• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful ATs for R.O.B.?

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
I've been trying to soak in as many techs as I can since sm4sh was released, but with so many being discovered, It's hard to pick out the ones that ROB actually benefits from. What have my fellow smashers out there been using to make their ROB game better?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The only ones I can think of at the moment are the usual B-reversing your moves and gyro canceling (which is hard as balls to get the timing for me still)

Also with ROB's side-B, his horizontal mobility is pretty dang good during it, so you can weave in and out and trick your opponent into dropping their shield or doing something beneficial for you.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Recovering with your back towards the direction you're heading is nice bc you can use dair to get some momentum in that direction and then you can bair to shift momentum and then b-rev gyro cancel to shift momentum once again.

The only ones I can think of at the moment are the usual B-reversing your moves and gyro canceling (which is hard as balls to get the timing for me still)
Also with ROB's side-B, his horizontal mobility is pretty dang good during it, so you can weave in and out and trick your opponent into dropping their shield or doing something beneficial for you.
B-rev gyro cancelling is not hard at all if you prime a shield. What I mean is, hold down shield ahead of time, never letting go of it, and then performing the input. The gyro cancel will be done perfectly. Of course, being able to time is would be overall more efficient, but you need to break out of your up b anyways, so why not prime a shield input during the middle of an aerial animation?

You can even spam gyro cancels in front of your opponent to fake them out. He does this much quicker than in Brawl and PM

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Dance-dashing could be useful since ROB's sidesmash doesn't have too bad a startup. It's also useful in general since you can cancel your momentum better than just regular dashing. Plus, since ROB isn't that fast a character, it wouldn't be that hard to get the timing down.

Otherwise B-reversal seems like pretty much it, and even then it's not a tech that you NEED to know to be good with ROB, more like a tech that could save you depending on the situation. It is fun to try and learn, though.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The harder and more useful way is to press downb then shield like 1 frame after.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I learned something today that can be implemented into your game to slightly increase damage output with ROB and the Gyro.

Essentially, when you throw an item in Smash, it can be thrown at 2 strengths, with varying speeds and damages. For most characters this is largely irrelevant information competitively (and is never something I have heard of before, I rediscovered it in the 3DS waiting room). For ROB, it can tack on a little more damage with the Gyro. A normal throw does 9% whereas a Smash throw (performed as the name suggests) will do 11%. For Wii U players this may be unnecessary info (I am not sure how throwing with the C-Stick works) but as a 3DS player it's certainly useful.

(This is definitely not new as it is mentioned in the Smashwiki article on item throwing. One of the guides also mentions 10-11% for a directional gyro throw though that is not what it really is - you can walk, throw in same direction and only score 8-9% damage. Other guides I saw didn't seem to mention it at all. My assumption is it may already be done through C-Sticking on Wii U but I thought I'd post it for the sake of 3DS users if nothing else.)

Last edited:

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
I learned something today that can be implemented into your game to slightly increase damage output with ROB and the Gyro.

Essentially, when you throw an item in Smash, it can be thrown at 2 strengths, with varying speeds and damages. For most characters this is largely irrelevant information competitively (and is never something I have heard of before, I rediscovered it in the 3DS waiting room). For ROB, it can tack on a little more damage with the Gyro. A normal throw does 9% whereas a Smash throw (performed as the name suggests) will do 11%. For Wii U players this may be unnecessary info (I am not sure how throwing with the C-Stick works) but as a 3DS player it's certainly useful.

(This is definitely not new as it is mentioned in the Smashwiki article on item throwing. One of the guides also mentions 10-11% for a directional gyro throw though that is not what it really is - you can walk, throw in same direction and only score 8-9% damage. Other guides I saw didn't seem to mention it at all. My assumption is it may already be done through C-Sticking on Wii U but I thought I'd post it for the sake of 3DS users if nothing else.)
Another interesting technique with throwing the gyro is throwing it as soon as you roll in the shield as though you are glide tossing. It delivers a smash throw and is great for faking out players as well as throwing behind you and moving slightly as you throw.
An obvious one with the gyro is grabbing in air, dropping the gyro. Another trick move.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
If you Gyro drop then immediately do any aerial attack you will still hold the Gyro while doing the aerial attack. This is a very basic technique that also was in brawl, but it's very useful imo and i haven't seen that many ROBs do it.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I do that accidentally sometimes. I have a tendency to press buttons too quickly and sometimes I regrab my gyro immediately.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hey beepos and beepas,
this still applies to Smash 4:

If you Gyro drop then immediately do any aerial attack you will still hold the Gyro while doing the aerial attack. This is a very basic technique that also was in brawl, but it's very useful imo and i haven't seen that many ROBs do it.
I find it pretty easy to do it with nair since I wont have my thumb on the control stick at the time of doing my nair.

