• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing Amiibo in Character Development

busken

Smash Ace

What is an Amiibo?

Amiibo are a series of figurines produced by Nintendo that are modeled after characters in various gaming titles. They interact with the game by near field communication(NFC) allowing data to be transferred in and out each game across various platforms.

How are they used SSB4?
Amiibo in SSB4 main purpose is to train them and battle them. By battling them they can level up to a maximum Level of 50. Your Amiibo is only as good as whoever they are facing, so this DOES NOT mean that a level 30 Amiibo can beat a level 9 CPU. Their are two ways to train your Amiibo. The first way is for them to play against the CPU of any level. As they play against the CPU they will keep leveling up and eventually consistently destroy level 9 CPU's. Another way to train Amiibo is to train them yourselves. You can go into 1v1 battles against the AI and continually battle them, and the same concept applies as they level up with each battle. By leveling up your Amiibo you can unlock in-game stuff like trophies, and stat upgrades that you can put onto your Amiibo.

How can we use it to develop our knowledge and gameplay of our character?

I think Amiibo can really open our eyes to our character because as they level up we can analyze the things they do and learn from them. By learning from them we can see ways of using our character they we may have never seen before. It will be interesting to see how the AI adapts to how we play and the techniques that we use. In the case of Peach, will the AI use floated aerials, zdrop turnips, or edge guard? I ignored the concept of this apparently childish figurine but I think it has the potential of us knowing more about our character in every way such as matchups, combos, approach and play style.

The Process:

In the section below all mains of different characters can train their Amiibo and share what they have learned from them. You can make your own thread for your respective main, or you can just freely discuss the concept, how they react, and what you can learn. Hopefully, we all can enjoy this experience and make our development of our character more consistent and strong.

Links
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsCQ7Gs4c8
http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo

ShasOkais

Smash Rookie
I touched upon a similar idea myself while I was training my Samus Amiibo. I realized that since they continue to learn, that if you repeat the exact same thing over and over, they will always win. So in order for a player to win again, you must try something else. This leads players to try different play-styles, or even to merge others with their own. On top of this, your Amiibo grows more skilled as you fight it. So assuming you are using the same character as it, the player must also grow in skill in order to continue winning. Because at some point you will run out of playing styles to use. And I believe that Amiibos are secretly just Nintendos method of selling us a smash bros trainer, that teaches you to play better.

To be honest, Lucario used to be my main until I bought a Samus Amiibo, which I purchased because I enjoy the Metroid series, and she is my favorite character. I already knew it was best to train an Amiibo as the same character it is, so of course I did so. In the process of leveling it from 1-50, I ended up learning a lot about Amiibos, Samus as a character, and my play-style as a whole. Without my purchase, theres no way I'd be as good as I am today. I'm still no pro, but I've come a long way.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
One big question I have about amiibo - if you consistently fail to pull off a technique but try anyway (for instance, I always try to hit Yoshi's fair spike, but always just miss), will it pick up on the intent, or will it just say "welp looks like sensei wants me to miss with this attack over and over"?

ShasOkais

Smash Rookie
One big question I have about amiibo - if you consistently fail to pull off a technique but try anyway (for instance, I always try to hit Yoshi's fair spike, but always just miss), will it pick up on the intent, or will it just say "welp looks like sensei wants me to miss with this attack over and over"?
Its kinda both. It will more or less do it exactly as you do. My Samus has actually been repeating my failed recovery, much to my regret. However, they don't just learn your moves. They also build upon them. So it might take that and think "this is how you're supposed to do it", or they might think "this is how he did it, but it sucks, so I'll do it better". I've seen both ways happen. As I stated before, I Samus picked up on a bad recovery of mine. However my Pikachu completely surprised me with some of its combos it has made, with me only laying out the framework.

I hope I was able to help.

Top Bottom