• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Updated Generically Epic Competitive Build For P:M 3.02 :D

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Build is updated.
Short version: this is a build of p:m that is built towards tournament play. We need someone make battle portraits. http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1vh1kc/the_generically_epic_competitive_build_for_302/ is more updated
Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10wxns9t5cqnwct/upload2-1-14.rar (current)
Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2oidgd49gka051n/1-16-14build.rar
Hey, it's generically epic here. I am a competitive smash player. Anyways, I've played a few local smash tournaments and I've won them. I actually was the first to suggest and get in Mario's fire ball catch taunt. :3 Anyways, so I have a build that myself and JosephJoestar made. I was the manager. I was in charge of collecting textures, choosing stages, and making sure everything was viable. JJ was the brains. He was in charge of putting everything on the SD card. He made and put on custom music, edited the stages, including slightly editing stages to make them viable, putting in portraits, and generally did most of the technical work. This build was made in mind for a competitive player. This build has some personalized music, textures, and stages unavailable on brawl vault. This build is in a beta, we currently are waiting on HopeForANewDay to release his other work to further finalize the build.

The goals of this competitive build were as follows:

Music:
  • Add in some awesome music
  • Add music that fits the stage (sometimes it's hacked)
  • Add in remixes (Space Jam mixed with star wolf on lylat cruise)
  • Take songs from the series and add them in
  • Take songs unavailable from brawlvault and put them in ourselves

Textures
  • Replace textures with cannon outfits, such as ice mario, assault falco, phazon suit samus.
  • Find better team textures (especially for pokemon)
  • Using the highest quality textures
  • Keep them tournament legal
  • Personally edit a few textures to make them better, knuckles sonic, pirate chu, etc.
  • Make them a similar color to the color they replace
  • Keep them the "Same" character
  • Mega Pokemon allowed, clones allowed, them dressing as other characters from their series allowed, other versions allowed. Examples: Boshi, Mega Charizard X, Marth with Lucinia's mask, Toon Link cosplaying Young Link, Feirce Deity Link, Knuckles Styled sonic (purple eyes, redskin, green shoes), etc.
Stages
  • To generally leave the first page alone, except for aesthetics and music.
  • To replace all banned stages (except for training stage)
  • Trying to keep the banned stages as close to the original, while fixing them competitively (such as making frigate orpheon not flip, putting ledges over the holes in jungle japes and removing swimming, making delfino plaza stay in the air, etc.)
  • If the stage was unfixable, something competitive from the same series was added.
  • If nothing could be done, then it was replaced by something from the smash series, such as a grab the trophy stage.
  • Stages with portraits and HopeForANewDay 's stages were prioritized.

Where do you come in?
Well, as of now we need someone who can help us look professional and organized. This includes:
  • Take pictures of the textures and stages.
  • Videos of it would work, especially with music.
  • Portraits: battle, stage, icon, etc. Anything that involves a picture, we need help.
  • Making a good forum post that is worded nicely, looks neat, has pictures/video, and a list of everything changed
  • Help finalize the build, check for quality, including stages and competitive play.

Last edited:

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
From Jojo:
Before we begin:

This tutorial will assume that you:

• Know how to navigate through a computer

• Know how to save files

• Know how to drag and drop

• Know where the Desktop folder is and how to access it

• Know where the Downloads folder is and how to access it

• Are using Windows

If you are confused or frightened by most of the above and have no remote idea of what I’m talking about, I suggest plunking down money on a Mac, because unlike Windows, Macs are designed for the most computer irresponsible and computer-******** individuals on the planet.

Not herpin’ and derpin’ yet? Good! Let’s get started.

Step 1: Plug in your SD card

(If you know how to do this, skip this step)

This step should be fairly obvious. Make sure your SD card is 2GB or less. Minimum 1 GB. The reason being is that Project M will refuse to load on an SD card that is higher than 2GB.

Step 2: Make a backup of your SD card

(If you know how to do this already, skip this step)

You will want to create a folder on your Desktop and name it something. For organization’s sake, I would suggest naming it with a date, such as “January 15th backup”. That way, when you make multiple backups, you can tell the difference between the two without having to dig too deep. I would also suggest keeping old backups as well in case something goes horribly wrong.

