• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Useless) Instant B-Air?

homiedixon

Smash Rookie
I posted about this in the Q&A thread a few days back, but I haven't had anybody explain it yet and not knowing is really bothering me. Maybe my explanation of how to do it was a bit too vague. In short, this is what I'm referring to:

Certain characters can perform an instant bair by rolling up to the ledge, making sure you're facing away from it, then quickly run off the stage and bair (if you're on the left edge, its :GCL: then immediately :GCR::GCA:). I haven't been able to do it with the C stick, probably because :GCR::GCA: is drifting you back towards the stage. The timing is pretty precise, if you do it slightly too late your character will end up hopping back towards the middle of the stage. You can see this in the video, whenever it looks like Luigi or Bowser are jumping.

The pool of characters I've been able to do this with is very small, though I havent tested the entire cast.

Can insta-bair::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4pikachu:

(Maybe?) Can't insta-bair::4yoshi::4bowser::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac::4link::4zelda::4kirby::4wiifit:

The reason I said that it's useless is because you don't have a hitbox come out during this.

Despite this, I'm curious to know if anybody can explain what's happening. If I had to guess, I'd say the characters that can do it have bairs that move enough of their models for them to be considered more on-stage than off, despite them technically being in the air. However, because this requires such quick inputs, I would've assumed that a character like Luigi would auto-cancel his bair, since it can AC within the first 2 frames. It also would seem odd that characters like Rosa or Wii Fit wouldn't work for this, I would assume their bairs would stretch really far onto the stage.

From what I can tell, this can be done on most if not all legal stages. I found it originally on Omega Midgar, and it also works on Duck Hunt, FD and Omega Battlefield.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
Its basically the landing animation for the backair. nothing more nothing less. Since youre about to go offstage youre in the air, use a back air and it shifts you hitbox so that youre back onstage. its not that complicated.

Top Bottom