• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Nana as bait

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
What are the best ways to use Nana as bait? I've noticed top IC mains like NIntendude desync Nana into a dash or down-B to provoke an action, but what do you usually do?

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Something I do a lot is dash around with ICs to make Nana get in front of Popo. Dash dance, foxtrot, wavedash forward to back dash. Because Nana will move a few frames after Popo, you can make her stay in the front by doing a dash towards your opponent and then dash away again.

An example: You dash towards a Fox with both Climbers. He reacts and approaches with a short hop nair. You dash back again so that Popo barely avoids the nair while Nana still gets hit by it. Then you punish the Fox with a smash or by dashing towards him again with grab. Best case scenario: The nair sends Nana into the air, you get a grab and do a pummel with Popo, and Nana gets back on ground just in time to do a f-tilt. I've got a lot of low procent wobbles against many different characters by doing stuff like this.

But in general speaking, when ICs are desynced in most likely any way you should abuse the fact the your opponent probably is going for Nana. Predict how he is doing to hit her and punish him. Always stay ready to wave dash in while Nana is getting combo'ed.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Let Nana get hit to extend the opponents hitbox and hitlag(or what the correct term is) and just grab with popo, or the other way around even though that is more effective in brawl since you have more control in that game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Basically what Tomber said in his second paragraph; Nana is always bait, it's not a matter of specific ways to use her as bait, but rather using the fact that your opponent wants to hit her as a factor in all of your decisions.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't usually use Nana as bait on purpose other than desync'd blizzards and ice blocks, which isn't really bait. It's just meant to provoke a response that I might be able to capitalize on (or sometimes opponents are dumb and run into her blizzard). Usually, "baiting" is simply me trying to save Nana when separated - people tend to leave themselves open when trying to kill Nana. I don't intentionally create these situations.

Top Bottom