Drag the contents of your SD card to this folder. You’ve made a backup!

Step 3: Download the newest version of Project M

When you go to the downloads page on the Project M website, you should see something like this:

Assuming you are using Homebrew, you will want to download “Homebrew Option ZIP (Full Set)”.

When your browser asks you what to do, click “Save file”.

Save the file, “homebrew.zip”, to your Desktop.

Step 4: Format your SD card

Formatting is the quickest and easiest way to not only delete everything from your SD card, but can also potentially fix problems if you are playing Project M and you get problems like Stages that worked before suddenly not working, Music cutting into stages that it shouldn’t, weird texture problems and such.

Remember I said delete? Yeah. Formatting will DELETE everything off of your SD card PERMANENTLY. This is why I highly recommend making a backup. Making a backup allows you to retain the files on your computer, and you will need said files for later steps.

Anyway, in order to Format, you go to Computer and find your SD card. It should either have an SD card icon, or it may say something like “Removable Disk”.

Pay attention to what the letter of that SD card is. It can be something like “(E:)” or “(G:)” or “(F:)”, and you will need to remember this letter for a later step.

Right-click the SD card and click “Format”

It will ask you what format you want. Something along the lines of “Default” or “FAT” will work. Make sure it is not “exFAT” or “FAT32”, as those are not the correct formats.

Click Start and click OK. It will be done fairly quickly. Click OK afterwards.

Step 4: Open homebrew.zip

Open up homebrew.zip and drag & drop the contents to your SD card.

Step 5: Dealing with hacked stages

Now, this step is fairly important. Project M adds their own versions of stages into its build, and if you have had any customized stages in a previous build, it will be overwritten.

Actually, no, it won’t be just overwritten. The customized stages from your previous build will most likely freeze due the Stage files not matching up.

This can be prevented by going into the following folder:

X:\projectm\pf\module

(where X is the SD card letter. See Step 4.)

And deleting everything that begins with “st_”. EVERYTHING that begins with “st_” must go.

This where the backup you made comes in. Go to the folder where you made the backup and go to this folder:

\projectm\pf\module

Doesn’t this look like the one I told you delete the “st_” stuff from? Yeah. It does!

You’ll want to drag & drop the “st_” files from this folder and put it into that same area on your SD card.

Next, on your SD card, you’ll want to go to this folder:

X:\projectm\pf\stage\melee

And remove everything in this folder.

Now, like what you did with the \projectm\pf\module folder,

You’ll want to go here on your backup:

\projectm\pf\stage\melee

And drag & drop everything from here into the same area on your SD card.

Step 6: Safe to overwrite?

Every folder in \projectm\pf except for:

fighter

module

stage

…can be safely overwritten. Overwriting means saying Yes to all the things that tell you “Do you want to merge this folder?” and “Do you want to replace this file?” and checking the box in the bottom left corner that says “Do this for all [insert number here] items”.

Step 7: The rest

Module and Stage have been taken care of if you managed to follow Step 5 already. You need not worry about them.

Fighter is a little bit different, however.

You can go ahead and say “Yes” to things that ask “Do you want to merge this folder?” and safely check that box in the bottom left corner.

However, when it asks “Do you want to overwrite” or “Do you want to replace”, say No or Don’t Copy for all of them. And make sure to check the box in the bottom left corner to save time.

Clicking Yes instead of No for overwriting or replacing will put an old build’s characters on your SD card, and you don’t want that.

You’re done!

*Final note: In this process, you will be losing character and stage portraits if you’ve customized them. Covering portraits is beyond the scope of this guide.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Question: what if I want to download this build purely for fun and not tournaments? I don't think I'll ever be tourney ready but I'd love playing on stages that are competitive ready on page 2.

Sorry I can't really help, I'm not great at doing the things you're describing :(

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Question: what if I want to download this build purely for fun and not tournaments? I don't think I'll ever be tourney ready but I'd love playing on stages that are competitive ready on page 2.

