• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilt testing, got some ideas and tactics.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
No one wants to get Spiked by Ganon.

Almost every smart player will up b through you, to the edge, or go above and airdodge.

This is where utilt comes in.

Utilt has some weird properties you may not know about.

1. It sucks them towards a center area, pushing them back and forth, about one dtilt in front of you.

2. It hits through the lip of FD and BF, etc.

3. It sometimes denies access to the ledge under unknown conditions to me. THis can suck characters in fall special under the edge, and drop them, or on to the stage and kill them, or even just mess with up bs in general.

Anyway, with some testing, I've come up with the following uses on FD and BF.

1. Against floaty characters that do not autograb the ledge, you can pull them up and over with the wind, or if on the very edge, sometimes hold them in place unable to grab the edge and nail them. Sometimes this will pull a character over the edge, not grabbing it, put them in landing lag, unable to do anything but either get hit, or if done too late, sheild. Done stupidly late, avoid alltogether. Timing and POSITIONING is key. Far enough back if you want them to get sucked over the edge and on the stage, far enough forward if you want to hover them in place and nail them with the very end of it, not really using the wind as much with earlier timing so they don't hit you first.

2. Hit with the explosion as they come up. Great on Jiggs, Kirby and MK. They shouldn't be there any because they could get spiked, but if you position it right an aerial won't hit you and right as they get close the explosion happens. This is quite useless against all but Jiggs though, as most will up b early or slam to the edge or go above if you start the move. Then again, MK will often try to stage spike you with up b, or get close to the edge with the down b or side b. All of which can be punished with this during the startup animations as it pushes him towards the "center" as he executes then hits him. DDD will hit you back or up b most of the time, so don't plan on it unless he's stupid. This can work on Rob and Pit too, especially if they get caught in a way that pulls them over or denies access to autosnap, and hits them. Pit especially in his up b.

3. This will pull characters that up b close to the edge under the lip for a gimp, and if in time for the explosion, a stage spike. The easiest character to do this too is Diddy. Take away his second jump and he shouldn't try to over b or he'll get hit. Once below the stage he will begin charging and usually let go after about half a second. Start the utilt as soon as he starts charging. He will slam into the stage lip and die, due to the suction and his own downward momentum from charging. Very situational. This also works on CF in rare instances and spacies dumb enough to firefox near the edge. It sucks them under and they fail, or barely grab, if not hit by the explosion.

4. Fall special. Jump out and jump back on, and some characters, like Marth, will anticipate an aerial. They will up b. If they up b above the stage and miss you because you jumped back, and you are already utilting, normally they would fall to the edge and catch it in fall special. The utilt sucks them away from the edge, and by the time they land, if they did up b,
they can at best sheild, but they mostly get hit in landing lag, especially DK.

For DK, jump out when he is higher than the edge, jump back in and watch his up b . His lag is so bad on landing that you can utilt right as the spinning stops. It will suck him in, he will land on his back, and you will blow his brains out with your heel. Also works on Bowser.

On DDD, they like to do up b early to protect from spikes, and you could utilt the landing, but it's very hard, and the stars get in the way. If they like to cancel it, and you didn't try to dair them offstage, and immediatley up tilt as they cancel, they will not grab the edge, but be sucked onstage and then hit.

Why is this better than Warlock punch?

In fall special, unless paralyzed like Marth, characters can have moderate to ridiculous control over fall special, and land behind you or even far away as you start it. Utilt sucks them towards you and DI is useless once they are a little above eye level.

5. Baiting fall special is good for this, but you can also nail tether users with the explosion as they hang ( easier to dair spike though) if close enough. If spaced so that you have about 1/3rd of the wind off the stage, or even half, sometimes TL, instead of tethering, will land in front of you with tether grab lag, and be hit. (TL has one of the best up b's to bait bTW, he goes so high up that you just wait till he's above your head in fall special then start the utilt, and landing lag will either punish him or the sheild. )

6. I haven't tested this officially yet, but rolling through an enemy with a laggy projectile and immediatley doing this works well. Bowser comes to mind. Roll behind fire breath and immediatley utilt, and he is often caught. This works on fsmash if you roll right at the button input, then utilt. He will lurch forward and and then be hit by it.

I need to test it on rollout, skull bash, and other over bs that send people at you, and see if it keeps them in place from behind. I doubt it.

HOW to set up for this?

