• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Junpappy

Smash Lord
That would be super cool if they threw in Jafaar, but in all honestly I can't see that happening...

Bobo, Jafaar is from Fire Emblem(7). WHAT A NOOB LOLOLOL!!!:laugh:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Lyn Shmyn. Fire Emblem is for losers. You're ALL a bunch of losers!

Anyway, when I'm up there, anyone interested in Pokemon battles? ^_^

Rafa-Son

Smash Rookie
Ah beaners super cool guys laying the swiss bacon cheddar on da mat!!!

yeah, at PC's place and decided to write something, AWESOME!@!#!

As for this week's tournament I work on saturday and most likely can't attend it- bummer... I really want to play friendlies to kill time and win money. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I was being ironic by calling people that play Fire Emblem lame, then challenging people to Pokemon. Since Pokemon is stereotypically lame, etc. (Not saying that anyone that plays Pokemon lame. I played Pearl. And I'm awesome.)

THE ONLY POKEMON BATTLES I'M LOOKIN' FORWARD TO ARE IN SMASH.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing.. the former!
And... is jafaar the assassin? I've played like all of the Fire emblems so.. yeah. Great games. Chimpokomon too.
Oh and rafa, nice to see you post :D. I like the avatar a lot... I flirted with the idea of making a site called www.sonicfansunite.com ... because sonic is just that awesome.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
There's been some inconsistency/unfairness of rules being discussed recently. And some of the rules are never really agreed upon my the majority.
For example, Xsyven has said in our conversation "Wobbling has been deemed 'acceptable' by the SBR (Smash Back Roomer). But it's not frowned upon to ban it in tournaments. But now I like to say 'Well, if you need the handicap, be my guest.'"
This coming from an ICs player isn't surprising, and I am in no way stating which side I'm on (at the moment), but I think that rules changes should be voted on by all the players (or at least by people who have showed up with some consistency recently).

I personally think that we should use MLG's rule set. Here is a simplified version of the MLG rules that will be used at Super Champ Combo:

GENERAL RULES
  • Double Elimination
  • Best of 3 Matches (Best of 5 Matches for the Finals)
  • 4 Stock, 8 Minutes Time Limit
  • Ties are broken by Lives, then Damage (if both are equal, then Sudden Death is played).
  • All Items and Containers are OFF.
  • A player cannot counter pick a stage that he/she has previously won on in that Set (either by picking or randomly), unless the opponent agrees on using it again.
  • Each player is allowed one Random Stage Reset per Set. If it re-randomly selects a stage that either player resets on, another random select takes place until it randomly selects one that was not reset.
TEAM BATTLE RULES
  • Team Attack are ON for Team Battles
  • Life Stealing Allowed
STARTING PROCESS RULES
  1. Each player selects their character (either player can call for a Double Blind Pick* at this time).
  2. Each player picks a stage and knocks it out of use for the entire Set (cannot knock out a Neutral Stage).
  3. The stage is chosen randomly and the match begins.
PROCESS RULES (CONTINUED)
  1. The loser(s) of the previous match decides to either choose the next stage or elect to choose it randomly.
  2. The winner(s) of the previous match picks their character(s).
  3. The loser(s) of the previous match picks their character(s).
  4. The match begins.
*Double Blind Pick: Called at the beginning of a Set. One person writes their character selection on a piece of paper or tells a judge. The other picks his/her character, then the first person reveals their selected character and choose that character.

Random Stages (Neutral Stages)
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Story
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (Singles ONLY)
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle (Doubles ONLY)
Banned Stages
  • Hyrule: Temple
  • Termina: Great Bay
  • Eagle Land: Fourside
  • Eagle Land: Onett
  • Super Flat World: Flat Zone
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
  • Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
  • Past Stages: Yoshi’s Island
  • Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Island (w/ Pipes)
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach’s Castle
  • Mushroom: Kingdom I
  • Mushroom: Kingdom II
  • Lylat System: Venom
  • DK Island: Kongo Jungle
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City (Doubles ONLY)
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (Doubles ONLY)

OTHER RULES
  • Only cosmetic modifications (paint jobs, stickers, designs, etc) are allowed. Controller with modifications to improve game-play are not allowed (disqualification from tournament will be enforced if you are caught with one).
  • Controllers with Turbo or Programmed Button options may be used, but those options CANNOT be used. If you are suspected of using those options, you will no longer be able to use that controller any longer.
  • Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (e.g. the Ice Climbers’ freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the battle or makes it impossible for the battle to be completed, are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
  • Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Doing this will generally result in you being forced to lose that stock.
  • In case of game freezes due to system malfunctions, the current match will start all over, no matter what the stock/damage was.