Sorry I can't really help, I'm not great at doing the things you're describing :(
While it was made to be competitive, it is also a fun build.
Of course you can download it for fun. Our great music, stage selection, and textures are good for any build. :3 If you don't like something, just delete it. ^_^

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Cool, thanks for the heads up :)

News:
Build is up
A general changelist should be up by Sunday.
Stages will be more updated when H4AND comes out with his stages.
Also looking forward to Sunday. I've been stressed out all week, playing someone else's competitive build without doing anything competitive with it is just the ironic thing I need to help me relax :p

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks for the heads up :)

Also looking forward to Sunday. I've been stressed out all week, playing someone else's competitive build without doing anything competitive with it is just the ironic thing I need to help me relax :p
You can backup your old build and try out mine now, the link is up. ^_^ :3 For quick character checks, just put on 4 computers and pause and reset. Boom. Music, just go to the music section. Most stages aren't changed on the first page, but most are on the second page. :3

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
You can backup your old build and try out mine now, the link is up. ^_^ :3 For quick character checks, just put on 4 computers and pause and reset. Boom. Music, just go to the music section. Most stages aren't changed on the first page, but most are on the second page. :3
Oh I didn't see the link, I'm such a putz.

I'll download this for sure tomorrow if I can find an empty sd card lying around (my computer is slow so backing up would take LONG). Right now relatives are using the computer, plus I'll have more free time tomorrow.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Oh I didn't see the link, I'm such a putz.

I'll download this for sure tomorrow if I can find an empty sd card lying around (my computer is slow so backing up would take LONG). Right now relatives are using the computer, plus I'll have more free time tomorrow.
Cool. This build is full homebrew btw. :3

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I got a portion of the changelist down. The textures, anyway. I'll go ahead and post the texture portion here. I understand now why Project M's changelogs are always delayed; there's so. much. typing.

Anyway, the character not being listed means no texture changes were made.

Changelog 1/17/14:

Textures:

Captain Falcon:

• Original is how he looks like in F Zero Climax (Japan only game)
  • Red is the true Blood Falcon
  • Blue is a recolor based off Antonio Guster
  • Black is based off Phoenix (F-Zero)
Dedede:

• Sepia is a better black&white Dedede
Diddy:

• Original is Striker Diddy
  • Blue is Super Kong Diddy
  • White and Yellow is a Super Kong Diddy with black clothing
  • Purple is a backwards cap Diddy with sunglasses and a boombox instead of barrels
Donkey Kong:

• Blue is a blue high school jacket-wearing Donkey Kong
  • Black wears a tux
  • White is Super Kong
Falco:

• Red is Assault Falco
  • Green & Blue contain slightly different textures. Blue Falco has a white head and hands
Fox:

• Original is Wii U Fox
  • White&Green is James McCloud
Ganondorf:

• All colors except Red are Vibrant Ganondorf
  • Red is a red Melee Ganondorf
Ike:

• Original is a Path of Radiance Lord Ike
  • Red cape/Green headband is based off of Zelgius
  • Green is a Green Vanguard Ike
  • Blue is Vanguard Ike
  • Red cape/Red headband is a Roy-colored Ike
Kirby:

• Original is Epic Yarn Kirby
  • Blue is a blue recolor of Epic Yarn Kirby
Bowser:

• Original is a HD version
  • Red is slightly based off of Morton Koopa
  • Blue is Dark Bowser
  • Black is what Bowser looks like in his super shot thing from Mario Strikers Charged
Link:

• Original is Skyward Sword Link
  • Red is Magic Armor Link from Twilight Princess
  • Blue is Zora Armor (Twilight Princess)
  • Dark is a Black Tunic Link
  • Purple is Fierce Diety
Lucario:

• Original is Mega Lucario
  • Shiny is Shiny Mega Lucario
Lucas:

• Green is Vibrant Green
Luigi:

• Red is a fire red Luigi
  • Blue is Ice Luigi
  • White is Dr. Luigi
  • Orange is Hammer Luigi
  • Purple is Purple Mr. L
Mario:

• Original is Super Mario Galaxy 2 Mario
  • Green is a Fire Luigi Mario
  • Blue is Ice Mario
  • Black is Flying Mario
  • Fire is a better Fire Mario
MetaKnight:

• Original is a slightly vibrant version
  • Green is a Green Kirby + Maskless Metaknight fusion
  • Blue is Maskless Metaknight
  • White is a Golden Cross Metaknight
  • Pink is Galacta Knight
Ness:

