• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Actually, Tuesday, question about Wobbling. Whenever I'm in a tight match and I get a grab, I miss the wobbles because I get nervous and speed up the tempo. The same thing tends to happen to musicians performing. They get nervous and speed up. Ever had this problem? Any advice for overcoming it? I guess it'll just sort of come with time

And as a general question, what have been your guy's experiences with taking the springs out of your L buttons. Is it hard to do? I have the white gamecube controller and the l button is so stiff. I always shield while wavedashing, which really messes my ICs up cuz when I try to do a wave down smash I do a wave spot dodge because the L button gets held for too long.

So anyone have any experience taking the spring out of the L button? Is it hard? Does it make it easier to play?
You'll get it eventually. Once you get a grab, at first it's a nervous experience and you try to not mess it up. This is when you mess up. Eventually you get a grab and it's a relieving feeling and the rhythm is natural. As far as distractions go, I've practiced talking and singing offbeat songs while I wobble. Get a sort of polyrhythm going.

For the controller, DON'T REMOVE THE SPRINGS OMG THAT WON'T HELP AT ALL. The white controllers have stiff shoulder buttons because the black tracks they're on suck. Replace those with some from an older controller and you're golden.

#secretsrevealed

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hey, this thread is almost to page 1000 (based on my settings).

Reptilephantom

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
razi#494
When is the next weekend tourney around the slc Provo area? I usually can't make it to the weekday ones because of work.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
just wanted to let everyone know that the ratings for ssbpm at game den (provo) have been updated. @ Tsuteto Tsuteto shot up 8 spots by beating zygo and going undefeated. @Staz--not realizing that we were doing a swiss-style tourney--went easy on @ wangston wangston , which @ wangston wangston capitalized on. by beating @Staz once, @ wangston wangston went up 28 spots in the ratings and @Staz fell out of the money rank by getting 4th place in tourney :-p.

also, just wanted to wish those who are traveling this weekend a fun and safe trip. good luck in the tourney! represent!

@ Reptilephantom Reptilephantom if you're going to be at anime bonzai this weekend, there will be a tourney there. if not, the monthly at neumont is the weekend after. check the utah smash events doc for more info.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i made a post about a list of grievances in smash 4 over at the 3DS/Wii U forum. playing online w/ sinz last night gave me the idea

wangston

Smash Lord
just wanted to let everyone know that the ratings for ssbpm at game den (provo) have been updated. @ Tsuteto Tsuteto shot up 8 spots by beating zygo and going undefeated. @Staz--not realizing that we were doing a swiss-style tourney--went easy on @ wangston wangston , which @ wangston wangston capitalized on. by beating @Staz once, @ wangston wangston went up 28 spots in the ratings and @Staz fell out of the money rank by getting 4th place in tourney :-p.

Lol steve wishes he went easy on me. I went easy on him. I do like swiss because people who lose get to play more matches. It's not fun going 0-2 and being out of a tourney in 20 mins. However, I wish we would have played out the top four or something. Only losing once and not twice and the tourney being over just felt weird.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ya, i agree that it's weird. and it doesn't allow for exciting comebacks (like getting knocked into losers and then coming back to win it all). so i'm not sure if it would be good for the larger tournaments, but i think it's good for the smaller weeklies. since it doesn't last as long, it allows for people who are busier to attend. and the no player elimination is great! plus i have more time to play friendlies and stuff with y'all ;-).

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Maybe I played you last night or someone that did the same thing? I lost the first game to a Dedede as ness or CF that did that same stuff but when I switched to DK I won the next two. I just dashed attacked the gordos and knocked them back into the guy and punished the f smashes after waiting them out
I haven't played in days, actually. My tag is Nate, if you ever see that.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
Personally i would go but my parents are SUPER protective of me and i rarely get to do anything but weeklies at jets. if you guys want to come just for some fun we can maybe arange somethings and make it happen. ill be going to the byu weeklies sometimes too from now on because i convicced my parents that its "safer" if its at a church, there all for it. MORMON!!!!!
I know this feel.

Getting permission for EVO was a nightmare.

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So THESE are pretty nicely designed. It's too bad the item is not appropriate for the gender-group who takes up the majority of the target audience. (But I can't think of something a guy would wear that they could design that's would cost relatively low. A watch would work for the design, but that would skyrocket the price.)

EDIT: @ TheBuzzSaw TheBuzzSaw Maybe you can buy your wife a Link pendant? XD

Last edited:

devo_

Smash Apprentice
Hey sorry if this is the wrong place for this, I'm still pretty new around the boards. Is there a list or schedule of melee/project m tournaments here in Utah? I've searched around and I cant find anything..

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
So I just beat a Fox online as Falco, and when Falco wins he says "You're off your game, Fox." It's not a big deal but I thought it was a cool feature

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I know this feel.

Getting permission for EVO was a nightmare.
I remember back when I had to get permission to go to out-of-state Brawl tournaments. Good thing I lived with my dad and was 17. It also helped that the guys I was going with were quite a bit older and my parents liked them. Probably viewed them as sort of mentors.

Man... life gets so much better when you're out of your parents house.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
I would like to submit my entry for the best wii in Utah/The world contest
shots fired at @ N nqztv (will you be at Neumont? we should get some smash 64 in, it's way better with a gc controller)

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
you're alive @ SoapSuds SoapSuds ?! i haven't seen you in forever! i hear you're at UofU these days, yes? ya, i'll definitely try to make it out to neumont. and am i supposed to be impressed that you used priiloader to autoboot into usb loader gx? nah, jk. that looks legit. a nice lean smashing machine. i should probably set my system up like that since people seem to have a hard time using my wii :-p. too bad my memory stick--which looks exactly like yours--is too small to hold two copies of brawl and melee :-/. do you have smash 64 running on an emunand and melee running off nintendont?

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
@ N nqztv , I knew you would know what was up!

I am at the UofU. Very much looking forward to a weekly location near trax since the car I was driving to provo with is with my sister now and trax is my only real form of transport. I'm going to be in Alpine once I move back home for the summer, so it should be easier to go to either event.

My setup is just what you described, smash64 on emunand, melee with nintendon't, preloader autoboot. I was thinking about using crazy loader to have reggie say he will kick your ass, but I haven't done that yet ;p. PM is done with the iso from the netplay guide, and I found some files to change the game code for the 20xx iso so that it could have its own cover and codes. That stick is 32gb so there is plenty of room for 2 copies of brawl, though I am starting to run out of space.

Serious thanks for keeping the spreadsheet up to date otherwise I might have missed Neumont completely >.>

Lumosat

Smash Cadet
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto would you be willing to bring your magic triwing tools to the Smash Jam so I can swap the black L and R button tracks in my white controller out for ones from an older controller

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I like how the thread died right as we were approaching 1000 pages. I thought it would turn into an old-fashioned 4chan get war.

Reptile (Kira)

Smash Rookie
Okay just to clarify: Weeklies at Provo will be $5 venue and no entry fee, and if you bring a setup the venue fee is waived, and it'll be a round robin tournament rather than a double-elim.

Also, 1000 pages GET!

Edit: ohhhh maaaaaannnnn!

You totally read that in a Swiper voice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom