• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for Perfect Pivoting, Foxtrotting, Dashdancing

Do you think these Movement AT's can enhance Luigi's gameplay?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

busken

Smash Ace
There has been a lot of talk about these 3 movement AT's for a while now, and I wonder what you guys think about them and how we can best apply them in battle. I think all of these have potential and can be implemented into Luigi's game since he struggles with approach and range which these methods help to aid in. These movement options are all explained in-depth here: http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-pivot-foxtrotting-dashdancing.371139/

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I use foxtrotting a lot with Luigi. I'd go as far as to say it's essential to playing him well. Dash dancing is useless with all characters against opponents who keep a cool head. Perfect pivoting has some utility, especially for Luigi, but it's very situational. I'm not convinced pp is worth learning yet.

busken

Smash Ace
I use foxtrotting a lot with Luigi. I'd go as far as to say it's essential to playing him well. Dash dancing is useless with all characters against opponents who keep a cool head. Perfect pivoting has some utility, especially for Luigi, but it's very situational. I'm not convinced pp is worth learning yet.
Ok, but what do you gain from foxtrotting that makes it viable in situations more then just dashing? Also, even the best players can easily get punished due to pressure. http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:MangoDD.gif To an extent, i agree that perfect pivoting is situational, but being able to punish OOS when you get pushed to far, as well as catching landings is definetly worth learning.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Foxtrotting allows Luigi to cross distances relatively quickly, and more importantly, move in the opposite direction without relying on rolls or spending a whole second skidding to a halt. It's very helpful when trying to punish a landing opponent, and it's also nice to have the option to throw something besides grab, dash, and uSmash on your approach.

That gif is from Melee. It doesn't work the same way in Smash4 due to the existence of input buffering. You can still try to mindgame someone with dash dancing, and I'm sure you'll get them sometimes (though much less with Luigi than Fox). Just be aware that eventually you'll run into someone like me who ignores that kind of mindgame completely, and if you're lucky you'll only take projectile damage. Perfect pivoting is actually better for psyching someone out the way dash dancing used to, but even that is very limited in usefulness.

Pando

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandoSJ
Kind of unrelated but are there any Luigi mains who can reliably PP and link it into other moves, say >90% success rate?

Unlike wavedashing, which I reckon you could pick up in a few afternoons, the physical motion for PP-ing is so incredibly precise that I can imagine it would be difficult to pull of reliably in the heat of the moment.

Hell, in Melee, outside of some crazy Fox **** there wasn't that much that required single-frame precision.

busken

Smash Ace
Kind of unrelated but are there any Luigi mains who can reliably PP and link it into other moves, say >90% success rate?

Unlike wavedashing, which I reckon you could pick up in a few afternoons, the physical motion for PP-ing is so incredibly precise that I can imagine it would be difficult to pull of reliably in the heat of the moment.

Hell, in Melee, outside of some crazy Fox **** there wasn't that much that required single-frame precision.
Perfect Pivot is just another form of movement, so you can do it into almost anything. You can PP into grabs to start throw combos, PP into uptilts to start combos, etc. The main use of perfect pivot is as a spacing tool, and getting a combo out of it is just a bonus.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm honestly waiting until the next patch seriously train with pp. Not convinced that it won't get DACUS'd.

busken

Smash Ace
I'm honestly waiting until the next patch seriously train with pp. Not convinced that it won't get DACUS'd.
Are you saying that it will get Patch'd? If so they is highly improbable because they would mean changing the way characters move in the game. Also sakurai confirmed that the next patch, if it would happen, would be online based.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Are you saying that it will get Patch'd? If so they is highly improbable because they would mean changing the way characters move in the game. Also sakurai confirmed that the next patch, if it would happen, would be online based.
If they wanted to patch perfect pivoting out, it would be very easy to do so since it is a technique which is achieved with input buffering. Lots of people assumed DACUS was safe once Smash 3DS was released. Draw your own conclusions.

busken

Smash Ace
If they wanted to patch perfect pivoting out, it would be very easy to do so since it is a technique which is achieved with input buffering. Lots of people assumed DACUS was safe once Smash 3DS was released. Draw your own conclusions.
I never assumed anything about the return of DACUS, and I strongly believe in my own conclusions. However, I didn't know it was achieved by input buffering thanks for letting me know.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
It's technically possible to do it with frame-perfect timing, but it would never gain mass appeal that way. It's already too hard for most people to do reliably.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I find fox trotting to be the most useful. If you can time it right (it really isn't too difficult with some practice) you can do a nice fox trot straight into a shield. It's a mix up option for approaching if you find yourself relying too much in a fire ball or short hopping. Opponents will often try to attack first and then shield so if you get inside with a fox trot shield, be ready to grab them out of their shield. It's a fairly safe way to approach, but not one you want to abuse.

Top Bottom