• Original is Robot Ness
  • Blue is a modified Ninten with a Blue hat
  • White is Masked Man
  • Black is Referee Ness
Peach:

• Green is a Minty Green Peach
  • Blue is Rosalina
  • White is Biker Rosalina
  • Daisy is Biker Daisy
Pikachu:

• Original is a slightly fatter Pikachu
  • Red is from the Vibrant pack
  • Green is a slightly modified version of the Vibrant Pack Green with a green headband
  • Blue is Aerochu
  • Piratechu is a Shiny + Pikachu + Pirate + Pikachutwo fusion.
Olimar:

• Louie is Louie
Pit:

• Red is Forces of Nature Pit
Charizard:

• Light is a Garchomp recolor
  • Blue is Mega Charizard X (shiny)
  • Dark is Mega Charizard X (normal)
Jigglypuff:

• Original is slightly better-looking
  • Red/Green/Blue are from the Vibrant Pack
ROB:

• Entirely Vibrant Pack except for Virtual Boy
Samus:

• Original is Super Metroid Samus
  • Green/Blue are Prime 2 Echoes Multiplayer recolors
  • Gravity is Gravity Hybrid
  • Black is Phazon Suit
Snake:

• Original is his MGS2 version
  • Green is from the Vibrant Pack
  • "IDK WTF is this" is based on Future Twilight from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
  • Tiger Camo is the Animal Camo from MGS3
Sonic:

• Original is a Smash 4 Sonic
  • Red is a Knuckles-colored Sonic
  • Green is Scourge
  • Black is Dark Sonic from Sonic X
Zero Suit Samus:

• Original is the Other M outfit she was wearing when she was a trainee
  • Green is Vibrant, Purple and Black are slightly more unique (the actual names of these textures escape me at the moment)
  • Blue is her ending outfit from Fusion

Convour

Smash Rookie
I'm still in the process of taking screenshots of all the textures, but here's what I've got so far http://imgur.com/a/xH0Bw#0
I chose to do the training room for all of them to have consistency in the stage and lighting.

Once I'm done with them, I'll do some stages.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I'm still in the process of taking screenshots of all the textures, but here's what I've got so far http://imgur.com/a/xH0Bw#0
I chose to do the training room for all of them to have consistency in the stage and lighting.

thanks. I'm putting you in as a contributor. I'm also updating the subbreddit page.

Last edited:

Convour

Smash Rookie
thanks. I'm putting you in as a contributor. I'm also updating the subbreddit page.
Thank you and you're welcome! All of the textures are done uploaded now, same link as before. I'm going to do some stages now. Question: do you want to stages to be plain (no characters, items, etc.)? Or do you not care if fighters are in it? I can do plain by using libertyernie's stage editor and/or brawlbox if needed.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace

Thank you and you're welcome! All of the textures are done uploaded now, same link as before. I'm going to do some stages now. Question: do you want to stages to be plain (no characters, items, etc.)? Or do you not care if fighters are in it? I can do plain by using libertyernie's stage editor and/or brawlbox if needed.
I'd prefer plain, but anyway is fine by me. :D

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
I think there's only one way to describe what I think of your pack.
Michael Jackson

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
By any chance, would you happen to know where the background music for that song was from? I'd really like to know.

Convour

Smash Rookie
Added mewtwo to character textures, so now textures should be all done for now. Let me know if I missed any.

All stages are done now! http://imgur.com/a/htkZ9#0
Should be in the same order as the stage changelist. Only stage I didn't do is the Pirate Ship; no cosmetic changes for it really.

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Quick question about your stages
Are they updated with 3.0 camera and stage updates? Like for example the Subspace version of Battlefield (Dimensional Space), the one on Brawl Vault was only last updated for 2.6...
Did you fix them or are they just the older version?

I ask because I may use a few :)

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Quick question about your stages
Are they updated with 3.0 camera and stage updates? Like for example the Subspace version of Battlefield (Dimensional Space), the one on Brawl Vault was only last updated for 2.6...
Did you fix them or are they just the older version?

I ask because I may use a few :)
i downloaded them as is... '^^

Top Bottom