• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
So here is my plan of Neumont (I will gladly take your thoughts on this): I plan on having Lucas, Roy, and Ryu legal as it will have been a month since their release. However, I am not sure as to handle the stages. I plan on having miiverse follow the omega rule: ban battlefield, miiverse is also banned. I want to make Dreamland legal, but that would then throw a wrench in the Evo striking style, meaning I would have to pick a list of starters/cp (oh well). However, at 10 stages at that point, I almost feel that we should increase the bans to 3. What is your opinions on this?
It's either both or none legal imo to make the striking work.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Peach mains
We should get Peach mains all over to take this "assessment."
So here is my plan of Neumont (I will gladly take your thoughts on this): I plan on having Lucas, Roy, and Ryu legal as it will have been a month since their release. However, I am not sure as to handle the stages. I plan on having miiverse follow the omega rule: ban battlefield, miiverse is also banned. I want to make Dreamland legal, but that would then throw a wrench in the Evo striking style, meaning I would have to pick a list of starters/cp (oh well). However, at 10 stages at that point, I almost feel that we should increase the bans to 3. What is your opinions on this?
Here's my problem with the new stages: We already have so many like it, that it would nullify counterpicking.

**CURRENT**
Battlefield: Classic mid-sized three platform stage
Final Destination: Classic mid-sized flat stage
Smashville: Akin to Final Destination, but the platform adds a dynamic change
Town and City: Kind of like Smashville, but more dynamic
Lylat Cruise: Smaller than Battlefield slightly, and difference in the platforms
Duck Hunt: Counterpick, vastly different
Halberd: Counterpick, rather static save for background interference
Castle Siege: Counterpick, vastly different
Delfino Plaza: Counterpick, vastly different

**Considering the two new (viable) stages:**
Miiverse: Basically a hybrid between Battlefield and Lylat Cruise, resembling more so to Battlefield in structure
Dreamland: Since they decided to make it a small stage, it's exactly like Battlefield save for Whispy.

If anything, Miiverse shouldn't be included because it's not enough different between the other two. Dreamland could be simply because of Whispy, which if that was the case, we'd be looking probably replacing Lylat Cruise (due to tilting) as a neutral. But honestly, as much as I love Dreamland, it's a clone stage at this point.

As my tournaments have been the opinion of, the way Evo does striking is stupid. Understandable for them, but stupid. Hell, 2 stocks 6 minutes is stupid too. I've kept pretty close to it's ruleset, but Utah will probably see a vast change come after it for the weeklies.

Ultimately with these stages, they're not necessary in the sense of adding nothing more to the game than the standard. Dreamland was an optimal choice earlier because of the large size, but without that, it's nothing too much. It's almost exactly like Battlefield with a stage hazard. Hell, Lylat is the same category since the ledge update. But Lylat has the platform level difference, whereas Dreamland doesn't. The current neutral game is, effectively, as effective as it gets. I have a feeling all that will change after Evo too, though.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
PROVO SMASH DEN WEEKLY:

Smash for Wii U at 6, Melee at 8. $5 venue, $3 entry. Venue waived for bringing full Wii U set up (system, unlocked game with Mewtwo, GameCube adapter). Extra characters allowed if both players agree at start of match.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
It sounds good. People'll have hopefully enough practice with the new chars that it would
Eight stocks three minutes, let's gooooo
I'm embarrassed to say it took me a second to see this.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Real shoutouts -
Shoutouts to Denny's Drake

SO to Kymira and Soccermom for being cool dudes and to Soccermom for showing me why pikachu is the best character in 64
SO to Rocky's Rockable reading of Christian literature. Plus bodying me for 3 games in a row after I agreed to a best of 5 like the legend he is.
SO to John for driving and running bracket(lol)
SOs to RVKUS for losing to me in bracket (that was a 20$ MM fool) and Steamfried for losing to 941 so I wouldn't have to play him in bracket.
SOs to ADLP for getting better in Vegas and playing a real character against falcon.
SOs to 941 for being a really impressive ICs but also for not wobbling me (I would have lost 100% for sure) and for putting steam fried out so it wasn't top 4 nortah falcons.
SOs to Steamfried for ruining that dudes 64 stick (Not yours though @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 ).
SOs to the Yogurt shop venue and all the customers and the manager for not kicking us out.

Super fun car ride on the way there and the way back + I got to watch Pineapple Express finally.

I have my 64 adaptor so I expect 64 MMs from both @ SteamFriedAsian SteamFriedAsian and @ RVKYS RVKYS next time I see them at an event (I'll even mm you at @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 's house if he's down).

Win my money before you leave @ RVKYS RVKYS , I dare you. I'll beat you on your counter pick 4 more times.

Last edited:

sonus

Smash Cadet
We should get Peach mains all over to take this "assessment."

Here's my problem with the new stages: We already have so many like it, that it would nullify counterpicking.

**CURRENT**
Battlefield: Classic mid-sized three platform stage
Final Destination: Classic mid-sized flat stage
Smashville: Akin to Final Destination, but the platform adds a dynamic change
Town and City: Kind of like Smashville, but more dynamic
Lylat Cruise: Smaller than Battlefield slightly, and difference in the platforms
Duck Hunt: Counterpick, vastly different
Halberd: Counterpick, rather static save for background interference
Castle Siege: Counterpick, vastly different
Delfino Plaza: Counterpick, vastly different

**Considering the two new (viable) stages:**
Miiverse: Basically a hybrid between Battlefield and Lylat Cruise, resembling more so to Battlefield in structure
Dreamland: Since they decided to make it a small stage, it's exactly like Battlefield save for Whispy.

