• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful Links For New Players

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Also

Google.com

^ Can't even tell you how much that one has helped me over the years.

Ok ok in all seriousness those are some great links, melee can be overwhelming at first. Most of us have forgotten the feeling since we've been with the game so long.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Stick dis thread to help new players. Especially those who might be interested after watching EVO

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
This thread is almost on page 2. Bump for the sticky, please.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm sure it hasn't been stickied because there's already been this sort of redundant stickied thread

2014 SSBM Compendium of Knowledge (Updated 1/2/14)
But new kids keep on missing it still.... I say just keep this one alive so there's no way they can miss it. Or merge the two
Yeah, but the Compendium is more of an index of terms, techs, frame data, and character properties while this thread is more of a "Smash Skrub Survival Guide" type of thing. The Compendium is geared more towards general use (with a small beginner's section), but this is more specialized and geared towards people who are just starting out.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yeah, but the Compendium is more of an index of terms, techs, frame data, and character properties while this thread is more of a "Smash Skrub Survival Guide" type of thing. The Compendium is geared more towards general use (with a small beginner's section), but this is more specialized and geared towards people who are just starting out.
Not really, most of the links here are there (in some variation) including even the "My first tournament" thread, finding local scene and character specific boards. As well as many MANY more great links and forum directories. Even discussion about wobbling, tier list, Melee History, etc are in there.

The problem is the new kids don't have the attention span to find what they need from there or they have no clue what a stickied thread even is...

The logical thing for the mods to do is perhaps link this thread under the first "for beginners" bullet point, having both threads stickied wouldn't make much sense (although this thread title is more obvious). I fear either way new kids will still miss it and keep posting the same crap over and over.

Last edited:

vien

Smash Rookie
They have a beginner section thats pretty good.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Too bad there weren't more guides either written by or voted on by high level/top players. Useful links by character would be best imo. At least, after the most basic of info is delivered.

Top Bottom