What I like even better is to do it with fair, but the way I do it to make my life easier is: Set up taunt to grab. That way, then I take my thumb off the stick and press grab, I will always z drop and not hard toss, and then I'll just do my fair with the c-stick.

You're right, not a lot of ppl do this. We need more of it.

We usually refer to the tosses as weak/soft toss and strong toss. In Brawl, you used to be able to glidetoss a weak toss, which would make ROB glide with the gyro while it was being launched, and he could recatch it! It was insanely hard but I was getting it pretty consistently towards the end. See video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2DwjTTTvQA
(I would embed it here, but it has swearing in it)

Anywho, how to do the tosses:

Weak toss:
While standing still, press A.
While walking (no matter the speed), press A.
While airborne, press A (no direction).

Strong toss:
While running, press A.
While standing, flick the C stick.
While airborne, flick the C stick.
While airborne, hold a direction and press A.

Edit: after playing with this some on my 3DS @ work, I'm actually getting a little confused on how the gyro is behaving. I'm starting to question if I'm hard tossing or soft/weak tossing. Hmm, I'll figure this out tonight when I'm home and with my Wii U. So check back tonight.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If anyone does want to see some uses for the gyro dropping, I know at least my matches in the video thread have some basic uses of it. I mostly use it to force my opponent to either shield it or go where I can hit them. For example, drop it low and be high ready to hit them.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I find it pretty easy to do it with nair since I wont have my thumb on the control stick at the time of doing my nair.

What I like even better is to do it with fair, but the way I do it to make my life easier is: Set up taunt to grab. That way, then I take my thumb off the stick and press grab, I will always z drop and not hard toss, and then I'll just do my fair with the c-stick.

You're right, not a lot of ppl do this. We need more of it.
Thanks for the tip! I sometimes mess up when im trying to do Gyrodropped Fairs but setting grab to Dpad Up should make it easier.

Last edited:

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
It's not a tech specific to ROB, but instant throwing still applies too.
Air-dodge to catch an item in the air and cancel the air-dodge animation by simultaneously flicking c-stick in the direction you want to throw. Good to know if your character can spawn projectiles ;D

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
Pretty old news, but I'm having difficulty trying to JCGT (Jump Cancel Glide Toss) on a consistent Any tips on how to try and do it more consistently? Just so I can find a way to try and take advantage of the technique more efficiently. Thanks!

Hey beepos and beepas,
this still applies to Smash 4:
This actually ended up being very useful. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I secondary rob remembered that b reversal gyro canceling was a thing, I have been messing around with it and it is actually really easy. If you jump and hold shield at the same time only the jump animation comes out and it allows for good movement when throwing out projectiles.
B reversaling (I guess that is a word) twice is really fun, check it out :3

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
For the Gyro Cancel B-Reversal I wonder if doing it multiple times in the air for criss-crossing back and forth is still a thing? I've seen OCEAN do it back in Brawl but I haven't seen anyone else do it in Smash 4 yet.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
For the Gyro Cancel B-Reversal I wonder if doing it multiple times in the air for criss-crossing back and forth is still a thing? I've seen OCEAN do it back in Brawl but I haven't seen anyone else do it in Smash 4 yet.
As difficult as it can be to do in Sm4sh, it's sort of unreliable unless you can practically do it blindfolded. Screwing it up and getting punished for it is something I'm sure people don't want to risk.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
As difficult as it can be to do in Sm4sh, it's sort of unreliable unless you can practically do it blindfolded. Screwing it up and getting punished for it is something I'm sure people don't want to risk.
Thought so, it is pretty hard for me to do consistently with a 3DS.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Although I know a lot of the posters in this thread have already seen it, I wrote a guide on some useful ROB ATs with some execution tips if you're looking for practical stuff to learn
Can confirm. Was an incredible guide and super informative. If any of you haven't read it and are looking to step up your ROB game, that's your first stop.

Top Bottom