Anyone else agree that we should use MLG rules?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Actually, MLG rules also state that players are not allowed to coach each other during matches.

Heath, I don't understand you. You claim to hate wobbling, as everyone who participated in the Utah vs Colorado should know, yet you get mad when it gets banned?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Taking a "vote" on stage bans will lead to people voting for stages just because they personally do badly on that stage. Obviously some people wouldn't admit to it, though.

Also, did anyone else watch EVO world smash finals matches a sit through what would have been an exciting match except for the wobbling for all 4 stock?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Yeah, for those who are in favor of allowing wobbling (I'm not strongly opposed to it) keep in mind Utah's community isn't on a level where you can justify allowing wobbling for the same reasons that you can justify allowing it at national tournaments.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Taking a "vote" on stage bans will lead to people voting for stages just because they personally do badly on that stage. Obviously some people wouldn't admit to it, though...
I'm not saying to take a vote on the banning of specific stages. I'm saying that rules changes should NOT be up to just one person in the community to decide upon. And I've sort of started up an unofficial poll on the use of MLG rule set.

Gojira

Smash Lord
There's been some inconsistency/unfairness of rules being discussed recently. And some of the rules are never really agreed upon my the majority.
For example, Xsyven has said in our conversation "Wobbling has been deemed 'acceptable' by the SBR (Smash Back Roomer). But it's not frowned upon to ban it in tournaments. But now I like to say 'Well, if you need the handicap, be my guest.'"
This coming from an ICs player isn't surprising, and I am in no way stating which side I'm on (at the moment), but I think that rules changes should be voted on by all the players (or at least by people who have showed up with some consistency recently).

I personally think that we should use MLG's rule set. Here is a simplified version of the MLG rules that will be used at Super Champ Combo:

GENERAL RULES
  • Double Elimination
  • Best of 3 Matches (Best of 5 Matches for the Finals)
  • 4 Stock, 8 Minutes Time Limit
  • Ties are broken by Lives, then Damage (if both are equal, then Sudden Death is played).
  • All Items and Containers are OFF.
  • A player cannot counter pick a stage that he/she has previously won on in that Set (either by picking or randomly), unless the opponent agrees on using it again.
  • Each player is allowed one Random Stage Reset per Set. If it re-randomly selects a stage that either player resets on, another random select takes place until it randomly selects one that was not reset.
TEAM BATTLE RULES
  • Team Attack are ON for Team Battles
  • Life Stealing Allowed
STARTING PROCESS RULES
  1. Each player selects their character (either player can call for a Double Blind Pick* at this time).
  2. Each player picks a stage and knocks it out of use for the entire Set (cannot knock out a Neutral Stage).
  3. The stage is chosen randomly and the match begins.
PROCESS RULES (CONTINUED)
  1. The loser(s) of the previous match decides to either choose the next stage or elect to choose it randomly.
  2. The winner(s) of the previous match picks their character(s).
  3. The loser(s) of the previous match picks their character(s).
  4. The match begins.
*Double Blind Pick: Called at the beginning of a Set. One person writes their character selection on a piece of paper or tells a judge. The other picks his/her character, then the first person reveals their selected character and choose that character.