Positioning is Key if you want to stage lip gimp them, or suck a floaty character in, where as in baiting fall special timing is easy, but fooling someone is key. Remember, no one wants to be daired, faired, or anything by Ganon. if you jump off the stage, they will either airdodge or up b, both of which can be sucked in with utilt. Don't be stupid though. They will do aerials, and if they up b, they will try to avoid you while in fall special, so wait till you know you have them. Often, Ganon ends up grabbing the ledge if you feint an aerial, so be sure to weave back onstage, and know your enemies recovery patterns.

This may pull Zelda to you during up b either before she dissapears or after. Another good one to bait is Wario, by jumping out and coming back. If you took away the second jump earlier, he will bike, if he bikes and is close, he will get sucked under, and if you have time and the explosion doesn't get him, hog, as he has to up b off the bike.

How do you get them off the stage for this?

Ftilt works wonders, and nair on the stage, or bair or even uair. Jab works too. To send them at a low angle, choke them near the stage and jab if you can. Since most people will either recover low with their up b or recover high if you jump out, try to trick them into up bing above you, because they expect you to dair and grab the edge, then chase. Ganon is all tech chasing. Seriously. If they fall for this then wisen up and recover traditionally, spike them as you always would, and laugh at their predictability.

Fthrow works well for this too. Fthrow, then dtilt or if you don't need to steal the second jump just jump out, jump back, and as they up b utilt. Even Lucario can be pulled to you as he goes for the edge.

Dthrow is great followed by nair to steal their jumps, then as they either try to fall below to up b hit them with something else, or if you jump and they up b , follow and utilt.

I know it sounds like I'm repeating myself alot, but I can't explain it well without vids, but go to training, put Diddy on lvl 9 or have a friend recover, and you will see what I mean, especially if you do it at different times and spacings.

Good luck.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Thats some pretty interesting information you've got there. I'll have to test out some of these ideas when I get the chance to. I've never really use Utilt before, so it would be nice to finally make some use out of it.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, gimpind Diddy or catching a Marth intending to catch the ledge with fall special with the upb that was supposed to hit you away is too good.

canswer

Smash Cadet
I DEFINATLY need to use U-tilt more..

I actually use Ganon punch(warlock punch) ALOT and i seem to land one for a kill almost once every two games or so... i really really enjoy short hop or double jump, 180 and 360 ganon punches they are very confusing to see coming at you... but thats off topic..

i will start trying U-tilt alot more near the edge this sounds very interesting, and useful with some practice

nice post

Meian

Smash Cadet
If this really does work against Diddy Kong, that'll be extremely useful since he is one of the harder ones I have to deal with.

Curious, does this work with Ike's aether too so that it sucks him in closer causing him to fall under the stage?

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
I loved using U-tilt against diddy, because it just seemed so easy to time it against him, but with what you just explained it sounded a lot more easier than just always guessing when to time it. Sounds interesting, but a little confusing. Think someone can get a video up soon?

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I got it to work on aether once. I got hit and then he died, but most of the time it's better to start one from the back of the ledge area as he chooses his get up attack of choice, or to do something else entirely.

The true use on Ike is to do it at the edge when he quickdraws....for instant death.

Unfortunately, try as I might, my video making software will not record brawl very well. If someone in this topic would like to continuosly converse with me here as they make a vid, I'd be happy to pick up a controller and go through every little detail, or even meet them online for some testing.

Anyone?

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Very interesting info.

Maybe this will make Ganondorf mainers use uptilt a little more often.;)

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but only if used correctly, and not on it's own. Jab, ftilt, fthrow and choke are your friends.

__V

Smash Journeyman
You may want to note that it has insane shieldbreaking power.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I meant more for edgegaurding, but if you can catch someone in a laggy move and their earliest option is to sheild, you can break it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Haha, before I read this thread, I actually gimped comboking's Ike with U-tilt while he was ledgehopping quickdraws. The vaccuum effect pulled him into the lip as he was charging quickdraw lol.

I have a replay of it, and in the same one, I pulled a reverse warlock punch on him when he tried to F-air me on our last stock.

Since it was a recovery, the crowd effect went *GASP* when I landed. I thoroughly agree.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Sounds like a reliable way to edgeguard, and gives utilt a good use. I like it. Good work.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I'm trying to goad someone into making a youtube video, because I cannot.

Maybe someone will step forward to make one...

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
NEW STUFF GUYS!

I've ALMOST figured out what denies access to the ledge, and also, at the ledge at low percents, do this, IT WORKS HALF OF THE TIME.

Step 1. Bthrow or Fthrow near the edge as possible.

Step 2. Down b. They should now have double jumped in panic if they have a recovery like Links.

