :4sheik:, :4sonic:, and :rosalina: are his worst matchups, with :rosalina: being surprisingly manageable.

I have a lot of trouble with :4yoshi: myself, his hitboxes are stupid and he's constantly in my face.
His cool down is ridiculously short as well. He doesn't have to commit to much and that's hard to deal with. Which is another reason I think Falcon is a hard match-up as well.

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
It's strange but I don't really have problems with Falcon myself. Yoshi is just a whole slew of unfun and hard to deal with. Maybe it's just me but I am awful at the matchup.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's strange but I don't really have problems with Falcon myself. Yoshi is just a whole slew of unfun and hard to deal with. Maybe it's just me but I am awful at the matchup.
Nah, he's a pain for me too. I just see him less. His launch resistance on his second jump makes it hard for me to gimp, which is a huge part of Villager's gameplay IMO.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Falcon is relatively easy, his advantage is painful but our disadvantage is more than enough to keep him at bay. Falcon is super linear and with Lloyd he is predictable. as long as you don't give him center stage he'll eventually be knocked off the stage where our excellent edgeguarding comes into play.

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin I wouldn't shy away from the top tiers because they are top tiers. Most of the time they are top tiers because they are the most fun to play. Also I am like 80% sure that Meta Knight will be number 1 in a few years...assuming no customs other wise he's going to be Top Tier

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Falcon is relatively easy, his advantage is painful but our disadvantage is more than enough to keep him at bay. Falcon is super linear and with Lloyd he is predictable. as long as you don't give him center stage he'll eventually be knocked off the stage where our excellent edgeguarding comes into play.

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin I wouldn't shy away from the top tiers because they are top tiers. Most of the time they are top tiers because they are the most fun to play. Also I am like 80% sure that Meta Knight will be number 1 in a few years...assuming no customs other wise he's going to be Top Tier
It's mostly the top characters that I don't like. For example, I don't like Shiek because I am not a fan of her character outside of Smash, not because of her moveset. I play Rosalina because I like her outside of Smash and she just happens to be top tier. Or, I play Charizard because that's my favorite Pokémon, and he seems to be around mid tier. I hope that kinda clarifies things. I'm not sure about number 1, but I do think Meta Knight is underrated. If not one of the most underrated characters in Sm4sh. he's a lot different than he was in Brawl and I think that's a big reason why people steer away from him.

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
It's mostly the top characters that I don't like. For example, I don't like Shiek because I am not a fan of her character outside of Smash, not because of her moveset. I play Rosalina because I like her outside of Smash and she just happens to be top tier. Or, I play Charizard because that's my favorite Pokémon, and he seems to be around mid tier. I hope that kinda clarifies things. I'm not sure about number 1, but I do think Meta Knight is underrated. If not one of the most underrated characters in Sm4sh. he's a lot different than he was in Brawl and I think that's a big reason why people steer away from him.
Meta Knight number 1? Could I ask why? While he's a good doubles character, I don't think I've ever lost to him 1v1, certainly not in a set. I know his nerf caused people to think he's one of the worst in the game, but given the rest of the cast, I think he is below the middle.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Meta Knight number 1? Could I ask why? While he's a good doubles character, I don't think I've ever lost to him 1v1, certainly not in a set. I know his nerf caused people to think he's one of the worst in the game, but given the rest of the cast, I think he is below the middle.
I don't think he's the best, but he has some nasty set-ups and somewhat reliable kill power. Disjointed hitboxes, good recovery, and great normals are other good things about Meta Knight.
:4metaknight:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You probably won against people who still think he is Brawl meta knight. Smash 4 Meta Knight is pure rushdown with edgeguarding that rivals Villager's.
In the future you can expect Meta Knights being able to do stuff like this CONSISTENTLY
http://www.gfycat.com/ThoughtfulEnormousAlbertosaurus

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
Hi everyone, been following these boards for a few months and finally decided to join the community. Gotta say Villager is the most fun character in the roster for me. Pocket and tree shenanigans make my day, and if I can land a pocketed tree on you I don't care what happens the rest of the match. I'm aiming to get into my local tournament scene so If anyone is interested in critiques in my style I'd love the feedback. Otherwise I'm just happy to talk Smash/AC/other games.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I need to correct myself MK is pressure not rushdown
No, he's totally different from Villager, he actually has a good grab game instead of a just killing BThrow.

I just got a shieldbreak KO with Villager's jab on For Glory.

I've lost hope in the general player base.

Last edited:
Top Bottom