• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data V-Canceling Thread

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
Velocity Canceling ('AerialGuard') is a global technique discovered by @achilles1515 on Oct 1 2015. With his permission I am creating this thread to serve as a hub for any future conversation about this technique since the announcement reddit will soon be locked. If there are any more breakthroughs/guides/content feel free to tag me in the comments and I'll edit it into the OP.

Left: with VC, Right: without (original GFY by Kadano Kadano http://gfycat.com/FailingOfficialAfricanharrierhawk you can see the R/L press better)

Original Explanation by Achilles1515
"V-canceling is the act of reducing the X & Y knockback velocity of a received attack by 5%. Requirements to perform v-canceling include:
  • Digital L/R button press within 2 frames of colliding with a hitbox (3rd frame is when the actual hitbox connects, and it is acceptable to have your input be first processed on the 3rd frame, which happens before the collision check is executed. Is this considered a two or three frame window?).
  • Player performing technique must be airbone.
  • Player's frames between L/R digital presses (after the L/R press mentioned above) must be higher than 40. Similar to the tech lockout window
  • Player must be in one of the following Action States when the collision with a hitbox occurs:
JumpF (first jump)
JumpB
JumpAerialF (second jump)
JumpAerialB
Fall
FallF
FallB
FallAerial
FallAerialF
FallAerialB
FallSpecial ("helpless" fall after up-b/airdodge)
FallSpecialF
FallSpecialB
DamageFall (tumble)
EscapeAir (airdodge)

For those interested, this velocity multiplier of 0.95 is located at hex offset 0xA170 in PlCo.dat. I discovered this new tech while reverse engineering some of Melee's code. [It] is quite easy to see the effects of the technique with Magus' Physics Display Mod (knockback velocity setting), which will also be included in 20XX 4.0.

...you CANNOT spam L/R for this!" -Achilles

Videos
V-Canceling: A Visual Guide by @PracticalTAS

How Useful is V-Canceling by @aMSa

Play SFX on V-Cancel Gecko Code
20XX 3.02 v-cancel SFX.dol

"Just open up your 20XX ISO in GCR and replace the Start.dol file with the one from above. I haven't totally tested this on console, so let me know if there are any issues. The SFX on successful v-cancel is a permanent mod (no debug option or anything) to help everyone learn the tech right now. Includes the "Menu Forward" SFX on successful v-cancel and also adds in the nametag shadow box code I wrote awhile ago, because it was really bothering me." -Achilles

Sources
"New Global Technique Discovery: V-Canceling! Reduce knockback velocity in select scenarios by 5%"
original Reddit announcement by @achilles1515
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/3n1kgf/

"V-Canceling: A Visual Guide"
Reddit thread by @PracticalTAS
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3n38us/

"How useful is V-cancelling? aMSa also made a video on V-cancelling that's a lot more basic and simple to understand"
Reddit thread by /u/RowanSSB
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/3n3wvm/

"Ingame Video Example of V-Caneling Actually Making a Difference"
Reddit thread by Kadano Kadano
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/3n2llf/

MIOM post announcing the Gecko code by @achilles1515
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MeleeItOnMe/permalink/701696493264755/

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've trained myself to DI when inputting an airdodge in case I get hit. The cancel is noticeable.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
That feel when you do advanced techniques without knowing. I knew, omg I knew it made a difference lmao, that's not just placebo. That's what you get for playing casually for 8 years. :p

Awesome, I'm going to share this around. Good job with the gif.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
That feel when you do advanced techniques without knowing. I knew, omg I knew it made a difference lmao, that's not just placebo. That's what you get for playing casually for 8 years. :p

Awesome, I'm going to share this around. Good job with the gif.
i didnt make the gifs, all credit to @Achilles1515

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
So this could potentially render jab>upsmash with fox an unviable kill option?

Nice

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
no, that is not what this is saying at all lol
Ok, but in the case of "20XX" with v-canceling, the percent window that jab>upsmash can kill at is pushed up, to a point that nair or bair would be a faster/less predictable kill option.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ok, but in the case of "20XX" with v-canceling, the percent window that jab>upsmash can kill at is pushed up, to a point that nair or bair would be a faster/less predictable kill option.
You cannot V-cancel during hitstun so it would only help if their jab usmash did not true combo. Even then, throwing out a quick attack to beat their usmash is probably going to be a better option. It's good to know you'll live a little longer if you get hit trying to airddodge out of pseudo combos though.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
You cannot V-cancel during hitstun so it would only help if their jab usmash did not true combo. Even then, throwing out a quick attack to beat their usmash is probably going to be a better option. It's good to know you'll live a little longer if you get hit trying to airddodge out of pseudo combos though.
Ok, so to better understand exactly how to v-cancel, I want to ask how amsa did it with fox in his video showcasing it. Did he press l/r right before he got hit by an upsmash out of his sideb while he was still in tumble?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Did he press l/r right before he got hit by an upsmash out of his sideb while he was still in tumble?
Yes. Have you ever gone to airdodge but got hit, and you thought for sure the airdodge should've come out first? You v-canceled then, unless you were late by 3 frames or more.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Ok, so to better understand exactly how to v-cancel, I want to ask how amsa did it with fox in his video showcasing it. Did he press l/r right before he got hit by an upsmash out of his sideb while he was still in tumble?
HOW to V-cancel is extremely simple. You just hard click one of the triggers (without spamming). If you don't know WHEN you are able to V-cancel, you should use Debug and look at the list in the first post with all the animations that allow you to do it.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Yes. Have you ever gone to airdodge but got hit, and you thought for sure the airdodge should've come out first? You v-canceled then, unless you were late by 3 frames or more.
HOW to V-cancel is extremely simple. You just hard click one of the triggers (without spamming). If you don't know WHEN you are able to V-cancel, you should use Debug and look at the list in the first post with all the animations that allow you to do it.
Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to try this out and look into it a little more in-depth for myself.

Top Bottom