Step 3. Due to lack of knockback, footstool or Dair.

Step 4. Sometimes they may airdodge if they are floaty and have good recovery. If so, go to step five.

Step 5. Over b.

Step 6. ?????

Profit.

You either hit the ledge or Ganon cide, and if you don't want that don't go for the over b, just jump and up b. you can also safely use the jump after down b to land dair.

At low percents on characters like Link, Zelda or Falco, they almost have no choice but to take the dair if the down b connects.

So once again, at low, especaily zero percent, fthrow or bthrow, down b, either dair, footstool, or jump dair backwards, then over b to stage or up b to stage.

Most of the time this spikes, especially characters like Mario. If they Jump even with the stage from afar,
you will nail them with down b, and the dair is almost free. If you fthrow them and they stop jumping or start airdodging, jump and over b back, then bair them over and over and edgehog them. Or safely return if MK.

I feel this deserves it's own topic, as I can go into great detail of options of what to do with the down b. The best part is, that at high percents, you can nail anyone even with the stage (use jab) and possibly KO
into the KO wall for a one hit wop.

I believe this is why Ganon has a lack of hitbox at the end of down b. So he can keep going forward and footstool, spike, or jab a mofo. I find bthrow more effective though.

Hell, scratch that. At low percent on some characters you can just down b dair and if they don't counter attack the airdodge often whiffs and you spike. If you know they will dodge uair and you may slightly Eddy spike.

Down b to off stage rules. The Dair is connecting more and more.

Hell, more damage for heavier characters to pull this off, and it's often better to down b their get up attack from close range and do this.

Also, I have found that you can replace the throws with jab, or over b to jab.

Also, for some characters this isn't just a wop or spike setup.

For Link and some others, move that sends at horizontal/ downb/ to return to stage pacifistly is a gimp. No need to spike Link or CF, they are GIMPED by this.

Actually, I'm liking the jab setup more.

Also, there seems to be a general rule.

The floatier they are, the LESS this works, and the more you have to DI up and BACK to nail them with dair, or the more you should just jump, then up b to stage spike them as they return or hog the edge.

If the are HUGE, then all that is needed is the down b to dair, and middleweights need jab to down b to dair, and characters with poor recovery just need jab to down b at the edge, and for small characters just get back after down b.

This is a bad idea against Pit, ROB, and MK btw.

I need to make a seperate topic and better organize, but you get the drift. It's not garunteed, as nothing is with Big G, except over b to certain moves on characters, but this works very well.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
I was experimenting it with a cpu in training mode at low %s wasn't able to really get the exact idea to work out. It sounds like it would be more possible to pull off on a human than a cpu. ><

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, lvl 9s predict based on button input and will fast fall every time you input down b and they are off stage, then jump.

However, on a human, if you land the down b, you should go for dair immediatley, or just return since you have already won if it is Link or CF.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, lvl 9s predict based on button input and will fast fall every time you input down b and they are off stage, then jump.

However, on a human, if you land the down b, you should go for dair immediatley, or just return since you have already won if it is Link or CF.
Nah I was just working with a lvl 1 falco lol...link and cf only? Usually when I do a down b on the ground and it goes off stage, it kicks them up though so you would follow up with maybe a uair? I'm a bit confused atm... :confused:

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could vid for you. Basically, you get them off somehow, and if they jump in line with the stage, you down b to hit them, and at LOW percents, it will end close enough and follow their DI, then you jump, dair, and return to stage. Not gauranteed, but neither is MK's fthrow to fair to upb either.

This kills greatly for me.

Also, on the stage, if you knock them off and they whiff a ledge attack and you are about roll distance away, you can down b to dair.

If you bthrow or fthrow to down b on Link or CF and it hits during the start of the second jump, they are BONED. Don't even Dair them. Just return safely.

I need to make an edgegaurding faq. When I get a new comp I will be all over the vids too!

Ganon will rise! To...mid tier if I have anything to say.

Gleam

Smash Ace
This sounds very intresting and I'm trying to put it into my game play. Gojira345, what characters besides CF and Link do you think that Ledge technique would work well on. I would think it would be good on characters like Bowser and Donkey Kong.

Finns7

Smash Ace
This works and it can kill. I did this in a replay and sent it to a2zomg he is going to upload them I think. There in fear of you dair them so they jump then simply hit down b and it sends them outwards. Another sick mindgame with ganon is when there in the air and falling down they will expect you to upair them and air dodge this is your chance to to use downb in the air and send them down to the ground or upwards which can kill them. Ganon is a **** party on wheels...murder wheels, you just have to know what music to play at the right situations.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Not good on DK.

