• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate Battle Series- Next Battle: September 15th!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
1. Not for everyone. Sometimes people think 'full set up' only means system and game.
2. Assuming 'full set up' means a wii is a bad idea too.
3. better safe than sorry.
What I meant is that a full setup that I am bringing consists of those components.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
cube with funny pictures on it
+ tv with funny pictures on it
+ my memcard with funny pictures on it
+ my controller with finny pictures on it
+ me with funny pictures on me
and I'm not bringing any techskill, so plan on getting falcon kicked.

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
Bringing myself and my controller. If you guys REALLY need a setup, I can steal one from one of my esteemed Eastman colleagues that just bought one off of Citizen Snips.

Xubble

Smash Ace
If I attend (which is looking likely), I'll bring a Wii, a GCN, Melee (with memory card, herp derp), Brawl, and my controller.

And my game face. :006:

I also have SSB64 on my Wii if anyone wants to do that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hmmmm... You're right. I need to get on that.

I'm pretty sure jesse is running a pretty standard melee ruleset, so ill follow suit with brawl. Basic unity, mk banned stuff. If anybody wants any kind of abnormal rules, let me know and ill consider it.

I do plan on testing some experimental rulesets in the future tho.

:phone:

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I will be attending this, and I can bring a setup.

Also I'll probably need a ride if Sam doesn't go, but I'm sure I can hook one up with Jeremy or someone else from RIT.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yo foy on JTegs name cause im lazy.

Just wanted too let everyone know that has been too our apartment that my room will be also used for the tournament, everything is getting cleared out except extension cords tvs and cubes(and maybe that ****ty white box).

And if i can get my money situation set right, ill be throwing in an extra $100 into the pot maybe more, i want a good turnout. And no more of this free **** from me, im done talking tough, im in it for the results now.

<3 Foy.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Whoa, sorry dude. That was Foy on my account. I'm not throwing 100 dollars into the pot. No can do, sorry haha. Mike, what day were you planning on getting here though?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'll probably get there at around 10am on the 21st. The only way I can get there the night before is if nobody who is coming with me has any conflicts, which is unlikely.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
I badly wanted to go to this one! Stupid deployment! Oh wells there will be more Smashfests and I can't wait to play you all once I return. I might even win one of these Smashfests/Tourneys.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So last night I went from playing absolutely terribly, like, just complete and utter trash, to playing like the best I've ever played. Seriously, I have no consistency.

I have no idea how to just play good all the time. I'M NERVOUS TO FIGHT THOSE DAMN IC'S MIKE! :-P

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Confirming that I will be at this tourney, and I'm cool to carpool if anybody wants to negotiate something.

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
Syracuse People:

I'm trying to figure out who all is going to Upstate Battles. So far I've got the following people as going:

Me
Beta
Sharky
JamesG
Dan
David
Trademark
Tyrant

We're going to have to take two cars for sure. Sharky is going to be driving one of them and due to a prior commitment he will be missing doubles. So anyone riding with him will also miss doubles. So anyone who doesn't mind sitting out doubles speak up and you can ride with sharky. The other car will be leaving in time for doubles. I need everyone to let me know what they want to do, because there are limited seats.

In regards to gas prices. We're going to pool gas money and split it between two drivers. This way everyone pays the same price and people won't get screwed depending on which car they end up in. Gas will probably end up being between 12-15 bucks a person.

So let me know who is definitely doing doubles and we'll go from there.

D

Deleted member

So last night I went from playing absolutely terribly, like, just complete and utter trash, to playing like the best I've ever played. Seriously, I have no consistency.

I have no idea how to just play good all the time. I'M NERVOUS TO FIGHT THOSE DAMN IC'S MIKE! :-P
no johns, be solution-oriented. in short, play around it.

the easiest way to play around consistency is to maximize your character control. the best way to have control is to do things that aren't as demanding. dumb down your play style, focus on movement, stage control, spacing, and place your moves. these are technical things but aren't as demanding on your hands. instead, they are demanding on your brain, but it's much easier to have a good brain all day than good hands.

focus your play style on perfect play with your fundamentals, and make everything else secondary. actively practice thinking and try to THINK your way out of situations instead of relying on your hands and character to do it for you. the more you practice this skill, the better you will get at it.

as soon as you're a "smart fox" and not "hey look at my nair" you will do much better and the character's natural goodness will carry you much further in clutch positions.

a fox that doesn't choose when to attack is only a worse pikachu.

the more you use your brain and do easier processes, the less skilled your hands need to be for you to do better, the more consistent you will be and the longer you will play consistently in a tournament. yes, it affects both.

fox can be the best and easiest character in the game at the same time. if you don't feel this way at all times, you are doing something wrong. if you ever feel that fox is hard or that you cannot be consistent with the character, you are doing something wrong. next time you feel this way, understand that you are wrong and seek a way to circumvent it.

if you can't find one, text me and i'll easily tell you why you are wrong and how to fix it.

when you're tired of me being "talent on loan" then you can pay me back in gas money and do it on your own. i don't coach for free.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

the easiest way to play around consistency is to maximize your character control. the best way to have control is to do things that aren't as demanding. dumb down your play style, focus on movement, stage control, spacing, and place your moves. these are technical things but aren't as demanding on your hands. instead, they are demanding on your brain, but it's much easier to have a good brain all day than good hands.

focus your play style on perfect play with your fundamentals, and make everything else secondary. actively practice thinking and try to THINK your way out of situations instead of relying on your hands and character to do it for you. the more you practice this skill, the better you will get at it.

as soon as you're a "smart fox" and not "hey look at my nair" you will do much better and the character's natural goodness will carry you much further in clutch positions.

the more you use your brain and do easier processes, the less skilled your hands need to be for you to do better, the more consistent you will be and the longer you will play consistently in a tournament. yes, it affects both.

fox can be the best and easiest character in the game at the same time. if you don't feel this way at all times, you are doing something wrong. if you ever feel that fox is hard or that you cannot be consistent with the character, you are doing something wrong. next time you feel this way, understand that you are wrong and seek a way to circumvent it.

if you can't find one, text me and i'll easily tell you why you are wrong and how to fix it.

when you're tired of me being "talent on loan" then you can pay me back in gas money and do it on your own. i don't coach for free.
1. To everyone in this region that loses to me. This is why. I have THE WORST tech skill in this entire region. Im not kidding. if you can shine, wavedash, shine, with falco, you have better techskill than me. But this is why I still win.

2. Jesse mains Marth. Why are you giving him fox-centric advice?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
**** post max, that helped me in cali too :)

dude we make the best player-coach team. we did it in pokemon now its bout to go down in melee too heheheheh

huMps

Smash Ace

Most helpfull post I've read in a while.

D

Deleted member

**** post max, that helped me in cali too :)

dude we make the best player-coach team. we did it in pokemon now its bout to go down in melee too heheheheh
sorry, i'm working exclusively with dr pp for the time being. maybe someday though.

Top Bottom