• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for Egg Lay

bobson

Smash Lord
Ledgedropping it on heavies like Wolf always puts them in a bad spot and it's useful in a few cases as a quick forward-reaching aerial, but what else is there? Egg Lay > dtaunt?

Also, what's the most damaging combination to use, should you pull it off on the stage?

JOE!

Smash Hero
i use egg lay as a spacing move, and it gets them in the air for airials

nice combo starter and gimper is some situations

also makes for a funny edgegaurd :p

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
sometimes i try to use it on someone trying to edgeguard me but doesn't always work out heh

Gindler

Smash Champion
Snake standing on edge mortar guarding, egg lay. Just usually people standing on the edge who have limited edgeguarding tactics.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
its teh mind games lol

i usually use the djc egg lay and catch my opponent off guard, get in a better position and take a breather

also egglay->dsmash pwns olimar.

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
The egglay is also effective vs enemies with a much better ground game than air game (Snake).

The egglay is good against enemies with low priority down airs (Kirby).

In team battle, and trust me, this will happen VERY rarely, the egglay can be used to give them an extra boost if team attack is on, without threatening them with an out of screen experience.

The egglay is a hardcore mindgame because it has shorter range than yoshi's dashgrab. An opponent may dodge the egglay a few times, only to get dashgrabed later cause they thought "That was your grab...."

The egglay edge pull works amazing wonders against Snake. Seriously, you WILL pwn him if you can do it. Either the pull works and he's sucked under the edge, or you accidentally swallow him, however, the momentum from the egglay will cause him to stall in the air for a second if he goes immidiately for Cypher.

You can egglay through Mach Tornado. If you can get metaknight away from that move, more power to you. It also wins vs his dash attack, and outranges his downsmash.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how the egg lay is good against kirbys down air at ALL, you'll never be in a situation to use it if he is down airing.
It's a good mindgame, but much better when you DJC, no good opponent who has ever played a yoshi for more than 30 seconds will think egg lay is your grab.
The edge pull is eh against snake unless you can follow it up with a grab.

It IS pretty good against MK

SOVAman

Smash Hero
That's not always true. I've been in like 14 or so tourneys with items. I've even heard of some big ones where the stage is set to random. the rules aren't set in stone.
What are you like 10 and go to gamestop tourneys the rules are set in stone sorry to tell you

yoshistrings

Smash Rookie
Gamestop has tourneys? news to me. I go to whatever tourneys I can find. Noob tourneys to expert tourneys, I'll take whatever I can get. Where I live, they're real tough to come by. And if you think I'm a noob, fight me. but don't say I didn't warn you when you're begging for mercy ;)

Airborne

Smash Lord
Gamestop has tourneys? news to me. I go to whatever tourneys I can find. Noob tourneys to expert tourneys, I'll take whatever I can get. Where I live, they're real tough to come by. And if you think I'm a noob, fight me. but don't say I didn't warn you when you're begging for mercy ;)
you're saying this to lilb..... someone who beat chudat with flipping spamming....... with yoshi........ yeah, you'll get your *** kicked....
but yeah, egg lay is great; it's olimar's primary weakness, great for mindgames, and edgeguarding as well. and since we don't have a grab-relase to spike on wolf, what better way to finish him off than to egg lay off the stage after? =D and DJC egg lay is THE ****. i accidentally used the super armor in it to egg lay Ness FTW's wario. XD

also, since egg lay stops DJ's momentum, it's great to return to the stage with on such stages as lylat cruise and battlefield, because of the several opponents interpreting that you'll return on a platform instead of the bottom. =P

yoshistrings

Smash Rookie
I'm absolutley sure I could beat him. No one's bested me before.
anyway, we could go on talking about egg lay forever, as its advanced uses are practically endless.

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
What are you like 10 and go to gamestop tourneys the rules are set in stone sorry to tell you
I agree that they pretty much are set in stone, but it is sand stone. (Sorry bad analogy) cause no tournaments I go to use items, but things like stage choices change fairly often, like is Lylat a neutral stage, do we do random or strike out for picking stages, and certain CPs are different like say Yoshi Islan (Melee) some use it and some dont.

Back to Egg Lay, I saw the vid on youtube of using it on Wolf at the tip so u don't actually eat them then footstool them. Pretty Epic

And YoshiStrings you do really sound like a 10 year old, talking trash over the internet is complete garbage.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
you're saying this to lilb..... someone who beat chudat with flipping spamming....... with yoshi........ yeah, you'll get your *** kicked....
Thanks for the complement

and btw yoshistrings if you live in Md/Va and go to any tourneys then i will be glad to 3 stock you

I'm absolutley sure I could beat him. No one's bested me before.
you just made yourself sound like a scrub

Krooton

Smash Cadet
I used it on a snake player once at the edge and he slipped underneath smashville and died I was laughing so hard lol

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
its da best move int the game what do u mean "uses for egg lay", but really its a surprise attack that can well ... can surprise u. bwett uses it well with his dragonic egg lays i find it good to punish a foe that landed on the ground cause they either shield attack or spot dodge and if u can at them theyll most likly shield or spot dodge so 50/50 chance find there pattern

Chaco

Never Logs In
*cough*

Lil'b is good. We know this.

We have no proof on you strings. Proof or nothing.

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
That AT that pulls them in with egg lay but does not swallow them then you can footstool is way too good, I just really need to practice it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That AT that pulls them in with egg lay but does not swallow them then you can footstool is way too good, I just really need to practice it.
It's pretty impossible to practice since the cancel is unknown on exactly how to do it. But I did notice when playing a Kirby, he tends to cancel it a lot more. Odd.

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
You have to get him with the very tip of the tounge. The whole animation has a preset timer, and if you outlast one (IE: it takes too long for him to get into your mouth), the game freaks out and both players stall.

Snake's grab and release animation is long enough and big enough to where he'll usually land under the stage, and not be able to recover with his 2nd jump alone. He has to resort to Cypher, which doesn't provide him the momentum to land perfectly, and Yoshi can almost always punish him for it (including another grab realse if you make it to land, which you should).

metlwing

Smash Rookie
during tough fights when I need a breather, I will suddenly use it near an edge. It is so simple a move that it ussually surprises my opponents, and they end up actually falling off the edge encased in an egg.

Top Bottom