They often spam up b before you can dair, and chew through you as you down b or even after it. You can still land it though.

Bowser is better because if you hit him at low percents you can often just edgehog or even land on the stage with up b then quickly utilt to land him in front of you instead of on the edge. You have to be FAST though.

If Olimar was dumb enough to let you jab him at the edge then double jump early you could down b to edgehog as well. Tethers usually just spam up b if close anyways though, so this only seems to work at kill percent anyway.

If you want to just gimp without dair, I'll try to think of other characters, but on non floaties the dair is almost garunteed (except DK)

Maybe Lucario. Down b to edgehog on second jump.

Guys, every move in Ganon's arsenal seems to be geared to either sending them off at a forward angle or fininshing the job. Your goal in life is not to tech chase them on the stage, but to tech chase them to get them off. Then your goal with Ganon ISN'T to dair by itself, it's to steal that second jump FIRST so that you can dair the up b, just edgehog, or even reverse up b stage spike punish as they evade you. Always try to steal the second jump first, then decide if you need utilt, dair, or down b. Or even uair on floaties.

Ganon is great for spiking, but once they've seen it they will avoid, well, if they avoid take that second jump if you can. I need to organize all this into a faq. Maybe Sliq can expand on these techniques and put them to better use. Maybe even find some situations where murder punch is better than utilt (doubt it due to utilts suction and range, and ability to gimp people by putting them BELOW the stage)

If you ask me, Ganon and Bowser and DK all play a great edgegaurd game, and Ganon's was designed to be the most rewarding. Even Bowser can fire gimp MK, DK has bair, cargo and 3 spikes, and if Ganon puts out Dair after stealing your jump, you will trade hits, and be spiked, no matter what your up b is like. WIth down b the way it is, you can also gimp or one hit WOP and still have the jumps to return.

Down b off the stage KOs some characters on FD and BF at about 80 percent. If they are a good projectile spammer.....user then you should be able to eventually over b, then jab, then follow up.

Finns7, thanks for trying to get a vid posted. If you would try out alot of the utilt stuff and record it along with the down b to dair stuff, people would better understand what I mean.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
HEY!

If someone with YOUTUBE uploading access will FRCODE me and such, I will send you replays that you can put on Youtube, demonstrating what I mean.

Finns7

Smash Ace
a2zomg has my replays and in some of my matches I do this. It worked on DK when I did it you just have to do it before the upb.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, DK mains like me though will spam up b if Ganon puts us offstage and is out there like a shark.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Flame Choke->U-Tilt for mindgames :chuckle:

Oh, and of course space yourself enough to avoid wake-up attacks. It's unconventional, but hey it's something.
That sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. There are so many ways people could catch you if you try to do that. Any player who is even marginally acclimated to ganon's moveset will have a little light go on in their head when they see utilt that says "KILL!" If it works for you, cool, but why risk it when you can do reliable follow-ups?

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, it's unconventional and has little application. Who wouldn't want to use a more reliable follow-up? I'm just throwing some new ideas out there. I'm pretty sure anybody who browses the board once in a while knows most, if not all of the better follow-ups. So what I'm trying to say is, lets try to think outside the box and come up with anything we can. Maybe there will be some use for it eventually.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Like I said, it's unconventional and has little application. Who wouldn't want to use a more reliable follow-up? I'm just throwing some new ideas out there. I'm pretty sure anybody who browses the board once in a while knows most, if not all of the better follow-ups. So what I'm trying to say is, lets try to think outside the box and come up with anything we can. Maybe there will be some use for it eventually.
I'm all for exploration, hoss...keep it up. Let's just not loose our s*** and go crazy. I just spent the better part of an hour today effing with utilt to see if there was ANYway I could interrupt it. I have this dream that one day we'll be able to utilt only for a few frames to vacuum opponents in and control spacing then cancel it into another move before the foot comes down. That would be so nice...edge guarding would never be the same. What gave me the idea? Who knows. But my point is, I, like you, want to unpack everything Ganon's got, and it's true we're going to come up with some pretty silly ideas along the way...It's sometimes good to nip them in the bud when they come up though.

PS - Find me a use for that gerudo -> utilt and I'll eat my hat.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
^ Lol I keep dreaming of u-tilt cancel too. God, how sexy would that be. I wish I could do so much with Ganon though...sigh, maybe some of it will come true. Keep trying to edge cancel F-Air but it never works.

Top Bottom