Random Stages (Neutral Stages)
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Story
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (Singles ONLY)
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle (Doubles ONLY)
Banned Stages
  • Hyrule: Temple
  • Termina: Great Bay
  • Eagle Land: Fourside
  • Eagle Land: Onett
  • Super Flat World: Flat Zone
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
  • Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
  • Past Stages: Yoshi’s Island
  • Yoshi’s Island: Yoshi’s Island (w/ Pipes)
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach’s Castle
  • Mushroom: Kingdom I
  • Mushroom: Kingdom II
  • Lylat System: Venom
  • DK Island: Kongo Jungle
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City (Doubles ONLY)
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams (Doubles ONLY)

OTHER RULES
  • Only cosmetic modifications (paint jobs, stickers, designs, etc) are allowed. Controller with modifications to improve game-play are not allowed (disqualification from tournament will be enforced if you are caught with one).
  • Controllers with Turbo or Programmed Button options may be used, but those options CANNOT be used. If you are suspected of using those options, you will no longer be able to use that controller any longer.
  • Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (e.g. the Ice Climbers’ freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the battle or makes it impossible for the battle to be completed, are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
  • Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Doing this will generally result in you being forced to lose that stock.
  • In case of game freezes due to system malfunctions, the current match will start all over, no matter what the stock/damage was.

Anyone else agree that we should use MLG rules?
I second that, except kongo jungle 64 on random in teams. but that is a nice ruleset.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
About the wobbling thing, in context of what PC and I were talking about, I brought it up just as a "LOOK WHAT I CAN SAY!" kind of thing. I don't even wobble in friendlies. Except for that last smashfest Devin and I had. >> And that's was because I was trying to piss Devin off.

As for MLG rules, I'm 100% all for it.

Each player picks a stage and knocks it out of use for the entire Set (cannot knock out a Neutral Stage).
FINAL DESTINATION IS AAAALLLL MINEEEE.

I second that, except kongo jungle 64 on random in teams. but that is a nice ruleset.
I don't mind Kongo Jungle at all, but if we make one exception, then people will want another. So I think we should stick to MLG rules to the T.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I guess I vote for the MLG rules, but only on the condition that alterations aren't made to tailor to individual players' preferences.

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Ok, Ima gonna need a ride to the tourney! Casture, you got room still!?!

If you do, can you plan for two people?? I'm going to bring along a friend if I can (he was at the Smashfest a few weeks ago, he was one of those playing as Luigi :))

So... if ya got room... I'd love to come with you!

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know he's taking me and my brother only so far so he should probably have room. As far as willing to drive down to spanish fork, I dunno. Send him a PM too :)

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to research that.. but I couldn't find casture's post where he said 'that makes 5' or something like that. if 5 is right, it's me + my brother, tj+his friend, and room for one more. If he was including himself in the 5, we're full up.. otherwise we may be including tsuteto :S.

Short version: I don't know, *shrug*. :lol:

Casture

Smash Apprentice
Oops, looks like it's that special unavoidable occasion :). 5 person car w/ 6 people. We'll just put 4 in the back seat. Hope everyone is fine with that and sorry for spacing about that. If that doesn't work that maybe one person could go with Louie2K2. I'm fine, though, with fitting 4 in my back seat.

slave1

Smash Lord
this sucks. if i cant get someone to cover my shift for the entire day on saturday i cant come to the tournement. so dont plan on me being there, man today has got worse and worse... grr.

anyways the play n trade tournements are every thursday. there is one on 12300s the tournements start at 5:00. if you get off the freeway it will be on the left side of the road. to get to it. get off the freeway at 12300s and head east towards the mountains. go up the raod two street lites, i think, there is a gas station on the left side. turn left. fallow the road and make a left at the round about. a little down the road is a entrance to the shopping mall area it is the first left. turn left into there. you have to go through the parking lot, towards all the shops. if you head back towards 12300 the parking lot funnels you towards play n trade. just drive around in there till you find it.:laugh:

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I think my brother might want to drive up with louie. that way we could be not quite so scrunched :). I'll run it by him when I get home in 2 hours and see what he says! Assuming, of course, Louie is okay with it. Which I assume :lol:

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Turns out i might be able to make it to this but

1. I would need a ride from the SLC Airport

2. I would need a place to stay on Saturday night and then a ride back to the SLC air port the next day (Sunday)

3. This isn't something i have to have but would people still be pitching in to help me pey for this like a few of you were saying before when i was planing on going to the 15th tournament. (It will cost me $45 to get there and back:()

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm picking up Xsyven+Hott at the airport on saturday morning, and driving them back sunday morning. If the bus times line up, then I'd be happy to give you a ride too.

Top Bottom