• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBC dropping PM? Let's create a Project M channel.

With VGBC dropping Project M, I believe we need a prominent, nonprofit Project M YouTube channel that any PM player (newcomers, veterans, any in-betweens) will think of immediately for recent Project M footage. A massive archive where not only VGBC's old Project M stuff can be skimmed through, but more recent sets as time passes. We also need streamers and players with video recording setups to send in any sets possible, to keep content flowing regularly. At large events, we could also stream Project M on Twitch as well as archive all sets, to cover any blind spots possible while bringing in plenty of live viewers. I feel like this could be a major step to bring Project M back into a positive spotlight in the smash community, if we work hard to make that channel huge via both publicity and content.

I'm willing to assist with the channel through uploading, giving titles, and giving descriptions to videos.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I'd personally love to see this. But, I think it's more than fair to say we should wait for the opinions of others. I still never understood why Nintendo just doesn't decide Project M is something they can work with, and possibly buy. Also, I get it's mostly because of the issue "It would show Nintendo supports modding of their content."

I'll go ahead and wait for more replies before I get started on this.

Anyone scrolling through posts past the original post, please offer your opinion(s) on the idea. Now I'd like to see a few more before I act.

As long as the channel's nonprofit, I feel like it'd receive a lot of support and remain about as safe as VGBC did when they were huge on Project M.

Love the sig, btw. Eliwood is my #1 favorite FE character, even after finishing the entire series. Ninian is my favorite dancer.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I'll go ahead and wait for more replies before I get started on this.

Anyone scrolling through posts past the original post, please offer your opinion(s) on the idea. Now I'd like to see a few more before I act.

As long as the channel's nonprofit, I feel like it'd receive a lot of support and remain about as safe as VGBC did when they were huge on Project M.

Love the sig, btw. Eliwood is my #1 favorite FE character, even after finishing the entire series. Ninian is my favorite dancer.
I think it's fair to point out almost all of the channels on YouTube get some kind of revenue, as long as they receive a relative amount of views on their videos.
--
About the FE talk, ironically I was more of a Marth fan myself. I mean, I really enjoy him in the games, but I do not feel the same in Smash. Roy is truly my boy. <3

I think it's fair to point out almost all of the channels on YouTube get some kind of revenue, as long as they receive a relative amount of views on their videos.
--
About the FE talk, ironically I was more of a Marth fan myself. I mean, I really enjoy him in the games, but I do not feel the same in Smash. Roy is truly my boy. <3
Monetization is optional, which is nice. As long as it's not touched on the channel, I don't believe there's anything else that generates revenue for the channel. If revenue is forced, I could probably think of a way around it. I could write to YouTube or any major figures who run YouTube to plead for staying nonprofit, or create other solutions that involve keeping the $$$ pure and unused.
--
I was able to truly appreciate Marth once I played New Mystery Emblem. Beautiful game, I'm forever salty about it never leaving Japan.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Monetization is optional. The Official PM YouTube is entirely unmonetized despite having ~50K subs and great viewership.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A channel? Interesting. If it is made, I could help with things such as the icon, banner, and maybe thumbnails. :p

Yeah, I think it shouldn't be monetized, even if it's optional, of course.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
+1 vote for PMDepot @SpiderMad

It's already got some legs on it and I think SpiderMad had mentioned in the past he'd be willing / looking for additional people to get in on it.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman

It's already got some legs on it and I think SpiderMad had mentioned in the past he'd be willing / looking for additional people to get in on it.
I second this. If not then at least a not to pm depot on this possible channel.

VinceX

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-7328-0581
His early aerials shall become our salvation.

As for the topic, while I do agree for creating a new PM centralised stream, I believe we should focus our efforts onto supporting the current streams that does support our scene.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Why should it stick to non profit? I'd say go for a full scale thing instead. Wait for someone to say don't do that and then step back instead of starting a step behind

CORY

wut
BRoomer

was about to mention this. 9bit beating me to the punch : o

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Question: Why do you need to make a new channel for streaming PM when there are countless other channels that already do that?

Juken

Smash Ace
If PM was one of the things that made VGBC get big in the first place, it should have no problem getting big with another stream.

The new stream would need some above average players, decent personalities who don't fake it like Sky at APEX (no offense to him), and decent production value so that the broadcast isn't at 480p with no scoreboard or template.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Between FS, HBA, TLOC, PMDepot, and the now growing popularity of not20xx (due to being the side stream of Apex), I think PM streaming will be fine.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The only channels you listed which have over a thousand subscribers are azprojectmelee (1,179 subscribers views), Windy City Smash (2,022 subscribers), and Tourney Locator (10,949 subscribers). Really, the only noteworthy channel you mentioned in terms of what actually gets decent attention is Tourney Locator, which are pitiful numbers compared to the amount of subscribers VG Boot Camp has. So the mere fact VG Boot Camp will not only no longer show anything from Project M, but remove those videos will significantly hurt Project M's popularity by a ton in the long run. Only Smash channel I can think of that comes close to VG Boot Camp in terms of popularity is CLASH Tournaments, but I don't think they've uploaded anything related to Project M in a long time.

Juken

Smash Ace
The only channels you listed which have over a thousand subscribers are azprojectmelee (1,179 subscribers views), Windy City Smash (2,022 subscribers), and Tourney Locator (10,949 subscribers). Really, the only noteworthy channel you mentioned in terms of what actually gets decent attention is Tourney Locator, which are pitiful numbers compared to the amount of subscribers VG Boot Camp has. So the mere fact VG Boot Camp will not only no longer show anything from Project M, but remove those videos will significantly hurt Project M's popularity by a ton in the long run. Only Smash channel I can think of that comes close to VG Boot Camp in terms of popularity is CLASH Tournaments, but I don't think they've uploaded anything related to Project M in a long time.
VG started out small too. That's the point of people saying "make a new one that'll get big off of PM and Melee just like VGBC, but where they won't 'sell out'."

Foo

Smash Lord
Yeah, with vgbootcamp not doing PM, that will hopefully leave a void where people go somewhere else to watch PM. Hopefully it doesn't just make a lot of people stop watching PM.

Anyway, here's a channel for the NC (and sometimes SC) scene. It started up very recently and hopefully will keep growing and growing. There's a lot of work being done for it atm. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7DE34pj8rtjFyAuHDtP7ew

Keman

Smash Apprentice
all of those channels are great and also one of my favs, don't forget about https://www.youtube.com/user/messinyclive
speaking of commentators Messi commentates some of the FS stuff as well as does the Salt mines stuff and interviews people within the community. he does it on twitch live but all is posted to his youtube channel there right after

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I honestly think this would be an unnecessary thing to do. Just because VGBootcamp is no longer producing doesn't necessarily mean there's going to be a drop in PM footage. We already have a multitude of other independent streams all over the country that feature PM matches and events, such as Clash Tournaments, Tourney Locator, Music City Smash, Xanadu, to name a few. With VGBC dropping out of the game that's just going to create a larger demand for the remaining channels to produce. I think we should try to make a database of dedicated PM streamers and just support them all on an individual level.

Top Bottom