If anything, Miiverse shouldn't be included because it's not enough different between the other two. Dreamland could be simply because of Whispy, which if that was the case, we'd be looking probably replacing Lylat Cruise (due to tilting) as a neutral. But honestly, as much as I love Dreamland, it's a clone stage at this point.

As my tournaments have been the opinion of, the way Evo does striking is stupid. Understandable for them, but stupid. Hell, 2 stocks 6 minutes is stupid too. I've kept pretty close to it's ruleset, but Utah will probably see a vast change come after it for the weeklies.

Ultimately with these stages, they're not necessary in the sense of adding nothing more to the game than the standard. Dreamland was an optimal choice earlier because of the large size, but without that, it's nothing too much. It's almost exactly like Battlefield with a stage hazard. Hell, Lylat is the same category since the ledge update. But Lylat has the platform level difference, whereas Dreamland doesn't. The current neutral game is, effectively, as effective as it gets. I have a feeling all that will change after Evo too, though.
Dreamland has smaller blast zones than battlefield and the platforms are higher. It is quite a bit different and should be added.

Miiverse has the same blast zones as battlefield and only slightly different platform size and main platform size so is hardly different but is slightly. It's harder for pika to platform cancel his up b. I say this is banned if BF is banned.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
I have my 64 adaptor so I expect 64 MMs from both @ SteamFriedAsian SteamFriedAsian and @ RVKYS RVKYS next time I see them at an event (I'll even mm you at @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 's house if he's down).

Win my money before you leave @ RVKYS RVKYS , I dare you. I'll beat you on your counter pick 4 more times.
I'm fine with that! As long as I have a crt, anyways (I probably will hold onto @Death Arcana's for a little while)

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Hey @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 neumont is likely going to be last tournament, but with the times what they are I won't be able to attend melee. I fly in from a family vacation on that Saturday at 3:00, so I'd only be able to make smash 4. if you could reconsider the times I would be MUCH appreciative.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Hey @ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 neumont is likely going to be last tournament, but with the times what they are I won't be able to attend melee. I fly in from a family vacation on that Saturday at 3:00, so I'd only be able to make smash 4. if you could reconsider the times I would be MUCH appreciative.
Unfortionately, the reason I have the schedule like it is is for the melee people who plan on going to @Ken Neth's wedding reception. If your plane gets in at 3, I could possibly enter you and try to hold off your first match for as long as possible

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Unfortionately, the reason I have the schedule like it is is for the melee people who plan on going to @Ken Neth's wedding reception. If your plane gets in at 3, I could possibly enter you and try to hold off your first match for as long as possible
Okay dude I understand. I think I can realistically make it by 3:30 so we will just plan on that. Hopefully it works out!

Dnae

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0104-2706-5564
Is anyone going to evo?? My car crew kinda bailed. Im down to either drive and get some people to go with me, or pitch for gas and go with someone else. I bought a ticket a while ago and dont wanna go by myself

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Edit: Nevermind. I guess now that I've posted I have to actually say something. Uhhhhhh who do you guys think is going to win CEO?

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Nevermind. I guess now that I've posted I have to actually say something. Uhhhhhh who do you guys think is going to win CEO?
you must be asking about melee cuz asking who would win smash 4 would be stupid. PPMD there? if so that would be sick to see him show up out of the blue again and win it all
Edit: Seeing abate and vudujin teaming up in doubles made mah day

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i haven't taken the time to deeply analyze the stages, but i can already see that it's far from objective.

"Delfino is too fresh and too interesting not to keep" a big fat rasberry to that :-p.

it's clear that they hate yoshi's island with a passion.

does castle siege still have the statue room transformation? cause if so, i don't think it should be a starter. that transformation is almost as dumb as the fire and rock transformations in melee's pokemon stadium.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Castle Siege No longer transforms.

I do like the fresh aspect :p I think its a fun idea. But I want everyones input as to what we should do for our own rule sets.

ps I still want my game.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
delfino shouldnt replace dreamland imo but overall it sounds "fresh" lol

i dont practice PM though so idrc

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
So how about

Starters are
Castle Siege, Dreamland, Battlefield, Ps2, Smashville

Counterpicks are
WarioWare, Green Hill Zone, Norfair, Final Destination

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Castle Siege as a starter. The incline in the middle of the stage seems a bit weird to me. I would also like to see FoD as a counter pick, but that's mostly because I really like that stage.

My Proposed Stagelist-
Starters:
PS2, Smashville, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland

Counter Picks:
Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone, Final Destination, Norfair, WarioWare.

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
G&W + Shiek combo in sm4sh doubles is disgusting.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine having Delfino as a starter as it is now completely different (NOT Brawl delfino). It starts out in the triangle platforms and then the platforms move in a reasonable format, with the middle one disappearing every once in a while. The main argument right now for having CS as a starter is that it is a small stage; if that is the case, and people feel that the slope in the middle is not good for a starter, then I would switch Green Hill Zone and CS, making the list:

Starters
Green Hill Zone, Delfino, Battlefield, Ps2, Smashville

Counterpicks are
WarioWare, Castle Siege, Norfair, Final Destination

In teams I would replace GHZ and CS for Dreamland and Distant Planet

Last edited:

Shane M

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrchoochootwain
3DS FC
4656-8139-1796
I was hoping for Ness/Villager to win the sm4sh doubles, but now EVO has to deal with B U C K E T B O Y Z.

Top Bottom