• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Usage of Withdraw

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm new to Project M and I thought Squirtle looked like a really cool character, so I wanted to try picking him up. I hear his Side B, Withdraw, is a great move and can be used to chase opponents to continue combos and stuff. However, I don't understand how it's used this way. When I use it, I always seem to break out on the ground or go offstage and go into freefall. How can I jump out of this move/use it in a way that allows me to follow up on combos? What buttons would I press? Thanks.

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
As far as getting yourself killed with Withdraw, it's something I think everyone with interest in Squirtle has gone through at one point haha. If you use Withdraw, you can quickly get out of it by pressing B again. Avoid pressing the C-Stick and the A button during withdraw, because both will bust you out of it and put you in free fall.

However it's sometimes a better choice to burst out of Withdraw when let's say, you're trying to sweetspot a ledge or something while recovering.

Oh and remember! If at any point you Side-B into someone (even on their shield) Squirtle will pop out of Withdraw allowing you to follow up with an aerial.

Lastly, following up on combos with Withdraw entirely depends on how your opponent DIs. Some people will go up, allowing for a neutral air or up-air string. And then some people will sit in their shield for the entirety, to which you can really do anything.

Get together with a friend and just see what all you can do! There's a handful of situations that go with using Withdraw to get combos started up.

Jackson

Smash Lord
As far as getting yourself killed with Withdraw, it's something I think everyone with interest in Squirtle has gone through at one point haha. If you use Withdraw, you can quickly get out of it by pressing B again. Avoid pressing the C-Stick and the A button during withdraw, because both will bust you out of it and put you in free fall.

However it's sometimes a better choice to burst out of Withdraw when let's say, you're trying to sweetspot a ledge or something while recovering.

Oh and remember! If at any point you Side-B into someone (even on their shield) Squirtle will pop out of Withdraw allowing you to follow up with an aerial.

Lastly, following up on combos with Withdraw entirely depends on how your opponent DIs. Some people will go up, allowing for a neutral air or up-air string. And then some people will sit in their shield for the entirety, to which you can really do anything.

Get together with a friend and just see what all you can do! There's a handful of situations that go with using Withdraw to get combos started up.
Thanks man, that was helpful! Yeah, I've since learned that you have to actually HIT them to follow up, lol.

Top Bottom